Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

register tractor without tax book

Options
  • 13-04-2011 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭

We have recently bought a tractor that does not have the correct tax book, how do we go about registering it?The present book is not matching it at all.The local tax (motor tax) office says that the place in Shannon does not have a record of it.The revenue have no record of it either after I gave them the chassis number.Would the Ncts, since they took over doing the checks for the VRT from the revenue have any record of it I wonder.All I really want to know I suppose is how do I register it as if it was new or imported and I am doing it for the first time even though its a 1981 vehicle I think:p.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Figerty

Have the same problem, told I would have to take it to revenue in Ennis (local office) to get it registered.

Didn't bother, tis insured and doesn't go on the road.

If you have the chassis number, you may be able to determine the year from an online search

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Figerty wrote: »
    Have the same problem, told I would have to take it to revenue in Ennis (local office) to get it registered.

Didn't bother, tis insured and doesn't go on the road.

If you have the chassis number, you may be able to determine the year from an online search

Is your reg number matching what's on car check sites?

Do the NCTs really test tractors for vrt purposes? I never heard of it:confused:

I am chasing my tail with the motor tax office,revenue,the ncts,and the place in Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Jack C

If you contact a dealer of that make with the serial number they can give you year of manufacture. I taxed an '83 Massey that way a few year ago. Maybe the rules have changed now.

Jack C wrote: »
    If you contact a dealer of that make with the serial number they can give you year of manufacture. I taxed an '83 Massey that way a few year ago. Maybe the rules have changed now.

Thanks but its a Davy Brown tractor and I don't know any around my area.I was told in my local tax office (not motor tax) that I could go to any tractor dealer or someone who knows about them and get it in writing the chassis number and other stuff about it I think. Presumably to let them know that I am not trying to register a boat or a chicken shed I suppose.Then to bring to the vrt section of the nct centre and then they can give me a cert and reg number so that I can tax it then.Whether this is what will happen in pratice i will have to wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

If you contact the David Brown Tractor Club in the Uk they should be able to help. They have a lot of the old DB records and should be able to confirm year/month of manufacture.

I have owned a few DB's over the years (25D, 900D...).

I have a DB booklet at home which has the chassis range listed for each model.

If it's not an original Irish reg tractor, you may need to contact the DVLA in the UK to get a 'certificate of export' in order to register the tractor here.

(PM if you need more help...I dont be in this section very often)

Thanks Silvera, I never realized such a minefield doing this task really is.We were getting either wrong info or no info at all.I think the problem was that we were trying to re-register her rather than just register her again because she had no history.No record of her in Shannon.

We are finally getting somewhere I think? because of a good lady up in the tax office in Shannon I think who told us this.But what I just cant understand is that we were told by 4 people in the VRT section of the NCT centre on the phone that we need to bring in the tractor, but when we were in there they told us in the centre itself that there was no need to do this:confused:explain that!.

We then had to wait for someone to phone back with a code or something which they did, but it will be Tuesday until its sorted now, hopefully, fingers crossed.Then we need a form for the gards to sign saying she is to be used for agricultural work( does not qualify for vintage tax maybe?).then go up with a form from the VRT with a new reg number to the motor tax office to tax her,Phew!!.I need to lie down now:P.

P.S we tried getting this famous form of permanent export but it was proving difficult to say the least.We have established that she is a 1981 tractor from the chassis number.

For the record, is the tractor UK registered or has an old Irish reg plate?

I recently spoke with a man who was considering NOT looking for a replacement tax book for his old 'FI' registered car - he was going to look for a 'ZV' plate instead??!! :eek:

I think I persuaded him to persist and keep the orignal plate.

Silvera wrote: »
    For the record, is the tractor UK registered or has an old Irish reg plate?

I recently spoke with a man who was considering NOT looking for a replacement tax book for his old 'FI' registered car - he was going to look for a 'ZV' plate instead??!! :eek:

I think I persuaded him to persist and keep the orignal plate.

Hi again,We dont know if she is Irish or English but there was an older type Irish reg plate on her but it was not for it at all.Lets say someone was up to no good:rolleyes::(.Hopefully it will be sorted this week, fingers crossed:)

jimmyw wrote: »
    Hi again,We dont know if she is Irish or English but there was an older type Irish reg plate on her but it was not for it at all.Lets say someone was up to no good:rolleyes::(.Hopefully it will be sorted this week, fingers crossed:)

Why dont you contact the David Brown Club in the UK?
    Perhaps if you give them the chassis number they could tell you if it was ever registered in the UK or exported? (That would be my first port of call)

Personally I would jump through a lot of hoops to get it's original reg number back (if it was registered here) rather than settle for a 'ZV' or 'Year' plate!

• Advertisement

I contacted a guy called Peter Murray in the DB club in the Uk and all he could tell me is the year.I am guessing that she may not have been registered anywhere and someone had created false details re the tax book even though the correct chassis number was entered into the book.It was a nightmare trying to get any information from anywhere, and the Nct people did not make it any easier.We needed the vehicle on the road so went down the route of registering the vehicle again to save any more hassle.She is now taxed and has her own plate so all we need now is to wait for the tax disc to arrive.The motor tax office could not issue us with a disc on the day I was there because of some reason:confused:.Hopefully it will come later this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭end a eknny

years ago if you had a tractor on an english reg you could just take it in to the vrt say that it was never registered before and you didnt need a log book to get irish reg

years ago if you had a tractor on an english reg you could just take it in to the vrt say that it was never registered before and you didnt need a log book to get irish reg

Possibly something like this happened, or god only knows:(.Sorted now anyway at last.

Fair enough...at least you have her road legal now.

Could you post a pic of her for us to see??
    Did you opt for a 'ZV' or 'Year' reg plate btw?

Silvera wrote: »
    Fair enough...at least you have her road legal now.

Could you post a pic of her for us to see??
    Did you opt for a 'ZV' or 'Year' reg plate btw?

No:mad: feck off!!:D

I still have not received the tax disc yet despite paying it on last Tuesday:confused::mad:.They really are slow in the motor tax office.And being another Bank holiday, I will have to wait until next Tuesday and see then *sigh *:(.We went with the year reg I am afraid. We used to have an 885 which were made between 1975-1980, but she had an 83 LS reg on her:confused:

Pics you requested

p4300728.jpgp4300731.jpg

p4300734.jpg

p4300729.jpg

886800734.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Looks good, don't think you could have got a ZV plate yet anyway. Sounds like wrong registrations are as common in the tractor world as the Land Rover one, fair play for sorting the correct one out.

101sean wrote: »
    Looks good, don't think you could have got a ZV plate yet anyway. Sounds like wrong registrations are as common in the tractor world as the Land Rover one, fair play for sorting the correct one out.

Cheers, not without a load of grief though:(.She will probably be like our last tractor the Leyland who was molly coddled.and she wont be put under any kind of pressure with us for sure anyway.Only light work and some shows/runs :P:cool:

Thanks for the pics!....lovely looking machine!:)
    I'm sure she would be capable of plenty of work if required.

It's strange that more small-ish Irish farmers dont go for tidy tractors like yours rather than putting themselves into debt buying 10 or 11-reg machines which get little use anyway?!

Best of luck with her!

Btw, I reckon we should now 'appoint' you as our 'tractor tax book expert' !:D

Thanks for the comments.There are some sheds out there.Some people would drive just a chassis if they could:rolleyes::p.Pure rust buckets alot of them are.I have the t-shirt printed up knowing about registering anything:p.I am thinking about contacting the mods to put up a sticky with my details on it on how to register a vehicle:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Brianmoynan

Hi Jimmy
    I have a tractor that I want to register it came from the uk but he never sent on any information after I paid and got the tractor collected there is no reg plate wit her and I've tried so many times to ask the previous owner to sent on the details( log book) but nothing it's over a year now what do you think I can do to get Irish plates on her??

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭adne

Hi Jimmy
    I have a tractor that I want to register it came from the uk but he never sent on any information after I paid and got the tractor collected there is no reg plate wit her and I've tried so many times to ask the previous owner to sent on the details( log book) but nothing it's over a year now what do you think I can do to get Irish plates on her??

Jimmy. Can u send me the same details plz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Lads

Can posters not resurrect really old threads asking for info from one of the original posters, try sending a private message in the first place or find the most recent thread, this particular subject come up frequently. jimmyw is a regular here so you were lucky to get an answer, posters in old threads may no longer look in here.

I've also just deleted a series of posts in another old thread from a newbie looking for an old log book to register a tractor. Any such posts will be be deleted and I'll start handing out infractions if they appear again.

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pmaccer

Hi Jimmy

Hi jimmy. Need help same problem

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 9 madlad2013

Hi Jimmy, if you wouldn't mind can you need me the same info please? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭granpa

jimmy if you are still giving help with the reg i would be grateful if you could give me so pointers
    i have a dexta which i rebuilt an have been useing for years now would like to get her sorted
    book wise what it involves ect ,thanking you iam in donegal,Granpa

Mods..may I suggest that this thread be made a 'sticky'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

jimmyw wrote: »
    pm sent

hi jimmy can u send me pm also. thanks

Advertisement