Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The year of being pushed?

Options
  • 12-04-2011 7:12pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is this the year everyone is going to be pushed? if not to the main event into a position to replace those who do.

HBK is gone, HHH is moving more and more into the business side, Rock will only ever be an occasional distraction, Taker's schedule is constantly becoming lighter and lighter, Batista is gone, SCSA is like the Rock, Jericho is dancing with the stars, Kane is playing with his air horn, Mysterio's knees are on their last days and now Edge is gone.

The WWE have been criticised and rightfully for a long time now for not building new stars to replace these names and not pushhing enough people strong enough to fill the void when this time arrived. Because of the slow action they now have to push stars out of Neccesity more so than anything else. They have to stay strong behind the Miz's push, The have to push others like him into the main event picture. CM Punk/Morrison/Christian whoever need to be given the opportunity, while the WWE have to get fully behind stars they are already building like Sin Cara & Del Rio.

The draft could play a big part imo as the reschuffle of the deck in the WWE could be much more interesting given the transitional landscape as a whole. People like Kofi Kingston or Drew McCintyre may get a second chance to become main event talent with a new lease on life and more time to shine. The newly formed post draft divisions of wrestling will make for interesting reading imagine a WWE card just a few months from now (think Tough Enough is supposidly fully finished already and numerous developmental deals were signed not 1)

WWE Title: The Miz vs John Morrison Ref: John Cena
    WHC match: Sin Cara Vs Del Rio Vs Mysterio
    Mid card title unification match: Randy Orton vs Kofi Kingston Vs CM Punk Jack Swagger Vs Dolph Ziggler
    Awesome "Barbie Crushing" Kong vs Rima "Miss America" Fakih
    Tag team turmoil: The Celtic Connection Vs Gabrial&Slater Vs Season 4 NXT winners vs Otunga/McGillicuty w/Mason Ryan vs Tough Enough tag team w/Austin

then throw in a HHH vs Undertaker WM rematch why not, cant spend all the time pushing new names now can we.....

actually why not have The Rock interfere in the main event... :pac:

there is enough talent there if you think about it and pushes are going to have to be given but who will get them and who will take their opportunities?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

You'd think this nearly every year for the last few years but WWE seem to find a way around truly elevating anybody new and they're being backed further and further into a corner. For me JoMo, McIntyre, Ziggler and Kofi should be top the push list but none of them are great talkers. Then they have the likes of Miz and Barrett who aren't great workers. They're severely lacking people who have both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

wwe is ****ed lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I reckon they are going to be bringing back Batista & Jericho.Jericho was coming back but it'll be sooner now & Batista's mma career ain't happening.Ufc aren't going to allow Strikeforce sign a 40+ year old guy with no experience & he ain't getting a big payday anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Surely people can be taught how to speak. SURELY! I dont understand how for these guys that go out and perform in front of thousands every night, cant string together a decent promo.

Great post btw BH. I would seriously hope alot of what you're saying comes to pass. Its about time they sorted it out, and it would be good to see them do it somewhat on their own terms, rather than being completely forced into it say, 2 years down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

D.Q wrote: »
    Surely people can be taught how to speak. SURELY! I dont understand how for these guys that go out and perform in front of thousands every night, cant string together a decent promo.

Look at AJ Styles. If you watch a 2003 Styles promo and a 2011 Styles promo the difference is astounding. TNA were smart enough to put him with the likes of Christian and Flair and his confidence and skill soared as a result. WWE should work some kind of mentor system for promos or maybe have agents for promos in the same way they do matches because it's a problem WWE desperately need to solve with some of their guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Look at AJ Styles. If you watch a 2003 Styles promo and a 2011 Styles promo the difference is astounding. TNA were smart enough to put him with the likes of Christian and Flair and his confidence and skill soared as a result. WWE should work some kind of mentor system for promos or maybe have agents for promos in the same way they do matches because it's a problem WWE desperately need to solve with some of their guys.

Morrison is THE example of this. His look alone would cut half the promo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Well first off, I am sad to see Edge go. But in his absence, hopefully WWE will give Christian the push he deserves and put him into the main event. Maybe give Del Rio the World Title, draft Christian to Raw, have him feud with Miz and give him the WWE Title. Then, when Jericho is finished Dancing, he will return to WWE (hopefully he will return this year), and put in a feud with Christian for the WWE Title, they have proven before they work good together.

I'd like to see Morrison be a real player in the main event scene, but his promos do need a little work. But look at Jeff Hardy when he was champ in WWE, not a great promo worker but put on great matches. I still don't understan why R-Truth was put into the WWE Title matc at Extreme Rules instead of Morrison or Ziggler.

CM Punk, Randy Orton, Mysterio, Cena, Morrison, Del Rio, Christian, Ziggler, (and possibly Kane, Big Show, Sheamus & Barrett) will all be in around their respective main event scenes this year at different stages. But when Jericho comes and back, and IF Batista comes back, it will add a lot more to the WWE/WHC scene.

I would also expect Sin Cara, Santino (you may laugh now), Kofi, Mason Ryan, Cody Rhodes, Swagger & McIntyre to get big pushes this year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Is everyone forgetting someone????

May I present...

Long Island Iced Z!

WWWYKI, bro!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

D.Q wrote: »
    Morrison is THE example of this. His look alone would cut half the promo.

RAW
    I thought he was going to come out with something special last night, before he was interrupted. There was an energy/presence about his entrance last night that I haven't seen in him before.

I still don't understan why R-Truth was put into the WWE Title matc at Extreme Rules instead of Morrison or Ziggler.

RAW
    Cena heel turn? The crowd became noticeably even more hostile to him after he pushed Truth against the ropes, and it seemed like that was the reaction they were playing for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

RAW
    Cena heel turn? The crowd became noticeably even more hostile to him after he pushed Truth against the ropes, and it seemed like that was the reaction they were playing for.

RAW Spoiler:
    You could be right, but to me it looked more like the crowd were booing R-Truth for leaving the ring instead of fighting Cena.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the problem with the new generation of the WWE is that they're all too generic, and as mentioned above they need to have a dedicated team to train them on persona building/promo cutting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭glenjamin

I think the main problem has to be the lack of main event babyfaces at the moment. Asides from Taker and Hunter who will only be appearing once in a while, the only other 2 main event faces are Cena (who gets booed by a section of the crowd each week) and Orton (who is better as a heel). If they finally start to believe in Christian he can easily fill the void left by Edge. But asides from that there's no one else who stands out. Morrison and Kofi would be the obvious ones, but anytime they get a push it's derailed after a couple of months and they're back to square one. If Vince put as much time into creating faces as he does with heels (i.e Sheamus, Miz, Ziggler, Barrett, Del Rio) then the future of the WWE would look a lot better.

The other thing that's stopping new main event talent from being created is the reluctance to put them over clean. During Miz' and Sheamus' title run they never once went over the top talent clean. When was the last time you saw Cena, Orton, Hunter, or Taker put over any non main eventers clean in a 1-on-1 match?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

glenjamin wrote: »
    The other thing that's stopping new main event talent from being created is the reluctance to put them over clean. During Miz' and Sheamus' title run they never once went over the top talent clean. When was the last time you saw Cena, Orton, Hunter, or Taker put over any non main eventers clean in a 1-on-1 match?

This is a very good point imo, the top dogs now need to start losing cleanly to the ones being pushed so they can get credability needed to be able to replace those same top dogs in the industry. Jericho is the only real main eventer who could still be active enough in the next few years that I expect to put over other talent on a regular basis though.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I really really really hope this is the year Christian gets a world title reign, I feel it is now or never for him and with Edge retiring this is the time WWE pushed him.

I also wanna see WWE push Cody Rhodes since his move to SD, dashing gimmick and feud with Rey he has shown loads of potential and has improved greatly on the mic maybe a push for the IC title push and then up to the main event by the end of this year or start of next year. I think having his dad Dusty with him as Manager is another good option for him but as said before he has improved greatly on the mic.

IMO the time is right for Morrison, yes he isnt great on the mic but he is improving (well i thought he had this week on Raw) and seems over with the crowd, I think he is ready for the main event and a title run even if it was a only a month long between ppvs, Swagger was awful was given a shot so why not JoMo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

It's a lot easier to create heels then it is to create faces,thats why WWE is overrun with heels and has so few credible faces.Faces have to be able to connect with the audience and actually be likeable,thats why imo Morrison will never cut it as a main event face,same with Randy Orton.

That's why I think WWE has really missed the boat with the likes of Kingston,Christian and Danielson,all very likeable people that connect with the crowd but WWE refuses to get behind 2 of them,and openly burries the third guy every week on commentary.Remember Eugene a few years back when he first arrived on the scene?the crowd were so into him because he was different and connected with them,same when Mysterio came along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I really really really hope this is the year Christian gets a world title reign, I feel it is now or never for him and with Edge retiring this is the time WWE pushed him.

I also wanna see WWE push Cody Rhodes since his move to SD, dashing gimmick and feud with Rey he has shown loads of potential and has improved greatly on the mic maybe a push for the IC title push and then up to the main event by the end of this year or start of next year. I think having his dad Dusty with him as Manager is another good option for him but as said before he has improved greatly on the mic.

IMO the time is right for Morrison, yes he isnt great on the mic but he is improving (well i thought he had this week on Raw) and seems over with the crowd, I think he is ready for the main event and a title run even if it was a only a month long between ppvs, Swagger was awful was given a shot so why not JoMo

i'd love to see christian get a serious run too - felt he brought credability to the ECW strap when he was champ - but they really do seem to have no faith in him - the trouble with WWE as i see it is that the tend to persist with the bad decisions that they maje far too long and then seem to panic and not give anything different a chance - take the pushes of danielson morrison and kofi for example.

cody has impressed me greatly since his move to SD and thought his match with rey was very good and was delighted to see him go over.

also ted could be pushed the man has surely paid his dues by now - come on give him a chance or release him and maybe he'll find a niche in TNA ala anderson pope etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

There a few talented guys that are hovering under the main event scene but just haven't broken through yet. Nearly there, just lacking that credible main event feel. Morrison, Swagger, Ziggler are some examples. Kingston, Sheamus too. And like someone said, I think that's partly down to WWE's refusal to make others look weak. A clean win for any one of those three over Orton or Cena would make them look great. It wouldn't hurt either Orton or Cena too much either, they're established enough at this stage.
    I like what they're doing with Rhodes. A Wrestlemania win over Rey was a good start, just don't make him use the kneebrace next time. He's stepped up his game and I'd like to see him do well.

These guys have the talent to go far, it's up to the WWE to give them the opportunity and see if they can run with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I'm of the opinion that Randy Orton should be there or thereabouts in the title hunt.

I also like Morrison a lot.

But I really don't know the rest well enough to comment, there's a lot of "generic" wrestlers appearing since I last watched. A lot of nobodies and few somebodies.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I'm of the opinion that Randy Orton should be there or thereabouts in the title hunt.

Have you not gotten your fill of Orton in title matches on PPV in the last 4 years! :confused::P

I hate how himself, Cena and Tripper just batter everyone clean every week. How is WWE going to make new stars if none of them ever look like a star?

The Miz is still looking for that clean win (a throw-away RAW win against Morrison -- which was great btw -- isn't good enough) ......and Vince wonders why he's not taken seriously. There was no cause to not have Orton do the job clean.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Have you not gotten your fill of Orton in title matches on PPV in the last 4 years! :confused::P

Seemingly not. I haven't watched any wrestling over the last 2/3 years or so, so like I said there could be someone better off who I'm not aware of yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Seemingly not. I haven't watched any wrestling over the last 2/3 years or so, so like I said there could be someone better off who I'm not aware of yet.

Man, that's awesome. 2005-2009 in WWE was like groundhog week, so if you've missed those years and start from now, you'll enjoy WWE a lot more. :)

It's like the time i came in at the very tail end of Jarrett's reign of terror in TNA. I thank God that I only saw it for a few months. :p

I was watching old clips on YouTube lately, reminiscing of the good days.

And it wasn't that long ago either, only a few years since Goldberg was ****ing **** up.

Was thinking of starting an old clips thread, not just classic matches but just random videos from Raw/SD from the good old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

It seems to me that now that they have at least 2 matches on the card for next years Mania they want to experiment for a while with different people. R-Truth seems to be getting his chance atm, and I think they're using it to gauge heel Cena.

And for what its worth, I'm dying to see heel Batista again.

Is it too late for Chavo Guerrero to ever get a push in WWE, he is too old? Would he be best going to TNA? I always thought after Eddie's death WWE might push Chavo as face

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Think Chavo's days of being seriously pushed are gone,he is just very bland in my opinion, though he is a perfectly competant worker.

Reckon he'll have a job for life because of the Eddie connection though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,239 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Chavo had a good enough run as ECW champion, despite how he lost the belt in a squash match. About as much as he'll ever be pushed to be honest. Definitely a good worker, and his role in this years Royal Rumble was brilliant, but it'd be far better if the WWE gave some younger guys the push. Perhaps a short reign with the US/IC title could lead to a good fued and helping to push a younger guy, but Chavo himself being pushed? Seriously doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

Sheamus should turn face, it suits him imo. Who else... Evan Bourne should really be creadable since his matches against Jericho but alas. Its funny that you can watch wrestling now and it just seems like there is too much of the previous generation still in the same spots that they were once in. Ie. HHH, The Rock, Big Show, etc. I remember when it wasn't just the main event that mattered, EVERYTHING mattered. The Hardcore title was comedy gold, there was feuds over peoples girlfriends, honour and all sorts of jazz. The most recent thing I can remember (though this isn't saying much, cause I ain't trying too hard) being like that was Randy Orton vs Ted n' Cody. Just a leader "putting down" his lackeys. And then they disbanded. Actually, scratch that, Cody is doing really well, but there isn't enough character development for some of the talent. John Morrison's talent is letting Melina ride whoever she wants. It makes no sense. I can see why they don't want to push some people due to them not having enough charisma in the first place. Flippy **** is cool, but WWE is about the whole package and few seem to really have that at the moment.

/pointless rant

What I'm trying to say is, build up everyones characters/backgrounds and then all the show is quality. It's not all about the title scene... :pac:

Barrington wrote: »
    Chavo had a good enough run as ECW champion, despite how he lost the belt in a squash match. About as much as he'll ever be pushed to be honest. Definitely a good worker, and his role in this years Royal Rumble was brilliant, but it'd be far better if the WWE gave some younger guys the push. Perhaps a short reign with the US/IC title could lead to a good fued and helping to push a younger guy, but Chavo himself being pushed? Seriously doubt it.

Yes could be used to push some of the younger talent, anyone is better than Hornswaggle for him to feud with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Barrington wrote: »

I would expect Chavo to be given a backstage role when the cuts come around this time, a similiar role to Malenko i'd say.

On the point of younger guys, i don't really see too many credible choices to push: Morrison is weak on the mic, Kofi was buried backstage by Randell, Miz wouldn't get over clean with domestos, and they seem to have no interest in getting behind Danielson, and that's just four off the top of my head.

EDIT- i forgot Christian, IMO he is a credible top guy. Would be interesting to see where they could go with him as WHC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Well on Raw it seems the WWE were atleast trying to push new people, be they who most would pick or not. I said my thoughts on Truth/Morrison in the Raw thread but the other guy who could be moredeserving of a mention in this thread is Mason Ryan.

The man who most liken to Batista could easily fall into the category of people that might be picked to get a big push as especially when his size is concerned it is not hard to imagine him as part of Vinne Mac's main event scene on Raw.

Advertisement