Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Most hated man in PW History

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Russo's booking was no worse than Flair, Nash or any number of WCW bookers over the years. He just came at a time that was just before the demise of WCW so gets more blame than most. He obviously didn't help things, but he happened to be the man on the scene when Ted Turner wasn't able to bank roll WCW any more.

Don't get me wrong he is an absolute idiot who has no notion of how they book wrestling (other than occasional ideas that are polished by others in the WWE). But he was far from the first terrible booker in WCW. Flair was a particularly idiotic booker.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I imagine the worst part of Russo is that he's still ruining wrestling and booking sh!te to this day and for the foreseeable future. At least other people have contributed to wrestling in some way.

From reading the Death of WCW, it might be a lop-sided review, but although other bookers have been horrible, none have been quite so protracted and frustratingly inane as Russo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I have a shoot interview with Bob Holly and I can't really work out what to make of him. I don't really like the idea of him beating the crap out of someone just because they are new and it being dressed up as "paying your dues". I think that is such b*****ox. If you turn up, work hard, have the right attitude and are willing to listen, that is all that should be needed. Getting a kicking from some "veteran" as a means of some sort of initiation is just stupid imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Charisteas wrote: »
    Hardcore Bob Butt-Plug Holly. Just read so many stories about him being an absolute d!ckhead to guys on Tough Enough, and working really stiff towards rookies in the ring, such a bully.

Can people stop quoting the Chris Benoit picture. Seeing it once is more than enough, don't need to see it four times.

That's how Holly was trained, and alot of guys did the same (And still do) to new wrestlers. I think there needs to be more trainers like Holly, it's one way to figure out who really wants to be in the WWE.

I was once in the anti-Holly camp, then I watched his shoots. Bob Holly is a legend and I would give my right arm to spend an evening on the piss with him.

On the topic of Hogan, I respect the hell out of what he did for wrestling (And it would be foolish of anyone here to think otherwise) and he is one of the most important men in the history of this sport. As a human being though there are few people who I loath more. His comments about the chap that was in the car accident were disgusting and unforgivable. He is an awful excuse for a human being and it sickens me to hear him open his mouth every week.

Benoit will always have people who still look back at his career with a smile (Guilty), and will never be at that level of hatred. As others have said, he did something that is just unforgivable no matter what excuse is put out there. But he wasn't in a right state of mind, so I think of that weekend with anger and sympathy at the sam time. Benoit the wrestler however I have all the respect in the world for.

Judith Bagwell on a pole match= Russo being ok in my books :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

What did Bret say to Martha? Tbh the entire Hart family seems extremely ****ed up. I eman there is a story in his book about how his older brothers used to piss in the younger brothers mouths in the showers.

"Then it was time to hit the shower. Dean and I usually ended up crying because Smith and Bruce would pee in our mouths or blast us right in the eyes, which burned" What the **** like!

Though I have to say, while he is bitter. Why wouldn't he be. He was publically humilliated in his home country, he lost his brother, and was then crippled. The wrestling business did take alot from the guy.

As for Benoit, scumbag. Complete and utter scumbag. "Right frame of mind". I can guarantee, the same level of empathy would not be expressed towards the killers of jamie bulger, or holly and jessica, or any other children who have died. What Benoit did was much worse, he was the kids dad. His hero. And I dont agree with this "Benoit the wrestler" either.

Sure, although what Ian Huntley did was terrible, he wasnt in his right state of mind. I like to happily remember Ian Huntley the caretaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭welchy

Not that both incidents weren't horrible and abhorrable, but saying Benoit's state of mind and Huntley's were the same thing isn't right either. Huntley had no history of mental illness and was cleared by a psychiatrist just before his trial. Benoit had quite a number of problems by all accounts.
    "Benoit's brain was so severely damaged it resembled the brain of an 85-year-old Alzhiemers patient." Tests conducted on Benoit's brain tissue revealed he did in fact suffer from severe chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), and had brain damage in all four lobes of the brain and brain stem Bailes and his colleagues concluded that repeated concussions can lead to dementia, which can contribute to severe behavioral problems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

It's not that simple with Benoit though. I don't think anyone here (I hope) will say that Benoit the man was a great man; he was a child and woman killer. But it doesn't take away the fact that he was a brilliant wrestler, and some people can still enjoy watching his matches. I can 100% understand why someone wouldn't want to watch his matches again though and I'll never argue against that.

The right frame of mind arguement comes from that we know his mental state became ****ed during the last years of his life and it could have been stopped. That's what makes him different from say Shipman or, in a sports world, OJ Simpson.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

There is no way for me that Chris Benoit should be the most hated man in wrestling.

That tragic incident ultimately will improve conditions and medical controls for wrestlers more than any other for future generations, which hopefully will not only have the effect of ensuring something like it never happens again, but also incidents like Scott Hall's latest meltdown, to name the most recent example of the completely ridiculous amount of cases of self inflicted damage and ultimately death in the industry, will be as much as possible consigned to history.

Comparing Benoit to the murderers of Jamie Bulger or to Ian Huntley is entirely inane.

Benoit's case, as awful and disturbing as it was, was in reality a crime of passion carried out by a man with a massive amount of accumulated brain damage, particularly in the frontal lobe region which controls personality, against the people he loved most in the world, through fear of losing them. A vicious circle brought about no doubt by his own acquired personality defects, acquired by sacrificing to much of himself in the ring.

There's a tragic sense of wasted life on both sides of the story that is not present in cases of murder for murder's sake or depraved sexual satisfaction. There are few if any similarities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Crime of passion me hole. He systematically butchered his wife and son in a premeditated manner. No crime of passion.

He was a murdering scumbag, no bones about it. A sick fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Bloody hell, I am sickened and disappointed in the so called Wrestling Fans. Yes what Benoit did in his final moments were horrible and tragic but as a performer and wrestler, he was of the best of our time and i can honestly i say i don't hate him, and i would put money on it that 90% of wrestling fans feel the same!!!! So all you Benoit haters, just leave it be!!!

As for my opinion on my most hated I would probably say hogan for all the **** he speaks and what he said about Edge retiring was just cold and made him even more of a bitter jealous man.

Also i have to say both Jeff and Matt Hardy. They were truly loved by the fans and just threw it all back in our faces. Especially Jeff, he was destined to be one of the greats, but now he'd rather show up for a main event match, with a legend like Sting, stoned and ****-faced!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

There is little to no dispute that the vast majority of inter-marital/familial murders are emotionally motivated.

It's a simple fact. Deplorable nonetheless, but the reality of it isn't black and white as say your Ian Brady's and Ted Bundy's of this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Hogan can't let anyone have their moment without passing judgement,guess you could say since twitter he has become the alpha smark,nothing can now happen without his seal of approval,which really is sad as Edge is one of the greatest ever,Hogan is a dark memory now and has outlived his dues. Hogan would get my vote for most hated as he has buried many great guys in Tna just to use the scraps of WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Any pity I may have had for him went out the door when he killed his defenseless son, the guy even before that was a workplace bully and a complete scumbag who gets a pardon from the IWC because he was good at fake fighting.

Also Bret is another who gets a free pass from the IWC because he was a decent worker, he is bitter and the less said about his comments to Martha last year the better.

Russo at least is probably not to bad in real life.
    Legitimately never heard about this. Please tell.

In any case i don't think anyone can defend the man... just that he had huge troubles at the time. I think that at the time of his death, numerous relatives/close friends etc related the love he had for his wife and even more so, his son..... Bah, i don't know what i'm saying, just that it's not just as simple as saying that the man killed his wife and son.... there's more to the story than that. Does it make it any better.... probably not. Just something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Any pity I may have had for him went out the door when he killed his defenseless son, the guy even before that was a workplace bully and a complete scumbag who gets a pardon from the IWC because he was good at fake fighting.
    Degag wrote: »

There was an incident between Benoit and The Miz.

I believe the backbone of the story is that The Miz was in the locker-room eating some fried chicken (Charisteas the vegetarian doesn't approve!), and he dropped a piece of the chicken onto someone's bag (think it was Undertakers bag).

Chris Benoit then took it upon himself to grab Miz's bags, throw them into the hallway, and told Miz to get changed outside. Miz was then banned from changing in the WWE locker room for 6 months.

Miz actually told this story on Raw within the last year, without mentioning Benoit's name of course.

Then after Miz told the story on Raw, Jim Ross took a pop at Miz on twitter, defending Benoit's actions.

Jim Ross tweet - http://twitter.com/JRsBBQ/status/9024164755

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I always hated Rikishi.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I believe the backbone of the story is that The Miz was in the locker-room eating some fried chicken (Charisteas the vegetarian doesn't approve!),

Grames Bond the butchers son DEFINATELY doesnt approve of this! ;)

I lost every ounce of respect i had for hogan when i heard his phone convo he had with nick when he was in jail - blaming poor john for the accident, talking about how his "karma" rubbed off on poor little nick! Absolute disgrace of a human being!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

To the guy with the Miz/Benoit story.I could be wrong but I think Miz got banned by WWE Court(it was a mock Courtcase where JBL played the role of a Judge & the Lockeroom decided to ban Miz).Have to admit I hate Hogan, Bischoff & Russo a lot. Hate Scotch Hall too the guy has been given so many chances & stays screwing them up. Nash too is so Lazy i'm suprised he found work so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Degag wrote: »

In any case i don't think anyone can defend the man... just that he had huge troubles at the time. I think that at the time of his death, numerous relatives/close friends etc related the love he had for his wife and even more so, his son..... Bah, i don't know what i'm saying, just that it's not just as simple as saying that the man killed his wife and son.... there's more to the story than that. Does it make it any better.... probably not. Just something to consider.

Cahristas explained the story. He has always had a reputation as a bully, but the IWC downplayed because he was a great worker, he rolled with Hardcore Holly who gets quite a lot of flack for this but as he wasn't much of a worker the IWC don't mind slagging the **** out of him.

On the murdering, I know its not black and white but when you really think about what he done which was total evil, I can't defend him no matter how good his workrate is unlike the rest of the IWC who still handle him with kid gloves because he was good at pretending to fight.:(

Its just madness really when you consider the venom that the likes of Hunter and Russo receive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I always hated Rikishi.

Why?

On the murdering, I know its not black and white but when you really think about what he done which was total evil, I can't defend him no matter how good his workrate is unlike the rest of the IWC who still handle him with kid gloves because he was good at pretending to fight

It is not that simple though. Yes it was a terrible act, nobody pretends otherwise. But and it is a big but, the guy was torn apart due to mental issues from brain damage and drugs. He wasn't in his right mind. It was a terrible act and can never be forgiven. But there are caveats to it and it is simplistic to just say people treat him with kid gloves because he was good at what he did.

Mental illness can make people do terrible things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I always thought it was Matt Striker that Benoit banned from the locker room for disrespecting Shawn Michaels?

And he made him do a thousand squats and did them with him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

i heard it was davari that did the squats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

It is not that simple though. Yes it was a terrible act, nobody pretends otherwise. But and it is a big but, the guy was torn apart due to mental issues from brain damage and drugs. He wasn't in his right mind. It was a terrible act and can never be forgiven. But there are caveats to it and it is simplistic to just say people treat him with kid gloves because he was good at what he did.

But surely most child murderers are driven by some form of mental illness?

There isn't really too much difference between him and anyone else that killed a child. The outcome is the same, no matter the caveats. A kid is dead for no reason.

D.Q wrote: »
    But surely most child murderers are driven by some form of mental illness?

There isn't really too much difference between him and anyone else that killed a child. The outcome is the same, no matter the caveats. A kid is dead for no reason.

His illness did come from something specific though, namely modern pro wrestling's drive to crazy bumps. I'm not defending him, it was indefensible. I'm just saying you must remember that he was suffering from an illness.

I view him as slightly different to somebody like Bundy who was just a lunatic to begin with. Benoit may have had underlying emotional issues, but I don't think they would have came out in that way were he not taking the bumps he took and on the drugs he was on. I don't think wrestling should demonise him for something that wrestling played a part in creating.

WWE are right to never mention him as I don't think anybody can watch his matches any more. But it should be remembered wrestling played a large part in creating the monster. No different to the many other men driven mad by wrestling's underbelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Why?

I'm not sure he always just annoyed me. The only wrestling match I ever enjoyed watching him in was the hell in the cell and he got ****ed off the top of the cage in that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I lost a fair bit of respect for Rikishi in his short stint in TNA. He rolled in very overweight, dismissed the roster as underneath him (as a WWE failure, he's above the TNA wrestlers) and cut these terrible Rock-rip-off promos (if ya smell what the 'kish is cookin')

but I thought he was a solid mid-card act. Over like rover in the 2000 Rumble!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

He had a quality cage match with Val Venis at Fully Loaded 2000(I think!)

Very good worker for a man his size!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Benoit shouldn't come into this discussion. He's hated for something he did not involving wrestling. Obviously anyone with any sense at all would hate someone for doing what he did, but it's different in this context.

My most hated would be John Cena. Because he ruined wrestling for me.

Not to rattle on but thats a ludicrous way to look at it.

Sure the same excuses could be made for anyone that's ever committed such a despicable act. They weren't in their right mind, they had mental issues. If he wasn't a Wrestler, a very good one, would you be so understanding? No, no you wouldn't. And that, quite frankly, is embarrassing in the extreme.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

poll added, yeah some of those in the poll dont truely belong but I wanted to give options

• Advertisement

el dude wrote: »
    Not to rattle on but thats a ludicrous way to look at it.

Sure the same excuses could be made for anyone that's ever committed such a despicable act. They weren't in their right mind, they had mental issues. If he wasn't a Wrestler, a very good one, would you be so understanding? No, no you wouldn't. And that, quite frankly, is embarrassing in the extreme.

Without sounding harsh, you have no idea what I have had happen to people close to me and I was understanding in those situations. So if I could manage to be understanding when it was personal to me, I think I can be understanding when it involves a guy off the TV.

I'm not getting deep into this as I really would rather not, but mental illness can change a person drastically. I have pretty clearly said twice already that I don't forgive the act as it was despicable. But it is extremely hypocritical for wrestling to portray him as an evil monster, when wrestling played a large role in creating the monster.

Advertisement