Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Most hated man in PW History

Options
  • 12-04-2011 4:17pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So as not to derail the Edge thread

Okay there have been many candidates for this moniker down the years from Vince Russo to Vince McMahon and right back to his son in law HHH who even had his own hate filled superthread on here but the new frontrunner has to be the former most loved man in PW Hulk Hogan.

After his recent Sunami comment was added to a whole list of idiotic gaffs its safe to Say Hulkamania wasnt exactly running wild but this latest Tweet of his may have killed it stone dead.
    if any of the guys like me,Flair,Hardy,Andre,AA,Blanchard,orndoff,Henning would have listened to doctors we would have quit15yrsago

but I don't know Edges working environment because they are a media company not a wrestling company. HH wrestlers work hurt!

Who is the most hated man in PW history? 29 votes

Vince McMahon
    0% 0 votes
    Bob Holly
    3% 1 vote
    Rikishi
    6% 2 votes
    Hulk Hogan
    0% 0 votes
    Kevin Nash
    13% 4 votes
    Chris Benoit
    3% 1 vote
    Eric Bischoff
    10% 3 votes
    Hornswaggle
    3% 1 vote
    John Cena
    0% 0 votes
    HHH
    13% 4 votes
    Jeff Hardy
    10% 3 votes
    Vince Russo
    0% 0 votes
    New Jack
    31% 9 votes
    Michael Cole
    3% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Hardy would have quit 15 years ago would he Hulk? Good man yeah. Clown. Nice knees you have there Hulky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Lads don't pay any attention to whatever garbage comes out of Hogan's mouth the guy talks so much bollocks its impossible to take anything he says seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I still like Hulk

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I still like Hulk

I cant say the same

do you like Hulk or the memory of Hulk?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,239 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah, wrestler's work hurts.

That's why he's ****ing leaving! Because he's in pain, and runs the risk of becoming paralysed. And the pain occurs because of all the stuff he did when WWE was a wrestling company rather than a global entertainment company.

This is Hogan taking any excuse to take a pot shot at the WWE. He thinks he's making TNA look good, when really, he seems to be highlighting one of TNA's greatest weaknesses. Hulk Hogan.

Hogan and Edge were tag team champions. Hogan knows that Edge became a wrestler because of him. He was Edge's idol, and now Hogan is taking the hardest thing Edge has probably had to do in his professional career, being forced to retire and give up his whole way of life or risk serious injury, and Hogan pisses all over it to essentially say "We fight through the pain to wrestle for you!"

Nobody, anywhere, wants Edge to continue if it means he risks his health to that degree with every match. Nobody. Edge gave all he could to the industry and no one should ever try and take that away from him, least of all his ****ing idol.

Hogan tried to **** on the WWE. He just shat on himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hulk has just spiralled since the HBK match.

Vince Russo will never be topped as the most hated though.

I cant say the same

Twitter is a disaster for famous people, we all talk sh!t, millions listen when he does it.

I think he was a great wrestler and the most charismatic ever seen. He built wrestling. He is past it now and should leave it, but he has made so many great memories etc, no matter how many stupid things he says wont outweigh the good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Vince Russo will never be topped as the most hated though.

148207d1281638822-funny-strange-random-pics-chris-20benoit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭glenjamin

What exactly did Hogan say about the tsunami?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Twitter is a disaster for famous people, we all talk sh!t, millions listen when he does it.

I think he was a great wrestler and the most charismatic ever seen. He built wrestling. He is past it now and should leave it, but he has made so many great memories etc, no matter how many stupid things he says wont outweigh the good.

unfortunatley that to me sounds like the latter of the two options i posted. Actually im not sure why I say unfortunatly as What he has done for the wrestling Industry and the memories he gave us is how we should want to remember Hulk Hogan. Unfortunatley the guy I see pretending he is running TNA as HH (no idea how to type squared/to the power of 2) and tweeting utter garbage isnt as much of a likeable guy

btw the History bit in the title may make for interesting discussion but im not saying Hogan is that as Benoit has to be imo and Russo would probably come second but atm he'd prob be no.1.

The Tsunami thing was that Hogan refered to TNA as the Tsunami of Wrestling days after what happened in Japan iirc in a promo which then never aired, I only mentioned it as a result of all the posts on here about it recently and as its another example of who he is nobodys favourite now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Rjd2 wrote: »

Even Benoit is more loved.

unfortunatley that to me sounds like the latter of the two options i posted. Actually im not sure why I say unfortunatly as What he has done for the wrestling Industry and the memories he gave us is how we should want to remember Hulk Hogan. Unfortunatley the guy I see pretending he is running TNA as HH (no idea how to type squared/to the power of 2) and tweeting utter garbage isnt as much of a likeable guy

btw the History bit in the title may make for interesting discussion but im not saying Hogan is that as Benoit has to be imo and Russo would probably come second but atm he'd prob be no.1.

The Tsunami thing was that Hogan refered to TNA as the Tsunami of Wrestling days after what happened in Japan iirc in a promo which then never aired, I only mentioned it as a result of all the posts on here about it recently and as its another example of who he is nobodys favourite now
    Ah I agree, its like with Flair you want to remember the heyday.

I agree about Benoit, e killed wrestling for me, was never the same after that.

Even Benoit is more loved.

Which is tragic really, Russo's biggest sin was dismal booking while Benoit killed his family. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

The memory, he has become more a typecast of himself in recent years, I watch him because of the comedy factor...I laugh my ass off at his ridiculous TNA rants and this constant "Brother" being used in every third word

To be fair, I think at 57, if Hulk is still lucky enough to still have a career in PW he should think himself lucky and shut his mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

andre dead since 1993
    tully basically retired from full time wrestling since 1989
    hennig dead since 2003
    arn anderson retired since 1997

is hogan on a windup

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

It's not really the same though, as others have said. Of course what he did was terrible and reprehensible but he obviously had huge mental problems at the time. i have more pity on the man than hatred tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i remember watching wwf when hogan was at his pomp. i remember feeling like i 'had' to like hogan and that he was the #1 guy no matter what. all my friends loved him and being that young, i loved him too... but only because i felt i should.
    i never saw him wrestle (except taped ppv's.. maybe) i never saw him on the tv do his thing, i just saw promo's and vignettes of him. in hindsight, he wasnt my favorite 'wrestler', i suppose perfect and micheals were (from that time). hogan was just this celebrity that was there. i remember when taker made his first appearance and the big feud the 2 of them had but that was about it, the feud with slaughter was a joke for me and after recently watching that match again it confirmed to me that he had just cheated me for years.

me and a friend have also being watching the old nitro's from 96 through to 98. hogan is the weakest f**kin guy on it yet he and his cronies take up 40 minutes of the show. now hes back on TNA and doing his level best to make it the Hogan show. as far as im concerned he can f**k off. he is literally a weird old man hanging around because he still thinks hes cool. sad, pathetic little man who has so many people to thank for making him what he is.

that said, there have been times where hes been enjoyable - rock v hogan for example, but he is nowhere near deserving of the fame and respect he gets in the biz. austin for example is a million times the man and performer he is... and austin beat up debra :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Never cared much for Hogan,he strikes me as the John Cena of his era(look,promos and not great in the ring),I wasn't around for his 80's hey-day maybe thats why,and I didn't see much WCW in the 90's cos we didnt have Bravo,I only really saw him properly during his comeback to the WWE in 2002 and I wasn't much impressed by that.The comments he made about Edge are in very bad taste and in reality it's just Hogan patheticaly trying to steal the spotlight yet again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Hogan's comments seemed a bit tasteless but I never really bought this overstated idea of "respect" and "toughness" that a lot of those wrestlers constantly bang on about. There's nothing to respect about someone putting themselves in a wheelchair when they knew ahead of time that they should stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Never cared much for Hogan,he strikes me as the John Cena of his era(look,promos and not great in the ring),I wasn't around for his 80's hey-day maybe thats why,and I didn't see much WCW in the 90's cos we didnt have Bravo,I only really saw him properly during his comeback to the WWE in 2002 and I wasn't much impressed by that.The comments he made about Edge are in very bad taste and in reality it's just Hogan patheticaly trying to steal the spotlight yet again.

I used to watch Nitro on TNT and didn't warm to Hogan in that period. The whole NWO angle in 1996 was awesome but it was Hall and Nash that made it for me. The couple that with the awesome Sting angle. I was only 12 at the time, but I could see Hogan phoning it in every week on the same show Rey, Eddie, Malenko etc were having jaw dropping matches.

I wouldn't call him his generations Cena though. Hogan genuinely could whip a crowd into a frenzy in promos. A lot of that was booking and in 1996 he was living off the iconoclastic heel turn, but he obviously had charisma to sell it. Though so much of that was self serving and ruining angles. Such as his idiotic self serving, moment stealing actions after the Mania match with the Ultimate Warrior or the way he tried to steal the Mania match from The Rock.

Bret Hart is right, he is just a self serving asshole and his career is full of moments where he acted solely out of self interest despite him being the safest wrestler in the world in terms of pushes and booking. He should have put Bret over in the 90s and he should have returned the favour to HBK.

• Advertisement

Degag wrote: »
    It's not really the same though, as others have said. Of course what he did was terrible and reprehensible but he obviously had huge mental problems at the time. i have more pity on the man than hatred tbh.

Any pity I may have had for him went out the door when he killed his defenseless son, the guy even before that was a workplace bully and a complete scumbag who gets a pardon from the IWC because he was good at fake fighting.

Also Bret is another who gets a free pass from the IWC because he was a decent worker, he is bitter and the less said about his comments to Martha last year the better.

Russo at least is probably not to bad in real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

no matter how many stupid things he says wont outweigh the good.

His in ring legend is secure. No disguising the fact that he is now a complete jackass
    Which is tragic really, Russo's biggest sin was dismal booking while Benoit killed his family. :(

As has been mentioned, Benoit was an extremely sick man who was not acting in his right mind when he did the awful thing he did. Not forgiving him by any measure of means, but there is an explanation for what he did. I will never remember Benoit fondly mind, as the fact of the matter is, despite his illness, he is still a child killer.

As for Hogan, he is a self publicising mark for himself. After Edges promo where he referenced Hogan, the fact that Edge has said many many times that Hogan was a hero of his, to show such disrespect out of pure bitterness toward the company Edge works for? Thats just childish.

Then with his Tsunami comments, and worst of all his "Karma" crap in reference to the dude who was paralysed after his idiot son crashed his car - all these lumped together makes my mind up that Hulk Hogan is a reprehensible individual. (And those are only 3 incidents)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Then with his Tsunami comments, and worst of all his "Karma" crap in reference to the dude who was paralysed after his idiot son crashed his car - all these lumped together makes my mind up that Hulk Hogan is a reprehensible individual. (And those are only 3 incidents)

Didnt he also imply that Nancy Benoit had some karma as a result of messing aruond with Kevin Sullivan and all his Satanism nonsense in the early 90's?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Hardcore Bob Butt-Plug Holly. Just read so many stories about him being an absolute d!ckhead to guys on Tough Enough, and working really stiff towards rookies in the ring, such a bully.

Can people stop quoting the Chris Benoit picture. Seeing it once is more than enough, don't need to see it four times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

the one thing i will respect hogan for is his charity work for kids.

as for vince russo - the man is just an idiot who doesnt really get wrestling. hes smart in one very pure sense but a complete fool in the senses he needs to be smart in as far as PW is concerned.

benoit... i dunno. just such a massive dissappointment. very very dark and tbh, completely outweighs anything any dumbass like hogan etc has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Jazzy wrote: »
    the one thing i will respect hogan for is his charity work for kids.

Yeah that's a good point, plus anyone who watched Hogan Knows Best could tell that he is a real decent family man, i think he's a good person who just makes the occasional stupid comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hogan at some point seems to have been a genuinely good guy. You often hear stories of how he went out of his way to do charity work and that kind of thing. Even Bret praised him for this. Then in recent times he just seems to have changed for the worse. His comments about Edge are very lacking in class but you're almost not surprised these days based on other stuff he's come out with.

In terms of most hated man though, what I find odd is that Kevin Nash tends to escape a great deal of criticism. Here is a guy that was very important in the destruction of WCW who tried to get out of doing jobs, made fun of smaller guys like Jericho, Rey and Malenko calling them 'vanilla midgets', who booked himself to be put over frequently and who ended Goldberg's streak at a time when it really didn't need to happen, a guy who often crapped on Flair and the Horseman's legacy, a guy who was involved with the fingerpoke of doom and refused to elevate new talent.

Why does he always escape criticism? It's funny because apparently a lot of guys he worked with find it hard to hate him because he has an infectious personality, and a lot of fans seem to be the same way. He's taken far more from wrestling than he has given back.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'm not going to dignify comments about Benoit being the most hated man in pro-wrestling.

Has to be Vince Russo. The guy has been responsible a visible chunk of WCW's ailing years and 2007-present TNA, who has proven time and time again that he doesn't know anything about pro-wrestling. The guy only knows turns and swerves, and not how pro-wrestling works. The worst part is that he keeps a job and has the most influential job in WWE's only competition. He has more stroke about what happens on screen than everyone in WWE except for the McMahons and Jean-Paul....

In any other industry, in any other media of all types, if someone said to you "this man's last successful year was over a decade ago, and proved he cannot produce even average results in any way". he'd be in the unemployment line looking for work in a different sector. But not pro wrestling.

Unlike everyone else, Russo's unbelievable incompetence hugely negatively affects TNA, which negatively affects WWE. Nobody else can claim that.

His terrible booking and squandering of amazing potential is worse than anything Hogan can say or Vince can decree. Pro-wrestling would be so much better if he were gone. And we can only hope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Why does he always escape criticism? It's funny because apparently a lot of guys he worked with find it hard to hate him because he has an infectious personality, and a lot of fans seem to be the same way. He's taken far more from wrestling than he has given back.

He's got a lot of stick over the years, the Big Lazy nickname is one example. Or look back at older threads here where he got a lot of stick for his comments about how younger guys don't draw. Nash is far from escaping criticism.

Advertisement