Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attn All Irish MMA clubs - Blood Tests

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mouthalmighty

Skanks are bad

But I agree with what everyone has said with ref to blood bourne infections. If i'm not mistaken to play league of ireland football a clean bill of health is required. (I could be wrong with that just what I was told by a player). So if those wendy boys have to get it done fighters should really get it done. Kinda like an NCT at least once a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I would suggest the lads with loads of tattoos are just as likely to have infections as promiscuous lads.
    Higher chance if the tattoo parlour isn't fully sterelized and safe actually so yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Moloko17

I think I remember reading something like you had to have a blood test to fight in ISKA pro rules(Elbows). Is this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭medicsie

IFS.NI wrote: »
    Occupational health consultants I meant as costs varied.
    Not sure on the costs of the Occys, but I do have approx prices for the blood tests done by GPs as have had several done.

To get back to the original point, would the major promoters who post here consider setting a clear blood test and proof of same as being a pre-requisite to fighting on a show?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

medicsie wrote: »
    To get back to the original point, would the major promoters who post here consider setting a clear blood test and proof of same as being a pre-requisite to fighting on a show?.

And if so will they be paying for them/increasing purses accordingly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

I think a fair few of the shows require a blood test for A class rules. Remember something about Rimas and Henry needing one for battlezone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Just wondering how many of the guys asking for Hepatitis and HIV tests due to the health and safety risks of blood-borne infections wash their mats every day to kill the Staphylococcus aureus and similar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

I dont think tattoo's are that much of a risk these days.
    Tattooing has came along way in the last 5 - 10 years, people are more educated on them and useless or dirty tattooists get a bad name very quick with the net as well as word of mouth.
    Needles are really cheap too so the whole use the same needle on different people is long gone...

If it was 30 quid a year to get a test and the main shows enforced it, it would be another plus for the sport.
    Everyone fears a major injury getting into the media HIV would bad and probably scare a lot of beginners.

You might as well throw in the STD check while your at it, you didnt get that itch rolling round the mats lol

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mouthalmighty

Just wondering how many of the guys asking for Hepatitis and HIV tests due to the health and safety risks of blood-borne infections wash their mats every day to kill the Staphylococcus aureus and similar ?

Fair point Sid but general personal hygiene for a fighter will radially reduce the risk of the above. Regular hot showers after rolling & use an antibacterial soap & you're grand. I use it all the time germs are everywhere.:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

I brought this subject up before

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67886656

and didn't get much of a response so I'm glad that the subject has come up again and that coaches seem to be having some input.

This is a serious H&S issue for MMA fighters and should be dealt with properly, as stated earlier blood borne diseases are potentially fatal and are life altering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IFS.NI

From the responses on here it seems the majority are in favor although not all clubs post on boards.ie also a few havent said what they think?

IMO from the research I have done speaking to doctors and fighters generally the tests can be recieved free of charge from a friendly GP - other Gps may ask for a payment which can cost circa £50.(this is an average)

They can also be got free of charge from any GUM clinic.

Failing the above two options worst case senario your GP is not going to play ball and ask for £50 which is not much considering that is for a 1 year test certificate to help increase fighter safety - some guys would spend that for a night on the booze or a new Tapout hoody!!

Scanned copy could be emailed to promoters when match making?

This imo should be at all levels that include head shots and knees to head?

The new rules are working well as the guys who dont want to do the new gnp simply are doing 'd' class rules which is the basically the same as old c class (semi-pro) only using bigger gloves - getting the blood tests sorted would be another big feather in the irish MMA cap showing the uk and europe we are serious about fighter safety and setting a good standard and example for the sport?

This is just something I feel can easily be achievable and would be a good thing for Irish MMA?

Also as mentioned earlier it should be up to the fighters to make sure that their certificates are up to date.

A test from the doctor will get your results back in around 10 days, there is also a kit you can get from a testing lab that costs £35, you go to the nurse who takes your blood sample, you then send it to the lab which has your results in 3-5 days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Kal_El

This is a good idea for safety but i have a couple of questions.
    Will fighters purses now go up because you are basically telling them they are in alot of danger.
    And will this effect fighters personal insurance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

That's actually a really good question. I know that if you have been shown to have a HIV test it becomes difficult to get life assurance for mortgages etc.

Hmmmm.

I really don't think this is a question of purses etc as genrallybthese tests can be got for free or cheap. £50 a year worst case senario breaks down to £10 a fight if someone fights 5 times a year.

I haven't got all the answers but it's a start, hopefully most can get the tests done free from gp, gum clinic or £30 test kit.

These costs are minimal for what it would achieve

As for life insurance information could be gathered from the insurance companies to see what they say. Saying that boxers have been doing it for years and perhaps they is an allowance for sports testing?

Failing that the test kit option at £30 is confidential and not through your doctor.

I have contacted other coaches who do not use boards.ie and have conformation back from Rodney Moore so far,he is also in favor as he states the euro shows have been asking for tests for years and it's the way forward.

Sorry I misread your first question.

Every fighter should be fully aware of every risk of entering an MMA event that should be outlined in the promoters risk assesment, even if a promoter does not have a risk assesment done fighters should not enter without knowing all risks no matter how serious.

Tests will increase their safety more so than now fighting now with no control measures

I really don't think this is a question of purses etc as genrallybthese tests can be got for free or cheap. £50 a year worst case senario breaks down to £10 a fight if someone fights 5 times a year.

It's very well to say that it's not a matter of purses and that tests are cheap, but the reality of the situation is that if you go to a doctor and ask for blood tests it's going to be a hundred quid between consultation and test costs. That's a hundred quid a year to get a cert to tell you you what anyone who donates blood knows already.

I'm all for safety but most young fighters don't have that money to throw around, since it's more than most of their purses. European shows do ask for tests but they also pay more.

If the cost is so little, then I'm sure promoters would be happy to pay for blood tests for any fighter who doesn't have an up to date cert - this would start a rolling system so that they'd only be paying for a few per show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Kal_El

Im not saying the fighters need paid more because of the costs im saying they should be paid more because of the risks. If your gonna get more professional for the good of the promotion you need to get more professional for the good of the fighters. They need paid more. And when should they get these tests? Once a year? Whats the point in that if they fight 4 or more times. surley then they should get a new cert after every fight.

And also it is right when you look at insurance and life insurances they do need to know about HIV tests. If you tell them your having one or more every year im pretty sure they will put premiums up. Insurance companys dont care about MMA and the fact that you love the sport and compete. They see the profit.

Safety = Good for the sport.
    Its the knock on effects you need to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Moloko17 wrote: »
    I think I remember reading something like you had to have a blood test to fight in ISKA pro rules(Elbows). Is this right?

Is this the case Paul? I remember when Chris Clarke came over to fight Paul Moore he mentioned something about the fight would be with no elbows because he didn't have some sort of cert. Not that it mattered in the end due to him pulling out with 45 mins to go :rolleyes:

Kal_El wrote: »

And also it is right when you look at insurance and life insurances they do need to know about HIV tests. If you tell them your having one or more every year im pretty sure they will put premiums up. Insurance companys dont care about MMA and the fact that you love the sport and compete. They see the profit.

Safety = Good for the sport.
    Its the knock on effects you need to think about.
    As for the insurance companies, afaik alot of people get tests done by other doctors and not they're usual doc so it doesn't show up on medical history that they're getting tested, it does raise your premiums as the insurance company reckons you live a risky lifestyle which is a joke as you're being responsible for your health by getting tested.

I agree it should be a minimum of 3-4 a year. IIRC, HIV can take up to 6 months to be caught in a test, so getting tested once a year is hardly going to catch everything in a worse case scenario.

• Advertisement

Answers

ISKA - yes blood tests required for Use if elbows

Insurance premiums - not an issue if a private test kit is used and sent to testing lab or done with false name at gum clinic.

costs - kits cost £30,Raise-them-all has said 20-30euro guys from the south can get them, the gum clinic is private and free.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Answers

ISKA - yes blood tests required for Use if elbows

Insurance premiums - not an issue if a private test kit is used and sent to testing lab or done with false name at gum clinic.

costs - kits cost £30,Raise-them-all has said 20-30euro guys from the south can get them, the gum clinic is private and free.

A health cert with a wrong name on it is pointless from a promoters point of view, if testing for your own benefit that's ok but not for proof of health.

Could people give links to where we can get all these as it sounds unrealistic and hear say without.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    A health cert with a wrong name on it is pointless from a promoters point of view, if testing for your own benefit that's ok but not for proof of health.

Could people give links to where we can get all these as it sounds unrealistic and hear say without.
    As I said mine's from my gp that I've been going to since I was in school, added to the fact I'm down in the country doctors are cheaper here(though mine is cheap even for here)

Dublin has walk in std clinics that are free if I'm right. I imagine they'd send results out to your own doc so thats one option people could take?

I used to live beside a GUM/STI clinic (yes I'm classy) and while it is free, you'll need to take a full day off work if not two to get in. At any rate abusing a free public health clinic for your hobby is unfair in my opinion. Going to a GP for blood tests will cost about a hundred quid for most people.

If we're to line up with the European shows the test will need to have been no more than six months ago, so two a year will be needed.

GUM clinic tests have been used for years and have no ties to your medical record with your GP.

If you are worried about what the promoters think change it slightly like Mr P Coser for example. Tell the promoter u didn't give ur real name in the clinic but put it similar so they know it's you.

If people are still not happy with that then there's the £30 sample kit that gets sent to a trying lab which is confidential.

Listen guys there's nothing in place at the minute, anything is better than nothing at this stage of the game.

Once you start getting into fake names it removes the point of testing. Any fighter with a blood borne disease will just send a clean friend and tell them what name to put down.

Who draws the blood for any sample kit? A doctor, which is the bulk of the cost.

No a nurse can draw blood and is free up north, not sure about down south though.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭medicsie

No a nurse can draw blood and is free up north, not sure about down south though.
    Down south is phlebotomists and nurses who then pass it off to the lab in the hospital who will then send results to your GP.

The only way we can do this is if lads go to their GP/Hospital and have blood taken which is then sent to a state lab (i.e. the hospital lab) to be tested.
    Your GP will also take blood on request and send it off to the hospital lab.

None of this 'johnny buys a package for 35 quid which comes in the mail and then we send it back to god knows where'.

The way forward for Irish MMA is safety first, and although it is a dangerous sport there are measures including infection control that can help minimise the risk of long term disability.

This also means coaches must start wearing their PPE in the cage, popping a pair of gloves on only takes around 6-7 seconds!.

Well, nurse can draw blood in the north, i did say i didnt know what way it worked down south.

I am trying to come up with answers that are doable.

Heres the site that is used by many of the UK shows - you say 'God knows where'

Well here it is - definately not some cowboy outfit and have been highly recommended to me by shows in England.

http://www.midlandpathologyservices.co.uk/index.html

"Our professional staff are all qualified, experienced Medical Laboratory Scientists or Healthcare Scientists. All our patient facing staff comply with the enhanced CRB regulations. Our support and admininistration staff have all worked for the company for many years.
    Geoff Grimshaw – F.I.B.M.S. Managing Director

Geoff began his career at Little Bromwich Fever hospital (now Heartlands) in 1961, qualifying in 1968 with a Fellowship in Haematology and Microbiology.
    He transferred to Marston Green Maternity Hospital as Chief Technician in Charge of Haematology and Microbiology in 1972.
    He was appointed as Pathology Manager to commission the opening of the Laboratories at Birmingham BMI Priory Hospital in 1980. Midland Pathology was founded by Geoff in 1989 and the company has grown steadily, offering a quality, personalised service to all of our clients.
    Jenny Grimshaw – Company Secretary

Jenny started life as a nurse, progressing into Medical Marketing at The Woodbourne Priory Hospital, AMI Priory Hospital and Edgbaston Nuffield Hospital, prior to joining Geoff as Company Secretary and handling the sales and marketing of Midland Pathology Services.
    Clients

Clients include a number of Insurance companies and their intermediaries, Universities, several Police Forces, Premier League Football Clubs, Cruise Lines, Embassies, Occupational Health companies, Private Hospitals, General Practitioners and Health Clinics. We also do a number of clinical trials. A large number of our clients have been with MPS Ltd for twenty years plus. We are very proud of the reputation we have built up over many years trading"

• Advertisement

I do agree on the glove policy though you mentioned also - something very easily done.

Advertisement