Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edge announces retirement

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

never say never in pro wrestling...ever

• Registered Users Posts: 85,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Now all tweets are disrespectful and tasteless like Hogan's

Chris Jericho:
    "Edge is a great performer and 1 of my favorite opponents. He's also got an incredible MIND for the business. Congrats on an amazing career"

Shawn Michaels:
    "Have had contact w/Edge & he is looking 4ward 2what the future holds. It will b great, good things happen 2 good people & he is just that."

Jim Ross:
    "Edge will always be one of my favorites. I'm so grateful I was in a role to help him launch his wwe dream. Dreams do come true. Edge=HOF!"
    "@ LGA to head home. Another airport meal. Gonna miss Edge. Have 2 think WWE will utilize Edge's mind & teaching abilities. Great integrity."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Was just watching Smackdown there.I noticed Edge was holding his neck when he speared that fat lad that goes around with Del Rio. Wonder how long this neck has been troubling him to the point he's numbness in his arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

He may have seen doctors before hand but it must have been between last Tuesdays Smackdown and Raw that he was told he was finished or else they surely wouldn't have had Del Rio beat Christian for the no.1 contenders.

Always loved Edge. With him, HBK, Batista and Hardy all going in the last few years along with Jericho (actually don't really know his story atm) and Undertaker (practically retired now) WWE are gonna be really stuck for main eventers!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Manic087

I only looked online when I got home this evening to the shock news (well to me anyway) that Edge has retired. I'd love him to continue in some way in WWE (GM, announcer cos he certainly has the talent for it). I wish him the best of luck in the future for everything anyway. One of the most consistent talents in the WWE for years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

GTR63 wrote: »
    Was just watching Smackdown there.I noticed Edge was holding his neck when he speared that fat lad that goes around with Del Rio. Wonder how long this neck has been troubling him to the point he's numbness in his arms.

His body has been falling apart for a while now. That's why he cut that promo in Canada. He hasn't wrestled a whole lot in 2011 so he must have been suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Great emotional promo from Edge.

The walk backstage was nice as well that it was shown him hugging even with the heels especially Diggler who he seemed to embrace more that the others.

gimmick wrote: »
    Great emotional promo from Edge.

The walk backstage was nice as well that it was shown him hugging even with the heels especially Diggler who he seemed to embrace more that the others.

And quite a few divas :p he was popular with the ladies

Looking forward to seeing him get a good send off on SD hopefully Jericho might even show up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

LZ5by5 wrote: »

god jesus thats brilliant - i miss shawn.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Honestly I'm not that sad to see Edge go - I really think he needed time off as he's been pretty off-form since he returned far too early at RR2010. He's been going full-throttle since 2005 in the main event scene so his departure only opens up a spot.

I don't believe this is the end, I imagine he'll rehab etc but I can't see him not returning for a quick stint, possibly at Mania (maybe not 2012, but 2013 etc)... It's like hotel California in the WWE*.

I'm more gloomy that we never got a proper E&C reunion, run as tag champs/doing funny backstage stuff and a heel turn/feud/elevate Christian. :(

Edge on form is absolute gold. WWE really tried getting him over for so long (he wasn't over from 2001-2004, shaving Angle etc) and has Matt Hardy/Lita to thank for his ascention to main event status. He really took the ball in 2005 and ran with it, despite Cena never really putting him over.

It's kinda sad that he never had a defining run as champion, but I'm sure he'll take the most # of championships ever in WWE (aka ultimate opportunist) instead.

I'm glad he's bowing out while he's still relatively healthy. I'm sure right now isn't how he wanted to go out.

Take some time off, but see you down the road, mate.

(*you can check out, but you can never leave)

• Advertisement

After getting some criticism for his original comments about Edge, Hogan clarified what he said in some more tweets.

"I'm not saying anything bad about Edge but he's a real wrestler, Stone Cold and Cena had neck surgery and u couldn't stop em, Or Edge it's in Edges blood,he lives for this business he's a real wrestler,he a lifer,he's one of the real boys,he's hard to hold down,that's all."

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm shocked and saddened at this news. What a remarkable career it has been for Edge who, in my opinion, ranks up there as one of the very best heels of the modern era.

When I think of Edge's career and his defining moments, for me it's not cashing in Money in the Bank contracts, or the live sex celebrations, or any of the other gimmick moments that stand out for others. For me what stands out are two PPV events in Canada and the Raw shows that followed them.

One of those moments was Summerslam 2004 when he wrestled a triple threat match for the IC belt against Jericho and Batista. The match was taking place in Toronto, Edge's home town, and Edge was in the midst of his babyface run with the belt. I was not a great fan of Edge as a babyface in this period ever since he had split from Christian, and the Toronto crowd, who tend to give faces a tough time, completely turned on Edge and were cheering loudly for Jericho. It must have been a humiliating and hurtful experience for Edge hearing his own people booing him. He won the match but it must have been a very bittersweet feeling. That moment I believe was highly significant because if I'm not mistaken, the very next night on Raw, Edge debuted with the Alter Bridge 'Metalingus' theme and was about to embark on his mega successful run as a heel that would ultimately elevate him all the way to the main event level where he never looked back.

Fast-forward then two years later to Unforgiven 2006, and a match Edge had against John Cena, a TLC encounter that many called one of the best matches of the year. The location was back where it all started - Toronto. This time however the crowd were not booing Edge. This time they were going absolutely crazy for him and if you watch the beginning of the match, at the announcements, you can see how emotional it was for him. Look closely and you can see Cena give a nod to Edge, obviously understanding the importance to him. I've always wondered if Edge at that moment was thinking back to two years previously when his own fans had booed him out of the building and whether he felt a sense of vindication.

Again the following night was highly significant, at least for showing what a great pro Edge was. Because if memory serves me right the show was in Quebec, and Edge came out to the ring to another massive reception. This time however there would be no emotion. Edge proceeded to rip on the crowd and claimed they weren't true Canadians. It was a masterclass heel performance and in two minutes Edge turned a crowd that loved him into one that wanted to see John Cena of all people beat him up. That was the class that he possessed. Edge often said he never wanted to be the cool heel that fans would lap up. He wasn't a Hollywood Rock type heel or an NWO type heel. Edge wanted to be hated. He had that old school mentality and presented himself as a complete slimeball and made the fans genuinely dislike him.

I feel now Edge is leaving on top. As I said I never liked his initial babyface run but I have liked it much more in recent years. I felt last year, as Jericho has since said too, that they killed off his face run too early. Thankfully they tried again and I felt it was working. He was one of the guys that made Smackdown worth watching. He finishes his career as a fan favourite and has come full circle.

Last night you could see how much he meant to the fans. You can't manufacture that kind of respect. It was an emotional and heartfelt speech from a guy who has paid his dues and worked his way up the ladder (sometimes literally up a ladder). It prompted yours truly to get out of bed at around 3 in the morning and give a standing ovation to my television set. I will miss Edge a lot. Thank you, Edge.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Edge and Edwin van der Sar. Two great men who will this year leave their respective professions at the absolute pinnacle of their professions, with their health intact and the respect and praise of their fans and peers ringing in their ears.

Wise, wise men.

Edge just saved himself a horrible RIP thread in a few years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Met Edge at a bar in Belfast sounds bloke and had a laugh as i went to get picture taken on camera and batteries died, he just said ahh well not your night and got me a pint instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

My biggest mark out moment was when Edge cashed in his MITB at New Year's Revolution 2006 to win his first WWE Title. He was probably the first guy who I had followed all the way up the card (Michaels was just reaching the top when I started watching). That heel run for the next 3 years featured some epic moments, as others mentioned he played the loathsome heel magnificently. His babyface run opposite Jericho was a letdown but I felt he was really hitting his stride as a babyface since the turn of the year.

It's so refreshing to see a guy going out on top and with his health intact - thanks for the memories Edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Best memory of Edge by far.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Probably my favourite moment

Just when you think you know him :pac:

I'm glad he retired. He truly is/was one of the most amazing wrestlers in the business. His heel work in particular was amazing, and I believe his Live Sex Celebration remains one of, if not the, highest rated RAW moments?

I loved the goofy stuff that they did with him and Christian;

Long live the stream!

Best of luck Edge. I'm sure we'll see plenty more of him. I reckon he's gonna hit some other profession. With his excellent mic abilities, I'd assume he'll be a hollywood star at some point in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Bret Hart posted the following on his official Twitter page regarding Edge's recent retirement: "I remember training w/ both Edge & Christian in a ring @ my house back in '97 & he'll always be one of my guys. Such an abrupt end to a great career saddens the entire wrestling world. Cheers to the rated-R Superstar."
    The following WWE stars have posted the following on Twitter in response to Edge's WWE retirement:

Randy Orton wrote: "Will miss Edge not only in ring, but in the locker room even more. He was one of the few who I could call a friend. I learned a lot from him."

Zack Ryder wrote: "Thank you, Edge. You will be missed. Without you there would be no Zack Ryder. I'll always be an Edgehead. Love you man."

Christian wrote: I've shed my tears...and from here on out I choose to celebrate one of the greatest careers in WWE history. Can't wait to induct you in the (Hall of Fame)."

more tweets:
    Percy Pringle: "Wishing Edge the very best. What a outstanding gentleman and friend, notwithstanding a fine athlete and performer."

Samoa Joe: "A Little late but I just heard about Edge's Retirement. Good People, GREAT wrestler, and will sorely be missed in the ring."

Tommy Dreamer: "My motto has always been I wrestle every single match like it is my last, cause 1 day I know it will b. Thanks Edge 4 everything u hav done"

Kurt Angle: "It's sad to see my friend Edge Retire from WWE. Edge was one of the Best. Your Fans will miss You dearly. I know I will. Luv u Edge!!!!"

Charlie Haas: "EDGE will be missed. It was an honor to share the ring with him, and compete against him. Truly one of the best. Stay in touch Edger"

• Advertisement

my personal favorite match/angle from edge:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

First time poster here folks. Avid interest when young but the current era doesn't hold to the 90s, early 00s. Don't kill me.

I was initially shocked by hearing this retirement but upon reading the articles and snippets on him, it all made sense considering the numerous ops he's had and time was about to catch up on him.

When I was young, I'll be honest - I didn't like Edge. I shouted for the good/bad guys (as you do) and during his tag team with Christian, you'd pick the Dudley Boys or better, the Hardys and enjoy their thrilling TLCs, rooting for the opposing tag team to come out on top. Edge was a "baddie" but it all changed April three or four years ago.

I tore a ligament and partially dislocated my knee in a stupid sporting accident. I was out for a few weeks from school and had nothing to read or to play or any enthusiasm for anything. My brother had bought Adam Copeland on Edge so I picked it up, leafed it, and said I'd chance it. I devoured it in days. It was a thrilling read, I laughed out loud and loved every second of it. Having a relatively serious knee injury paled in comparision to the agony he went through with his back.

I recovered well, thankfully and continuing on. Edge came from his too but unfortunatly it has come back to hurt him now and he must give up his passion.

When Edge went through his Rated R sketch and others a while back I cheered him on, driving others mad as they disliked him. I fell out of favour again with wrestling due to other interests but my support for him hasn't waned and I'm sad that he's gone from the ring.

I wish him the very best in his life and his next moves. Such an inspirational and passionate guy. He deserves the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

what respect i had left for hogan is now gone. :mad::mad:

just read the first page and that just pissed me off. at least edge had the sense to retire before his body gave out entirely, unlike hogan who's making a holy show of himself

anyway, i'm shocked to see edge go, i'm presuming this was the reason why his match was first at wrestlemania. thank you for the matches, thank you for entertaining. plus thank you for being one of the best heals in the business. you got me every time you made a heel speech, :p

while it's sad and sudden to hear this, i much rather he retire now and not retire when he's crippled and in a wheel chair.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Try not to pay attention to Hogan. He's always in work mode. He's a master of bullsh!t to keep everyone always talking about him. He makes any news about himself. Please don't feed the troll, giving him the satisfaction of living rent-free in your head.

Pathetic, sad, broken old man Hogan. Such a phoney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I have to say I'd put Edge in my personal favourite wrestlers list. I just loved him from his first appearance, he just seemed so cool to me when he first appeared. The E&C era was my favourite with him, I just loved them as a pair. Then it was fantastic to see the guy I'd picked out as my favourite from his first appearance in the crowd become a genuine top star. My only regret is he didn't get that iconic WWE title run on Raw that he deserved. He obviously had good ones in the Rated R era, but I think a run as a face WWE Champion was all he had left to achieve.

He had potential as one of the few who could step in were Cena to ever turn heel. This being wrestling, don't rule out that from happening. The last 18 months have been a real nostalgia trip for me as a wrestling fan. HBK and Bret Hart are my 2 favourite wrestlers so the first 3 months of 2010 were great, yet tinged with sadness with HBK retiring. Now all I need is one more Stone Cold match and the end of the Undertaker and I'll have had my childhood and teenage years revisited and buried!

So long Edge, but maybe, just maybe you might be back one day. Maybe a run from a WM 29 in Canada to Mania 30 in MSG!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Edge

One of the greatest superstars ever.

How Good?
    11 World Titles, 31(I think) championships, King of the Ring, Royal Rumble Winner, First MITB winner.

The accomplishments above prove how well regarded he was by Vince McMahon.

He could talk, act out a great persona, wrestle a great match - there was nothing he couldn't do.

I am sad to see him retire but I hope he never makes an in ring return. Its just not worth it.

Here's a really good blog post about Edge by Dave Lagana.

http://iwantwrestling.com/2011/04/12/thank-you-edge/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

very sad about edge retiring but if its the best for the health its for the best always followed his career loved him from his dark outsider to goofy tag team specalist to rated r superstar he was definatly one of my fav wrestlers of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

Well now. Who are going too have in tlc matches with Christian if wwe had planed getting them too tag together now that edge is now longer wretling.

Aslo look what slivervision have on offer

http://www.silvervision.co.uk/products/Edge-A-Decade-of-Decadence-DVD-3-Discs.html

Think I'll get this. Any good

• Advertisement

cena wrote: »
    Well now. Who are going too have in tlc matches with Christian if wwe had planed getting them too tag together now that edge is now longer wretling.

Aslo look what slivervision have on offer

http://www.silvervision.co.uk/products/Edge-A-Decade-of-Decadence-DVD-3-Discs.html

Think I'll get this. Any good

I don't have the DVD but theres some great matches on it.

I especially like the hair vs hair match against Angle.

Advertisement