Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edge announces retirement

Options
  • 12-04-2011 9:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

EDGE RETIRES
    By Mike Johnson on 2011-04-11 22:18:53
    For those who are wondering, the Edge retirement speech was 100% legitimate and real. We were told by a company source earlier this evening that when the major announcement was made tonight, it was not an angle and not storyline.

The story that Edge told about medical tests coming back and showing there was a new issue with his neck and being advised he must retire are true. He was basically handed a mic and told to go out and say goodbye however he wanted.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/edge-announcement

Well this is what WWE did not need. At a time when they are missing genuine main event stars, one of their best has to retire.

Fair play to Edge for showing sense and stepping down. Others (Dynamite Kid comes to mind immediately) ignored such advise, and look where he is now.

I presume WWE will have a full time on air role for Edge anyway be it as a manger, commentator or whatever.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

This is truly horrible, one of my favorite wrestlers of all time, been a fan of the character ever since the first promo videos WWF showed in '98 to promote his debut, but the wrestler has far surpassed all expectations since then, from the E & C years, to finally winning the world title after winning the first MITB (still the best and most shocking MITB cash in) to one of the cornerstones of modern day WWE.

Seen a few reports the last month or so they he had been thinking about it, but only before 'mania didn’t he say he hoped for another 5 years or so? Guess the news since then was what he must have suspected for a while.
    I'm gutted, but as you say Gimmick, better to be sensible and not end up in a wheelchair. Also very grateful to have seen him wrestle 4 or 5 times I believe.

And as Christian has come out and said on Twitter, best to just remember the good times - the 31 major titles, the two MITB's, the KOTR and finally the Rumble last year, and look forward to his friend inducting him in the Hall of Fame someday

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

It was so sudden, I really didn't see this coming. I thought Edge would be around for a few years more :( But better to go out before he does some serious damage to himself. Maybe this will get WWE to push Christian as a World Champ now, cause they will need some more main-eventers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭SilverFox261

Its a really sad way for his career to end, especially so suddenly, but better he end it this way and keep his than ignoring medical advice and doing serious damage to himself. He has nothing left to prove considering he was probably the best, most consistent heel character the WWE produced over the last 10 years.

And while he has to retire from in ring activity, he can still give one of the best promo's in WWE. When he has come to terms with his retirement, I hope we see him back in some form either as a commentator or as a manager for a group of new stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

So no Edge v Christian feud then :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

In fairness, this has been coming for years and Edge has been saying it too.

Sad though, he was one of my personal favourites down through the years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

*RAW SPOILER* Edges Future
    Future retirements in the WWE

Between these two new threads, I'm glad I checked here before watching RAW, I was afraid of spoilers :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It came completely out of nowhere. Such a shame. Edge was always a solid performer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Hulk Hogan posted this on Twitter:
    if any of the guys like me,Flair,Hardy,Andre,AA,Blanchard,orndoff,Henning would have listened to doctors we would have quit15yrsago

but I don't know Edges working environment because they are a media company not a wrestling company. HH wrestlers work hurt!

A massive, massive **** you Hulk Hogan. The fact that Edge has told Hogan so many time that he is the reason he became a wrestler, then when he is forced to stop doing what he loves and you **** all over him? **** you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

There's a reason why you can barely walk now Hogan!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Bad back or not, Hogan should have retired a long time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

We have a mega HHH bashing thread. Half tempted to satrt a Hogan one. He really is a worthless idiot.

Hogan is far more deserving of a bashing thread than Old Big Nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

A massive, massive **** you Hulk Hogan. The fact that Edge has told Hogan so many time that he is the reason he became a wrestler, then when he is forced to stop doing what he loves and you **** all over him? **** you.

What an absolutely scumbag comment, hasnt what happened people like Benoit, Dynamite Kid, and all those guys who died of painkiller addictions over the years shown that wrestlers SHOULDN'T work hurt? They do it because if they dont their spot will be taken, and wind up downing pain pills to work through injuries and cutting years off their lives. Edge is doing the sensible thing and leaving the business he loves for his own health or before he gets paralysed in the ring. Fcuk you Hogan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Was never really a big fan of Edge but it says a lot when he stole a guys girlfriend and came out it looking better than the victim :D. Glad to see him walk away while he is able to.

Hopefully he doesn't get lured back in a few years down the line although as has been mentioned he will most likely remain on screen, anonymous GM perhaps, don't even attempt to remember his attempts to find out who it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭scon86

Hogan is a money grabing **** that should have given up 15years ago along with Flair. Also some of the wrestlers he names have passed away. And hardy is a ****ing joke no were near the wrestler the rated R superstar is. I HATE HOGAN

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Will really miss Edge,always been a big fan of his,his edgehead t-shirt was the first wrestling t-shirt I ever bought!Great wrestler and even better on the mic,was just starting to get really over as a face too,such a shame his career is over but fair play to him for being sensible about it.

Edge went out with humility,class and dignity,I doubt Hulk Hogan even knows the meaning of those words.

Also am very glad that I got to see him wrestle live and meet him in person in Dublin at the SD! show last year!

Whilst it has been mentioned in Power Slam and other sources for a while, once Edge gave this speech we should have been prepared for it to happen. It shouldn't really be seen as a shock or out of the blue.

His news from the doctor came out of the blue alright, but it is not the most shocking news ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,081 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

thank you Edge.

fúck you Hogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

What terrible comments from Hogan. After the career that wrestling has afforded him and the sheer ammount of people he has seen dead because of it, you would think he would know better. Then again, from anyone who has watched even one episode of "Hogan/Brooke Knows Best" it's so evident of what an idiot he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

It saddens me that people have made this thread more about something Hogan said rather than paying tribute to Edge. Edge has been one of the most consistently entertaining people over the last ten years. No matter what he was doing, goofy or serious, he made it work and entertaining. It'll be a huge loss to WWE and Smackdown but his health is much more important. Most certainly he'll be in the Hall of Fame sooner rather than later and I can't think of too many people more deserving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Fair point.

I never ever warmed to Edge as a face. Never worked. He was always a far better heel and was arguably the companies top heel from 2006-2009.

You are right, he has done it all, from the idiotic role in Edge & Christain, to the psycho heel of more recent times.

Just a shame that most of his World title reigns were quite unmemorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

gimmick wrote: »
    ^ Fair point.

I never ever warmed to Edge as a face. Never worked. He was always a far better heel and was arguably the companies top heel from 2006-2009.

You are right, he has done it all, from the idiotic role in Edge & Christain, to the psycho heel of more recent times.

Just a shame that most of his World title reigns were quite unmemorable.

This really, nearly all of his titles reigns were gotten from nefarious means or screwing people over, I know he's a heel but a few lenghty runs or clean wins (I havent been watching it much over the past 2 years so may not be right with that) would have been good, he always seemed to either get injured or drop the title not long after getting it, says a lot when he was catching up on Triples H's title runs when he only won his first one in late 2006.

He'll definitely be missed, was the best thing on Smackdown for ages and his Rated R person was fantastic at the beginning, I still have his Sex and Violence tshirt, my fave wrestling tshirt ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

oh Hogan..... such a massive jackass.

but however, good man edge

• Registered Users Posts: 37,804 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hope Edge doeset do a ric flair and head to TNA. They will probly call him Adam The Rocker Copeland or something stupied like that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 21 theZomboid

yeah this truly does suck. bummer to hear about edge. the WWE is hard up for actual decent talent. the new guys like the Miz and Del Rio are great heels but man do they suck as actual wrestlers. i think they have maybe ten moves between them. the days of versatile superstars is looking to be very dodgy.

but this really sucks. i liked edge. had a look at some of the past footage of himself and christian as tag team and man they were just awesome in the ring.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

theZomboid wrote: »
    yeah this truly does suck. bummer to hear about edge. the WWE is hard up for actual decent talent. the new guys like the Miz and Del Rio are great heels but man do they suck as actual wrestlers. i think they have maybe ten moves between them. the days of versatile superstars is looking to be very dodgy.
    but this really sucks. i liked edge. had a look at some of the past footage of himself and christian as tag team and man they were just awesome in the ring.
    They have them but refuse to push them (Daniel Bryan is a classic example)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Cianan2 wrote: »
    So no Edge v Christian feud then :(

It should have happened when it was teased last year it had so much potential

Anyways teary eyed over Edge retiring :( one of the greats a huge loss for WWE imo, he really was finally over huge as a face this time around even though he was awesome also as a heel

Hopefully Christian gets a push now on SD would love to see Edge raising Christian's hand as world champion

I hope Edge gets a good send off on SD this week

50414_325887796306_7601083_n.jpg

THANK YOU EDGE

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

theZomboid wrote: »
    yeah this truly does suck. bummer to hear about edge. the WWE is hard up for actual decent talent. the new guys like the Miz and Del Rio are great heels but man do they suck as actual wrestlers. i think they have maybe ten moves between them. the days of versatile .

what?? del rio is one of the best true hw workers to come along to wwe in years, this is a 6'4 230lb guy doing kicks you see the junior heavyweights doing, miz in-ring has improved massively since he started

anyway on edge i never bought him as a face, as a heel he was terrific, how many wrestlers is that now that worked for ecw/attitude era wwf that are now retired or dead, the last remaining guys that are still working today from that era are banged up pretty bad save maybe chris jericho

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Maybe it's because it came (relativly) out of nowhere. Maybe it's cause he's so young. Maybe I'm in denial. But I simply don't believe this is the last we've seen of Edge. I don't know if it will be a once off return at a Mania, a GM role or even a move to somewhere like TNA for a lighter schedule. But I simply refuse to belief he's gone gone.

Advertisement