Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIOLOGY 2011

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

sorry for thread hijack...but what do you people think on leaving out ecology completely ...my bio teacher says he wont teach it unless theres alot of people who wana do it :eek: and i seen to b alone ...mind you i still got a high grade in the mocks even though i left out ecology:D

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

brownlad wrote: »
    ...mind you i still got a high grade in the mocks even though i left out ecology:D

On my mock Ecology was part of question 1 and 2 in section A. I didn't have it covered and lost some marks :cool: So think again about leaving it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

brownlad wrote: »
    sorry for thread hijack...but what do you people think on leaving out ecology completely ...my bio teacher says he wont teach it unless theres alot of people who wana do it :eek: and i seen to b alone ...mind you i still got a high grade in the mocks even though i left out ecology:D

I would seriously not recommend that! It's quite an easy topic, very little understanding of new concepts compared to the other chapters like respiration for example.
    Personally, I think the long ecology question is the easiest question on the paper to pick up marks. I got full marks in it for the mocks and it's also a very quick question to do. Have a look over it at Easter, it's definitely worth the time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭NeuroCat

I stopped using the book just after the pre's. I got this little fold out 'map' of the biology L.C course which had major definitions and short bullet points on all the major topics. I didn't answer any questions on ecology or human reproduction in the actual exam and ended up with an A.

In short: Study the definitions, know a broad range of the topics in good enough detail and, if you can, learn off the prescribed diagrams for respiration and photosynthesis. They are very useful as you can just quickly throw them down in the exam and you'll get 85% of the marks (If you know them in detail).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭surfergirl92

My Bio teacher advised:

• Genetics
    • Ecology
    • Food
    • Viruses,bacteria,amoeba,fungi all thoose kingdoms
    • All the plant stuff in Unit 3 (yuk)
    • Human Reproduction
    • The 22 Experiments
    • Photosynthesis & Respiration

I think thats about it.The Biology paper is rather structured, you will notice after doing a few questions,especially if you do them topic by topic,how repetitive the questions are!

• Advertisement

7) Ear

NOOOO!We better not have to draw it,swirls going all over the shop!!Gets a little confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

• The 22 Experiments

Thanks, but that's a fairly broad prediction.

NotExactly wrote: »
    Thanks, but that's a fairly broad prediction.

In all fairness the eperiments are always in Section B or parts of long questions in Section C or bits of short questions in Section A.I think our teacher said they are worth 17%. I don't think you could really eliminate any.But theres about 5 ecology ones...5 enzyme ones,the heart,the microscope and the 6 ''plant-y'' ones.You could easily learn them in 1-3 days!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Yedya

FML i hate bio its so hard to understand the hardest chapters whice are the ones coming up :/

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Yedya wrote: »
    FML i hate bio its so hard to understand the hardest chapters whice are the ones coming up :/

If you don't understand them, ask your teacher about them! Or PM me, I am a scientist after all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭apkbarry

Yedya wrote: »

I can help you also. I am quite good at genetics,resp/photosynthesis, ecology and the sexual reproduction which are nearly full Q's every year. Just give me a PM. I might be able to explain in simpler english than the scientist person above me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

apkbarry wrote: »
    I might be able to explain in simpler english than the scientist person above me :)

When you make assumptions you make an ass out of you, and some guy called mptions...

When you make assumptions you make an ass out of you, and some guy called mptions...

Actually. All I meant was I am constantly helping all my friends and I have different ways of learning things that could help. I never said I could explain it better. I just said in simpler English.

I love the way I never got a reply to my reply ;)

Advertisement