Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIOLOGY 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

There are no tips or tricks for Biology. You just need to learn the material and that's all there is to it. There's a lot to cover so you have to keep on top of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

Well, I don't know your abilities in Biology or your work ethic but what I'd suggest is to really knuckle down now and hit the exam papers hard.

Things that I'm going to be focusing in on will be:
    Respiration (didn't come up last year), Ecology - specifically making absolute sure my definitions are perfect, the study of an ecosystem and pollution/conservation/waste.
    Brush up on your genetics crosses if you find them difficult and evolution would be worth a look. Protein synthesis came up last year but I still plan to have a skim through. It's not likely as a long question but don't forget it could come up as a short one.
    The lymphatic system has only ever really come up once (2006), but this could be the year it returns. It kind of links in with the defence system. Also, human breathing and a disorder (asthma or your chosen one) and skeleton/muscles.
    Human reproduction obviously, it always shows a face, and don't neglect photosynthesis even though respiration is the "more likely one"
    In plants I think structure of flowering plants, transport/food storage/gas exchange and vegetative propagation.
    I don't even know if this post will be of any use to you, but I'll continue :P

For the experiments I think it would be worthwhile to look over:
    Measuring abiotic factors
    Microscope
    The enzyme experiments (including immobilisation)
    Alcohol production by yeast
    Germination factors (water, o2, temp)
    Digestive action during germination (the one with the starch agar plates)

... So yeah. That's just my own kind of plan and then of course, any areas which you have trouble with you need to look over. Don't leave parts out, make sure you're comfortable with the course before you start with the more selective studying. I'm not saying that any of the above will be on the paper, they're just things which are "due" up because they haven't been on in a while.
    If you're, for lack of a better word, screwed, I'd say get yourself familiar with Ecology, Respiration, Genetics, Reproduction and the Plants to boost your grade. They're pretty large parts of the course.
    Really, my advice is to study. There's no way around it.
    Good luck anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ApeLove

I can't be sure (no one can really) but in terms of tips if you're completely screwed...
    * Food (basically always on, pretty simple)
    * Ecology
    * Female reproductive system
    * Respiration

Then also likely are
    * Genetic crosses
    * The ear
    * Muscles/skeleton (I think?)
    * Photosynthesis

If you get time to go over all the experiments, they'll grab you some relatively easy points too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭OldSchool94

My tip is to make sure you know the defense system 100% ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

tip in the senses there ;) oh and bacteria

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Unit 1 and unit 2 of biology = at least 80%

Gauranteed 4 shorts,
    1 and more than likely two experiments and
    respiration/photosynthesis, ecology, gentices long questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭AbsentPonderer

i would say the production of alcohol by yeast is a good possibility!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamhallen

The ear maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

Ecology
    Respiration
    Genetics (all of it)
    Plant Science
    Human Reproduction.

And of course you should know food and the cell.
    Pick between 5 and ten experiments to know really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

You just need to learn the material and that's all there is to it.

Wrong, oh so very wrong.

Guys, the biggest tip I can give is is that you need to understand the material. If you understand it, then you'll have no problems writing essays on it. Rote learning in biology can and will go very wrong. Take it from me as someone who have been doing biology for some time now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

Gotta agree with the above. :) If you take the time to understand a process then you're more likely to remember it. If you learn off a process without understanding it I can guarantee that you'll forget it! It's worth the extra time to get your mind around a concept than learn it off step by step. :)

Wrong, oh so very wrong.
    What is wrong (And worrying) is that you interpreted the verb learn as rote learning :rolleyes:

To learn something is to gain knowledge or understanding of something.

If you interpret learning as simply memorising facts then you have a flawed understanding of learning.
    Guys, the biggest tip I can give is is that you need to understand the material. If you understand it, then you'll have no problems writing essays on it.
    There are no essays to write in LC Biology...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

There are no essays to write in LC Biology...

What is wrong (and worrying) is that he never said there are essays to write in LC Biology, just that they'll have no problems writing essays on what the course covers.

In fairness, learning and understanding are two different things.

Bonavox wrote: »
    In fairness, learning and understanding are two different things.
    No they are not. They should be synonymous. If you "learn" something without understanding it then you have learned nothing.

People think that learning and understand are the same thing. They are not. Learning something, as you rightly pointed out is the gain of knowledge. But to understand something is to comprehend the nature of said knowledge. Often people confuse the two. Just because you know something, does not mean you understand it. A parrot is a prime example of this. Anyway, this is getting OT...

No they are not. They should be synonymous. If you "learn" something without understanding it then you have learned nothing.

My six year old nephew learned that you could see through glass. He does not understand why, though. He just knows that when he looks through windows, he'll see people as he would if there was no window at all. If you're under the impression that you understand something by learning, good luck in your Leaving Certificate. You might need it.

People think that learning and understand are the same thing. They are not. Learning something, as you rightly pointed out is the gain of knowledge.
    You haven't learned anything if you don't understand what you've "learned".

It's rather like someone "learning" quotes for Hamlet despite not understanding what the line actually means. All you'd have done is memorise a series of words.

You haven't learned anything if you don't understand what you've "learned".

It's rather like someone "learning" quotes for Hamlet despite not understanding what the line actually means. All you'd have done is memorise a series of words.

Definition of learning from the Oxford dictionary:
    the acquisition of knowledge or skills through study, experience, or being taught.

In other words, knowing something. That's not the same as understanding something. Memorising is learning as well, and as you said, is not understanding,

Bonavox wrote: »
    Definition of learning from the Oxford dictionary:

In other words, knowing something. That's not the same as understanding something. Memorising is learning as well, and as you said, is not understanding,
    That's not the point. We aren't here to discuss semantics and pointless definitions.

It should be a given that to learn is synonymous with to understand.

That's not the point. We aren't here to discuss semantics and pointless definitions.

Our education system bunches learning and understanding together and this has you under the impression that they're the same thing. They're not.

• Advertisement

It should be, but it's not. Not in the LC. I remember when I asked my HL maths teacher something like "What's the use of the number i?" She replied, "You don't need to understand what you are doing, you just need to know how to do it." Or some such.

But again, this is going widely off topic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭szybki

My techer said that you can learn biology in 2 ways : 1) learn it by hard (which is useless) and 2) read it to understand it ... and this is a good method. if you understand something you will remember it. If you dont understand something : break it ito small parts and study it slowly step by step, watch animations and fill the pass papers.

He also said that major part on this years biology HL exam will be plants. so know the :
    • all experiments with plants
    • plant structure gas exchange etc.
    • vegetative propagation
    • Plant reproduction !!!!!!!!
    Preferably it is going to be mixed with human sexual reproduction
    The rest is :
    • respiration
    • photosynthesis
    • breathing (astma and mechanism of breathing)
    • enzymes + biotechnology + enzyme experiments
    • mix of senses and nervous system and endocrine system
    • mix of lymphatic system and defence system and niutrition
    probable small bit on genetics and cell diversity (know the diffrence and names of nuclear and cell division).
    nothing major on the cell and blood
    bacteria and its reproduction or reproduction of fungus
    and of course ecology - know the nitrogen cyce and chapter on polution

this is all he said

Ooooo.... and remember for long questions you will get :
    1Q from Unit 1 - study of life
    2Q from Unit 2 - The cell
    3Q from unit 3 - The organism
    So you know on which you should concentrate the most !

Short qustions are NOT PREDICTABLE, the are picked randomly, but usualy they invlolve food and food experiments !

Hope these are usefull. If you have anything to add , TELL US !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 senses working overtime

Thanks for your valuable suggestions Exothermic, ApeLove, OldSchool94, niamhallen, Absent Ponderer, teenage dream, brown lad, and szybki.:)

Sorry I don't know how to add thanks to individual posts.:o

I haven't time to think about the Learning/Understanding debate, but it should have a thread of it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

Do you do ag science? Because if you do there is a lot of overlap between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

Thanks for your valuable suggestions Exothermic, ApeLove, OldSchool94, niamhallen, Absent Ponderer, teenage dream, brown lad, and szybki.:)

Sorry I don't know how to add thanks to individual posts.:o

I haven't time to think about the Learning/Understanding debate, but it should have a thread of it's own.

just click the thumbs up on the side of post ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I'm able to differentiate trigonometric functions. Doesn't mean I understand a jot about what differentiation actually does, or what trigonometric functions actually are. I still learn how and do them. I just don't quite understand anything about what I am doing.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I'm able to differentiate trigonometric functions. Doesn't mean I understand a jot about what differentiation actually does, or what trigonometric functions actually are. I still learn how and do them. I just don't quite understand anything about what I am doing.
    Then you haven't learned how to differentiate anything. You've merely memorised an algorithm that you're putting values in to.

Just as an aside...

A function is simply a mathematical expression that converts an input in to an output. An example of a function is the "half your age plus seven" rule :pac:

Say x is your age

f(x) = (x/2) + 7
    f(20) = 17

So that means the minimum acceptable age of a person that a twenty year old may go out with is 17.

Trigonometry is just the mathematical study of triangles

A trigonometric function acts the same as a regular function saving for the fact that it relates the angle of a corner with the lengths of a triangle's sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Well, I lied about not understanding trigonometry, I was just trying to make the point that you do not necessarily have to understand the concept of something to know how to do it.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Well, I lied about not understanding trigonometry, I was just trying to make the point that you do not necessarily have to understand the concept of something to know how to do it.
    Yeah but even so if you just "know how to do it" all you've learned is an algorithm. You haven't actually learned differentiation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

OP: I received a sheet in a grind school viz. topics likely to come up:

1) Respiration
    2) Root and shoot structure
    3) Lymphatic system, cardiac circle and arteries veins etc.
    4) Excretion and homeostasis
    5) Bacteria and defense system
    6) Mitosis and evolution
    7) Ear
    8) Hormone vs. nerve system
    9) Transpiration and Cohesion-Tension
    10) Pollution, conservation and waste management

And for the posters who are squabbling about learning vs. understanding: cut the pretentious bullsh*t, move it to another forum or better yet get up off your petty arses and do some study!

Advertisement