Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

One of the last Renault 4 build in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭johnf2020

G Luxel wrote: »
    AZW 1 to YZW 999 (Mar 1976 - May 1983). The car was still built up to late 1979....

What I was refering to was that--I ran a history check on this Reg number on the Renault 16,.,and it shows a previous UK NUMBER(PIB7060)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

johnf2020 wrote: »
    What I was refering to was that--I ran a history check on this Reg number on the Renault 16,.,and it shows a previous UK NUMBER(PIB7060)
    Thats a northern number from Armagh.

Thats a northern number from Armagh.

Believe me---that car did not come from Armagh;)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ants09

Absolutely fantastic:cool:---a credit to him for deciding to do it:D

• Advertisement

Believe me---that car did not come from Armagh;)
    Re-reg on a personal plate so?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭TheAnswer

What a great job on the R4 and I'll be torn to shreds for saying this but....at what point does a restoration cease to be a restoration? As far as I can tell, the only original parts (admittedly the very important parts) used were the frame/floor, running gear, 1 door and the bonnet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ta2kev

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ta2kev wrote: »
    Bunch of halfwits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

What year/county is JNI?

Wicklow. Not sure about the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

testicle wrote: »
    Wicklow. Not sure about the year.

... JNI 4/82 - 10/82

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭TheAnswer

Anan1 wrote: »
    Bunch of halfwits.

Nice, measured, well thought out response. Surely a case of "each to their own"?
    It would have been better if they'd managed to do it without widening the arches though.

TheAnswer wrote: »
    Nice, measured, well thought out response. Surely a case of "each to their own"?
    It would have been better if they'd managed to do it without widening the arches though.
    In fairness, that conversion is more about cheap laughs for the witless than about any kind of interest in cars or their heritage. All IMO, of course.:)

Let's be brutally honest here, it's not an R4, it's a Clio V6 with an R4 upper body welded onto it. Neither car is particularly rare?
    Not my bag, but it should look interesting when done in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I think its Ok myself, as carchaeologist says neither car is anyways rare.

Then there is this one.......

Let's be brutally honest here, it's not an R4, it's a Clio V6 with an R4 upper body welded onto it. Neither car is particularly rare?
    I've no problem with the loss of either the Clio or the R4 - as you say, neither is that rare. I just find the basic idea of 'I know, let's take the shape of a really slow car and put it on a really fast one, ha ha ha' pretty puerile. If they'd tried to make an R4 faster then that would have involved engineering. It would also, most likely, have exceeded the attention span of their audience.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I've no problem with the loss of either the Clio or the R4 - as you say, neither is that rare. I just find the basic idea of 'I know, let's take the shape of a really slow car and put it on a really fast one, ha ha ha' pretty puerile. If they'd tried to make an R4 faster then that would have involved engineering. It would also, most likely, have exceeded the attention span of their audience.
    +1
    You hit the nail on the head there.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Xlaxeo

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tinyjiney

Saw this cracker on hols last week....totally spotless......others i saw while driving were , pug 305, pug 504, toyota cressida,corolla dx, rwd starlet, R4 van,R5 , and a very old Renault van.....But for the van all were driving...seems a fair number of classics still being used in Lanzarote..

He's Maurice Roddys 4TL that was at Durrow
    PHONEPICS153.jpg

This 4 was on the Celtic Link Ferry from Cherbourg to Rosslare last year.
    3 your people coming over here on holidays and all their gear

PHONEPICS064.jpg

This 4 was in Clonmel a few weeks ago. Something dodgy about the reg!
    PHONEPICS168.jpg

• Advertisement

This 4 was in Clonmel a few weeks ago. Something dodgy about the reg!
    PHONEPICS168.jpg

Reg is from South Tipperary from the early 1970's. Car is a LHD but the planks on the lower door, the door handles and the stripes suggest a late 70's or 1980's version.

bijapos wrote: »
    Reg is from South Tipperary from the early 1970's. Car is a LHD but the planks on the lower door, the door handles and the stripes suggest a late 70's or 1980's version.
    Thats the rare special edition LHD version imported to Ireland by Renault in the early '70s, it featured more modern styling which was to become part of the '80s version.... Of course....

Thats the rare special edition LHD version imported to Ireland by Renault in the early '70s, it featured more modern styling which was to become part of the '80s version.... Of course....

Oh but of course the French plates on it a couple of years ago were fake then?:D

Oh but of course the French plates on it a couple of years ago were fake then?:D

Absolutely, purely a homage to it's Gallic origins....:D

ta2kev wrote: »

Well, heres the finished product, like it or not. (Taken off the HWIST thread in the motors forum).

DSCF0007.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭manta mad

finaly got to get this little 4 out of the shed its been in for the last few years !!! :)

renault4GTL004.jpg

renault4GTL005.jpg
    renault4GTL007.jpg

got it back to my yard ,so will go through it tommorow and see whats needed
    renault4GTL009.jpg
    renault4GTL011.jpg
    renault4GTL010.jpg
    renault4GTL014.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

Thats a great find Jim !
    I wonder was the first owner the ESB ? When I worked in Turlough Hill in the 80s We had few of them up there and the reg seems kinda familar ! A good few of the apprentices learned to drive in them !
    Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

At a show yesterday, a left hooker.

p6190744.jpg

bijapos wrote: »

Same car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Bought a few at the P>T auctions - BEST cars I ever owned !

That white 87D van was probably ex-garda forensics or dog van.

This GTL looks like a Conamara patrol car :p

They even raced them in the Paris-Dakar race

http://www.google.com/search?q=renault+4+paris+dakar&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=

Advertisement