Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

One of the last Renault 4 build in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

The age is backwards, JNI 1 - JNI 999 might be that old but the Renault is about 1981-2 I would say. Wicklow is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

It's a Wicklow Registered R4 and would have been first registered in April 1982.

.JNI 4/82 until 10/82

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I remember an aunt of mine had one of them in mustard. Couldn't tell you the year. Used to love the narrow back doors. She sold it for a Nissan bluebird. Same woman had an original fiat 500 and 2 bambino's. For a woman with no interest in cars she has great taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭manta mad

PanhardPL wrote: »
    It's a Wicklow Registered R4 and would have been first registered in April 1982.

.JNI 4/82 until 10/82

correct !!!!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭johnf2020

Blue850 wrote: »
    071.jpg

Irish 85 R4

DSC08458.jpg

Irish 16 TX at Durrow last year

An Irish plate doesnt make an Irish 16;) Car history check gives a Previous UK NUMBER.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

johnf2020 wrote: »
    An Irish plate doesnt make an Irish 16;) Car history check gives a Previous UK NUMBER.

Surely a late 70s import so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Surely a late 70s import so.

Only a blow in so :D

PaddyFagan wrote: »
    Only a blow in so :D

Our family is 100 years where we live,,,and we're still blow-ins:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

Nice info and pics on Irish R4 manufactoring here...

http://www.reocities.com/richardirl/produ.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DarenO

G Luxel wrote: »
    I would like to see early Irish Renault 4's like this one from 1961 to 1968? There must be at least a few of them on original irish plates....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0A4ufqMWtRlGWyA5BXlVZc-Ur_rfONIQzGI1irRlA-E_WI7oY

JIM 780 was one that I remember, my dad chased it down as his name is James but nothing came of it and I have some Dublin reg ones somewhere that are probably didn't make it past the 90s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

PanhardPL wrote: »

.JNI 4/82 until 10/82

I remember a silver Manta GT/J around here, 949 JNI, but I haven't seen it in a very long time. Doesn't show on cartell either.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭manatoo

Not a classic in terms of the above but a Renault nonetheless - the 25, now that was a cool car. I remember desperately trying to convince my Dad to buy one at Navan motor show in the late 1980s - the "voice synthesizer" - spaceship technology at the time!

Neighbour of ours bought one of the very last ones in 1992 and ran it for 8 or 10 years but it crumbled after that. I had a look at it abou 6 years ago for a resto but absolutely everything was wrong with it - engine, gearbox, electrics, body rust, chassis corrosion, really didn't hold up well....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

The 25 was pretty cool imo as well. I remember the stereo seemed to take up half the centre console. First car I ever saw with automatic station search and push button for changing the volume instead of a knob.

btw a R4 passed me yesterday up near Rathmines, dark beige in colour, think the reg was ZG 795 or ZG 975, seemed to be in good condition too.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭manatoo

The 25 had a space age cabin for it's time. High seat positions, airy interior, that huge dash, much more like executive class cars of today than anything else available at the time.

Another neighbour of ours had a R4 van for work. He used to give us a lift to school in it sitting on the bench ledges in the back trying to get our legs around the ladder he had stickin out the roof hatch above the rear door

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I worked for a garage who carried out resprays for Renault Ireland in Eircom, An Post and ESB colour schemes. We resprayed new Renault Traffic, Master, Extra, R19 and R5 vans (which were imported in plain white).

We also did other work for Renault Ireland incl spraying and fitting spoilers and body kits on new R19's, Chamade's, R21's, etc.

I recall a new Renault A610 Alpine (on trade plates) dropping into the garage one day around 1992 - lovely car it was too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Silvera wrote: »
    I recall a new Renault A610 Alpine (on trade plates) dropping into the garage one day around 1992 - lovely car it was too!

There's a lad around Dublin that has 3 of'em (A610's) and they come out regularly. He drove one of them at the last Cannonball run.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I think I spotted one of his A610's at Classic Car Live in Mondello last year.

Here's a pic of an '87 A610 that was posted here a couple of years ago.

Btw, I see that there is a red 'BIM' (Galway) reg R4 for sale in April's 'Irish Vintage Scene' if anybody is looking for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

johnf2020 wrote: »

AZW 1 to YZW 999 (Mar 1976 - May 1983). The car was still built up to late 1979....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

bijapos wrote: »
    btw a R4 passed me yesterday up near Rathmines, dark beige in colour, think the reg was ZG 795 or ZG 975, seemed to be in good condition too.

I think that lives around Dalkey near the DART station.

Some pics from France in summer 2009, I only loaded them up a couple of days ago:rolleyes:. Still loads of 70's and 80's cars around there, especially in rural areas.

This one was in near perfect condition, was full with occupants and baggage so still living the hard life.

FrancePyrennesAug2009083.jpg

This one still has the yellow headlight bulbs, rare enough these days and a nice touch. I remember when I was a kid you always knew a French tourists car at night by the headlights. :)

FrancePyrennesAug2009086.jpg

FrancePyrennesAug2009085.jpg

FrancePyrennesAug2009423.jpg

FrancePyrennesAug2009517.jpg

This one was probably on its way back from a R4L Trophy run.

FrancePyrennesAug2009658.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 stapes

nice work guys always loved the renault 4's because of their odd shape a neighbour beide me had 1 for years always seen it passing my house goin to mass a maroon colour 632 sim was the reg im sure sumone will clarify a year! but another renault that was soooo popular was the 18 im sure theyre's a few lying around still neighbours buried one years ago tink the reg was xir 700

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I spotted this van last week in Dublin....

160511021.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Blue850

Kilbeggan2010039.jpg

Wheres that reg from? Car was at the Kilbeggan show last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 stapes

ha ha ha ha what a reg tink its missing a d in the middle :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I think that's more a show plate. It doesn't make any sense at all.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

i see the next edition (not the current new one) of Irish Vintage Scene, will feature an irish R4 that was saved from the 1996 scrappage scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Itsfixed wrote: »
    i see the next edition (not the current new one) of Irish Vintage Scene, will feature an irish R4 that was saved from the 1996 scrappage scheme.
    It's one of Maurice Roddys fantastic collection Renaults.

aujopimur wrote: »
    It's one of Maurice Roddys fantastic collection Renaults.

If its his red R4L then I saw it at Durrow....FANTASTIC car.

ohh----Happy 50th Birthday 4L---

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭mk1esc

i know of 2/3 around the baltinglass area, one was rescued from the scrap yard which maywell be scrapped in the futureand i think he has another 1, and another is probably going to be restored but as far as i know he is looking for parts to do the work but he may sell...id say the 2/3 could be for sale if the money is right....

there is one floating around carlow town

• Advertisement

Blue850 wrote: »
    Kilbeggan2010039.jpg

Wheres that reg from? Car was at the Kilbeggan show last year.
    stapes wrote: »
    ha ha ha ha what a reg tink its missing a d in the middle :p

Its not the reg, its the chassis number (I think). It was probably imported into the country from another where the registration plate needs to be taken to the licensing office to be deregistered (such as Germany). I've done this before for moving the car within a port but I've never used it on the road.

If you ship a car by RoRo they use this system, they never use the original reg of the car. Having said that they usually just use the last 6 numbers instead of 8 on this car.

Advertisement