Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily quote !

Options
  • 08-04-2011 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Assalam alaikum

Brothers and sisters

Every one is invited to add daily quote either of Ayat-Hadeeth- Sayings of Sahabah and ulamaa' to share it with us.

One/member /day in shaa' Allah

Agreed ?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭whydoc

Assalam alaikum:

"Whoever seeks to compete with you in Deen(religion), compete with him.

Whoever seeks to compete with you in this Dunya(worldly life), let him have it."

[Hasan Al-Basri]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

For further posts in this thread, it would be very helpful if (a) you could give as much of a detailed reference as you can manage, and (b) you could add a sentence or two saying why the quotation is of particular significance to you.

If this thread becomes popular, I will consider stickying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Have a guess who said this.

Forget what my faith is and what yours is. Hear what I say and see what I do and hear what others say and see what they do, and then decide.

A man who some hate and many love.

The Prophet Muhammad – Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him – said:

"Actions are but by intentions, and everyone will have what he intended.

So whoever migrated to Allah and His Messenger, he migrated to Allah and His Messenger.

But whoever migrated for some worldly benefit, or to take a woman in marriage, then his migration was only to what he migrated to."

Al-Bukhâri, Muslim

It's imp. for all our deeds in this life to be just for God.(This is not restricted to a mosque or prayers ). This includes our entire life.

http://quran.com/39/64-66

Say, [O Muhammad], "Is it other than Allah that you order me to worship, O ignorant ones?"
    And it was already revealed to you and to those before you that if you should associate [anything] with Allah , your work would surely become worthless, and you would surely be among the losers."
    Rather, worship [only] Allah and be among the grateful.

• Advertisement

Narrated Anas: Allah's Apostle said,

"Help your brother, whether he is an oppressor or he is an oppressed one. "

People asked, "O Allah's Apostle! It is all right to help him if he is oppressed, but how should we help him if he is an oppressor?"

The Prophet said, "By preventing him from oppressing others."

( Bukhari )

Indeed, in the alternation of the night and the day and [in] what Allah has created in the heavens and the earth are signs for a people who fear Allah

(Qur'aan 10-6)

"Allah will not be merciful to those who are not merciful to mankind."

( Allah's Apostle - Bukhari )

Indeed, Allah orders justice and good conduct and giving to relatives and forbids immorality and bad conduct and oppression. He admonishes you that perhaps you will be reminded.

( surat Annahl/90 )

Seek (beneficial) knowledge,
    because seeking it for the sake of Allaah is a worship.
    And knowing it makes you more God-fearing;
    and searching for it is jihad,
    teaching it to those who do not know is charity,
    reviewing and learning it more is like tasbeeh.
    Through knowledge Allaah will be known and worshiped."

-Ibn Taymiyyah (rahimahullah)
    -well known saying but don't know it's exact source, if anyone knows i'll be grateful.

• Advertisement

This is certainly widely quoted on the internet, but, most frustratingly, I have found no-one who gives a specific source. A couple of citations attribute the saying to Ibn Taymiyyah's student Ibn Qayyim, and possibly this is something that Ibn Qayyim (or even one of his students, such as Ibn Kathir) recorded.

The quotation reminds me of the well-known hadith attributed to Muhammad, which was narrated by Muslim on the authority of Abu Huraira (book 13, no. 4005):

When a man dies, his acts come to an end, except for three: recurring charity, or beneficial knowledge, or a pious son, who prays for him.

'Whoever is deprived of KINDNESS is deprived of all good.'
    من يحرم الرفق يحرم الخير كله

[Prophet Muhammad salla-s.gif: Muslim]

"We know Paradise but we do not seek it;
    we know Hell
    but we do not flee from it;
    we know the shaytaan but we do not fight him rather we agree with him;
    we know death but we do not prepare for it; we have buried the dead but we do not take lesson from that; and
    we ignore our own faults but are preoccupied with the faults of others
    ."

(Qurtubi)

The quotation is an explanation of why our supplications are not answered. The full quotation begins:

It is because we know Allah but we do not obey Him; we know the Messenger but we do not follow his Sunnah; we know the Qur'an but we do not act in accordance to it; we eat from the blessings of Allah but we do not give thanks for them.

Al-Qurtubi was a 13th century (CE) Maliki scholar who originated in Al-Andalus but spent most of his adult life in Alexandria and Cairo. His most famous work is his multi-volume Al-Jami li-Ahkam al-Qur'an ("Tafsir Al-Qurtubi").

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Now, it is beyond doubt that I have been elected your Amir (leader ), although I am not better than you.
    Help me, if I am in the right; set me right if I am in the wrong.
    Truth is a trust; falsehood is a treason.
    The weak among you will be strong with me till, God willing, his rights have been vindicated; and the strong among you shall be weak with me till, if the Lord wills, I have taken what is due from him.
    Obey me as long as I obey Allah and His Prophet, when I disobey Him and His Prophet, then obey me not.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Abubakr Assidiq, First Caliph, once he was elected after Prophet's salla-s.gif death.

Just compare such a leader and current Arab tyrant leaders :confused:
    [/FONT]

"Do not become proud merely because you worship often, for consider what happened to Iblees (satan) after he spent a great deal of time worshipping."
    -Hasan Al-Basri

"And here I am, dying in my bed, like cattle die. May the eyes of cowards never sleep". - Khalid Ibn AlWaleed

Khālid ibn al-Walīd (Arabic: خالد بن الوليد‎; 592–642) embraced Islam relatively late - he fought on the side of the Makkans against Muhammad at the Battle of Uhud, and came to Islam only in 629, three years before Muhammad's death.

He was a leading military commander, particularly under the caliphs Abu Bakr and Umar. He led the Arab armies that conquered Mesopotamia and Syria, particularly at the Battle of Yarmuk (636) against the Byzantines, which led to the permanent loss of Syria to the Byzantine Empire.

Khalid was relieved of his command, possibly through the jealousy of Umar, and he died in 642. On his deathbed, he is reported to have said: "I fought in so many battles seeking martyrdom that there is no place in my body but has a stabbing scar by a spear, a sword or a dagger, and yet here I am, dying on my bed like an old camel dies. May the eyes of the cowards never sleep."

His wife, however, reminded Khalid that he was known as "The Drawn Sword of Allah" (Sayf Allāh al-Maslūl), and told him: "The sword of Allah is not meant to be broken, and hence it is not your destiny to be a martyr but to die like a conqueror."

"I saw those people and how they were more careful about their time than about their money."

Hassan Al-Basri about the righteous salaf.

Everything that is loved, if it is not loved for His sake then this love is nothing but distress and punishment. Every action that is not performed for His sake then it is wasted and severed. Every heart that does not reach Him is wretched; veiled from achieving its success and happiness.

Ibn Qayyim Al Jawziyyah talking about Almighty God.

• Advertisement

Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyyah was an 8th (AH)/14th (CE) century scholar who lived for most of his life in Damascus. He was a student and follower of the famous scholar Ibn Taymiyyah, and among his own pupils was Ibn Kathir.

Ibn Qayyim was known as the "scholar of the heart" because of his devotional and ethical writings.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Now that the entire responsibility has come to vest in me, know ye brethren that you will feel a change in me. I will no longer be hard and stern in all matters. For those who practice tyranny and deprive others of their rights, I will be harsh and stern, but for those who follow the law, and are devoted to religion, I will be most soft and tender. I will not tolerate any person make any excess. He who commits any tyranny, him I will sternly call to book. I will be harsh and stern against the aggressor, but I will be a pillar of strength for the weak and the meek. They will find in me their best friend.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Umar Inb Alkhattab after being chosen as the second caliph.
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
    [/FONT]

If I knew that Allaah had accepted even one good deed from me, death would be the most dear thing to me, because Allaah says, ‘Verily, Allaah accepts only from those who are al-Muttaaqoon (the pious)

[al-Maa’idah 5:27]

(Ibn ‘Umar )

"If someone seeks refuge in the name of God, give him refuge. If someone asks in the name of God, give him something. If someone does you a favor, repay him. If you cannot find anything with which to repay him then pray for him so that he knows that you appreciate what he has done for you."

Prophet salla-s.gif :Bukhari

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

There is a quote from the Quran I believe which says something like, 'teach the message of Allah but do not force his word'. Can anyone help me find this quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭noddy78779

"Your souls are precious, and can only be equal to the price of Paradise. Therefore, sell them only at that price." — Ali ibn Abi Talib

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭pinkheels88

"...you are sure to hear much that is hurtful from those who were given the Scripture before you and from those who associate others with God. If you are steadfast and mindful of God, that is the best course." (Qur'an, 3:186)

Makes me think of the negative reaction I'm struggling to deal with at the moment, and reminds me to persevere and remain mindful of God.

“The reasons which cause mahabbah of Allâh to develop, are ten:

Firstly: Reciting the Qur‘ân, reflecting and understanding its meaning and its intent.

Secondly: Drawing closer to Allâh - the Most High - through optional deeds, after fulfilling the obligatory duties.

Thirdly: Being continuous in the dhikr (remembrance) of Allâh, with the tongue, the heart and the limbs - under all circumstances. The more constant the dhikr, the more mahabbah develops and intensifies.

Fourthly: Giving precedence to what Allâh loves over personal loves, when being overcome by desires.

Fifthly: Contemplating and deliberating over the Names and Attributes of Allâh.

Sixthly: Recognising and remembering the favours and bounties of Allâh - both the manifest and hidden.

Seventhly: To be humble and submissive before Allâh - and this is the greatest matter.

Eightly: To be in seclusion reciting the Qur‘ân, during that time (which is the last third of every night), finishing this recitation with seeking Allâh’s forgiveness and repenting to Him.

Ninthly: To sit in the gatherings of true and sincere lovers of Allâh, reaping the fruits of their speech, and not to speak except if there is benefit in it and that you know that such talk will increase you in goodness and that it will benefits others as well.

Tenthly: To stay clear of all those causes which distances the heart from Allâh - the Mighty and Majestic."

Ibn al-Qayyim

( very beatiful quote, fantastic in its original arabic :)
    ذكر ابن القيم رحمه الله أن الأسباب الجالبة لمحبة الله لعبده ومحبة العبد لربه عشرة:

أحدها: قراءة القرآن بالتدبر لمعانيه وما أريد به.
    الثاني: التقرب إلى الله تعالى بالنوافل بعد الفرائض كما في الحديث القدسي «ولا يزال عبدي يتقرب إلي بالنوافل حتى أحبه» رواه البخاري.
    الثالث: دوام ذكره على كل حال باللسان والقلب والعمل والحال فنصيبه من المحبة على قدر هذا.
    الرابع: إيثار محابه على محابك عند غلبات الهوى.
    الخامس: مطالعة القلب لأسمائه وصفاته ومشاهدتها وتقلبه في رياض هذه المعرفة وميادينها.
    السادس: مشاهدة بره وإحسانه ونعمه الظاهرة والباطنة.
    السابع: وهو أعجبها انكسار القلب بين يديه.
    الثامن: الخلوة به وقت النزول الإلهي آخر الليل وتلاوة كتابه ثم ختم ذلك بالاستغفار والتوبة.
    التاسع: مجالسة المحبين الصادقين والتقاط أطايب ثمرات كلامهم، ولا تتكلم إلا إذا ترجحت مصلحة الكلام وعلمت أن فيه مزيدا لحالك ومنفعة لغيرك.
    العاشر: مباعدة كل سبب يحول بين القلب وبين الله عز وجل،
    فمن هذه الأسباب العشرة وصل المحبون إلى منازل المحبة ودخلوا على الحبيب اهـ من مدارج السالكين 3/ 17، 18.

Thanks for posting this. As I noted in an earlier post, Ibn al-Qayyim is known as the "scholar of the heart", and this quote is certainly consistent with such a name.

• Advertisement

Imam Ash-Shaafi`e - rahimahullaah - said:

"The foolish one addresses me with words of disgrace, but I hate to respond to him in a similar manner. The more ignorant he proves, the more patient I become. Just like the incense; the more it's burnt, the more it releases its fragrance."

يخاطبني السفيه بكل قبح ..... فأكره أن أكون له مجيبا
    يزيد سفاهة فأزيد حلما ..... كعود زاده الإحراق طيبا

Advertisement