Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CEX on Upper Liffey Street (Dublin) - Now Open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Is that for all consoles? Because their selection of PSP's became even harder to resist if so.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Pretty sure that's what he was saying, but don't quote me on it. I don't see why a DS would be covered and a PSP wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I was told it was All Hardware covered for a year, all discs (dvd or games) for 28 days.

Which is pretty brilliant, considering I've bought a brand new dvd in HMV, found marks on it after taking off the shrink and had to kick off in the store to get an exchange, never mind a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 iamgod2011

few times i have been their ive been left waiting very long in the que , while their is lots of staff behind the counter hopefully they come up with a better way of serving customers.
    great prices and great staff except one who i got served by who kept calling me hun like she was my mother had not a clue what she was doing . like thats her job she should know the questions she would be asked instead of other staff members answering my quiery and the staff member trying to pretend she said it and knew what i was talkin about in the first place when she had no clue and i was their and seen the other staff member answer my question!!!!

the shop is the best ive seen by far for prices and service just a few things to fix and it would be awsome!!!!

ps: im not ur hun im a married man

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

Was that the american girl? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

iamgod2011 wrote: »
    few times i have been their ive been left waiting very long in the que , while their is lots of staff behind the counter hopefully they come up with a better way of serving customers.
    great prices and great staff except one who i got served by who kept calling me hun like she was my mother had not a clue what she was doing . like thats her job she should know the questions she would be asked instead of other staff members answering my quiery and the staff member trying to pretend she said it and knew what i was talkin about in the first place when she had no clue and i was their and seen the other staff member answer my question!!!!

the shop is the best ive seen by far for prices and service just a few things to fix and it would be awsome!!!!

ps: im not ur hun im a married man
    I'm sorry you had a bad experience sweetcheeks. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Either they've gotten a buyer with the most indiscriminate taste ever, or they've just gotten rid of their little Gamecube section. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Either they've gotten a buyer with the most indiscriminate taste ever, or they've just gotten rid of their little Gamecube section. Shame.
    Well they were dirt cheap and there were only a handful of them

About the pc games, are they second hand? how does that work?

ShaneU wrote: »
    Well they were dirt cheap and there were only a handful of them

About the pc games, are they second hand? how does that work?

The Gamecube games? The likes of Mario and Sonic were 15 quid. Jesus, even Street of LA was 7. That's more than most of its PS2 stock..combined, 'cos yanno, it's mostly EA tat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I was in CEX before and had a problem with a game I'd bought, and they wre entirely sound about it, no problem with a replacement and an extend apology which I wasn't pushed about, despite the admirable gesture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

were is upper liffey street lads? wouldnt mind checking this place out next time Im around dub

Its across from H&M on Henry street! Go past Hickeys and Turn left. It has a big red sign, you cant miss it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Easiest way to find it is cross the ha'penny bridge onto the north side, go straight through lower liffey street and then basically go straight. the streets aren't exactly alligned correctly but if you're heading straight from the ha'penny bridge, you can't miss it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Its across from H&M on Henry street! Go past Hickeys and Turn left. It has a big red sign, you cant miss it!

I bloody well have! walk that way every now and then...guess thats what I get for not wearing my glasses/contacts :(

Do you remember Hector Greys? Its near where that used to be! Across from the side entrance to marks and sparks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Heading to the capital tomorrow and might pop in if I can find the place. I dont know dublin bar grafton street, some help would be nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

tonydude wrote: »
    Heading to the capital tomorrow and might pop in if I can find the place. I dont know dublin bar grafton street, some help would be nice

From O O'Connell St Find the GPO and head down the street to it's rigth if facing the GPO this is Henry St.

Take the 1st left a ways down, and C.E.X is a red shop on the left a little bit down the street, it'll have phones and things in the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Wohoo, fantastic news.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Wohoo, fantastic news.

what is?

That I only now found this thread, I like CEX for the reasons stated in here.
    A lot more than GAME and Gamestop, who always seem to have the same games for second hand prices.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH, it's gone radically downhill since it opened :( Previous gen shelves are now full of shovelware. If you didn't grab a rarity / bargain in the first few weeks, you'd be very lucky indeed to find one now.

As for the current gen prices, they always seem a bit high to me. Have seen a number of games previously played in CEX for much more than new copies are going for elsewhere.

On the plus side, they have damn good Wii and DS sections for some reason. Shame the rest don't measure up.

Tbh, DS are the only games I buy these days, as I've only been playing my backlog of 360 and PC games at the moment, without buying anything new.

Was that the american girl? :P

yes ...... yes it was her!!!! :eek:
    no clue what she is doing and talking to people like your her child made me feel uncomfortable while i shopped ... she kept talking to me as if i was interested in what she was saying and i clearly was not!!! :mad:

Nevore wrote: »
    I'm sorry you had a bad experience sweetcheeks. :(

haha nice!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

Scoured HMV/GAME/GAMESTATION for Arma 2, and it's expansion, with nothing but despair at the miniscule selection they had. Walked into CEX... both games right there. :D

The PC section might not be great, but compared to their competitors it's a shrine of awesomeness.

TBH, it's gone radically downhill since it opened :( Previous gen shelves are now full of shovelware. If you didn't grab a rarity / bargain in the first few weeks, you'd be very lucky indeed to find one now.

As for the current gen prices, they always seem a bit high to me. Have seen a number of games previously played in CEX for much more than new copies are going for elsewhere.

Yeah, kinda sad to see. Even for the more common titles their prices are
    alrightish, but they've really got to put a suspension on the buying of
    yearly EA/PES/WWE et al installments, anyone with a half a loaf can see
    these pieces of tripe aren't selling beyond the odd enthusiast and the
    ignorant parent thinking they're getting a bargain.

Their PSP section was pretty decentish recently, dunno what it's like
    now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

In fairness, their stock is dependent purely on what people trade in. Not been in the Dublin store since it opened, but it sounds like people are just trading in shovelware...

Should be lots of DVD and electronics bargains, though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

What ever about CEX going downhill, their stock is still better than what HMV's is at the moment, was in 3 different ones this week and the xbox selection seems to have shrunk massively compared to what it was only a few months ago.

Gamestop still have the same old tat at the same old inflated prices.

2 xtra visions I visited where the same as HMV they seemed to have downsized the selection too.

Long gone are the days where I could wake up and say to myself, " I fancy getting the rest of the achievements in that 2 year old game, I'll nip into town for it used or new at a reasonable cost"

Last 10 games I've bought have been online, and they have not been worth what I paid for them new or used.

With CEX i think they have now hit a plateau so to speak , all the stock from other stores they brought over when they opened is now gone and they are like the others relying on what is traded in to replenish the stock, but to be honest I would rather throw my copy of Lost Odyssey in the bin that trade it for the 90c to €1.50 any of these places offer , hence the difficulty in getting older stuff in the shops now.

How does it work for print runs on games anyway, I mean I assume they are printed in a batch at time of launch and that's it what's there is there????

/End of off topic rant lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Cex deliver to Ireland for anyone interested Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jazzkamiden

I was in there yesterday for the first time after being told for a long time that it's a great shop from someone I talk to who lives in Northern Ireland. I've been looking for a place like this for ages now and I gotta say, it's great! Some of the stuff is really cheap! Like €1.50 cheap. My biggest disappointment was that there was absolutely no Gamecube/SNES/GBA games there. There were also no Dreamcast or PS1 games there. They are supposed to be there aren't they? Although I don't see where they would put them as it's such a small shop. I guess I just have to get lucky and end up there on the right day, do I?

Advertisement