Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Blue Light Over Mountain April 7, 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

A still with the sound of a siren blaring over it? The siren would've been to do with the earthquake warning Japan received yesterday, I'm guessing.

What's the blue light? Looks like a garden-variety trick of the light picked up in the lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,486 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Just looks like lens flare, as for the siren, Japan has had one or two of those go off recently as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Looks like a lense flare to me - the siren could be for anything i suppose (i watched in work without sound). I don't see anything out of the ordinary here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Talk E

I think it was sky news that I heard it explained away as an electrical charge built up from the quake, tectonic plates causing friction underground then it surfaced. Apparently it's normal :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

There was the blue light what looked like was in the sky and the blue light which looked like it was on the mountain.I noticed when the cloud went over the blue light in the sky the blue light on the ground disappeared.

I saw something on the news about strange flash of light when the earth quake hit.I cant find it though.But it didnt look like that.

Project blue beam.
    http://educate-yourself.org/cn/projectbluebeam25jul05.shtml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It was a lens flare: nothing more, nothing less. End of.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It was a lens flare: nothing more, nothing less. End of.

So explain how the lens flare was effected by the cloud and it seemed to be close to the ground and in the sky.And the cloud looked like it covered the blue light in the sky and it then disappeared on the ground?

caseyann wrote: »
    So explain how the lens flare was effected by the cloud and it seemed to be close to the ground and in the sky.And the cloud looked like it covered the blue light in the sky and it then disappeared on the ground?

Because cloud covered the Sun from the camera's POV. Seriously this is basic stuff.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Because cloud covered the Sun from the camera's POV. Seriously this is basic stuff.

So it reflected in the sky and on the ground?

So it reflected in the sky and on the ground?

No it reflected inside the camera lens. Anyone who has ever taken a picture has come across lens flares. Example:

687px-20100525_Imbros_Marmaros_Turkey_example_of_Lens_Flare.jpg

• Advertisement

LOL, I didn't watch the OP's clip until now, it's obviously lens flare. I thought he was referring to this blue light.....

I think it was sky news that I heard it explained away as an electrical charge built up from the quake, tectonic plates causing friction underground then it surfaced. Apparently it's normal confused.gif

But since the lights go out after the flash, I would think is an electrical fault.

Talk E wrote: »
    LOL, I didn't watch the OP's clip until now, it's obviously lens flare. I thought he was referring to this blue light.....

I think it was sky news that I heard it explained away as an electrical charge built up from the quake, tectonic plates causing friction underground then it surfaced. Apparently it's normal confused.gif

But since the lights go out after the flash, I would think is an electrical fault.

Well earthquake lights are a not fully understood phenomenon related to earthquakes. The video here however looks like an electrical fault as you say. I wouldn't trust anything Sky News say, they just exaggerate/sensationalise stuff for their own purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

These are proper earthquake lights:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

If this happened after the recent strong aftershock my guess would be a power flash from damaged power lines. This is commonly seen by storm chasers when a tornado damaged power lines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_flash

A mysterious flashing light was captured on video over Japan as yet another earthquake hit the beleaguered country on Thursday, but what was it? Skip related content
    Related photos / videos
    Tsunami Fears As New Quake Rocks Japan Play video

* Tsunami Fears As New Quake Rocks Japan Play video
    * Mysterious light spotted during Japan earthquake Enlarge photo

Related content

* Video: Tsunami Fears As New Quake Rocks Japan

The footage (video to the right) clearly shows a ball of light pulsing for around eight seconds on the horizon in Tokyo during the aftershock.

It registered 7.1 on the Richter scale and struck 40 miles east of Sendai along the same fault line as last month's quake.

We take a look at several theories as to what could have caused the bizarre phenomenon, from the plausible to the wacky, and get some insight from an expert seismologist.

Earthquake light

The most widely circulating explanation is that this was an 'earthquake light' - literally a light that appears in the sky during times of seismic activity.

There have been a number of recorded instances of these - at Kalapana in 1975, L'Aquilla in 2009 and Chile in 2010 - but the phenomenon is not universally accepted in the scientific community.

Dr David Robinson, an earthquake researcher at Oxford University, told Yahoo! News one reason why these might happen.

"The idea is that just before an earthquake, you might get some build up of stress just prior to the event.

"People have invented all kinds of mechanisms whereby this stress gets released as an electromagnetic excitation of the upper atmosphere, which can cause things like lights appearing, similar to the Northern Lights."

The problem with this theory, said Dr Robinson, was that no-one has yet come up with a plausible reason for why this actually happens. "Anything which is caused by an unknown mechanism is dubious," he said.

A second issue is that while there have been several recorded instances of 'earthquake lights', they don't happen during every earthquake.

"There are satellites up there that record every thunderstorm that happens on earth. If you're getting something similar to a flash of lightning during an earthquake then they're going to measure it, but that's not happening."

There are a couple of other explanations that could explain this though. The first concerns quartz. When tectonic plates containing the mineral rub against each other, they create intense electric fields (called piezoelectricity). This could manifest itself as flashes of light.

A second, tantalizing possibility is these lights could actually predict upcoming quakes. This theory suggests that before a quake, the ground 'exhales' radon, which results in light emissions in the atmosphere. Dr Robinson says this is "clutching at straws" though.

He doesn't rule out earthquake lights, but feels the subject needs more study.

"Just because they can't be explained doesn't necessarily make them not true. But until anyone comes up with a plausible mechanism it will be on the fringes of earthquake study."

Electrical explosion

Another possible theory for the burst of light is that it was some kind of electrical explosion. It's been speculated that the flash was an electrical transformer exploding after being struck by the quake.

During Thursday'squake 3.6million homes in North East Japan area lost power, traffic signals and road lights also stopped working. 900,000 houses were still affected on Friday afternoon.

A spokesman for the Tohuku Electric Power Company said six power plants in the area went down after the tremor and power lines throughout the area were damaged, making this explanation a possibility.

A US 'superweapon'

We're into the outlandish territory now. Many commentators, including oddball conspiracy theorist David Icke, have said the footage was evidence of 'Haarp' (High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program).

Based in Alaska, this weather program was set up by the US Air Force, Navy and University of Alaska to research the upper atmosphere (the ionosphere) with a view to improving satellite communication.

Some have speculated that Haarp can physically change weather conditions, and the project's been blamed for triggering floods, hurricanes, droughts, the earthquakes in Haiti and Pakistan and even Gulf War Syndrome. Mind control is another one of its supposed capabilities.

Suffice to say the events in Japan have also been attributed to this 'superweapon' - with former governor of Minnesota and pro-wrestler Jesse Ventura telling Piers Morgan recently:

"The US's HAARP weapon system can cause natural disasters, including earthquakes and tsunamis like the one that happened in Japan."

UFOs

Whenever grainy handheld footage of a glowing light in the sky surfaces, it's only a matter of time before it's held up as evidence of UFOs. This video is no exception.

A quick YouTube search reveals a spate of alien sightings in the build up to the Japan earthquake, with little green men spotted above Kyoto and the Sakurajima Volcano. Even Chinese news agency Xinyua reported UFOs flying over Mount Fuji in February.

An alien spacecraft was also spotted during recent Japanese news coverage of the Earthquake, but this was later confirmed to be a helicopter.

Written by Orlando Parfitt

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/38/20110408/tsc-mysterious-light-spotted-during-japa-98fda55.html

Talk E wrote: »
    A mysterious flashing light was captured on video over Japan as yet another earthquake hit the beleaguered country on Thursday, but what was it? Skip related content
    Related photos / videos
    Tsunami Fears As New Quake Rocks Japan Play video

* Tsunami Fears As New Quake Rocks Japan Play video
    * Mysterious light spotted during Japan earthquake Enlarge photo

Related content

* Video: Tsunami Fears As New Quake Rocks Japan

The footage (video to the right) clearly shows a ball of light pulsing for around eight seconds on the horizon in Tokyo during the aftershock.

It registered 7.1 on the Richter scale and struck 40 miles east of Sendai along the same fault line as last month's quake.

We take a look at several theories as to what could have caused the bizarre phenomenon, from the plausible to the wacky, and get some insight from an expert seismologist.

Earthquake light

The most widely circulating explanation is that this was an 'earthquake light' - literally a light that appears in the sky during times of seismic activity.

There have been a number of recorded instances of these - at Kalapana in 1975, L'Aquilla in 2009 and Chile in 2010 - but the phenomenon is not universally accepted in the scientific community.

Dr David Robinson, an earthquake researcher at Oxford University, told Yahoo! News one reason why these might happen.

"The idea is that just before an earthquake, you might get some build up of stress just prior to the event.

"People have invented all kinds of mechanisms whereby this stress gets released as an electromagnetic excitation of the upper atmosphere, which can cause things like lights appearing, similar to the Northern Lights."

The problem with this theory, said Dr Robinson, was that no-one has yet come up with a plausible reason for why this actually happens. "Anything which is caused by an unknown mechanism is dubious," he said.

A second issue is that while there have been several recorded instances of 'earthquake lights', they don't happen during every earthquake.

"There are satellites up there that record every thunderstorm that happens on earth. If you're getting something similar to a flash of lightning during an earthquake then they're going to measure it, but that's not happening."

There are a couple of other explanations that could explain this though. The first concerns quartz. When tectonic plates containing the mineral rub against each other, they create intense electric fields (called piezoelectricity). This could manifest itself as flashes of light.

A second, tantalizing possibility is these lights could actually predict upcoming quakes. This theory suggests that before a quake, the ground 'exhales' radon, which results in light emissions in the atmosphere. Dr Robinson says this is "clutching at straws" though.

He doesn't rule out earthquake lights, but feels the subject needs more study.

"Just because they can't be explained doesn't necessarily make them not true. But until anyone comes up with a plausible mechanism it will be on the fringes of earthquake study."

Electrical explosion

Another possible theory for the burst of light is that it was some kind of electrical explosion. It's been speculated that the flash was an electrical transformer exploding after being struck by the quake.

During Thursday'squake 3.6million homes in North East Japan area lost power, traffic signals and road lights also stopped working. 900,000 houses were still affected on Friday afternoon.

A spokesman for the Tohuku Electric Power Company said six power plants in the area went down after the tremor and power lines throughout the area were damaged, making this explanation a possibility.

A US 'superweapon'

We're into the outlandish territory now. Many commentators, including oddball conspiracy theorist David Icke, have said the footage was evidence of 'Haarp' (High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program).

Based in Alaska, this weather program was set up by the US Air Force, Navy and University of Alaska to research the upper atmosphere (the ionosphere) with a view to improving satellite communication.

Some have speculated that Haarp can physically change weather conditions, and the project's been blamed for triggering floods, hurricanes, droughts, the earthquakes in Haiti and Pakistan and even Gulf War Syndrome. Mind control is another one of its supposed capabilities.

Suffice to say the events in Japan have also been attributed to this 'superweapon' - with former governor of Minnesota and pro-wrestler Jesse Ventura telling Piers Morgan recently:

"The US's HAARP weapon system can cause natural disasters, including earthquakes and tsunamis like the one that happened in Japan."

UFOs

Whenever grainy handheld footage of a glowing light in the sky surfaces, it's only a matter of time before it's held up as evidence of UFOs. This video is no exception.

A quick YouTube search reveals a spate of alien sightings in the build up to the Japan earthquake, with little green men spotted above Kyoto and the Sakurajima Volcano. Even Chinese news agency Xinyua reported UFOs flying over Mount Fuji in February.

An alien spacecraft was also spotted during recent Japanese news coverage of the Earthquake, but this was later confirmed to be a helicopter.

Written by Orlando Parfitt

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/38/20110408/tsc-mysterious-light-spotted-during-japa-98fda55.html

People will go with the first rather than the latter,not because they can disbunk it.But because they are afraid of it.Also no matter how many times governments show they are not trust worthy people cant believe this is possibly real.
    In the link i gave it showed both men in the Project blue beam ,while researching Project Blue Beam, died of "heart attacks" within weeks of each other although neither had a history of heart disease. Serge was in Canada. The other Canadian journalist was visiting Ireland. Prior to his death, the Canadian government( allegedly) abducted Serge's daughter in an attempt to dissuade him from pursuing his research into Project Blue Beam. His daughter was never returned. Pseudo-heart attacks are one of the alleged methods of death induced by Project Blue Beam.]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

aw i saw this "flash" on sky news cant remember if it was a live feed at the time but it was hugeee i was like woah the fuk is that. Anyway some mr scientist guy was on talking about the aftershock and said that these flashs of light are often seen during earthquake events like this.

and lol @ the lens flare's :)

Yep, unexpectedly, their called, "earthquake lights" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

People will go with the first rather than the latter,not because they can disbunk it.But because they are afraid of it.Also no matter how many times governments show they are not trust worthy people cant believe this is possibly real.
    In the link i gave it showed both men in the Project blue beam ,while researching Project Blue Beam, died of "heart attacks" within weeks of each other although neither had a history of heart disease. Serge was in Canada. The other Canadian journalist was visiting Ireland. Prior to his death, the Canadian government( allegedly) abducted Serge's daughter in an attempt to dissuade him from pursuing his research into Project Blue Beam. His daughter was never returned. Pseudo-heart attacks are one of the alleged methods of death induced by Project Blue Beam.]
    But why would the US be blasting Japan and/or anywhere else with their superweapon?

Edit: By the way, the blue light in that video is definitely lens flare. Notice how the the sun and the the two flares are all in a straight line. The fact that there is only a couple of reflections is probably indicative that the lens used to film is a triplet or some other simple lens design.

eh, those lights, they are back. Just watching them now. Wonder what they are. You might have to enlarge screen a bit.

http://122.20.254.201:443/Camera08

• Advertisement

Jake1 wrote: »
    eh, those lights, they are back. Just watching them now. Wonder what they are. You might have to enlarge screen a bit.

http://122.20.254.201:443/Camera08

They are like stars in day light sky.
    What is your link from?

But why would the US be blasting Japan and/or anywhere else with their superweapon?

Edit: By the way, the blue light in that video is definitely lens flare. Notice how the the sun and the the two flares are all in a straight line. The fact that there is only a couple of reflections is probably indicative that the lens used to film is a triplet or some other simple lens design.
    I dont know,what possible reason would you believe they might want to do these things,If they were doing them?
    What are the lights in the link above?

I dont know,what possible reason would you believe they might want to do these things,If they were doing them?
    What are the lights in the link above?
    They would have no reason. What is bad for Japan is bad for all Western democracies.

Regarding that second video, I watched for two minutes and saw nothing but some clouds over a mountain. :confused:

They are like stars in day light sky.
    What is your link from?

nah, they weren't stars, some of them were moving.
    I got the link from another conspiracy site :)

personally I think they were water droplets, but they did look bizarre at first :)

They would have no reason. What is bad for Japan is bad for all Western democracies.

Regarding that second video, I watched for two minutes and saw nothing but some clouds over a mountain. :confused:

Because they just vanished.I was watching one minute gone the next.You missed them.Maybe check the link over the next few days and they might pop back.
    It looked like lights going on and off in the sky like stars and some seemed to be over the mountains.

Jake1 wrote: »
    nah, they weren't stars, some of them were moving.
    I got the link from another conspiracy site :)

personally I think they were water droplets, but they did look bizarre at first :)

Really water droplets?

Because they just vanished.I was watching one minute gone the next.You missed them.Maybe check the link over the next few days and they might pop back.
    It looked like lights going on and off in the sky like stars and some seemed to be over the mountains.
    To be honest, if there was something fishy going on there, I imagine the Japs living in the area would be very quick to film it and we'd see it on the web. Check out all the tsunami videos that abound.

The fact that nobody in Japan appears to see anything odd tells me that there are just some 'interesting' lens effects going on, like the flare above.

Really water droplets?

Possibly,or maybe stars? but I have no clue. Just found it interesting to watch .

To be honest, if there was something fishy going on there, I imagine the Japs living in the area would be very quick to film it and we'd see it on the web. Check out all the tsunami videos that abound.

The fact that nobody in Japan appears to see anything odd tells me that there are just some 'interesting' lens effects going on, like the flare above.

This is for April the third UFOs spotted at Sakurajima, Japan after volcano erupts April 3, 2011 [video]
    .http://www.examiner.com/unexplained-phenomena-in-national/ufos-spotted-at-sakurajima-japan-after-volcano-erupts-april-3-2011-video
    Are you saying i watched the web cam and saw things:eek:

• Advertisement

This is for April the third UFOs spotted at Sakurajima, Japan after volcano erupts April 3, 2011 [video]
    .http://www.examiner.com/unexplained-phenomena-in-national/ufos-spotted-at-sakurajima-japan-after-volcano-erupts-april-3-2011-video
    Are you saying i watched the web cam and saw things:eek:
    Um...according to your link:
    A prolific YouTube user named Sheila (of Sheilaaliens) said that she discovered the UFOs while viewing a live webcam for Sakurajima, one of Japan's most active volcanoes.
    So someone who uses Youtube was looking at the webcam footage and decided he/she saw UFOs? Much like some people here looked at what was obviously lens flare and thought that they were UFOs?

Not the best evidence, I hope you will admit? And still not a word from the Japanese folk that these 'UFOs' are flying over every day...very odd.

Unless there are no UFOs there, of course.

Edit: Did you see these videos of 'UFOs'?

Advertisement