Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IFJ Beef articles

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

F.D wrote: »
    it was good to see after all the hype about kale and outwintering last year after the hard winter some were having doubts of doing it again, as long as its reality and not a lot of hot air i will keep having a look anyway

Ya true.

Looks like kale, outwintering pads and these high performance grasses for dairying were all well tested last winter....... :rolleyes:

Was that man just outside mountbellew Co.Galway by any chance Muckit?

Yes indeed ;) Did you go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Muckit wrote: »
    Yes indeed ;) Did you go?

Ya i was there. I taught it a good day out to be honest. He had done very well for himself in fairness considering he had no single farm payment to eat into and the land he was farming was very heavy as you said. He wasnt farming long either only 7 years or something so fair play to him. He probably could have made a living off it though going by the figures that were giving on the day. What impressed me the most was the way he had everything so perfect and still had time to work the day job. Theres a lot of looking after in 90 cows. I wouldnt say his system suited everyone but there was plenty to be learned. If you never looked at any of his stock and looked at his level of grassland managment you would be a lot more knowledgeable.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Ya i was there. I taught it a good day out to be honest. He had done very well for himself in fairness considering he had no single farm payment to eat into and the land he was farming was very heavy as you said. He wasnt farming long either only 7 years or something so fair play to him. He probably could have made a living off it though going by the figures that were giving on the day. What impressed me the most was the way he had everything so perfect and still had time to work the day job. Theres a lot of looking after in 90 cows. I wouldnt say his system suited everyone but there was plenty to be learned. If you never looked at any of his stock and looked at his level of grassland managment you would be a lot more knowledgeable.:)
    I dont know how he manages to look after 90 cows and hold down a job, he must have an auld fella knocking around the place ;)

I dont know how he manages to look after 90 cows and hold down a job, he must have an auld fella knocking around the place ;)

I don't think so. The farm is in two lots. 40acres and think 50-60 acres rented. The 40acres he inherited off an uncle I think I remember reading in the leaflet that day.

He's a goer alright no doubt and fair play to him.

And that William Flynn that had the top prize bull at the charolais premier last month (made €7,600) is only over the road from him. Another great worker and you should see the difficult land he works with, very marginal land and full of rushes.

So I suppose it can be done, with the right attitude....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Muckit wrote: »
    I don't think so. The farm is in two lots. 40acres and think 50-60 acres rented. The 40acres he inherited off an uncle I think I remember reading in the leaflet that day.

He's a goer alright no doubt and fair play to him.

was he spreading a share of fertilizer, 90 cows and calves will do fair old munching, would 100 acres keep them going?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭alderdeer

whelan1 wrote: »
    yes i would be very interested in seeing their margins on these weanlings

I was at the weanling thing for years and ill tell ya there is no margin as with buying any stores and finishing them, It costs €300-€350/yr to keep a bullock or heifer and you will hear lads sayin they sold a bullock for €1000 that cost €600 as a weanlin a year and a half ago and how well they are doin but its eating into their SFP by about €50-€100/hd and wheres the sence in that,
    I was having a "discussion" with my father the other day about farming and making a semi decent wage and he was sayin for me not to look at the real profit of the farm but just to keep it stocked fully and keep going.
    Lets just say we agreed to disagree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

alderdeer wrote: »
    I was at the weanling thing for years and ill tell ya there is no margin as with buying any stores and finishing them, It costs €300-€350/yr to keep a bullock or heifer and you will hear lads sayin they sold a bullock for €1000 that cost €600 as a weanlin a year and a half ago and how well they are doin but its eating into their SFP by about €50-€100/hd and wheres the sence in that,
    I was having a "discussion" with my father the other day about farming and making a semi decent wage and he was sayin for me not to look at the real profit of the farm but just to keep it stocked fully and keep going.
    Lets just say we agreed to disagree

so is thier no real money in beef , full stop ! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭alderdeer

irishh_bob wrote: »
    so is thier no real money in beef , full stop ! :mad:

Well there isnt for me any how with half my SFP goin to the parents and whats left goin on bills, Im just hoping that with getting into sucklers i would be opening up another market for my stock and not just have irish factory prices to rely on, Is this money train from brussels going to keep rolling indefinately so irish farmers can keep producing at a loss, maybe but its a big chance to take

Advertisement