Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE Motorcycle?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

ivabiggon wrote: »
    potato patato patatoe......whats that all about?

The harley engine rumble is quite unique. No other V Twin sounds like it(mostly because all the other factories tighten the nuts before the bike leaves the factory).
    Say "Potato" over and over again and you'll sound the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭ivabiggon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwkcgIV30Ws&NR=1

can't get potato sound thing yet???? sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Any images of these HSE bikes in the public domain??

I can understand some fo the merits fo the Harley, they are a large, stable bike capable of carrying extra equipment, which may be useful for theparamedic role. How much more useful than other bikes i dont know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

One of me friends uploaded this to his Facebook. Pointless

Had to remove pic because of whingeing

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Ha it actually looks kinda ridiculous with the tiny battenburg markings.
    I was expecting a 'yellow/green' bike.

Makes me wonder about the vehicle procurement procedures for the HSE...

Back on topic, how would a Harley fare up to other alternatives, given its attributes/drawbacks?? Many Police forces in the states (and a few in Europe!!) still use them. THey can surely at least match anything in terms of carrying capacity, not so sure about outright speed though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭supermedic

The decision did not lie with anyone from the ambulance service it seems. The spec was drawn up and the process was handed over to corporate HSE for the tendering process. It would appear that all of the normal suppliers, bmw, honda, yamaha etc, were not interested in quoting for 3 bikes and would only tag them on to a much bigger order for the gardai , army etc... Harley came up with a cheaper price and were happy to bring in 3 from the US.... still look stupid, but thats the story behind the new bike..... as for there use in Dublin, lots of stuff on google with police bike in the usa doing some pretty funking stuff on similar bikes.

seanybiker wrote: »
    One of me friends uploaded this to his Facebook. Pointless

206261_1683392248818_1357951101_31453408_3470517_n-1.jpg

ah dear god.... that doesn't look the part at all. it like some biker enthusiast who was going to a Harley Davidson rally and decided to dress up their bike for a fun run for the day.:eek:
    pimp my medic...

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbaFSr7OIFgxxQUNZycWXgA-I4UEjzxhHV5biUTEslu9ileWqGjA

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

I seen this is the flesh today strange looking beast alright. One seems to be based at Loughinstown Ambulance Stn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

ivabiggon wrote: »
    ah dear god.... that doesn't look the part at all. it like some biker enthusiast who was going to a Harley Davidson rally and decided to dress up their bike for a fun run for the day.:eek:
    pimp my medic...

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbaFSr7OIFgxxQUNZycWXgA-I4UEjzxhHV5biUTEslu9ileWqGjA

You'd expect a bottle of JD in one panier and a shotgun in the other.

Speaking of which....will the size of the Harley be beneficial in terms of larger paniers / equipment stores and therefore maybe a Hog is exactly the sort of machinery that paramedics should be on!

You'd expect a bottle of JD in one panier and a shotgun in the other.

Speaking of which....will the size of the Harley be beneficial in terms of larger paniers / equipment stores and therefore maybe a Hog is exactly the sort of machinery that paramedics should be on!

BMW/Pan/FJR would carry the same kit, and do so far more nimbly.

• Advertisement

http://www.resourcesforbears.com/NEWS/ARTICLES/V03A0019/biker_hughes_lrg.jpg

will they be getting all the accessories to go with it.....change of uniform perhaps....
    maybe change the canteen in loughlinstown to something out of the blue oyster club!!!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

I was having a look at one of the new harleys today and having a grand chat with the paramedic today.

I have to admit that I thought the HSE had gone mad when I saw them first but i'm informed that the Harleys turned out cheaper than the other bikes and apparently there's a buy back clause as well.

It is a nice piece of kit and i'm told that it handles more smoothly than the other manufacturers.

All in all, the lads on the bikes are happy with them and if they're cheaper then why all the fuss?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭FGR

The one thing those bikes scream is 'comfort'. A little OT but have AGS bought any new bikes recently?

If so; are they sticking with Honda? Pan Europeans?

The one thing those bikes scream is 'comfort'. A little OT but have AGS bought any new bikes recently?

If so; are they sticking with Honda? Pan Europeans?

Most recently, Yamaha FJR for traffic Corps, Honda Deauville for everything else. The New Pan european has been classed as unsuitable for police use following a number of high profile Fatalities by Police in the UK using them. All the UK Police Pan 1300s were sold to the civvy market.
    BMW have not made the grade in a while either, mostly down to reliability and warranty "issues".

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Corcioch

Financially it was a good deal for the HSE, there is an extended warranty and a buy back deal.

Practically it is daft imo . . . .far from ideal . .

Here's a few reasons why;

http://www.lasdhq.org/sites/motorcycle-test/2011.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Briefly saw this 'machine' going by a gap in the traffic today and decided to check it out here. Found this on the HSE site

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/ambulanceservice/news/investment.html
    Press Release 10th April 2011

The HSE National Ambulance Service has taken delivery of a new fleet of 16 state of the art Rapid Response Vehicles representing an investment of approx €0.6 million in fleet replacement. The new fleet consists of 10 Ford Mondeo Estate cars, 3 Subaru Forester all wheel drive estate cars and 3 Harley Davidson Special Motorcycles.

Robert Morton, Director of the National Ambulance Service stated: “the new fleet will contribute to a significant step forward in the quality and safety of our services to patients and the safety of the working environment for our Paramedics and Advanced Paramedics”

All of these vehicles will be used as Rapid Response Vehicles in different parts of the country. Feedback from HSE Advanced Paramedics identified that some of the existing fleet needed improved equipment carrying capacity. The Ford Mondeo estate has that capacity.

Following the severe weather in 2010, the HSE reviewed its equipment requirements. That review identified that the HSE had sufficient numbers of traditional 4x4 vehicles providing sufficient capability for deep snow conditions.

The HSE considered various traction systems and each system considered would require significant expenditure on both equipment and training. The HSE bought Estate Vehicles with All Wheel Drive capacity to replace some existing vehicles. This provides 4x4 type capability in a vehicle that will be operated daily. The cost of the vehicles are similar to traditional 2 wheel drive Estate cars representing improvements in road safety in severe weather and off road conditions without any additional expenditure over and above normal fleet replacement.

As part of the NAS drive to improve road safety, the NAS has also taken delivery of three new purpose built Driver training Vehicles to support the national rollout of Driver training, initially for 180 new Student Paramedics.

The HSE will monitor the effectiveness of these vehicles based on staff feedback and fleet management processes. This review will inform future decisions on fleet replacement.

The NAS Leadership Team are currently considering a Fleet Allocation Plan based on the mileage, age and activity of current Rapid Response Vehicles. The new fleet will be operational at a number of Ambulance Stations around the country by the end of May 2011.”

Members of the public are welcome to arrange a visit to their nearest Ambulance Station to meet our Paramedics and Advanced Paramedics and see any new vehicles. Visits can be arranged by contacting the Operations Performance Manager at the nearest Area Ambulance Headquarters.

Last updated on: 24 / 06 / 2011

They don't explain the 'logic' behind the Harleys tho :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

drill wrote: »
    Must be new Policy cause when i worked in control DFB would Q a call for a tallaght ( waiting on one to clear ) rather then accept a ambulance from naas or Loughlinstown reason to far ?

The bikes have spend regular stints in Dublin City but were not getting the call volume babis bike response was offered with and outlying station ambulance if an eras city amb was not available ,but were declined. they were only dispatched on city calls by eras control if an ERAS
    city amb was attending. all other bike offers for the city were declined by DFB

One NAS Biker delivered TWINS in south County Dublin no so long ago while amb enroute I'D say that was serious enough

Back on Topic

not sure about the Harleys will have to wait and see how they get on !!!!

NGA- AFAIK the Pan from Galway ended up in Dublin for couple of years as it wasn't been used or grounded as you say

So does that mean, its not stored under the stairs in Galway anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Actual Paramedic

scholar007 wrote: »
    So does that mean, its not stored under the stairs in Galway anymore?

Was used in the East NAS but has since been sold off.

Advertisement