Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE Motorcycle?

Options
  • 07-04-2011 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭

Saw a photo on facepalm of a Harley Davidson with all the stripes and markings of an ambulance, Please tell me this is a bad April Fools joke? 11KE reg.
    If Not...
    Have the HSE gone nuts? Did they seek advice from any other agency that routinely uses motorcycles?

Or did they just watch "Easy Rider"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Its an officers Bike for long rides into the sunset at the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

they have emergency service personnell on motorbikes in england .... why not here.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    why not here.

If the pictures I have seen are anything to go by, Not mine so not posting, its akin to a Harley Road King Classic.

http://www.automobilebestbuys.com/cycle/imagegd/imagevp.php?1411685511.jpg

EDIT: It's a "FLHTP ELECTRIC GLIDE POLICE DR"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

I've seen the pics of the ambulance service bikes on another forum. It is true. They already have BMW's in use in Dublin, what made them buy these is beyond me.........Someone watching too much Chips me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Saw a photo on facepalm of a Harley Davidson with all the stripes and markings of an ambulance, Please tell me this is a bad April Fools joke? 11KE reg.
    If Not...
    Have the HSE gone nuts? Did they seek advice from any other agency that routinely uses motorcycles?

Or did they just watch "Easy Rider"?

Its a joke or a mock up.

HSE grounded all their bikes in....circa 2006 (ish??). 1200 Pans and deauvilles. HSE NAS still have them I believe, just not allowing them be used......why they arent in cities is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

maglite wrote: »
    If the pictures I have seen are anything to go by, Not mine so not posting, its akin to a Harley Road King Classic.

http://www.automobilebestbuys.com/cycle/imagegd/imagevp.php?1411685511.jpg

EDIT: It's a "FLHTP ELECTRIC GLIDE POLICE DR"

Why god, WHY????

Probably costs twice as much as a Pan or BMW.

What next, Fire engines from Seagrave? Ambulances by Horton on a Ford F350 Chassis? Crown Victoria Patrol cars?(Actually that wouldn't be so bad).

I would love to know what genius decided this was a good idea, given the commonality of BMW/Honda or Yamaha everywhere else in europe. Also, what happened the HSE Deauvilles?

NGA wrote: »
    Its a joke or a mock up.

HSE grounded all their bikes in....circa 2006 (ish??). 1200 Pans and deauvilles. HSE NAS still have them I believe, just not allowing them be used......why they arent in cities is beyond me.

The pics I've seen on another forum, which I won't post here as they're not my pics have 2 or 3 of these bikes in a HSE facility, so neither a joke nor a mock up it would appear.

foinse wrote: »
    The pics I've seen on another forum, which I won't post here as they're not my pics have 2 or 3 of these bikes in a HSE facility, so neither a joke nor a mock up it would appear.

Mother of god....what the hell are they thinking???

EDIT: Pm me linky???

Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 34 drill

NGA wrote: »
    Its a joke or a mock up.

Not true i'm afraid NGA, NAS bikes were never grounded and work out in South County Dublin( NAS 999 call taking area) for the last 8+ years.

They started with Deauvilles now have 3 BMWs and 3 Harleys (had a pan now retired )
    In relation to city use They have been placed in Dublin City on a number of occations but as DFB are the primary 999 calltakers for the city area DFB refused the offer of a bike response dispatching a tender instead

They respond to all calls in South County Dublin, Wicklow,Kildare and anywhere requested by NAS control requests

• Advertisement

drill wrote: »
    Not true i'm afraid NGA, NAS bikes were never grounded and work out in South County Dublin( NAS 999 call taking area) for the last 8+ years.

They started with Deauvilles now have 3 BMWs and 3 Harleys (had a pan now retired )
    In relation to city use They have been placed in Dublin City on a number of occations but as DFB are the primary 999 calltakers for the city area DFB refused the offer of a bike response dispatching a tender instead

They respond to all calls in South County Dublin, Wicklow,Kildare and anywhere requested by NAS control requests

Jesus didnt know that. Thanks for clarifying and good to hear. My only experience of the HSE bikes was Galway in that time, only lasted a month or so and they stopped.

Should be in every city. Harleys are a joke though.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭ivabiggon

DFB refused the offer of a bike response dispatching a tender instead

not true, DFB will always take an ambulance when its offered by the HSE, only problem they are not always available or are too far away, the bikes aren't posted around the city centre anyway... and the DFB will send a fire truck even if they have receive an ambulance or a bike if the case requires it. there is not alot a biker can do on their own at a serious incident anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 drill

ivabiggon wrote: »
    not true, DFB will always take an ambulance when its offered by the HSE, only problem they are not always available or are too far away

Must be new Policy cause when i worked in control DFB would Q a call for a tallaght ( waiting on one to clear ) rather then accept a ambulance from naas or Loughlinstown reason to far ?
    the bikes aren't posted around the city centre anyway....

The bikes have spend regular stints in Dublin City but were not getting the call volume babis bike response was offered with and outlying station ambulance if an eras city amb was not available ,but were declined. they were only dispatched on city calls by eras control if an ERAS
    city amb was attending. all other bike offers for the city were declined by DFB
    there is not alot a biker can do on their own at a serious incident anyway.

One NAS Biker delivered TWINS in south County Dublin no so long ago while amb enroute I'D say that was serious enough

Back on Topic

not sure about the Harleys will have to wait and see how they get on !!!!

NGA- AFAIK the Pan from Galway ended up in Dublin for couple of years as it wasn't been used or grounded as you say

Am I missing something here?

Was there not a thread on here not too long ago, and posters were saying we should be using motorbikes? People were saying they'd be great for moving body parts about the place at speed and such (in the event of transplants, etc.)?

Wouldn't it also be somewhat handy for areas were Doctor on Call might be very busy?

For general moving of things from one place to another or bringing medication or such at speed or to attend to situations where an ambulance's ability to carry people would ultimately be wasted? :confused:

Must be new Policy cause when i worked in control DFB would Q a call for a tallaght ( waiting on one to clear ) rather then accept a ambulance from naas or Loughlinstown reason to far ?

The bikes have spend regular stints in Dublin City but were not getting the call volume babis bike response was offered with and outlying station ambulance if an eras city amb was not available ,but were declined. they were only dispatched on city calls by eras control if an ERAS
    city amb was attending. all other bike offers for the city were declined by DFB

One NAS Biker delivered TWINS in south County Dublin no so long ago while amb enroute I'D say that was serious enough

Back on Topic

not sure about the Harleys will have to wait and see how they get on !!!!

NGA- AFAIK the Pan from Galway ended up in Dublin for couple of years as it wasn't been used or grounded as you say

if you think sending an ambulance from the far end of the county is suppling an emergency service you should think again, when there is a fire tender with 5 paramedic within that area less than 5 mins away and delivering a baby is a wonderful experience, and i've delivered between 20/30 including 2 sets of twins in my 20 yr career it still is a naturally occurring event and not a serious one, it only get serious when there is a complication. now explain how a single practitioner would deal with two babies in respiratory arrest and deal with a panic strictened mother.
    personally i think having an extra transport ambulance in your armory is better than having two bikers, taking into account all the restrictions that come with the bike been put on the road, weather, night time etc. and you know there are restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

I think the old debate of the DFB having five Paramedics on a fire tender so is a better response has been done to death on a lot of similar threads.
    Having an additional ambulance in your fleet would be great, but it is another vehicle than can be delayed on long transports or delayed in hospitals. Just the same way a fire tender can be delayed at fires or entrapments.

This thread is about the HSE National Ambulance Service Motorcycle Response Unit.

The idea of single responders, ie; Motorcycles is to have a qualified responder responding to emergency calls. They are not the only responder, an ambulance is also responded, or indeed a fire tender as we know the delays ambulance crews suffer in some of Dublin's Emergency Departments.

MRU's (Motorcycle Response Units) are a big success in London and Sydney, so much so that both cities have in recent years expanded the size of those units.

The NAS MRU has been based in Dublin for almost eleven years now and the success of this service speaks for itself.
    It has had numerous successful cardiac arrest resusitations, assisted in many baby deliveries and has brought relief and aid to thousands of people well before an ambulance or fire tender arrived.

Over 90% of the MRU calls are on scene in under the best international practice guidelines, many of these calls are under five minutes.

The bikes have been deployed numerous times around the city center but due to the way Dublin City calls are received (another debate which comes up often) the call volume was low.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

The deauvilkes were decommissioned towards the end of last year. A bike shop in Dublin was advertising them for sale at the start of the year but the ad was subsequently withdrawn. The MRU has it's place in pre hospital care along with ambulances, cfr groups etc. As NGA has already pointed out, the concept of MRU's should be expanded to other cities where it would aid the necessity to meet the HIQA response times but as other posters have stated, it could also free up responding ambulances if they weren't needed.

Bang Bang wrote: »
    I think the old debate of the DFB having five Paramedics on a fire tender so is a better response has been done to death on a lot of similar threads.

MOD NOTE: Agreed, lets not get into the petty old arguement of my hose is bigger than your stretcher......(see what I did there??:D) Both services provide top class service to the communities in which they service......lets not loose sight that its all for the patients benefit.....not a services. Not aimed at any above poster but at everyone.

Personally, speaking from experience I have often waited for a ambulance at a scene for over 30mins only a few miles from one of the largest ambulance bases in the state. A Para on a bike (or indeed an AP on a bike) could hope between calls.....a first responder as such to the the pressure off.

Am I missing something here?

Was there not a thread on here not too long ago, and posters were saying we should be using motorbikes? People were saying they'd be great for moving body parts about the place at speed and such (in the event of transplants, etc.)?

Wouldn't it also be somewhat handy for areas were Doctor on Call might be very busy?

For general moving of things from one place to another or bringing medication or such at speed or to attend to situations where an ambulance's ability to carry people would ultimately be wasted? :confused:

Motorbikes, yes, But the H-D is to motorcycling what a camper van is to sports cars.

foinse wrote: »
    I've seen the pics of the ambulance service bikes on another forum. It is true. They already have BMW's in use in Dublin, what made them buy these is beyond me.........Someone watching too much Chips me thinks.

If only,
    CHiPs used Kawasaki's and BMWs in the updated TV Movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Buffman

Harleys seem to be popular with some US police forces, so maybe the HSE hasn't gone too mad! I'd be interested to know how much they cost compared to the BMW's. Can more equipment be carried on them?

With the current budget trends, I wonder will we see the below hitting the streets soon?:D

ambulance-bike.jpg

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Buffman wrote: »
    Harleys seem to be popular with some US police forces, so maybe the HSE hasn't gone too mad! I'd be interested to know how much they cost compared to the BMW's. Can more equipment be carried on them?

With the current budget trends, I wonder will we see the below hitting the streets soon?

ambulance-bike.jpg

Why not? It wouldn't break down as often as a H-D :)

It wouldn't break down as often as a H-D :)

I suppose that depends on who's pedaling!:)

They would come in handy in the city center I suppose, I've often seen ambos inching along Henry St or Grafton St at less than walking pace on a busy day.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Also, bicycles are immune from all aspects of the RTA so they would not be delayed by things like traffic lights or one way streets.........

ahem

Actually, forget about the bikes, I think these are the solution.:D

chicagofd.jpg?imgmax=512

2402_Segway-01_Lib_833768t.jpg

Irish Army have them, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Buffman wrote: »

I suspect some of the MRU people have done the Route 66 challenge for Temple St, come back with a Harley fetish and purchased accordingly.. :D

Harleys are popular with US Police forces because they want to buy American, not because they are technically superior. They're inferior to most modern motorcycles, even BMWs... A harley is a "lifestyle" motorcycle with 1920's technology, unreliable and incapable of cornering at speeds over 10mph. I wouldn't trust one with so serious a task and firmly believe that anyone who buys one for emergency response purposes is indeed mad!

RT66 wrote: »
    I suspect some of the MRU people have done the Route 66 challenge for Temple St, come back with a Harley fetish and purchased accordingly.. :D

Harleys are popular with US Police forces because they want to buy American, not because they are technically superior. They're inferior to most modern motorcycles, even BMWs... A harley is a "lifestyle" motorcycle with 1920's technology, unreliable and incapable of cornering at speeds over 10mph. I wouldn't trust one with so serious a task and firmly believe that anyone who buys one for emergency response purposes is indeed mad!

Most US police forces have switched to BMW in the last few years.

who wants to spend the day listening to "potato-potato-potato-potato" all day?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

maglite wrote: »
    2402_Segway-01_Lib_833768t.jpg

Irish Army have them, why not?

they have the sense not to show their faces. ;)

• Advertisement

Most US police forces have switched to BMW in the last few years.

who wants to spend the day listening to "potato-potato-potato-potato" all day?

potato patato patatoe......whats that all about?

Advertisement