Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

The Best 10k workouts - by Greg Mcmillan

1246717

Comments



  • Did the 2x2 mile followed by 2x1 mile session on UCC track (in absolutely super shape, was this track relaid recently?) Felt ok. The second of the 2 milers was, unsurprisingly, the toughest but I just managed to hold pace.

    As for the rest period, I took 4 minutes instead of 5 between the 2 milers. I noticed at the start of this thread someone said they had changed the time from 3 - really tough - to 5 minutes. I thought the 5 was a little generous, hence the 4 as a compromise. 3 weeks to target race. I'll hopefully get one of the alternate week sessions in soon. I was thinking of the 200mts by 20 say. Just to do sub 10k pace and then with a week and a half to go, have a lash off the 3x2 mile workout.




  • So, it looks like I'm talking to myself here, but that's ok. It may prove useful or helpful for someone in the future. Today I did the 'ultimate' 10k workout. Hope it's as good as its word. Went well enough even if the first 2 miler was a bit quick and I was suffering a bit by the 3rd.

    The pace went as follows (all Garmin times so I'd always add on 2 or 3 secs per kilometer): 3:37, 3:42, 3:45. Took 4 minute jog/rest between.

    For those who aren't familiar with the plan, it called for 3x2 miles. 10 days to target race, not much left to do now.




  • Itziger wrote: »
    So, it looks like I'm talking to myself here, but that's ok. It may prove useful or helpful for someone in the future. Today I did the 'ultimate' 10k workout. Hope it's as good as its word. Went well enough even if the first 2 miler was a bit quick and I was suffering a bit by the 3rd.

    The pace went as follows (all Garmin times so I'd always add on 2 or 3 secs per kilometer): 3:37, 3:42, 3:45. Took 4 minute jog/rest between.

    For those who aren't familiar with the plan, it called for 3x2 miles. 10 days to target race, not much left to do now.
    Looking forward to the result, with baited breath. ;) Not many have managed to complete all of the training sessions, but still went on to secure solid 10k times, so you should be optimistic. What's the target race?




  • Looking forward to the result, with baited breath. ;) Not many have managed to complete all of the training sessions, but still went on to secure solid 10k times, so you should be optimistic. What's the target race?

    It's the famous Postlaf, Krusty. A fine race to be fair. Big crowd and as I hope to knock a good chunk off the pb, I must try to get up further at the start this year.

    http://postlaf.rtl.lu




  • Itziger wrote: »
    So, it looks like I'm talking to myself here, but that's ok. It may prove useful or helpful for someone in the future. Today I did the 'ultimate' 10k workout. Hope it's as good as its word. Went well enough even if the first 2 miler was a bit quick and I was suffering a bit by the 3rd.

    The pace went as follows (all Garmin times so I'd always add on 2 or 3 secs per kilometer): 3:37, 3:42, 3:45. Took 4 minute jog/rest between.

    For those who aren't familiar with the plan, it called for 3x2 miles. 10 days to target race, not much left to do now.

    It may feel like you're talking to yourself, but I reckon there's a good few following the conversation ;), seriously thanks for keeping us updated. It'll be great to see how you get on, like Krusty said, with those splits you should be very confident of hitting your target. Are you targetting sub 37:30?


  • Advertisement


  • wrstan wrote: »
    It may feel like you're talking to yourself, but I reckon there's a good few following the conversation ;), seriously thanks for keeping us updated. It'll be great to see how you get on, like Krusty said, with those splits you should be very confident of hitting your target. Are you targetting sub 37:30?

    Well the pb is 38.26 and I'm not getting that much younger (whatever Belcarra might say) so I'd be chuffed with 37:30. Short hill at km 7 is a bit of a bastard but fingers crossed. It'll be my 4th time running this and the previous efforts were 43.00, 39:40 and the pb above.

    First time doing this plan though.




  • Itziger, on the plan you are doing, is it just 1 session per week with a tempo run or do you do 2 sessions per week and a tempo??

    Currently on a 10k plan - I'm trying to do a longer interval (say 5x1m or 2x800/1200) and a speed session such as 12x400 or 8x2mins.
    My 5k time has reduced from 19:28 in Dec to 18:18 (unofficial 'fun run' time) doing this.

    I have not done the 2 sessions every week - all depend's as to how I'm feeling or if I'm racing that wee.
    Also - the next few weeks brings in longer tempo runs, so these may replace one of the sessions.

    Part of me is worried about doing too much (2 sessions) (as well as 5 Aside) - so just looking for advice/reassurance??




  • Itziger, on the plan you are doing, is it just 1 session per week with a tempo run or do you do 2 sessions per week and a tempo??

    Currently on a 10k plan - I'm trying to do a longer interval (say 5x1m or 2x800/1200) and a speed session such as 12x400 or 8x2mins.
    My 5k time has reduced from 19:28 in Dec to 18:18 (unofficial 'fun run' time) doing this.

    I have not done the 2 sessions every week - all depend's as to how I'm feeling or if I'm racing that wee.
    Also - the next few weeks brings in longer tempo runs, so these may replace one of the sessions.

    Part of me is worried about doing too much (2 sessions) (as well as 5 Aside) - so just looking for advice/reassurance??

    RK, I'm not really the man to ask. I've only been doing the key sessions in that plan. The weather here has been a bit of a pain and I've not been able to train that well. I've been doing 4 days a week and that includes one or two trail sessions. These have been tough and I'm hoping will stand me on the day but apart from the intervals I haven't done any fancy stuff. I'd say a few tempo runs would be perfect as a second fast piece of work a week. Again, I only really did one more or less tempo run.

    With 4 days to go I'm nursing a slight calf strain but it's on the mend and I'm looking forward to the target race. I only usually do 1 10k a year so here's hoping it goes well!

    Just looking at your post again. For me, yeah, I'd be worried that 2 track plus a tempo would be too much but your body might be able to take that. At 47 I wouldn't fancy it. In fact I think the calf problem was caused by doing a snappy 8k followed by the tough 3x2 mile two days later. Good luck anyway and do report back.




  • Itziger wrote: »

    With 4 days to go I'm nursing a slight calf strain but it's on the mend and I'm looking forward to the target race. I only usually do 1 10k a year so here's hoping it goes well!
    .

    Hope the calf clears up, very best of luck with the race, looking forward to hearing all about it




  • Marthastew wrote: »
    Hope the calf clears up, very best of luck with the race, looking forward to hearing all about it

    Thanks Martha. Not exactly full of confidence I must say. Went for a light run tonight and the bloody thing got sore after about 4 k. Had been fine at start and actually went quite suddenly. I was very close to home though and the minute I felt it, I stopped and turned around. I have 3 nights now to be nice to it. Mrs Itz is going to have to suffer in silence. Have a bit of Star Balm (same as Tiger basically) on it and I'm just hoping it doesn't get too sore on the day.

    Other than the calf I just felt like a sack of spuds tonight. Jeez, let's hope it's one of those cases where you just turn it around on race day. I'd been feeling great up to a week ago. I'd genuinely like to be able report back here having given it a real go whether I get the target time or not. I've never really flunked a race before (unless you count my first and second crampy marathons) ;)


  • Advertisement


  • Well, well. That Mcmillan lad is a bit off. Not by much mind. Garmin watch time of 37.48 instead of hoped for 37.30 but it's a pb by about 40 secs and I could've done a bit more training. I'll take it for what I did and I'll certainly try the plan again. A couple of Tempo and a couple of speed sessions on top of what I did and I'd be confident of making up the 18 seconds.

    Maybe leave the Guinness alone the day before (3 pints...). But all in all a good run. Last two km were strong after leaking a bit of time on hill at km7.

    No problem whatsoever from calf. Human body is some machine.




  • Congrats, super time.




  • Itziger wrote: »
    Well, well. That Mcmillan lad is a bit off. Not by much mind. Garmin watch time of 37.48 instead of hoped for 37.30 but it's a pb by about 40 secs and I could've done a bit more training. I'll take it for what I did and I'll certainly try the plan again. A couple of Tempo and a couple of speed sessions on top of what I did and I'd be confident of making up the 18 seconds.

    Maybe leave the Guinness alone the day before (3 pints...). But all in all a good run. Last two km were strong after leaking a bit of time on hill at km7.

    No problem whatsoever from calf. Human body is some machine.
    Well done itzy on a great time! Perhaps substitute the Guinness for red wine though! ;-)




  • belcarra wrote: »
    Well done itzy on a great time! Perhaps substitute the Guinness for red wine though! ;-)

    I know yeah, what's a poncy European like me doing with pints! I do find a few Guinness never seems to affect me. The wine is my drink of choice, but I feel you notice the dehydration more with it.

    Anyway, sure isn't Guinness full of proteins and carbs and "stuff".




  • Congrats Itziger serious running! Would you recommend all these sessions be done on a track or would the road do? Am very tempted to give it a go.




  • Yea, think I will do this again, as I need some kind of focus for the next couple of months since Marathons and Ultras are out of question given my lay off!

    A PB may be a stretch, but it will be fun trying - and its a good a training schedule as any:)




  • DOCO12 wrote: »
    Congrats Itziger serious running! Would you recommend all these sessions be done on a track or would the road do? Am very tempted to give it a go.

    That's a good question DOCO. I think if I were to try it again I might do at least a couple of the key sessions on the road. I do actually have a fine stretch of cycling path with very few users near where I live.

    Maybe the track spoils ya a bit.




  • Thanks Itziger. I'll go with the road for my key sessions and the track for 400m reps. It's more convenient for me to stick to road anyhow. Oh I'm dreading yet excited about this session already :)




  • DOCO12 wrote: »
    Thanks Itziger. I'll go with the road for my key sessions and the track for 400m reps. It's more convenient for me to stick to road anyhow. Oh I'm dreading yet excited about this session already :)

    That's how I felt. What pace you aiming for? I'd love to see a range of abilities try the plan and pool the info, then this thread could be really useful and maybe one or two of the more experienced runners could suggest tweaking the original and so on.




  • Itziger wrote: »

    That's how I felt. What pace you aiming for? I'd love to see a range of abilities try the plan and pool the info, then this thread could be really useful and maybe one or two of the more experienced runners could suggest tweaking the original and so on.

    My PB from last Summer is 46.00. For the interim I wana break the 46 and then hopefully the 45. I've been suffering from IT Band Syndrome since Dublin marathon so only just back pain free the last few weeks. Can't wait to get stuck into some speed work and mileage.
    Anyways I went out this eve and I survived :) wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I did a one mile very slow warmup. My reps were abit all over the place 6.54 / 6.56 / 7.04 / 7.17 (big hill here) / 7.05 / 7.05 . I finished with 1mile cooldown. I read somewhere that McMillan had changed the rest period from 3mins to 5mins so I took a happy medium and opted for 4mins. I actually think this was abit too long. If were doing again I'd go 3mins. Feel great now. Nothing like some speed work for the endorphins :)


  • Advertisement


  • DOCO12 wrote: »
    My PB from last Summer is 46.00. For the interim I wana break the 46 and then hopefully the 45. I've been suffering from IT Band Syndrome since Dublin marathon so only just back pain free the last few weeks. Can't wait to get stuck into some speed work and mileage.
    Anyways I went out this eve and I survived :) wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I did a one mile very slow warmup. My reps were abit all over the place 6.54 / 6.56 / 7.04 / 7.17 (big hill here) / 7.05 / 7.05 . I finished with 1mile cooldown. I read somewhere that McMillan had changed the rest period from 3mins to 5mins so I took a happy medium and opted for 4mins. I actually think this was abit too long. If were doing again I'd go 3mins. Feel great now. Nothing like some speed work for the endorphins :)

    Yeah, the rest period is up for grabs it would seem. I did 3 minutes for the 1 mile reps and 4 mins between the 2 mile lads. I suppose if you could do the 2 milers with just 3 minutes rest twould be even better. Always the fairly thin line of pushing it without injuring yourself - especially when you're not 20-30 age cat anymore. Good luck with it.

    Are you being a bit conservative with the aim? 46 to sub 46 doesn't seem too ambitious!!!




  • Itziger wrote: »

    Yeah, the rest period is up for grabs it would seem. I did 3 minutes for the 1 mile reps and 4 mins between the 2 mile lads. I suppose if you could do the 2 milers with just 3 minutes rest twould be even better. Always the fairly thin line of pushing it without injuring yourself - especially when you're not 20-30 age cat anymore. Good luck with it.

    Are you being a bit conservative with the aim? 46 to sub 46 doesn't seem too ambitious!!!

    Ya it say ill need the 4mins when I start the 2mile reps. Prob is abit conservative, but as said I'm only coming back from injury haven't done anything fast since oct so am afraid I've lost allot of my sharpness. Time will tell. Oh course I'd only love to be going into the 43/44 mark. That would be a respectable enought time for me I hope :)
    Anyone know what would be considered a good 10k time for a female to aim for? Thanks




  • DOCO12 wrote: »
    Ya it say ill need the 4mins when I start the 2mile reps. Prob is abit conservative, but as said I'm only coming back from injury haven't done anything fast since oct so am afraid I've lost allot of my sharpness. Time will tell. Oh course I'd only love to be going into the 43/44 mark. That would be a respectable enought time for me I hope :)
    Anyone know what would be considered a good 10k time for a female to aim for? Thanks

    Ooops, didn't realise you were female and coming back from injury to boot! Sub 45 would surely be considered fairly decent, no?

    In Sunday's race all the fast women stayed at home cos none of em beat me. Weird - in the same race last year there were 2 or 3 ahead of me.




  • I've taken on this training plan and have so far completed two of the sessions. Found both of them very tough but was able to maintain my goal pace (4:08/km).

    My goal race is the Great Ireland Run in April and am aiming for a big improvement on my PB of 44:54 ran in the same race in 2012. Based on 4:08/km, i'm hoping to get home somewhere under 41:30. I ran DCM last October and have since been focusing on shorter distances. I've got my 5k time down to 19:40 and am hoping to get to 19:30 this weekend in the St. Patrick's Festival 5k.

    I'll let you know how I'm getting on. Third session is pencilled in for next week.




  • Super post .. Nice one




  • shels4ever wrote: »
    Got this in an email today thoguh someone might find it useful.

    Full article here

    Brilliant




  • Sorry I'm very slack posting here. Did my second session last week first thing in the morning before I'd eaten and I think it's evident that speed and me without my coffee don't work too well. My splits were 7.16 / 6.56 / 6.45 / 6.57 / 7.13 / 7.16. So as you can see my splits were abit all over the place. Again this was done on the road. This time I took 3mins recovery between splits. In my non session weeks I've done 400reps and this week Im hoping to do a 5k time trial. Have to say I'm enjoying these sessions, well the feeling once there done that is :) Hope everyone else is enjoying too.




  • DOCO12 wrote: »
    Sorry I'm very slack posting here. Did my second session last week first thing in the morning before I'd eaten and I think it's evident that speed and me without my coffee don't work too well. My splits were 7.16 / 6.56 / 6.45 / 6.57 / 7.13 / 7.16. So as you can see my splits were abit all over the place. Again this was done on the road. This time I took 3mins recovery between splits. In my non session weeks I've done 400reps and this week Im hoping to do a 5k time trial. Have to say I'm enjoying these sessions, well the feeling once there done that is :) Hope everyone else is enjoying too.

    Thanks for the update. I see you are doing your mile repeat sessions on the road with a hill at one point. My experience is that it is really hard to get good quality in these sessions if they are over variable terrain or conditions. It is very hard to ensure that you are getting a consistent effort level that tell you about your level of fitness and that would reflect race conditions. I know that race conditions may also be variable.

    If you can find a relatively flat area, I think you would get much more out of these sessions. When I followed this programme I used a grass field in my local park that had a perimeter of almost exactly 800m so that worked really well. However that field was pretty much unusable through the winter. When I run this type of cruise interval on a very variable or windy route, I just get frustrated.

    Good to see that the recovery is coming on.




  • DOCO12 wrote: »
    Sorry I'm very slack posting here. Did my second session last week first thing in the morning before I'd eaten and I think it's evident that speed and me without my coffee don't work too well. My splits were 7.16 / 6.56 / 6.45 / 6.57 / 7.13 / 7.16. So as you can see my splits were abit all over the place. Again this was done on the road. This time I took 3mins recovery between splits. In my non session weeks I've done 400reps and this week Im hoping to do a 5k time trial. Have to say I'm enjoying these sessions, well the feeling once there done that is :) Hope everyone else is enjoying too.

    DOCO, to each her own (!) but I would find the interval stuff more or less impossible early in the morning. I also found I enjoyed the sessions, and would agree that this feeling came after I'd done them! If you can do them on the road I think it might stand to you on the day.Good luck and keep posting.


  • Advertisement


  • elPadrino wrote: »
    I've taken on this training plan and have so far completed two of the sessions. Found both of them very tough but was able to maintain my goal pace (4:08/km).

    My goal race is the Great Ireland Run in April and am aiming for a big improvement on my PB of 44:54 ran in the same race in 2012. Based on 4:08/km, i'm hoping to get home somewhere under 41:30. I ran DCM last October and have since been focusing on shorter distances. I've got my 5k time down to 19:40 and am hoping to get to 19:30 this weekend in the St. Patrick's Festival 5k.

    I'll let you know how I'm getting on. Third session is pencilled in for next week.

    Just a quick update on this. I managed the 5k in 19:33 but picked up a slight niggle and haven't been able to complete the third or fourth sessions. Hoping to return to this again when I'm injury free as my pace has definitely improved.


Advertisement