Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub Quiz!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 champo

Please support, City of Sport Pub Quiz...... All draft as usual only 3 bucks
    And FR** DRINK FOR EVERYBODY THAT COMES AND PLAYS ON ME :-)[/QUOTE]

Free Drink from Ken??id nearly come back from Australia just to see it!! Hope ye are all doing well lads! :)

Champo

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Skill

Bit early for notice, but there's a quiz on in Bobby Byrne's on November 30th, 8.30 - lots of prizes and a good cause

Skill wrote: »
    Bit early for notice, but there's a quiz on in Bobby Byrne's on November 30th, 8.30 - lots of prizes and a good cause

CORRECTION: Apologies, that quiz is on Thursday night, December 1st in Bobby's. In aid of www.sowetoconnection.org so all money raised goes directly to work in South African townships. Prizes for first and second teams, finger food, original questions, great raffle prizes and a very good cause. €40 per table, kicks off just after 8.30

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

CORRECTION: Apologies, that quiz is on Thursday night, December 1st in Bobby's. In aid of www.sowetoconnection.org so all money raised goes directly to work in South African townships. Prizes for first and second teams, finger food, original questions, great raffle prizes and a very good cause. €40 per table, kicks off just after 8.30

€40 kinda steep given there's only prizes for the first 2 teams??? Good cause i get ya, but still too rich for my blood i'm afraid!

Hey Zuroph....

We'll have some job replacing the champ!!!!! We're considering closing the company, we couldn't afford the key man insurance :-)

Anyways.....

We'll take it all on board and I'll go through it with Dessie, we'll see how he fairs out and if there still issue's we'll have to go back to the ballot boxes!!!!!

While we have all the quizzzers here...

theres a quiz on next wed night, questions called out over radio, live 95, hopefully good night, I have warned the 2 year old that she better be in bed by 9 so can go down!!!!!

Please support, City of Sport Pub Quiz...... All draft as usual only 3 bucks
    And FR** DRINK FOR EVERYBODY THAT COMES AND PLAYS ON ME :-)

Is the quiz still going on? Kinda lost faith for a few weeks when recriminations started flying and then dropped off, but if its still going might try and put a team in on Monday night

• Advertisement

constantg wrote: »
    €40 kinda steep given there's only prizes for the first 2 teams??? Good cause i get ya, but still too rich for my blood i'm afraid!

that's fair enough, Constant, thanks. It will be an excellent night, though. All fresh questions, bit of finger food, really good raffle prizes etc, and every cent goes to work in the South African townships with no overhead at all. And all for the price of the cinema :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

€40 per team is standard for a charity quiz, the amount of prizes shouldn't be a concern for entering.

If you believe in the cause then that's all that should matter.

source wrote: »
    €40 per team is standard for a charity quiz, the amount of prizes shouldn't be a concern for entering.

If you believe in the cause then that's all that should matter.

If you believe in the cause then why not give the money without needing to enter and take the chance of taking a prize which could be sold to support the cause???

If you believe in the cause then why not give the money without needing to enter and take the chance of taking a prize which could be sold to support the cause???

Charities don't get enough money, (I give to charity on a regular basis, Irish Kidney Association and Irish Heart Foundation, in case you're wondering), and because people don't donate they have to hold events which people feel like they're getting something for their money.

I do go to charity quizzes, because I like quizzes, I also choose which quiz I go to based on whether or not I agree with the cause. I don't go in order to win prizes. If I happen to win and the prize is an item I take the prize (usually a worth a lot less than the money taken in during the course of the evening and usually donated to the charity by a local business, quite often a cheap bottle of wine). IF the prize is cash, the unwritten rule is it gets donated back to the charity, and I do this gladly.

Don't try to make me out to be a bad person for being willing to contribute to charity.

source wrote: »
    (I give to charity on a regular basis, Irish Kidney Association and Irish Heart Foundation, in case you're wondering)

I wasn't actually, being honest. But well done.

Don't try to make me out to be a bad person for being willing to contribute to charity.

I'm not; you're getting defensive all on your own in this regard.

• Advertisement

I'm not; you're getting defensive all on your own in this regard.

I believe your post was a jab at the fact that I'm willing to pay into a charity quiz and then take a prize if I win.

I'm not going to go into it any further with you. If you don't want to go to a charity quiz because you find the price too steep, €10 a head is pretty cheap as nights out go, then that's your problem.

I believe your post was a jab at the fact that I'm willing to pay into a charity quiz and then take a prize if I win.

It wasn't. You're making a mountain out of a molehill. Relax.
    I'm not going to go into it any further with you.

That has always been your choice.

If you don't want to go to a charity quiz because you find the price too steep, €10 a head is pretty cheap as nights out go, then that's your problem.

I'm a PhD student. €10 is what it costs to feed me for one day of the week, so excuse me for pointing out that it is actually a decent sum to some of us these days. I don't drink anymore so a night out is usually pretty cheap anyway.

My only point is that I felt that €10 was a bit steep for a charity quiz, that's all. If it was lower I might go to it seeing as Bobby's is only a stone's throw away.

so hows the quiz going in o'connells these days??

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭SnoopyGunner

champo wrote: »
    so hows the quiz going in o'connells these days??

It's going ok but it's not the same without you! We miss you!

It's fun yeah, but no-where near the heights reached when you were quizmaster, all the teasing, joking and slightly dodgy innuendo lol aww come back to us! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

It's going ok but it's not the same without you! We miss you!

It's fun yeah, but no-where near the heights reached when you were quizmaster, all the teasing, joking and slightly dodgy innuendo lol aww come back to us! ;)

We should get him to do it over Skype! :O

get whatever money ye can together and we'll talk...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Pieta House is a suicide and self-harm prevention centre, situated in Mungret, Co. Limerick.

A table quiz has been organised this Thursday 2nd February at 7.30pm to help raise much needed funds for this great cause.

On the night:
    A table of 4 - €20
    Single tickets can be bought for €5 each.

ALL ARE WELCOME!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

gaf1983 wrote: »
    Pieta House is a suicide and self-harm prevention centre, situated in Mungret, Co. Limerick.

A table quiz has been organised this Thursday 2nd February at 7.30pm to help raise much needed funds for this great cause.

On the night:
    A table of 4 - €20
    Single tickets can be bought for €5 each.

ALL ARE WELCOME!!!

Where is it on?

From wired FM, "at the Ardhu Bar on the Ennis Road"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm up for it anyway. Anyone fancy entering a team of Boardsies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

From wired FM, "at the Ardhu Bar on the Ennis Road"

Thanks - not only did I forget to say when it's on, I forgot to mention where it was on too. Yeah it's on in the Ardhu tonight at 7.30.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm up for it anyway. Anyone fancy entering a team of Boardsies?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Would love to if I could afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Anyone?

normally i'd have said im there already, but my body still hasn't forgiven me for pushing the boat out a fair bit after the quiz monday night... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I would, but I'm not feeling great today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dieIrina

Hello,

I just wanted to ask, whether you know any regular (weekly) pub quizzes in Limerick City? I know the one in O'Connels Pub every Monday. But are there also other quizzes? Especially on other days than Monday?

Cheers,
    Irina

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I see mention of one in Sextons on a wednesday night on their FB, might be worth checking out their FB for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

The Limerick FC Official Supporters Club are running a table quiz in O'Connell's Bar (Old Quarter) on Thursday May 10th. 8pm start. Table of 4 - 40.00 euro. Great prizes and raffle on the night. All are welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

dieIrina wrote: »
    Hello,

I just wanted to ask, whether you know any regular (weekly) pub quizzes in Limerick City? I know the one in O'Connels Pub every Monday. But are there also other quizzes? Especially on other days than Monday?

Cheers,
    Irina

Only saw this now, there's a weekly one in JJ Bowles' in Thomondgate. Thursday at 10 pm. Free Entry, 30 questions, winning teams get three free pints per member. Haven't been in a age but it was good fun when I used go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 VanV

The Limerick FC Official Supporters Club are running a table quiz in O'Connell's Bar (Old Quarter) on Thursday May 10th. 8pm start.

Limerick FC OSC
    Venue: O'Connells Bar, Little Ellen St
    Date: Thursday May 10th
    Time: 8pm
    Quiz: General Knowledge and Sport
    Price: €10 per person. Teams of four €40

There will be great prizes and raffles on the night. Drinks promotion with pints at €3 and complimentary finger food. All are welcome, should be good craic!

Advertisement