Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who thinks they have screwed up William St with all the Works going on

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

kilburn wrote: »
    Most of the city is built on arches and tunnels, they should look at a way of possibly opening one or two up as an attraction.

In Galway City for example there is a Customs office on Courthouse Lane where you can look into a glass window and see the old ruins of the old city(city walls - never read plaque)

I was in the basement of Mickey Martins last week. Thats all arches and stuff. Its kind of weird.

I was also under O'Connell Avenue as there are tunnells running from one side of the street to the other. There were guys working in the tunnells are well, repointing the walls. They said they will NEVER take the job again as everytime something big drives overhead the whole thing vibrates like it might cave in. I was there when something big and heavy passed overhead. Freaky. :eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

foinse wrote: »
    Is there a chance the track could bend?

Not on your life, my Hindu friend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

i think there could be a big claim going in against limerick City council due to the unsafe roads condition for pedestrians. i saw this old woman take a terrible fall in front of me due to the foothpath been broken up and very uneven & big hole in it. loads of people came to help her(so there was no need for me) but she was full of cuts. & bleeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

kilburn wrote: »
    Most of the city is built on arches and tunnels, they should look at a way of possibly opening one or two up as an attraction.

Not a bad idea, some of them look very cool.

Before Timberland went into it's unit on O'Connell Street, I was in the basement of that building where the old bank vaults used to be and I could walk right underneath the footpath outside and possibly under some of the road. Some of the arches and brickwork was very eyecatching, and if done right it could make for a very interesting tour/attraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

Underneath the Texas steakhouse restaurant used to be a pub that was in the tunnels,also the olde thom and a pub on the corner of bedford row underneath genelles shop(can't think of the name of it just now)both made use of tunnel like basements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

So did The Globe/Le Chic :D

Was used as storage

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

what exactly are they doing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The cornmarket brasserie was like it too wasnt it

Q: where are all the taxi ranks going to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Mc Love wrote: »

Q: where are all the taxi ranks going to be?
    Driving through town yesterday, seemingly everywhere!
    Outside pennys
    Sarsfield street right hand side
    Oconnell street opposite brown thomas
    roches street (2 over from william street, is that thomas or roches?)

• Advertisement

The Taxi drivers on William Street do not give a rats a*ss it appears. One guy had the back of his taxi nearly blocking the street across from Limerick Sports store. He thought "ah I can squeeze into this rank".

I got passed, looked in the rear view mirror to see a DHL van couldn't get passed. He blew the horn and the driver stuck his finger out the window(from taxi).

Nice.

Not one taxi on Sarsfield Street though where the ONLY proper taxi rank in the city exists.(other than the one next to the park)

Berty wrote: »
    The Taxi drivers on William Street do not give a rats a*ss it appears. One guy had the back of his taxi nearly blocking the street across from Limerick Sports store. He thought "ah I can squeeze into this rank".

I got passed, looked in the rear view mirror to see a DHL van couldn't get passed. He blew the horn and the driver stuck his finger out the window(from taxi).

Nice.

Not one taxi on Sarsfield Street though where the ONLY proper taxi rank in the city exists.(other than the one next to the park)
    Ah sure if there was room for someone to pass you, must have been looooads of room :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I'd have gotten out and dragged the prick from his car. Taxi drivers parking across pedestrian crossings, pet peeve of mine. grab a garda and bring them with you to get the bastards ticketed, theres more than enough ranks, they can piss off and use a quieter one.

zuroph wrote: »
    I'd have gotten out and dragged the prick from his car. Taxi drivers parking across pedestrian crossings, pet peeve of mine. grab a garda and bring them with you to get the bastards ticketed, theres more than enough ranks, they can piss off and use a quieter one.

Later after the last post I was coming up Sarsfield Street turning right onto O'Connell Street and there was a Passat Taxi with the back of his car WAYYY back into the junction. Why? Probably because he didn't want to block the pedestrian crossing.

What was he doing?

Trimming his nose hair. Very important work you might say.

URCHIN(Word of the day)

P.S Screw you Phil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

There doesn't seem to be any system to the way the taxis are parking. Before the road works started the taxi's always overflowed at the bottom of the street at the side of Meteor sticking out onto O Connell Street. On O Connell Street they are overflowing onto Sarsfield Street making it very awkward for cars to go around the bend. When they where on the left hand side of Sarsfield Street they would overflow back past the pub. The Gardai never seemed to move them and let them block up the road. There has to be some rule brought in that when it is overflown the taxi driver has to move on to another spot. Especially when its quiet (customer wise) and can build up very fast. There needs to be a clear system set up where the taxis enter on one street and flow to the front on the other. If O Connell Street is full they should be made park on the right on Sarsfield St until there is space to come around onto O Connell St.

If I had the time and inclination and another loser I would like to get a wheelchair and wander around time shouting at taxi drivers and old people who deem it acceptable to block sunken footpaths and pedestrian crossings. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

If I had the time and inclination and another loser I would like to get a wheelchair and wander around time shouting at taxi drivers and old people who deem it acceptable to block sunken footpaths and pedestrian crossings. :D

I've a mate who was talking about wanting to do similar.
    Jofspring wrote:
    There doesn't seem to be any system to the way the taxis are parking. Before the road works started the taxi's always overflowed at the bottom of the street at the side of Meteor sticking out onto O Connell Street. On O Connell Street they are overflowing onto Sarsfield Street making it very awkward for cars to go around the bend. When they where on the left hand side of Sarsfield Street they would overflow back past the pub. The Gardai never seemed to move them and let them block up the road. There has to be some rule brought in that when it is overflown the taxi driver has to move on to another spot. Especially when its quiet (customer wise) and can build up very fast. There needs to be a clear system set up where the taxis enter on one street and flow to the front on the other. If O Connell Street is full they should be made park on the right on Sarsfield St until there is space to come around onto O Connell St.

I f*cking hate this and trust me on this, it's a pet peeve of pretty much every Garda in Limerick. They have been given numerous tickets for parking within 5 meters of a corner. They don't give a crap. They just keep coming back. Also, unfortunately it's too busy in this city to post a Garda there full time.

foinse wrote: »
    I've a mate who was talking about wanting to do similar.

I f*cking hate this and trust me on this, it's a pet peeve of pretty much every Garda in Limerick. They have been given numerous tickets for parking within 5 meters of a corner. They don't give a crap. They just keep coming back. Also, unfortunately it's too busy in this city to post a Garda there full time.

Funny how taxi drivers are so ignorant with parking elsewhere, but god help you if you encroach an inch upon the holy taxi rank.
    Limerick city council should be the first in the world to implement

"ParkingLikeANumpty (PLAN)!" Send a picture message including reg of an illegally parked vehicle to a special garda hotline or email address. Offender then gets charged the fine and picture taker gets a percentage of the fine paid as a reward (perhaps in phone credit, haven't worked out all the details).
    Brilliant idea or what?

Remember the talk about the fact the lines on Sarsfield Street suggest the right lane is for going on as well.

I followed the suggestions here and figured. The left lane basically comes to an end, due to the road works, so if both lanes go straight on then the right lane must be the lane with priority as the right lane is the only one which continues straight.

Twice I have nearly been involved in a crash with people beeping their horns and waving fists.

Yet now that I use the left lane others still use the right lane as well.

You just cannot win.

Also: In the left lane it has a straight and right arrow with BUS in red. Would it be fair to assume that it means ONLY the bus can use this lane for straight and turning right. Probably not but it IS the council who put this down. :rolleyes:

left lane is for going straight ahead, right lane is for going straight ahead, people beeping and waving at you are wrong. the right turn is for bus only from left lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Remember the talk about the fact the lines on Sarsfield Street suggest the right lane is for going on as well.

I followed the suggestions here and figured. The left lane basically comes to an end, due to the road works, so if both lanes go straight on then the right lane must be the lane with priority as the right lane is the only one which continues straight.

Twice I have nearly been involved in a crash with people beeping their horns and waving fists.

Yet now that I use the left lane others still use the right lane as well.

You just cannot win.

Also: In the left lane it has a straight and right arrow with BUS in red. Would it be fair to assume that it means ONLY the bus can use this lane for straight and turning right. Probably not but it IS the council who put this down. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the right arrow in the left lane is for bus drivers only...you'd think they'd just put a straight arrow...and assume the bus drivers know they can turn right.

They also have a straight arrow in the right lane, a lane that was traditionally the lane for turning up O'Connell Street. :confused:

Don't understand it at all. :confused:

zuroph wrote: »
    I just wanted to quote this, the day Berty was finally inexcusably IN THE WRONG on a driving matter! :D You've made my day Berty, A thank you!! :pac:

Nope, see I tried it your way Mike and It didn't work out. I was obviously(naturally) correct and will continue to take my original course of action.

Moral: Never doubt yourself. :D

Nope, see I tried it your way Mike and It didn't work out. I was obviously(naturally) correct and will continue to take my original course of action.

Moral: Never doubt yourself. :D

lol. dont give into the incorrect bullies Berty, you keep your head up and be proud in the right lane..

the reason there is two lanes going straight ahead is there will be two lanes up william street, and eventually o connell street will be pedestrianised outside BT.

What did you say?

head-in-sand.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

By the time all these grandiose boulevards are in place in Limerick city centre,The city centre will be a ghost town inhabited by scobes,drunks and druggies,as no one sane will want to come into it,as there will be no busisness in the centre first off.Due to the stupidly high rates to pay for these revamps.Anyone not notice how out of proprotion they are to the buildings??Not to mind nill parking facilities except in the rippoff parking lots.
    Well done Limerick city councillors and town planners you are creating a donut conurbation and killing the centre.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mastershake

In fairness something has to be done to sort out the city center.Leaving things as they are will only lead to further deterioration.The place is an absolute kip especially William st but these works should see it reach its potential.Bedford row and Thomas st have been a huge success in my opinion and a job similar to Patrick's st in cork for William st would be hugely beneficial for attracting new stores and shoppers/tourists.

People here want something for nothing.Quit whining about short time works and instead focus on the greater long term benefit for the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

In fairness something has to be done to sort out the city center.Leaving things as they are will only lead to further deterioration.The place is an absolute kip especially William st but these works should see it reach its potential.Bedford row and Thomas st have been a huge success in my opinion and a job similar to Patrick's st in cork for William st would be hugely beneficial for attracting new stores and shoppers/tourists.

People here want something for nothing.Quit whining about short time works and instead focus on the greater long term benefit for the city.

The only way to make William Street nice is to evict about 60% of the tenants and I can't see that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Nice????????????:eek::eek: Sorry.But I hate to say your sense of archetectural proportion leaves alot to be desired!!Whoever did this to Limerick should be simply taken out and thrown into the Shannon wearing concrete wellies!!
    EVERY last project of any merit in this town has been a disaster!!Be it town planing or traffic management or "improving " the looks of the city.
    The glass box in King Johns castle ..It is SOOO bad that even pictures of Limerick are angled to hide or remove it form destroying the picture,or it is simply airbrushed out.The riverwalk to Plassey,big talk of water taxis etc,millions wasted, looks like a tip again,council and waterways Ireland play pass the blame. Lets not talk about the marina,or the boardwalk,or the oil derrick..err..Xmas tree that collided with the bridge and sunk this year.:rolleyes: The demolition of Cruises hotel years ago for the muggers paradise of cruises street..Any other town would have turned that into a beautiful indoor shopping arcade..But not Limerick..No we demolish it and fling up red brick horrors.:mad:

Those huge boulevards of sidewalks are totally out of proportion to the buildings and the town ,and what was put in Bedford Row was a disgrace!!It is a soulless monstrosity of uninspired glass and fake marble.Clashing with the older buildings on the other side of the Ave of Puke...
    They demolished a building of significant historical value, an Art Deco building namley the old Bedford Motor works for this modern POS that graces the street now.
    Still I suppose the pavements are easy to clean now of puke and blood after a Saturday night,if the coropration would be botherd.

This wont attract Jack to the city centre..The rates are way too high as is the rent.The whole city centre from William St to Oconnell st and down to Henry St is now a FOR RENT,or FOR SALE sinage forest!!

WHY would I want to as a shopper and buissnesman want to come NEAR the city centre anymore??No parking facilities to do quick dropoffs without being jumped on by the traffic nazis with their 40 euro tickets.
    Got to lug everything that I might have bought to a car park,pay over the odds for that or on street parking.

A tourist,will see a derelict city centre with a bunch of overpriced brand name shops,and at night IF they go into the city centre will be hassled by scobes,druggies and alchos who are sitting and abusing the street furniture and passers by.So fancy,pavements that cause car choked lanes by now are going to compensate and enhance the "Limerick Experiance"??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Face it..This street planning is simply make work,and shifting the deck chairs on the Titanic!!It is a white elephant plan from the good years when we were" awash with money" and crackpot "Green" ideas of car free cities..Yeah..Car free,bus free,or any other form of realistic alternative transport for Irish weather conditions free transport.

Predict within ten years all this will be ripped out again,as people realise that if you want the CC to survive people have to be able to access it by car to have the convience of the shopping centres,and the rents will have to drop by 75to 90% on some of those dives they call shops.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

You're right. I call for a monorail immediately!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It begins! :eek:

On a more serious/on-topic note, did anyone read Bock the Robber's blog about William Street this week?

Advertisement