Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who thinks they have screwed up William St with all the Works going on

Options
  • 05-04-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭

Who thinks they have screwed up william street with all the works going on. Very Poorly organised. You can barely get a big car around the corner never a bus or truck.
    just wondering others opinions.

(i Know the Benefits l8r)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

William street really needs an update though it has gotten really run down, shame as there are some great shops up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

i know it does that corner though (keanes jewellers):eek::eek: nearly to go up on foothpath to clear corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

The whole street, buildings and all, should be levelled.
    Putting in a nice footpath won't make much of a difference if the buildings along it are still an eyesore.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I see buses passing up there every day with little or no issue tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

have seen buses and trucks taking that bend no bother on them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

If you can't manage to drive around a corner that a bus can, the issue mightn't be the road...

If you can't manage to drive around a corner that a bus can, the issue mightn't be the road...

:D I was going to say the same thing but didnt want to hurt their feelings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

i am well able i just wanted to see peoples reaction when i said it :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Although its moving fairly slowly, timewise, its going to be a great benefit to the city. The signs coming up Sarsfield Street dont help either though. They tell you the left lane ends ahead(obviously) but some people use the right lane for going straight ahead. Why?

The amount of times I have nearly been hit by people who are in the right lane(for turning right) is not funny who go straight on. (Somebody will surely suggest I am overtaking :p reffering to the Ennis Dual Carraigeway thread)

Whilst I'm at it. I used to have a big gripe with the Taxis coming across from the left who were heading up O'Connell Street. Now its a massive bus. Woe is me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Berty wrote: »
    Although its moving fairly slowly, timewise, its going to be a great benefit to the city. The signs coming up Sarsfield Street dont help either though. They tell you the left lane ends ahead(obviously) but some people use the right lane for going straight ahead. Why?

The amount of times I have nearly been hit by people who are in the right lane(for turning right) is not funny who go straight on. (Somebody will surely suggest I am overtaking :p reffering to the Ennis Dual Carraigeway thread)

Whilst I'm at it. I used to have a big gripe with the Taxis coming across from the left who were heading up O'Connell Street. Now its a massive bus. Woe is me. :(

Since Sarsfield Street re-opened the right hand lane has been for going straight on as well as the left hand lane. The right hand lane is marked for right turn and straight on for a good few months now. So basically the people going straight in the right hand lane are also in the right. They probably should have marked William Street better when they did this. William Street should actually be two lanes the whole way up (well before they started the new works on it anyway).

• Advertisement

I best have another look tomorrow. It doesn't make sense why both lanes would go straight considering William Street is only one lane.

I best have another look tomorrow. It doesn't make sense why both lanes would go straight considering William Street is only one lane.

Ya it doesn't make much sense and it has caused confusion alright (I have seen a lot of people going straight on in the right lane only to get ****ed out of it by the guy in the left lane even though going by the road markings they where perfectly entitled to) but thats definitely the way they re-marked the road. I still stick to the left lane and I'm sure most do as thats the way it has been for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

When all the works are finished, it'll make perfect sense. The only problem is that they completely finished Sarsfield Street along with all the road markings before the rest of the project was finished. Which was complete stupidity. It's not difficult to put down a right turn arrow and stick a straight ahead arrow on at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

Could be worse for you. If you live on William Street you have to put up with people working on the roads from early to often 2am. Those old building fairly vibrate when the jackhammers and JCB's are working. And we've at least another year of that given how long it took them to complete Thomas Street. :(

foinse wrote: »
    When all the works are finished, it'll make perfect sense. The only problem is that they completely finished Sarsfield Street along with all the road markings before the rest of the project was finished. Which was complete stupidity. It's not difficult to put down a right turn arrow and stick a straight ahead arrow on at a later date.

But I thought according to the plans someone put up here before William Street was going to be one lane all the way up with big foot paths, similar to Patrick Street in Cork.

Jofspring wrote: »
    But I thought according to the plans someone put up here before William Street was going to be one lane all the way up with big foot paths, similar to Patrick Street in Cork.

Patrick Street is two way, 1 in each direction. William Street will be the same, two lanes but travelling in 1 direction.

The plans

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

William street really needs an update though it has gotten really run down, shame as there are some great shops up there.

Sorry, what? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Anyone else find the digging very interesting? If you look in some areas, you can see the old brick arches underneath the street. Was that old sewage system?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

. They tell you the left lane ends ahead(obviously) but some people use the right lane for going straight ahead. Why?

The amount of times I have nearly been hit by people who are in the right lane(for turning right) is not funny who go straight on.

I just wanted to quote this, the day Berty was finally inexcusably IN THE WRONG on a driving matter! :D You've made my day Berty, A thank you!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

i know it does that corner though (keanes jewellers):eek::eek: nearly to go up on foothpath to clear corner.
    well then you cant drive properley if you cant clear that corner iv got around that in a bus:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

i am well able i just wanted to see peoples reaction when i said it :D:D
    O yea sure ya did:D:D:D

zuroph wrote: »
    I just wanted to quote this, the day Berty was finally inexcusably IN THE WRONG on a driving matter! :D You've made my day Berty, A thank you!! :pac:

I drove up it today. Sorry to ruin your day but I am not in the wrong yet! Back to the old days:

I WAS MERGING!!!! :p

I said to my missus earlier "sorry about that, I appear to be wrong". I'm afraid thats my quota for the day.

Oh yeah, the freshly painted BUS in a red box in the left lane suggesting that only the bus can turn right from the left lane. That is going to cause great confusion. I did also see the straight on arrow in the right hand lane. I still cannot figure out how that will work for William Street. :confused:

I drove up it today. Sorry to ruin your day but I am not in the wrong yet! Back to the old days:

I WAS MERGING!!!! :p

I said to my missus earlier "sorry about that, I appear to be wrong". I'm afraid thats my quota for the day.

Oh yeah, the freshly painted BUS in a red box in the left lane suggesting that only the bus can turn right from the left lane. That is going to cause great confusion. I did also see the straight on arrow in the right hand lane. I still cannot figure out how that will work for William Street. :confused:

ah yes, but there was a giant orange flashing road sign explaining the lanes for weeks, and the new road markings, you may be merging but you presumed they had no right to be driving straight on, which they did. You can merge when its safe to do so, not cut across traffic at your leisure ;)

Let us have this one Berty, We need it!

as for the right hand lane straight on, its two lanes the whole way up, with the plan to be (i guess) that buses pulling out will be able to pull across the front of traffic into that red area on a red light, and turn right then. no buses turning right should be in that bus stop IMO, but such are our planners. However, when the town centre is finished, there will be no right turn at all, so bus route will go up around town.

Let us have this one Berty, We need it!

................................:eek:.....................................:(

phill106 wrote: »
    Anyone else find the digging very interesting? If you look in some areas, you can see the old brick arches underneath the street. Was that old sewage system?

Most of the city is built on arches and tunnels, they should look at a way of possibly opening one or two up as an attraction.

kilburn wrote: »
    Most of the city is built on arches and tunnels, they should look at a way of possibly opening one or two up as an attraction.

or an underground monorail!

I hear those things are awfully loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

phill106 wrote: »

yes i noticed that myself ;)

foinse wrote: »
    I hear those things are awfully loud.

It glides as softly as a cloud. :D

• Advertisement

Is there a chance the track could bend?

Advertisement