Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish cattle breeds

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sculptor

recedite wrote: »

And it's free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

The first calf i bought was a kerry heifer calf, bought for 63 pounds 19 years ago and sold for 640 pounds springing at two years. It just brings back memories. ive only ever seen a few around and its the only one ive ever had cant say anything on the dexters and its the first time i ever heard of moils.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 irish moiled

good to know they are adding to the diversity of the irish moiled bulls available through AI. anyone have any news regarding the droim fhionn breed, i know they were awaitng approval from the department to be recognoised as a seperate breed. has this approval come yet?
    I find our own native breeds much better than these continental breeds. i cross my moiled bull onto continental cross cows and the weanlings sold very well.
    we are very quick to ignore our own,they are hardier, lower vet costs, minimal feed inputs and when crossed with the continentals are ideal for the suckler herd or for finishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 irish moiled

Anyone have any info on a breed of cattle called "Tyrone Black". Can't find any info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Anyone have any info on a breed of cattle called "Tyrone Black". Can't find any info

Are they a hybrid of angus ? Heard of breed a few years ago but not heard of them for a while

• Advertisement

1chippy wrote: »
    The first calf i bought was a kerry heifer calf, bought for 63 pounds 19 years ago and sold for 640 pounds springing at two years. It just brings back memories. ive only ever seen a few around and its the only one ive ever had cant say anything on the dexters and its the first time i ever heard of moils.

Two herds in kerry. The national park and Hillards. I think the national park in muckross sell in castleisland at back end of year but better contact them directly

blue5000 wrote: »
    FFs don't forget the canadian and australian angus as well

The finish and Danes also! Simple explanation of both aa. The irish angus soc and aberdeen association are same cattle and bloodlines. The irish angus are reg in carrick, money stays in Ireland and use to promo irish breeders - looking at angus jnl just sent out 28 euro from every calf reg was spent on promo of breed. The aberdeen assoc money goes to Scotland and the Scot decide how much is spent in Ireland - which is not a lot as aaa not involved in teagasc program. I also believe the chief exec of scot soc travelled to recent world angus forum in business class.

Advertisement