Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish cattle breeds

Options
  • 04-04-2011 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi,

Does anyone know where you can buy native breeds of cattle in Ireland?

Are they expensive? We are thinking about Dexters, but they seem very small.

I love Highland cattle, but they aren't native are they?

Sue

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

Souterrain wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know where you can buy native breeds of cattle in Ireland?

Are they expensive? We are thinking about Dexters, but they seem very small.

I love Highland cattle, but they aren't native are they?

Sue
    what about the kerry breed. heard of a kerry cow living to 26 years old. or the irish moil a very nice breed. the kerry breed and the dexter breed are for sale in the irish farmers journal classifieds every week . no highland cattle are native to scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

no Highlands are scotish.
    kerrys and dexters are the two native breeds.

there is a rare breed sale in one of the marts every year but cant remember where

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

no Highlands are scotish.
    kerrys and dexters are the two native breeds.

there is a rare breed sale in one of the marts every year but cant remember where
    i think it was carnaross mart they had rare breed pigs and sheep as well.

I dont think its carnaross . I think its in cavan or leitrim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 cows123

There is a rare breed sale in roscommon every year.

• Advertisement

Thats the one I was thinking of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I dont think its carnaross . I think its in cavan or leitrim

Drumshambo mart in leitrim has had them in the past, but none recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 scub

i'd have to ask why? its a little odd to say your thinking of dexters but they seem small......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

So apart from the historical and cultural value of keeping them, what is the commercial benefit of keeping either of these breeds..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

bbam wrote: »
    So apart from the historical and cultural value of keeping them, what is the commercial benefit of keeping either of these breeds..
    Probably not that much, but then most hobbies dont have much of a commercial benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Souterrain

scub wrote: »
    i'd have to ask why? its a little odd to say your thinking of dexters but they seem small......

Sorry I should have explained - they seem to be too small to be any sort of a commercial proposition.

As someone else said, a hobby doesn't have to make commercial sense, but we can't afford pet cattle either.

Irish Moiled Cattle look like a more practical option among the beef breeds, but all the indications are that it is a lot cheaper to buy them in England and import them.

Mad isn't it?

Sue

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭kathleenl

If you are looking for Native Irish cattle you will have to contact the Dromin Cattle Society (pronounced drom an). They are based in Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭mjcom4d

Irish angus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

mjcom4d wrote: »
    Irish angus

Aberdeen Angus?????????????

Bizzum wrote: »
    Irish angus

Aberdeen Angus?????????????

There's Aberdeen angus and Irish angus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

tell us more:rolleyes: we have been breeding aberdeen angus for over 20 years and have never heard of a purebred irish angus

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

FFs don't forget the canadian and australian angus as well

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    dont leave out the irish hereford or irish charolaois :rolleyes:

whelan1 wrote: »
    blue5000 wrote: »
    dont leave out the irish hereford or irish charolaois :rolleyes:

There's two societies as far as I know when your registering everything goes down in the book as AA but there's 2 beef premiums as well one for irish angus and one for Aberdeen angus

we are with the irish ABERDEEN ANGUS association:D

• Advertisement

we are with the irish ABERDEEN ANGUS association:D

And other people are with the Irish angus

2 societies mjcon4d, but same breed

2 societies mjcon4d, but same breed

Alright thanks for telling me that I was always wondering because my grandad said he got 2 Irish Angus when he started and there a lot bigger than Aberdeen angus

Alright thanks for telling me that I was always wondering because my grandad said he got 2 Irish Angus when he started and there a lot bigger than Aberdeen angus
    when we started we bought in canadian angus but they are still aberdeen angus

when we started we bought in canadian angus but they are still aberdeen angus

That's what I'm on about !!! when your filling in there number sex DOB and breed you can only put them down as AA my grandad saw some IRISH angus herd on Telly and said he got 2 cows like them when he started and they nearly had as much ad the neighbors herd of cows put together for milk

• Registered Users Posts: 16 irish moiled

Does anyone have a list of irish moiled bulls available through AI, I know Pennilea Perseus is available through Eurogene, but i dont want to use him, are there any others available?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sculptor

We will have straws available from Newbridge Darragh and Aughnakeilly Jammy soon. Keep an eye on the society website and the facebook page.

Irish Moiled, Kerry, Dexter and Dhroimeann are our only remaining Irish breeds.
    They were bred by our forefathers to produce very high quality milk and beef without expensive inputs, without harming the land and without the farmer having to run to the vet every other week.
    As some of us have found out to our cost, if you buy in the UK you are likely to be buying someone's rejects and you dont have much comeback when you are in a different juristiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

sculptor wrote: »
    We will have straws available from Newbridge Darragh and Aughnakeilly Jammy soon. Keep an eye on the society website and the facebook page.

Irish Moiled, Kerry, Dexter and Dhroimeann are our only remaining Irish breeds.
    They were bred by our forefathers to produce very high quality milk and beef without expensive inputs, without harming the land and without the farmer having to run to the vet every other week.
    As some of us have found out to our cost, if you buy in the UK you are likely to be buying someone's rejects and you dont have much comeback when you are in a different juristiction.

Who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

kboc wrote: »
    Who?

You're nobody if you're not on facebook these days :)
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.106115812777310.17296.104399489615609&type=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sculptor

Irish Moiled Cattle Society.

Advertisement