Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Average bodyfat percentage

• 03-04-2011 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering what the average bodyfat percentage of Irish adult males is. I realise this might be a hard question to answer, but I'm very curious about it.

I'm 15% at the moment and will certainly be 10% by the end of June (probably before).
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

That's pretty good I think. From what I've read (for men), obese is 25%+, overweight is 20% - 25%, good is 15% - 20%. Athletes are normally around 10%.

I know Frank Lampard had 8% and that was the lowest at Chelsea.

Women are usually about +5% on each of these (so obese is 30%+ for women etc).

I read that online (so it may be completely wrong!) but I didn't keep the link I'm afraid. There are some good sports nutrition books out there which cover this in some detail.

Good luck with your goal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Usually about 9%. So ya still got a bit of work to do to be better than average :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Hanley wrote: »
    Usually about 9%. So ya still got a bit of work to do to be better than average :)

9% average??

Where do you live again? I'm definitely moving.

G86 wrote: »
    9% average??

Where do you live again? I'm definitely moving.

Sarcasm land.You probably don't wanna live here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

Sorry for highjacking the tread but does anyone know a good spot to buy a body fat caliper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

sharky86 wrote: »
    Sorry for highjacking the tread but does anyone know a good spot to buy a body fat caliper?

Boots sell some pretty good tanita body fat monitors which give me the same results as when I get properly measured in the gym. Also VJs in Blanchardstown usually sell good fitness equipment, but I've not boought calipers there.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

I reckon i'm at least 8million % fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

This is the information I got from a fat loss program i'm currently following:

It is impossible for your BF% to drop to 0. Some fat “essential fat” is necessary and required for energy, storage, protection of organs, and insulation against heat loss. Essential fat is found in nerves, bone marrow, liver, heart etc…
    Essential body fat is at least 2-3% in men and 7-9% in women. Ultimately, personal improvement should be your goal, more than hitting a number. This will be up to you based on your goals but the numbers should not only be the main focus.
    Here’s some ideas that were given by a few different sources that helped me think about what might be right for me/you with regard to age, activity, who we are etc…The average woman has about 23% BF and the average man about 17%. A slight increase with age. The average 20 year old male college student has about 15% body fat or more..The average sedentary male has about 20% body fat or more. A body fat of 25% would place a female in the average category. BUT averages are not necessarily ideal according to another source. An ideal average for a non-athlete man is around 10-14% and 16-20% for women. Below is a good idea of where you will start to see some muscle definition with these different categories. Keep thinking about where you are now and where you want to be with regard to these while looking at who you are and your own history. I will say that sky is the limit on what is realistic for you to achieve but you have to be the one who really knows your body and where you want to go.

Extremely lean- is 3-6% men, 9-12% for women. May be lower?
    Very lean- < 9% in men and <15% in women.
    Lean - men 10-14% or 16-20% in women.
    Average (okay/healthy)- men 15-19% and 21-25% in women.
    Keep working hard at it -men 20%-25% and 26-30% in women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

woggie wrote: »
    the average man about 17%.
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Wonder what country that is, or if it is worldwide, 17% means the average man is "okay/healthy", while most reports say the level of obesity is high in many developed countries.
    this one saying in 2007 Ireland just over 60% are overweight and about 23% obese
    http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/23/the-world-is-fat/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

It's an american based website but I don't know what country the studies are based on.

I'm 5'2" and 128lbs which is well within my medical healthy range (104 - 137 lbs BMI 19-25), but my bf is 26% (according to my tanita scale) so i'm unhealthy - but to be honest I don't think anyone looking at me would think that i'm overweight/unhealthy etc ....don't anyone contradict me now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

rubadub wrote: »
    Wonder what country that is, or if it is worldwide, 17% means the average man is "okay/healthy", while most reports say the level of obesity is high in many developed countries.
    this one saying in 2007 Ireland just over 60% are overweight and about 23% obese
    http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/23/the-world-is-fat/

I think it means an average level of bodyfat for a man would be 17% (i.e. the average between very lean and obese). It's the regular, healthy range for men rather than the actualy bodyfat % of the average man (which would be higher).

Newaglish wrote: »
    It's the regular, healthy range for men rather than the actualy bodyfat % of the average man (which would be higher).
    Thats what I thought at first, but they went on to say "BUT averages are not necessarily ideal according to another source. An ideal average for a non-athlete man is around 10-14% and 16-20% for women."

I would ideed expect the average to be far above ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Make sure not to add too much muscle either - it'll play havoc with your BMI score.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

BF is very often underestimated IMO.

Good callipers are Harpenden iirc but these are a bit pricey although they do come in a lovely wooden box!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

The Guvnor wrote: »
    BF is very often underestimated IMO.

Good callipers are Harpenden iirc but these are a bit pricey although they do come in a lovely wooden box!:)

I want it :D Looks awesome compared to my plastic one :mad:

AHSB.jpg

£199.00 but they are afaik the industry standard.

This is the calibration kit you can buy to keep it calibrated!:)

Skincalkit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Menapians

woggie wrote: »

thats spot on for body fat % just remember thats a completely different to BMI. BMI scores are higher and BMI scors are useless if ur physically active which i'm guessing you are if your trying to get down to 10%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Lavattack

Ive no idea what mine is but Carl "The Jackal" Frampton has 2% body fat!!! I know thats incredibly low but my god what a boxer he is!!

Lavattack wrote: »
    Ive no idea what mine is but Carl "The Jackal" Frampton has 2% body fat!!! I know thats incredibly low but my god what a boxer he is!!

No he doesn't.

No he doesn't.

Actually he has.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZzTobo-V88

its 13 mins but just go to 10:25.

You can feel free to say sorry at any time!

• Advertisement

Actually he has.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZzTobo-V88

its 13 mins but just go to 10:25.

You can feel free to say sorry at any time!

I saw that when it was on TV, and laughed out loud to myself.

There is not a hope in a cold hell that he's 2% bodyfat. I've seen guys at 8% who are a hell of alot leaner than that. Sorry to disillusion you.

Are you just upset that you can't get your own body fat down with all your work outs and dieting is it?

The man is a professional athlete, his whole life is boxing. Work as hard as him and you might get yours down. Don't go around discrediting people's hard work!

Are you just upset that you can't get your own body fat down with all your work outs and dieting is it?

The man is a professional athlete, his whole life is boxing. Work as hard as him and you might get yours down. Don't go around discrediting people's hard work!

I simply stated you're wrong, which you are. Read up on it if you want to educate yourself on the matter, or don't, it's up to you. But there's no need for personal attacks.

I simply stated you're wrong, which you are. Read up on it if you want to educate yourself on the matter, or don't, it's up to you. But there's no need for personal attacks.

You go read up on it. Its you that is saying that he doesn't have 2% body fat. Prove me wrong.

You started the "personal attacks" when you said he doesn't. Who are you to decide what Carl's body fat is??

Prove to me that i'm wrong..... you can't just come along and say he doesn't like.

Prove to me that i'm wrong..... you can't just come along and say he doesn't like.

I think I just did, as did Hanley.

If you want proof then just look at the video. I'll leave it at that, I don't want to derail this thread further with nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

You go read up on it. Its you that is saying that he doesn't have 2% body fat. Prove me wrong.

You started the "personal attacks" when you said he doesn't. Who are you to decide what Carl's body fat is??

Okay, I have 1% bodyfat..... I've said it, does that make it true?

So, prove to me that i'm wrong..... you can't just come along and say I don't like.

I think I just did, as did Hanley.

If you want proof then just look at the video. I'll leave it at that, I don't want to derail this thread further with nonsense.

OK so if Hanley and G86 say something then thats it?? Ye are, and you in particular G86 are pathethic if you will discredit some-ones hard work and training and dieting and then not back it up.

If you say on your blog you have 10% body fat say after 6 months training and dieting and some-one come along and says you don't you ask ask them to prove it. Enlighten me properly as to why Carl doesn't have 2% body fat.

Ya sorry OP btw lol but it really pisses me off things and people like this.

brianblaze wrote: »
    Okay, I have 1% bodyfat..... I've said it, does that make it true?

So, prove to me that i'm wrong..... you can't just come along and say I don't like.

Not sure you meant to but you just validated my point. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

OK so if Hanley and G86 say something then thats it?? Ye are, and you in particular G86 are pathethic if you will discredit some-ones hard work and training and dieting and then not back it up.
    Where did anyone discredit his training? They said he wasn't 2%, he is prob high single digits, does that mean he isn't in shape or hasn't trianed hard. of course not.
    He is in great shape, but he isn't 2%.
    2% bodyfat just doesn't happen in reality. People that claim those this are lying. Also, Frampton necer claimed that, Barry did.
    If you say on your blog you have 10% body fat say after 6 months training and dieting and some-one come along and says you don't you ask ask them to prove it. Enlighten me properly as to why Carl doesn't have 2% body fat.
    Boxing+at+York+Hall+FTr0sCLbf4El.jpg

That isn't 2%, it jsut isn't. He's a great athlete, and his trainign and ability has nothing to do with being 2% or not.

Google some pics of bodybuilders at competitinos, these guys are way way way leaner than that and they are 3-5%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Menapians

well i agree he hasnt got 2% body fat the reason the minimum body fat a male can have is about 3% this is because theres essential fat around the organs muscles bones etc that the body has to have just to survive. id say its whatever way they measured it that they came up with that figure. some method dont have a way of measuring this essential fat. A dexa scan however does its the "gold standard" for body fat measurement. one thing is for sure they didnt use a dexa scan id say hes about 4% on a dexa scan

Why on earth would a boxer want his bodyfat % lower than say 8%?

They are not judged on their appearance and some fat around their waist helps them absorb body shots, minimising the damage.

Whenever you see a super-lean boxer, it's usually because they have been starving themselves trying to make weight for a weight class that they would be naturally too big for.

If Carl Frampton is at 2%, that must put bodybuilders on competition day at 0.02%.....

Ya sorry OP btw lol but it really pisses me off things and people like this.

In the many ignorant posts that pop up on boards weekly, you've just topped the pile. You display a basic lack of any understanding in relation to training so any further debate's pointless.

He's not 2% bodyfat, he's probably closer to 8 or 9% is we're going to judge it on what people believe to be X bodyfat% by looking at him. In truth, he could be either again.

But at the end of the day, I very much doubt it matters to him. He's not judged on what he looks like. Having too low a bf% in boxing, or any other contact sport is a stupid idea anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Lavattack enough with the personal attacks on other posters, totally uncalled for.

IMO nobody really gets much lower than 5%.

I do accept that if someone was doing a three site bodyfat test you can to some extent fake the result for example:

Use the thigh, bicep and pec instead of tricep, lat and oblique.

I think they can measure a guy at 2% or 3% etc but that does not mean he is actually 2 or 3%.

The 7 site method is more accurate but none of these are foolproof.

In any case it really does not matter - boxers need to be able to box and be fit and 2% would not help his cause imo.

Bodybuilders need to look good - no point coming 2nd/3rd and telling everyone you were 3% BF etc.

I remember once being tested at 7% - not a chance but I did tense my tricep a bit when he was measuring!:)

IMO it's just a number until your tested and test higher than expected and then you profess the test to be BS!:D

Enlighten me properly as to why Carl doesn't have 2% body fat.
    Because he is alive!
    Mellor wrote: »
    2% bodyfat just doesn't happen in reality. People that claim those this are lying.
    I don't think they are all lying, I expect most are just reiterating the incorrect information they were told. In a documentary on Stallone he said he was 2 point something % BF for rocky 2 or rocky 3, I have no doubt he was not this low but think he was just retelling what he was told and did not realise it was obviously wrong.

With the same mm measurements using 2 different formulas I think I got 12% and 18%, so I expect some oddball formula might say you are 2% when you are 7%. -now if you like to think you have low BF% this flawed formula might be attractive to you, just like the issue of vanity sizing in womens clothing -where a manufacturer might knowingly falsely label jeans as size 8 instead of size 10 so the woman might go for that brand, so she can think "great, I'm a size 8 now. these levi's are my new brand".

Look at the educogym results, they are nonsense so obviously they have some crazy formula, a person loses 2lb in a fortnight and they make ridiculous claims like you lost 12lb of fat and gained 10lb of muscle in 2 weeks. People see a fancy formula and think its an exact science, just like food calories -but they are far from an exact science.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Because he is alive!

I don't think they are all lying, I expect most are just reiterating the incorrect information they were told. In a documentary on Stallone he said he was 2 point something % BF for rocky 2 or rocky 3, I have no doubt he was not this low but think he was just retelling what he was told and did not realise it was obviously wrong.

+1.

If someone has had their bodyfat measured incorrectly, then they're going to judge other peoples physiques by those standards. So for example, if Lavattack has been told his bodyfat is sub 10% and he's not very lean, then he's obviously going to believe that someone alot leaner could be 2%. Sure I was once told my bodyfat was 14%, when in reality I'd have been lean as hell at that, which I wasn't. So obviously it skewed my reference point.

I also know someone who was told his bodyfat was 4% at one stage, and when he got measured correctly it turned out to be more along the lines of 6/7%. He was still incredibly lean, you could literally see every muscle, and I can't imagine how he could have gotten any leaner without looking and being very very ill, hence why I can't imagine anyone being at 2%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Who, this guy??

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Seriously mate I could post one picture of myself that would blow your whole bull**** 2% bodyfat argument outta the water. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

This is nowhere near 2%...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7PDILmQsC7kPClXCDx2pCFzzf0o7SEiPH8DZmad_9YKJEdAES5Q&t=1

THAT is a low bf percentage, and he's probably around 4-5% there, at best... Just admit your wrong, so we can all just move on here, and I can continue lurking.... LURKING.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Everyone in this topic is wrong pretty much.

Frampton is about 5% I'd say.

Posting pics of bodybuilders is wrong because it's not just low bodyfat that makes them look ripped onstage.

It's amazing what people will believe.

• Advertisement

brianblaze wrote: »

THAT is a low bf percentage, and he's probably around 4-5% there, at best... Just admit your wrong, so we can all just move on here, and I can continue lurking.... LURKING.....

Not the pic I expected you to use as a reference point:p Lurking indeed....

Everyone in this topic is wrong pretty much.

Frampton is about 5% I'd say.

Posting pics of bodybuilders is wrong because it's not just low bodyfat that makes them look ripped onstage.

It's amazing what people will believe.

In fairness, most posters agreed he couldn't possibly be 2%. Out of interest though, what would Grant's BF be at it's lowest?

Not the pic I expected you to use as a reference point:p Lurking indeed....

In fairness, most posters agreed he couldn't possibly be 2%. Out of interest though, what would Grant's BF be at it's lowest?

Before his last fight he was in the region of 9% but he fought at bantam not his preferred weight of flyweight so he was a little fatter. Anesh is leaner actually he's around 65mm before he fights at 70kgs. Amanda is extremely lean actually, for a girl I mean. Must get her tested soon.

See I think ye are all sad that ye will say he isnt for reasons such as " I dont think its possible" and "I dont think he could be" and "I knew a guy with 5% body fat" etc.

Comparing him to a bodybuilder is laughable. If ye had any note in yer heads ye would know that bodyfat isn't the most significant thing that makes bodybuilders appear as they do.

Some-one said its impossible, well a few said it actually.... ye are wrong!! It is possible, albeit somewhat dangerous in certain situations.

Ye have all posted the same rubbish over and over. Only one post makes any sense since my last one.

I am not wrong and I know it. And if ye can all tell some-one's bodt fat by looking at a phote ye are all truly amazing people indeed.

if ye can all tell some-one's bodt fat by looking at a phote ye are all truly amazing people indeed.

Didn't you just do that by looking at a video?

I could go on TV and say I'm 2% BF, it doesn't make it true.

And if ye can all tell some-one's bodt fat by looking at a phote ye are all truly amazing people indeed.

Ok, I'll bite - Presuming you're not simply accepting what you have read as absolute Gospel, how can you tell that his bodyfat is at the 2% you claim?

It's called knowledge and experience. I can estimate pretty well actually. I've never been too far wrong. But hey, this was on Tubridy so what do I know?

On another point, asking someone if "they had a note in their heads" is asking them if they can sing, hold a tune etc, not questioning their knowledge. But that aside, low bodyfat is what makes a bodybuilder look like they do, alongside water cutting, tan, and big muscles.

Didn't you just do that by looking at a video?

I could go on TV and say I'm 2% BF, it doesn't make it true.

No I used a video to prove to you that I'm correct. You have no idea where I get my information from. At least I can get a video of some-one verifying what I deem to be correct. Rest of ye may aswell be copy and pasting cos its the same rubbish over and over

I saw a video of Uri Geller telling the world he could influence the result of football matches.

No I used a video to prove to you that I'm correct. You have no idea where I get my information from. At least I can get a video of some-one verifying what I deem to be correct. Rest of ye may aswell be copy and pasting cos its the same rubbish over and over

Didn't you just copy and paste that video? So you want us to give you information sources to contest your unsupported viewpoint, yet you won't do the same?

That poster above, Barry Oglesby, has been training MMA fighters for years, so he's obviously going to be accurate in his estimation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Here are some images of bodybuilders at various bodyfat levels. The bottom chap looks ghastly at 3%.

• Advertisement
Advertisement