Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Outdoor Group

Options
  • 03-04-2011 6:35pm
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭


    Hi everyone, after posting my last thread. Were gonna try and get an outdoor group together that does orienteering, rock climbing, etc. We can include other activities if new members want them to be included. The main aspects of the group is, it will be a social, relaxed type group. Do u want to join? Do u have any comments?


«13

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55


    ya id be interested in joining alright

    sounds good


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BigUrn


    Hi posted on the other thread, would be interested but costs are a factor for me, i am a student. Perhaps arrange a meet up night and take it from there?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Theo_Paphitis


    We can do most of this on a budget. The more people that join and help organise this the cheaper it will be for everyone.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87


    What would be the costs involved. Would you need insurance? If it started off a low scale thing. The chat thing would be a good idea before anything else.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Theo_Paphitis


    Don't think we would need insurance. Don't think we need to register this with the CRO as an entity. If we end up registering with the CRO, need insurance, etc, the costs will be considerable. What is your opinion?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55


    suppose it all depends what your doing
    ya wudn need insurance oh a hike or anything
    and if its somethong your paying to do ie paint balling etc
    they have the insurance
    the only instance where ya might need insurance is
    if someone in the group was lets say an un self defence instructor and wanted to teach self defense for the laugh
    then ya would


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,938 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie


    Count me in for this. In relation to costs, I think this is a perfect group for people who are a bit short of cash in these times as most of the activities are based around the enjoyment of the outdoors, which is free.

    My personal favourite activity is camping, but I'd be willing to try most things once the summer kicks in.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87


    So really, there would be feck all else other than the fees for whatever we doing, or bus money if we go on a trip etc?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Theo_Paphitis


    Dusty87 wrote: »
    So really, there would be feck all else other than the fees for whatever we doing, or bus money if we go on a trip etc?

    Yeah I think so. Let's do this on a budget. Is everyone else in agreement?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55


    a sure a bit of a laugh isnt it ive met dusty before from here
    sound skin

    the kinitty mountains is a nice spot for a hike to


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BigUrn


    hey, would be up for this also, studying at present, so may not be into it until the summer but if you have a meet up to organise/discuss i will be there. also it seems from names etc you are all guys, perhaps a few females could be roped in?? I am a lady despite my username - all in good hommage to Bill Murray.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Theo_Paphitis


    BigUrn wrote: »
    hey, would be up for this also, studying at present, so may not be into it until the summer but if you have a meet up to organise/discuss i will be there. also it seems from names etc you are all guys, perhaps a few females could be roped in?? I am a lady despite my username - all in good hommage to Bill Murray.

    Yeah I agree, if you know any other girls that would be up for joining let them know.

    I'm gonna write a press release for this, hopefully the tribune, Offaly express and Offaly independent print it!

    This is what I have done so far, feedback would be appreciated!

    The Great Outdoors.

    Do you want to spend some time in the great outdoors this summer? A number of people are hoping to start a group that would orienteer, rock climb, fish, paint ball, etc. Bacisally any fun adventure sport that you can think of. This is going to be a social group and not for profit. Therefore it won't cost you a lot to get involved!! If you are interested in joining or want to find out more please contact ..........

    What do ye think?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87


    My girlfriend wil do it too, so you wont be the only one bigurn:) she in collage for the next couple of weeks too.


  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha


    Hey guys, I would be interested in getting involved in something like this. I keep saying the last few years that I was going to take up doing a few outdoor activities. I'm only over in Laois so I would'nt have too much of a trek to get over there.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87


    Yeah I agree, if you know any other girls that would be up for joining let them know.

    I'm gonna write a press release for this, hopefully the tribune, Offaly express and Offaly independent print it!

    This is what I have done so far, feedback would be appreciated!

    The Great Outdoors.

    Do you want to spend some time in the great outdoors this summer? A number of people are hoping to start a group that would orienteer, rock climb, fish, paint ball, etc. Bacisally any fun adventure sport that you can think of. This is going to be a social group and not for profit. Therefore it won't cost you a lot to get involved!! If you are interested in joining or want to find out more please contact ..........

    What do ye think?

    yea that sounds alright. Maybe somethin about not needin to be fit or much experience, as its for fun. Maybe not, i dont know. I know myself and daithi would be experienced with the outdoors so you could say somethin about beginners welcome maybe. But if im diving too much into, say. Its sound grand as it is anyway


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BigUrn


    Thats great, i do a course in the VEC in Tullamore and also do volunteer work in the St Josephs school, im sure Ben Scally would put up an aul sign if i asked him nicely too, so if you want when you do the poster etc you can mail me with it (pm me for details) and i will put it up in these three places and it might get cover. Im not sure if the board in the bridge centre charges for a poster as well. I can ask though. Theres one in the library as well just in the door. A facebook page perhaps might also be an idea, just friend a few things in Tullamore and you might get more interest. I'd say an email set up for it is the way to go for arrangements less hassle and use of a phone. Just a few ideas there.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Theo_Paphitis


    dagdha wrote: »
    Hey guys, I would be interested in getting involved in something like this. I keep saying the last few years that I was going to take up doing a few outdoor activities. I'm only over in Laois so I would'nt have too much of a trek to get over there.

    Welcome on board


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Theo_Paphitis


    BigUrn wrote: »
    Thats great, i do a course in the VEC in Tullamore and also do volunteer work in the St Josephs school, im sure Ben Scally would put up an aul sign if i asked him nicely too, so if you want when you do the poster etc you can mail me with it (pm me for details) and i will put it up in these three places and it might get cover. Im not sure if the board in the bridge centre charges for a poster as well. I can ask though. Theres one in the library as well just in the door. A facebook page perhaps might also be an idea, just friend a few things in Tullamore and you might get more interest. I'd say an email set up for it is the way to go for arrangements less hassle and use of a phone. Just a few ideas there.

    Thanks for the ideas. Will ya be able to give us a hand?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Theo_Paphitis


    Dusty87 wrote: »
    yea that sounds alright. Maybe somethin about not needin to be fit or much experience, as its for fun. Maybe not, i dont know. I know myself and daithi would be experienced with the outdoors so you could say somethin about beginners welcome maybe. But if im diving too much into, say. Its sound grand as it is anyway

    Good point, will include "don't need to be fit, as it's for fun and beginners welcome. Thanks for the PM will take you up on the "offer of help".


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87


    I think the board in the bridge centre is free. I know someone who put a sign on it and just walked up and pinned it. No worries:)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55


    BigUrn wrote: »
    hey, would be up for this also, studying at present, so may not be into it until the summer but if you have a meet up to organise/discuss i will be there. also it seems from names etc you are all guys, perhaps a few females could be roped in?? I am a lady despite my username - all in good hommage to Bill Murray.

    my missus will be up for it to but she wont be around much this summer
    from may to the end of august

    and i can stick up a few posters in birr if ye like


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Theo_Paphitis


    So at this stage, we have about 6 or 7 people wanting to join. Do ye all wanna meet up and discuss what were gonna do next? If so, when suits?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55


    i dont mind when we meet
    if im busy il let ya no but once its evening i should be fine
    also where are we meeting wheres most central for people i live five minutes on the tipp side of birr


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87


    Im a durrow man but living in cloneygowan at the moment. Get a central place i say.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Theo_Paphitis


    I live in tullamore, evenings suit me also.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BigUrn


    alot on this week, so next sun or mon eve would suit me best.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Theo_Paphitis


    BigUrn wrote: »
    alot on this week, so next sun or mon eve would suit me best.

    Where r u based?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BigUrn


    Tullamore town also


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Theo_Paphitis


    Thanks to BigUrn we have an email greatoutdoorstullamore@gmail.com .
    Would Tullamore be a central location? Sunday 8pm suit everyone?


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BigUrn


    I'd be up for that, any location ideas in Tullamore?


Advertisement