Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos taken on your cycle.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

A couple from Grassamucky yesterday;

264805.jpg

Looking back there seems to have been an easier way up than the way I came.

264806.jpg

Not so many easy options for the next bit.

264808.jpg

Sun up in Kilmashogue woods this morning

264807.jpg

Pinhead!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Nice spin in the sunshine on the back road to Ax les Thermes
    IMAG0470.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DaveR1000

Taken at the Cut a few weeks back on a 30 degree day - god i miss the heat.

IMAG0037_zps5570ec4e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

@ideleater - i was literally just looking at the pics from last year thinking I will have to do that trip again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

View from Howth back towards the Marine and Clontarf at sunset tonight, taken on my five year old phone, so excuse the quality.

264959.jpg

264961.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Was out in Howth last night and cursed the fact that I didn't have a camera with me. It was a stunning sunset. Maybe it's time I bought a smart phone!

Some photos from last week's Hospice Foundation Atlantic to Med cycle:

6ZakPK.jpg
    A few k west of Bayonne

7ZkmHi.jpg
    The last few k on the east side of the Tourmalet

4BRyDZ.jpg
    It's the man not the bike that counts!

5Rhkpz.jpg
    Trying out the west side

74VVDc.jpg
    A cooler misty day (thankfully)

56umrM.jpg
    By the Canal du Midi

4DsQvU.jpg
    Between Narbonne Plage and Narbonne

Some photos from last week's Hospice Foundation Atlantic to cycle

Great stuff, what was the route? Portet d'aspet is a beautiful climb actually. Did it last year, but just not close enough this year.

This was the tougher route devised by the sadists in Cycling Safaris but there were some (slightly) easier options as well some days. The original intention was to tackle Tourmalet from the west but following the floods we went up and down from the east. The Pyrenees are really stunning and well worth a visit as you know. The Hospice cycle may be heading in that general direction again next year so keep an eye out for it.

5LbQKW.jpg

Nice route, the heat makes it all the more difficult, though that's a nice complaint to have.
    Well done to all who took part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

What a great idea to built cycle lanes on the old railway tracks, which are now removed. These tracks go through some lovely, wild places and what a pleasure it would be to to cycle through these areas...

9414980160_f66c073468_c.jpg

9414982042_4606942e0a_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

Can't compete with most of you guys on the quality of the photo, but I had a very enjoyable ride on a beautiful rental tandem (first time for me), somewhere in Provence. The machine was absolutely gorgeous, and so was the ride.

It's been pretty active holidays, cycling-wise. I also did my first ascent of the Ventoux (on the 14th of July, before the arrival of the Tour de France stage), unfortunately, no photo (and no video either, had my helmet cam, but ran out of storage). But how amazing it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

enas wrote: »
    The machine was absolutely gorgeous, and so was the ride.

Any pictures of the ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

Was out in Howth last night and cursed the fact that I didn't have a camera with me. It was a stunning sunset. Maybe it's time I bought a smart phone!

I don't have a smartphone, my current phone won a Phone of the Year award in 2006. :D

Any pictures of the ride?

Not many unfortunately (and I appear on most of them, and I'm unfortunately too shy to post those).

To compensate, here's a nice still from one of the few films I got from the Ventoux. I like how the fish eye effect and the inclination of my head exacerbates the impression of the slope. Although, if you compare with the horizon line, it still looks pretty steep, which it surely was in the last few kilometres.

OK, I got caught in the game. Here's me reaching the 2km mark, with the summit in sight. Probably the toughest 2km. Sorry again for the quality, as they're stills from the video.

What's funny in the clip I took it from, is to see how much people seem to suffer and struggle at that stage, making you think that you have to be mad to be doing that, at which point you remember that you were one of them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,982 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Seweryn wrote: »
    What a great idea to built cycle lanes on the old railway tracks, which are now removed. These tracks go through some lovely, wild places and what a pleasure it would be to to cycle through these areas..
    I did one in the US recently. It was 75kms long (to a dead end) so a 150km round trip. It was flat and fully paved and the first hour or so was a novelty but it then became exceedingly tedious and boring. The fact that I only encountered 3 or 4 others in the 150kms didn't help either. It made me long for traffic, pedestrians and busy junctions!

Here's one of me being eaten by a cow on Col d'Aspin recently ......
    Holiday086_zps71a19644.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

Lots of people get injured by cattle in the Pyrénées each year. Mostly it's people who try to pet a calf. A hiker was killed by a cow on Col d'Azet a few days ago.

Much more dangerous than the wolves and bears.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Nice scenery in the park in town. Pleasure to cycle through :).

9415956228_0e62e47635_z.jpg

9413186185_8827e2e3ca_z.jpg

9415960736_00d0520f71_z.jpg

9413180293_6f0d4d144e_z.jpg

• Advertisement

Lots of people get injured by cattle in the Pyrénées each year. Mostly it's people who try to pet a calf. A hiker was killed by a cow on Col d'Azet a few days ago.

Much more dangerous than the wolves and bears.

Bloody hell! I didn't realise they were dangerous. I was covered in salt so probably tasted pretty good. I was just posing for a photo when a tongue the size of a small car wrapped itself around my arm. Next thing I knew my whole forearm was in it's mouth. I started getting a bit nervous at that stage. Are there really bears and wolves too?

Bloody hell! I didn't realise they were dangerous. I was covered in salt so probably tasted pretty good. I was just posing for a photo when a tongue the size of a small car wrapped itself around my arm. Next thing I knew my whole forearm was in it's mouth. I started getting a bit nervous at that stage. Are there really bears and wolves too?

The one in the photo is a Blonde d'Aquitaine, they are usually docile but a cow with a calf can still be dangerous. The Bérnaise which is grey in colour is more aggressive and does not like to be handled. There was a Dutch tourist knocked unconscious on Col d'Aspin a few months ago by a Blonde d'Aquitaine cow after trying to pet her calf.

There is a small and growing population of wolves and bears. It's over century since the last fatal attack on humans. This photo is up the road a few km from my house. It's the track of a bear crossing the road not too long before. Looks like it was following some hikers.

9054240573_4f887e8e9a_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Laundry_Hamper

This photo is up the road a few km from my house. It's the track of a bear crossing the road not too long before. Looks like it was following some hikers.

Spooky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

No need to worry Paul. You don't need to outrun the bear, you only need to outrun the others in your group.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

sorry just as a side note i painted a farmers house one time i asked him about camping in a field with cows he said if there were calfs forget it the cows would stamp you into the ground. so be warned.:eek:

7fDhL6_thumb.jpg

The guy in the picture was doing the raid pyrenees, good aul day 4 to prades. Certainly not taking the easy option like we did :O . He was asking me about what the col du jou and any other prospective hills were like. Obviously I said they were fine, it was basically downhill from here.
    Temperature got to 38.x in the shade and I saw 45.x in the sun while climbing in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

The one in the photo is a Blonde d'Aquitaine, they are usually docile but a cow with a calf can still be dangerous. The Bérnaise which is grey in colour is more aggressive and does not like to be handled. There was a Dutch tourist knocked unconscious on Col d'Aspin a few months ago by a Blonde d'Aquitaine cow after trying to pet her calf.

the Blonde d'Aquitaine, a skinny cow but apparently one of the tastiest you can find around Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

its not like we don't owe them a nibble or two!!

lg123 wrote: »
    the Blonde d'Aquitaine, a skinny cow but apparently one of the tastiest you can find around Europe.

They are a beautiful animal on the mountain and on the plate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The Boyne at Ardbraccan this morning....

996886_10151730866527086_2058076222_n.jpg

Advertisement