Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos taken on your cycle.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

Great fun but tough to keep the pedals going.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is that the steps down to the furry glen in the phoenix park?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

is that the steps down to the furry glen in the phoenix park?

Sure is. Pedal up the path a metre or two to the right and then down the stairs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

On the way home from work and taking advantage of a lovely late afternoon so I took a spin up to Ben Head (Howth summit).

445006.jpg

First island in the background is Eye's Eye (uninhabited) and further back is Lambay Island, not sure of the population but a little unknown info is that Lambay Island has a thriving community of wild Wallaby's!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Is Ben head the official name of the summit? Hill head?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delynet

Loch Na Fooey

445045.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

445006.jpg

First island in the background is Ireland's Eye

For those cyclists that also like to swim and run (ahem) Howth Tri Club organise a 1.9k swim from the Eye back to Howth; great fun - the currents can be ...interesting.
    Link

I think its actually 'Ben of Howth'.

cjt156 wrote: »
    For those cyclists that also like to swim and run (ahem) Howth Tri Club organise a 1.9k swim from the Eye back to Howth; great fun - the currents can be ...interesting.
    Link

I've seen that, but I've never done an open water swim before. I usually swim 1km in the pool after 45 minutes on the treadmill and could manage 2km but not a chance I'd try that in open water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I saw puffins on Ireland's Eye last June. There's one just outside its burrow in the centre of this picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,041 ✭✭✭✭neris

On the way home from work and taking advantage of a lovely late afternoon so I took a spin up to Ben Head (Howth summit).

445006.jpg

First island in the background is Eye's Eye (uninhabited) and further back is Lambay Island, not sure of the population but a little unknown info is that Lambay Island has a thriving community of wild Wallaby's!

There were kangaroos there to but they died off from the weather and still a decent deer population out there.

neris wrote: »
    There were kangaroos there to but they died off from the weather and still a decent deer population out there.

From recent reading the wallaby's are still living and breeding there.

Someone mentioned Puffins on Ireland's Eye. You don't have to make that trek and sea voyage (all 1.9km lol). If you're cycling Howth take a right at the Summit shop and venture down the hill to the sign for the Baily, it says its a private road but its grand nothing is ever said.

Go down to the bottom by the Bailey gates, take your bino's a 100mtrs up to the left and you'll see puffins and all manner of birds nest and fishing from the cliffs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

As far as I know, Ben Head is at Gormanston, Co. Meath, near the Army firing range.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

and further back is Lambay Island, not sure of the population ...
    2 people.

(It's the smallest division in the Dublin area electoral register).

2 people.

(It's the smallest division in the Dublin area electoral register).

7 in 2017 according to Wiki, obviously they're breeding like rabbits lol.

I've been on Ireland's Eye a number of times but never Lambay, landing is by appointment I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. but never Lambay, landing is by appointment I believe.
    Yes, it's privately owned.

I doubt that there are 7 people living full time there. The housekeeper and farm manager are the only two that I'm aware of. The others may be casual labourers.

Yes, it's privately owned.

I doubt that there are 7 people living full time there. The housekeeper and farm manager are the only two that I'm aware of. The others may be casual labourers.

Well the less the better imo.

When I look over at it I wonder about its wildlife, I'd hate to think of the damage humans would do it it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I've been on Ireland's Eye a number of times but never Lambay, landing is by appointment I believe.

There are regular (weather dependant) walking tours of Lambay, details at http://www.skerriesseatours.ie/trips.html

The Baring Family also have this website http://www.lambayisland.ie/daytrips where you can book private tours.

Well the less the better imo.

When I look over at it I wonder about its wildlife, I'd hate to think of the damage humans would do it it.

Damage such as the introduction of non-native species 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 20,041 ✭✭✭✭neris

Out there 2 years ago on a day trip. Crap place for a cycle (not cycle photos but proof they exist)

DSCF9217.jpg

20160904_123435.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I honestly thought the wallaby post was a p1sstake!

http://www.thejournal.ie/wallabies-lambay-island-2-3516673-Jul2017/

How does one get out to Lambay? Obviously a boat but I feel like I should have a nosey there later this year with partner and wee one.

How does one get out to Lambay

http://www.skerriesseatours.ie/trips.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I read somewhere that Howth is derived from Hofed, the Danish/Norse word for head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

JQdhYn1l.jpg

Slievemaan still not passable on a road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm sure Alek will try it anyways ^

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Towards top of stocking Lane this morning.
    2qk5xd1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

A bit of snow around in Meath too

26883191838_effc2960b9_c.jpgwinter riders 1

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭thedudeinthehat

Riding the Hills and Valleys of the Spessart National Park near Aschaffenburg in Bavaria

attachment.php?attachmentid=445444

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

445465.JPG
    Bottle tower at lunch today

Advertisement