Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

endacl wrote: »
    They paid €300 for those two bikes?

Innocent, me hole...

well said. We focus a lot on the thieves but there are plenty of just as guilty cyclists who buy these stolen bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

If you see someone on your stolen bike? How do you go about getting it back. Do you need to stop them, ring the gardai, wait for them to agree that it's your bike? Or how does it work?
    I'm still dreaming of the day I see some little scrote on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

sebcity wrote: »
    If you see someone on your stolen bike? How do you go about getting it back. Do you need to stop them, ring the gardai, wait for them to agree that it's your bike? Or how does it work?

A clothes line will work for me if someone passes on my stolen bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Pinch Flat wrote: »

Yeah that'll work. It mightn't necessarily mean they stole it though.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,891 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Cut out this crap, now

Any questions, PM me - do not respond in-thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

sebcity wrote: »
    just be careful that the bike is actually yours & you dont nail the wrong person!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

Bloggsie wrote: »
    just be careful that the bike is actually yours & you dont nail the wrong person!

Or they did not buy it at a Garda auction..........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Ok so apologies for the over-reaction. I'm still smarting from having a bike nicked from under my nose. And seeing the all too regular posts here and on Facebook is an indication of what a huge problem it is with sometimes multiples of people's prides and joy they've worked for been whipped by some scrote.

So maybe if they can cut out / regulate the supply it might go some way to addressing if not totally solving the problem. People buying bikes from dodgy sources are just as guilty as those nicking them to feed the supply. Worked well for other industries with rampant theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

So maybe if they can cut out / regulate the supply it might go some way to addressing if not totally solving the problem. People buying bikes from dodgy sources are just as guilty as those nicking them to feed the supply. Worked well for other industries with rampant theft.

A major problem faced by the authorities is that people cannot provide details that prove they owned their bikes before they was stolen (Serial number, photo, etc).

This completely hamstrings the Gardai who cannot prosecute suspected stolen-bike sellers - it's a very low-risk crime and will continue until some sort of registration system is put in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Mec-a-nic wrote: »
    A major problem faced by the authorities is that people cannot provide details that prove they owned their bikes before they was stolen (Serial number, photo, etc).

This completely hamstrings the Gardai who cannot prosecute suspected stolen-bike sellers - it's a very low-risk crime and will continue until some sort of registration system is put in place.

Registration system is certainly needed; for a start, bike shops could keep the frame number of every bike they sell, listed against the buyer's name and address and phone number.
    Galway K9 wrote: »
    Guys,

Just wanna give an update on places bikes are being sold. We are well
    aware of adverts and donedeal however, facebook has now the Groups that are Buy and Sell within your county and Jumble sales. These places have been hot with stolen goods and its obvious they're stolen. Please do join the groups and have a look oiut for your own and others bikes if you can.

Can anyone tell me how you search an individual Facebook site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

we all have cameras on our phones so take loads of photos of your bike from every possible angle and its serial numbers and same on internet somewhere. Really no excuse for anyone not to do this.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    we all have cameras on our phones so take loads of photos of your bike from every possible angle and its serial numbers and same on internet somewhere. Really no excuse for anyone not to do this.

We all do, but most all don't.

A crackdown on receivers of stolen bikes and exporters ditto would be a big disincentive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Mec-a-nic wrote: »

Sometimes things can get over complicated stick a note or a race/sportive number that can be traced back to you up inside the handle bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

The garda twitter account just posted this

https://twitter.com/gardainfo/status/623124050416693248

• Registered Users Posts: 17,909 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Saw that someone had cut the bike racks at Kiliney Dart station to get at the bikes again at the weekend, the shiny metallic type that are used around Dublin:

UaYMC6m.jpg?1

Tbh looking at the metal you'd get through it with a pound shop hacksaw so the only shocking thing is that its not more common. These have been installed across the country and they are completely useless. One cut and the metal is so thin and soft you can bend it out of the way by hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Thargor wrote: »
    Tbh looking at the metal you'd get through it with a pound shop hacksaw ...

Those hoops are officially called 'Sheffield Stands' and are usually 3mm wall stainless steel pipe that's not easy to cut unless one has power tools.

Did LUAS skimp on the spec of these, or are thieves working to the assumption that cyclists don't check stands, poles, etc when locking their bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,909 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It was Kiliney DART station I just used the first pic I found on google to illustrate the ones I was talking about. I seriously doubt this was 3mm to a wall on the one I saw anyway more like 1-1.5...

Interesting piece in the Indo

http://www.independent.ie/life/city-cycling/japanesestyle-multistorey-bicycle-parking-planned-for-dublin-within-the-next-four-years-31385104.html

High-rise Japanese-style bike parking planned for Dublin, but also…
    Over the last 10 years, bike theft has increased by 227 per cent. Around 6,750 bicycles were reported stolen last year.
    For the first time in Dublin city, a coordinated multi-agency think tank is working to tackle bike theft.
    Dublin Cycling Campaign, gardai, Dublin City Council, the National Transport Authority, and trade websites, are exchanging ideas on how to reduce bicycle crime.

and also, a sensible move I think,
    “First of all, a small change that would make a difference would be if we could record the details of every bicycle frame number. We would encourage bike shops to record the bike details of new owners for a start.”

According to the piece, 20,000 bicycles were stolen last year (gawp) in Dublin.

Someone found a bike outside the Conservative Club (?) in Dublin and brought it home because it wasn't locked (?)

Is it yours?

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/07/24/not-a-bog-standard-machine/#comments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

exchanging ideas on how to reduce bicycle crime.

I think they could make a different law, or openly say they will enforce the law differently for bikes. i.e. if you rob an item worth €500 I expect there is an average sentence/punishment given, and I expect there is a maximum, so either make it known the max will always be done, or increase the max. There is probably no need to change actual laws, just let it be known the book will be thrown at them.

The stories of gardai bait bikes are ridiculous. They put a bike out and 1 or 2 gardai have to sit about all day monitoring it, then when caught in the act the guy gets off lightly as he did not actually 100% rob it.

In the US they have GPS tracking in the bait bikes. Just get a load of unclaimed bikes going to garda auction and put GPS in them and leave them out. This way they are a good mixture and not identificable as suspect bait bikes. Now let them rob it, there is no question of them "checking it out" or whatever excuse they use. And it could be tracked to a larger haul or container full of bikes. Gardai no longer have to wait all day wasting resources.

I am actually surprised there are not more stories of vigilante beatings of bike thieves. Instead of Batman we need Bikeman, u-locking thieves necks to posts breaking bad style
    I896S3e__400x400.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Lads, navy blue creme doppio fixie stolen from the top of o connell st dublin. Very rare and distinct bike. Brown handlebar tape and brown san marco saddle. Right pedal broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭griffin100

Stolen from a locked garage in Carlow (just outside Tullow) earlier today:
    I have the serial numbers.

B@stards forced roller door in garage to get to bikes. Took these two bikes plus a Taxc turbo trainer. According to Guards they are targeting 'expensive' bike owners in the South East. They didn't take the kids bikes thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Folks please keep an eye out. Stolen from my house last night. Will be lost without it

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Trig1 wrote: »
    Folks please keep an eye out. Stolen from my house last night. Will be lost without it

Spotted this on done deal just now

In limerick asking €600. don't no how to post the link on my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

There you go: http://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/bike/10028246?offset=4

Make a screenshot + save the page and off to Garda!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Alek wrote: »
    There you go: http://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/bike/10028246?offset=4

Make a screenshot + save the page and off to Garda!

I understand, that this bike has been recovered and that arrests were made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

?

Advertisement