Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

It's not unusual for the Gardaí to run sting operations, I'm trying to get the Garda who took my report and see what the story is with this. Happy to use my good bike as bait to flush out this scum bag. I get the impression though that it's not high on the priority lists with gangland carry-on, drug busts etc. which is fair enough

Interesting story here about a Garda sting.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/09/20/we-dont-normally-do-this-17/

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ljojojo

Hi, my new Pashley Princess Sovereign (in green) was stolen last night from DCU about 10.45 pm. A guy approx 40's was seen walking it out the ballymun road entrance as the back wheel was still demobilised. I've attached a picture below. If anyone has seen it please contact me, I'd really appreciate it. This bike is unusual in this area and even stranger for a man to be seen out with.

It's a really old-fashioned style bike with a large (removable) wicker basket on the front.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

ljojojo wrote: »
    Hi, my new Pashley Princess Sovereign (in green) was stolen last night from DCU about 10.45 pm. A guy approx 40's was seen walking it out the ballymun road entrance as the back wheel was still demobilised. I've attached a picture below. If anyone has seen it please contact me, I'd really appreciate it. This bike is unusual in this area and even stranger for a man to be seen out with.

It's a really old-fashioned style bike with a large (removable) wicker basket on the front.

Thanks!

It looks a bit like my own beach cruiser, I am gutted for you :(

Will keep an eye out.

Thanks very much! I'm just sickened, I've only had it a couple of months and I'll be paying it off for another while through the bike-to-work scheme. ARGG

Thanks very much! I'm just sickened, I've only had it a couple of months and I'll be paying it off for another while through the bike-to-work scheme. ARGG

Arrgh is right, absolutely sucks.

I see in your pic you have an ABUS cable lock. Was that the only lock you had on it? Was it locked to anything? You said the back wheel was still immobilized?

(Not trying to torture you, just wondered how you had it locked?)

• Advertisement

No problem!

I had two of those locks and there was a built in lock on the back wheel so it couldn't be cycled until the back wheel was released with a third key, or else someone would have to crack open part of the frame to get to this locking mechanism, but since the guy was seen walking it out I assume he didn't do that on site at least, it was locked up in a sheltered bike rack (didn't want it getting too wet in the rain yesterday!) but CCTV in the area was not great.

No problem!

I had two of those locks and there was a built in lock on the back wheel so it couldn't be cycled until the back wheel was released with a third key, or else someone would have to crack open part of the frame to get to this locking mechanism, but since the guy was seen walking it out I assume he didn't do that on site at least, it was locked up in a sheltered bike rack (didn't want it getting too wet in the rain yesterday!) but CCTV in the area was not great.

O wow, 2 of them! I also have three locks, the same 'Wheel lock' as yours, a U-lock plus cable and a cheap cable one for the front wheel as well.

Ok, thanks for the update, I really hope someone rats on this bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,898 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

2 of them is just as useless as one, the thief will just have to go snip twice instead of once and it will take him 15 seconds instead of 10, if you dont use a U-Lock you might as well not bother locking it at all. Not that the U-lock is much good these days either unless its a New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Thanks!

I think i helped :D Sent you PM!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Anyone missing a Men Gold Rush mountain bike? PM me

• Advertisement

Wilson Auctions doing the next Garda Auction 3rd July

http://www.wilsonsauctions.com/media/1371227664839-04th%20of%20July%202013pdf.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Surveyor11 wrote: »

What if you think one of those bikes might be yours?
    Who would you contact?

I reported it at the time and never heard anything back

If you have proof of ownership (receipt, frame number) it should be a matter of sorting out with the guards, did you spot yours in the auction?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    If you have proof of ownership (receipt, frame number) it should be a matter of sorting out with the guards, did you spot yours in the auction?

Bought the bike off my brother who bought it new. Stolen approx this time last year. I think I may have spotted it alright.

what would my first thing to do be? contact the station I reprted the theft to?

Was onto my brother there now. He will get on to the shop he bought it from to check for frame number. Its about 5 years ago though!

He had it wrote down but he sold it to me same time as he moved house and thought he wouldnt need to keep the number!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

120 BSOs, 10(ish) decent bikes?

Anybody ever been to one of these auctions, sounds pretty tedious?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,624 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I would wonder if there's some sort of certificate of ownership you receive when you buy one of the bikes at the auction, because otherwise surely if the original owner spotted the bike as his and reported it to the Gardai, they'd give it to him as has happened several times to people who have bought stolen goods?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭noc231073

stetyrrell wrote: »
    I would wonder if there's some sort of certificate of ownership you receive when you buy one of the bikes at the auction, because otherwise surely if the original owner spotted the bike as his and reported it to the Gardai, they'd give it to him as has happened several times to people who have bought stolen goods?

That's a good point ... In fact with the amount of bikes getting stolen the chances if purchasing one are pretty high .. How do you avoid buying a stolen bike? I know asking for a receipt works .. But not everyone has a receipt for their bikes ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Letter to the Irish Times mentions the epidemic of bike theft

http://www.irishtimes.com/debate/letters/putting-brakes-on-cyclists-1.1428992

Maybe this is the start of something being done about it? (Not holding my breath.)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 razor69

B'twin Triban 3 stolen from my house in Dublin 15 yesterday afternoon. This bike is sold exclusively by Decathlon UK & as such is quite rare. Added to that there was many extras on the bike incl:
    1.) White Charge Spoon Saddle
    2.) Shimano RS10 Wheelset
    3.) 2x Red Elite Bottle Cages
    4.) Red walled Michelin Lithion 2 tyres
    5.) B'twin Saddle bag

Please please help. I'm supposed to be doing the Cycle for Cancer in Aid of St Francis Hospice on 17'th August and this WILL NOT HAPPEN unless the bike's returned. questions asked on return.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 razor69

B'twin Triban 3 stolen from my house in Dublin 15 yesterday afternoon. This bike is sold exclusively by Decathlon UK & as such is quite rare. Added to that there was many extras on the bike incl:
    1.) White Charge Spoon Saddle
    2.) Shimano RS10 Wheelset
    3.) 2x Red Elite Bottle Cages
    4.) Red walled Michelin Lithion 2 tyres
    5.) B'twin Saddle bag

Please please help. I'm supposed to be doing the Cycle for Cancer in Aid of St Francis Hospice on 17'th August and this WILL NOT HAPPEN unless the bike's returned. No questions asked on return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Mike142

Had a black Giant Defy 3 stolen from my car in Dublin 9 recently. Cash reward for information leading to its recovery no questions asked! It is only a couple of months old so I never got around to taking a picture of it.

Thanks Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭youwhoglue

My wife got her bike stolen from outside our apartment block about 10 days ago.
    It was delivered back to us a few nights ago by the Gardaí. :)

All I'll say is keep your eyes peeled on donedeal, adverts, gumtree and all other sites that sell bikes. Set up non specific searches, browse every day and save everything you see. I spotted it and the Gardaí pounced. Also, it came back a little different so if it even might be your bike, definitely go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,898 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

youwhoglue wrote: »
    Also, it came back a little different so if it even might be your bike, definitely go for it.
    What did they do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭youwhoglue

Thargor wrote: »
    What did they do with it?
    It was short a few large accessories

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

My White single speed / fixie with a flip flop cog and white deep section wheels was stolen from the basement car park of my apartment complex in Sandyford sometime last night. The bike beside it was also stolen.

My bike was locked twice with cables to a steel column and the bike rack. They cut through both cables and lifted the bike with u-locks sill on it.

Looks similar to:
    $(KGrHqNHJEYFDy8r9uqSBQ-SS6dhEQ~~60_12.JPG

Will report to the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

On Wed 26th at 1215 PM, I locked my Racing Bike as usual at the bike park in Drury St Car park, next to Fade St. I've been using that park without trouble for some years now. However, when I went back for my bike yesterday, it was gone, along with my helmet and lock. I checked with the park security and was given my helmet and (snipped) lock.

It seem's that during the afternoon of Wed, my bike was stolen. A security officer there late on Wed saw a suspected bike thief in the park at some-one else's bike and while dealing with that issue, found my helmet and lock on the ground amongst the bikes.

I'm hoping that the park's CCTV might have caught and recorded the face of the thief, have to wait 'til Monday to meet the park's manager. I've reported the theft to Pearse St Gardai, who deal with that area.

My bike is a carbon fibre frame and forks, Dark Blue/Grey (Slatish) with the name "LOOK" on it. It's fitted out with Shimano parts and it's pedals are Shimano Touring using standard M/B-type cleats. See photo's attached. If anyone happen's to see a "LOOK" frame bike like that above, please leave your details for me via PM.

As the thief/thieves are coming equipped with bolt-cutters, I advise (now) using a shackle lock between the bike frame and the metal bike stands there, hoping that they don't resort to using noisy angle-grinders.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,032 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Sorry for your loss but at the risk of victim blaming, what were you thinking locking up a carbon Look road bike with that crappy cable lock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Lumen wrote: »
    Sorry for your loss but at the risk of victim blaming, what were you thinking locking up a carbon Look road bike with that crappy cable lock?

As a friend says " that lock would only keep an honest man straight"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Have you a photograph of the bike. It might be of more use, than photos of stuff, that wasn't actually stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I leave the locks there permanently for use with my other bike and took the racer in that one day, reckoning it would be safe. No, I don't have a photo of it. I had been in with Eurocycle nearby earlier that week looking at their shackle locks, but didn't buy one. One lives and learn's :eek:

I bought the frame in Cyprus some years ago, added the forks and built it up here. Are there many "LOOK" carbon frames here in Ireland? I was thinking I had the only one as I hadn't seen any others here.

Advertisement