Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Hello,

My name is David. My Kellys Neos was stolen from Wellington Quay, near the Clarence Hotel / Workman's Club last Friday evening [May 10th], between 7pm and 10:30pm. It was locked with a Kryptonite U-lock on the frame, and cable round both wheels, locked to the silver posts just on the corner of Wellington Quay and the Capel St bridge.

I'm new to Boards. A friend told me about this forum. This is the first time I've had a bike stolen... Do bikes often get recovered?

I've got a photo of my bike, and I've reported it to Pearse St Garda station... I have the serial number too.

Please let me know what you think I should do from here. I've been keeping an eye on websites like Gum Tree, Adverts, and Done Deal, for used bikes, and the Gardai's recovered bikes photstream, but haven't spotted it yet...

Thanks for your help

-david

BJ_cWJqCcAARtHp.jpg

Oh that sucks. You really seem to have done it all "right" in terms of how you locked it, the type of locked used, etc......so infuriating.
    And depressing, because I was just about to go and buy that very lock today as my own Ulock has stopped working (won't open for me anymore, takes about 40 tries and a can of W5). Now I am thinking why bloody bother paying the money for the Kyptonite when yours was easily stolen, and from a busy part of the city to boot :(

I am sorry for your luck and will deffo keep an eye out for your bike. I would love to see it returned to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Malenfant

I´ve seen a guy <snip> leaving a LOOK carbon race bike for around 5000€ unlocked infront of the centra at drumcondra station (at around 7:45 AM). It looked like a 586, could be a slightly older model as well. Called the Garda but they just asked me how I know that it´s a stolen bicycle... till I was able to explain the situation the guy was jumping on the bike and got away. The Centra at Drumcondra station will have a CCTV recording of the bike and the guy. <snip>. I wish I could have help more :o.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭ThreeBlindMice

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Oh that sucks. You really seem to have done it all "right" in terms of how you locked it, the type of locked used, etc......so infuriating.

And depressing, because I was just about to go and buy that very lock today as my own Ulock has stopped working.

You are wasting your money buying the bottom end of any lock manufactures range.

You are wasting your money buying the bottom end of any lock manufactures range.

My lock wasn't the "bottom end". I bought it as one recommended by the bicycle insurance advertised on this thread somewhere. It's an RSPZ Ulock with a cable and cost me around 60 euros I think. I don't know why it's stopped working , just wear and tear I guess as it has been over two years now since I bought it. So I was thinking of the high end Kryptonite, but it's alot more than what I paid for this one and seeing so many posts where people have had their bikes stolen despite having them, I don't feel like forking out the cash!

I have three locks on my bicycle now as a result of having had three bicycles stolen before I got this set up in place, so I guess it's working ok *knock on wood.
    My three locks are :
    Ulock (with cable) plus disc lock (which came with my bike) plus cheap cable lock I use on the front wheel. I get funny looks when I take out all my keys but like most folks here, once you've been burned by scumbag thieves, you have to get a bit radical, or else forget cycling in Dublin at all.
    ;)

http://www.cyclesure.ie/misc_and_legal/list_of_approved_locks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I posted these before, several times, but they're well worth anybody having a peek at.

I might repost every 20 pages or so!

Beasty, lemme know if this would cause a problem, and I'll cease and desist!

Firstly, for the Dubs...
    http://www.dublincitycycling.ie/blog/index.php/2009/10/new-cycle-parking-facility-on-drury-street/

And just in case you ever wondered how to lock...

Hal Ruzal! Both informative and entertaining!

• Advertisement

I had just finished watching all those this morning in fact! Great stuff. I do lock my bike that way *most* of the time, but I confess I get lazy on occasion and so the reminder from LOUD HAL was a good one. My only bad grade would come from my seat being totally unsecured but it does have a nice rip in it now so maybe that's why no one's bothered lifting it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Big Mig

Guys,

A friend of mine had her Stephen Roche carbon road bike stolen from Dublin city centre last night :-(

The bike is a 52cm bike, blue and black with Campagnolo equipment on it....its quite distinctive and has the Stephen Roche name on the frameset....

There would not be a lot of them in this country so please keep an eye out for it and let me know........!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

endacl wrote: »

Had someone in my shop last week that had their bike nicked from that car park, so you still need to be vigilant!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭endacl

dubmess wrote: »
    Had someone in my shop last week that had their bike nicked from that car park, so you still need to be vigilant!

First I've heard of, although it had to happen sooner or later. Still, it has to be better than leaving it on the street. At least there's somebody there nominally responsible for keeping an eye on things...

That said, I still use 3 locks- about 250 quids worth themselves. When I park up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 psychoead

Hi, my bike was stolen from outside my apartment yesterday 29th May. It is a black 2008 Carrera Fury similar to the one pictured.this_one_150.jpg

I left it locked up to a drainpipe out the back of our flat on North Circular Road near Hanlons corner. The thieves actually tore the pipe off of the wall to get to the bike.

Any information that could help track down the bike would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

I plan to carry my bike up to my apartment everyday and not have to lock it outside anywhere. A drain pipe can easily be levered of a wall unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭birchtree

Rust affected blue mens bike got stolen from Drumcondra Rd. last night, from a front of a Quinns pub, in front of security camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

mondeo wrote: »
    I plan to carry my bike up to my apartment everyday and not have to lock it outside anywhere. A drain pipe can easily be levered of a wall unfortunately.
    Since my bike was stolen outside of my workplace, I now haul it up 2 flights of stairs and into the office.

On another note, the garda that I reported my bike to has been atrocious at getting back to me. She had one month to view cctv before it was overwritten. The camera looks right down on my bike. The one month has now gone so the cctv is also gone. Would I be within my rights to complain after my numerous calls to get her to do it, or am I just wasting my time? I understand that they are a busy station, and probably have better things to be doing, but the security place was a 5 min walk for them and the bike set me back €700 so it meant something to me, if not to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Since my bike was stolen outside of my workplace, I now haul it up 2 flights of stairs and into the office.

On another note, the garda that I reported my bike to has been atrocious at getting back to me. She had one month to view cctv before it was overwritten. The camera looks right down on my bike. The one month has now gone so the cctv is also gone. Would I be within my rights to complain after my numerous calls to get her to do it, or am I just wasting my time? I understand that they are a busy station, and probably have better things to be doing, but the security place was a 5 min walk for them and the bike set me back €700 so it meant something to me, if not to them.

For future reference, *immediately a bicycle is stolen* send a registered letter to a named manager at the place where the CCTV is and ask for the CCTV to be preserved (ring first and find out who to send it to, and also ask verbally for it to be recorded to CD and kept for the Gardaí to collect). Send a copy of this letter and a covering letter asking for the CCTV to be retrieved and watched, also registering this, to the named garda to whom you've reported the theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MrCJ

So in a fit of stupidity I left my bike against a pole with the blue ring locks outside Eason's on O'Connell street. I didn't purposely not lock my bike I just had a lapse of concentration and walked away from it after putting the helmet in my bag.

I've reported it to the guards who said they'll keep an eye out but since there are no camera's pointing at that spot there is little chance of finding the bike.

It had a 20" frame, was mainly black with green stripes on the frame and saddle. Had a mudguard with a red sticker on it which was on the back wheel.

kellys-saphix-green-19-rower-kolekcja-2011.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

MrCJ wrote: »
    So in a fit of stupidity I left my bike against a pole with the blue ring locks outside Eason's on O'Connell street. I didn't purposely not lock my bike I just had a lapse of concentration and walked away from it after putting the helmet in my bag.

I've reported it to the guards who said they'll keep an eye out but since there are no camera's pointing at that spot there is little chance of finding the bike.

This is insane! Probably one of the most popular spots in Dublin for robbers!

birchtree wrote: »
    Rust affected blue mens bike got stolen from Drumcondra Rd. last night, from a front of a Quinns pub, in front of security camera.

Was it locked?

(I just bought the Kryptonite Ulock/w cable for 55 euro from Rothar: great deal! Hope it keeps me out of this thread)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭ThreeBlindMice

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Was it locked?

(I just bought the Kryptonite Ulock/w cable for 55 euro from Rothar: great deal! Hope it keeps me out of this thread)

It depends on the value of your bike and the colour of your new Kryptonite lock. :)

Not to burst your bubble, if its not the yellow kryptonite lock you could still be a visitor to this thread as the owner of this bike would have learned. PS there is no harm having two locks including the grey one and the yellow one.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84598153&postcount=1007

It depends on the value of your bike and the colour of your new Kryptonite lock. :)

Not to burst your bubble, if its not the yellow kryptonite lock you could still be a visitor to this thread as the owner of this bike would have learned. PS there is no harm having two locks including the grey one and the yellow one.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84598153&postcount=1007

God I'm an idiot, lol...I saw that story and still went out and bought the same lock. Didn't even think.

You know, I might just go and get the yellow one as well now!

*damn these thieves to hell:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hughperman

Just chiming in my gf's bike was stolen outside our house in Drogheda last Thursday morning, early early. Saw the kids who did it, 4 of them, about 15. Ran after them to "ask" them if they'd seen anything, they just legged it.

Now, I see an ad went up at the weekend selling some bikes; the second one looks very like her bike (with some crappy mudguards added), and I've never seen anyone else with one, so don't think they're v common. Anyone got any ideas on how to proceed with it? I have pics of her with it. If I call up and accuse, the bike will have been sold. If I go over and see it, could get ugly. Can the gardai do anything? I'll call in the morning I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

hughperman wrote: »
    Just chiming in my gf's bike was stolen outside our house in Drogheda last Thursday morning, early early. Saw the kids who did it, 4 of them, about 15. Ran after them to "ask" them if they'd seen anything, they just legged it.

Now, I see an ad went up at the weekend selling some bikes; the second one looks very like her bike (with some crappy mudguards added), and I've never seen anyone else with one, so don't think they're v common. Anyone got any ideas on how to proceed with it? I have pics of her with it. If I call up and accuse, the bike will have been sold. If I go over and see it, could get ugly. Can the gardai do anything? I'll call in the morning I guess.

Have you got the chassis number off the bike. If not I don;t think you have much chance. The Gardaí can't do much without some kind of proof of ownership.

you could always go see it and ask a few direct questions it might spook them off but it might also go pear shaped quickly.

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    Have you got the chassis number off the bike. If not I don;t think you have much chance. The Gardaí can't do much without some kind of proof of ownership.

you could always go see it and ask a few direct questions it might spook them off but it might also go pear shaped quickly.

Thanks; we don't have the number to hand, but the bike shop might? Was bought a while back now though, so might be a bit of a long shot...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Thanks; we don't have the number to hand, but the bike shop might? Was bought a while back now though, so might be a bit of a long shot...

Worth ringing them to see. Think Bike took down the serial number of my bike when I bought it from them, just in case. The down-side to that is that because I know they have it, I haven't gotten off my arse and written it down myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 seb102

Hi,

My bike was stolen in Northwood, Santry some time between Friday night and early Saturday morning. It was on the balcony of my third floor apartment, unlocked. I have no idea how they got to it other than from one of the neighbouring balconies. The apartment opposite mine has been empty for a few months (the balconies are adjacent but about 1 metre apart), but someone might have kept a copy of the key and accessed the balcony that way. There are people living in the two apartments above mine, I wouldn't want to suspect of the neighbours but it is a possiblity. From the street it would have been impossible without a really tall ladder.

It's a white and silver Carrera Crossfire 3, with a 21" frame. It has a black triangle bag, a visible scrape on the top of the bell and some rust on the brake discs.

266481?$PDP_MAIN$

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Round up a few boardsies for backup!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭happytramp

Any photo's of the bike? Any distinguishing marks etc that you could use to prove it was yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

seb102 wrote: »
    Hi,

My bike was stolen in Northwood, Santry some time between Friday night and early Saturday morning. It was on the balcony of my third floor apartment, unlocked. I have no idea how they got to it other than from one of the neighbouring balconies. The apartment opposite mine has been empty for a few months (the balconies are adjacent but about 1 metre apart), but someone might have kept a copy of the key and accessed the balcony that way. There are people living in the two apartments above mine, I wouldn't want to suspect of the neighbours but it is a possiblity. From the street it would have been impossible without a really tall ladder.

It's a white and silver Carrera Crossfire 3, with a 21" frame. It has a black triangle bag, a visible scrape on the top of the bell and some rust on the brake discs.

You'd easy drop a rope and hook from a balcony above and just lift up the bike. Not accusing your neighbours but it would be the easiest explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 seb102

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    You'd easy drop a rope and hook from a balcony above and just lift up the bike. Not accusing your neighbours but it would be the easiest explanation.

I'd though of that, it's probably the what they did. Unfortunately I have no way to prove it.

Round up a few boardsies for backup!

Heh yeah it's appealing! Decided not to go out though, it's an hour drive each way and I don't think I have the balls or argumentative skills to go up against someone running a bike stealing racket who knows where I live. Don't have a serial number or anything to back me up; a few pictures but nothing definitive.

The ad was for 10 bikes, photos included large workshop at back, bikes had probably had pieces swapped between them (mudguards added, etc). The bike was stolen by a gang of 4 kids at about 4:30am, and presumably dropped by them into a van (saw them coming back with no bike but a giant set of bolt cutters) bringing it up to Cavan. ****ing ****ing thieves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

I'm based in Cavan, if you wish I would be more than happy to go take a look at the bike with a view to 'buying' it, if you PM me the ad. I could take a few pictures for you if you wished, might help identify it/put your mind at ease. May get a chance to see what else they have gathered.

Advertisement