Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make the decission to put him asleep

Options
  • 30-03-2011 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

We have a Springer who will be 16 years old this summer. Over the last few months he has got really really skinny even though he is eating at first we thought the other dog was eating most of the food so we have been feeding them seperately to make sure he gets enough. He is very slow and seems to walk in cirlces quite a lot.

This is the first time I have ever had to make he decission and really don't know when to call it a day.

Can anyone else who has gone though this please give any advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

have you brought him to the vets since this started happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

He is having regular check ups and the vet really just looks at us and tells us he is getting old. :(

Not that I want him to but some times I just wish he would fall asleep and not wake so we don't have to make the decisson, if you know what I mean. I have never had to make a decission like this before and it is killing me what if we make the decission and he had some more time.

It is a tough decision, you have to think about the quality of life he is having, if he is in pain, stopping to eat etc. I think anyone who has been in that situation hopes to get one more week followed by one more week refusing to let go. All I can say is bring him back to the vets, get a second opinion if you have to and if you feel in your heart he is suffering then may be best in the long run. My last 2 were around the same age as yours, one got cancer and in the space of 2 weeks it was just not right to leave him as he was, the second fella had arthritis in his back legs, he was on meds for almost 2 years and got about fine but the day came that he could no longer support his own weight and it was time to put him to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Does he seem to be in pain or suffering at all? Because I know of plenty of dogs, mine included, that have lived long past 16, and while they may not be very active, and at times can be extra work taking care of them, especially as the older they get the more "accidents" they have in the house as they simply don't have the bladder control to hold it any more, they are still content and loved, they lie around all day, getting rubbed occasionally and watching all that goes on.

I would never have a dog PTS unless it's showing significant signs of being in distress or pain and the vet can do nothing to make them more comfortable, but that's just me. It's a heartbreaking decision to have to make in the end, but sometimes it's the kindest thing to do.

At times he is quite unstable on his feet and seems to fall over for no reason what so ever.

I really don't want to make the decission but at time when I look at him it seems the only fair thing to do but then he has better days. I really really don't know what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

My dog lived till she was 17, and we had to make the decision to put her down on new years day.

My pet was exactly the same as your dog, lost an awful amount of weight, couldn't stand without her legs collapsing. TO be honest I think we left her a bit too late :(

It was awful to see the pain she went through on that last day. We had brought her to the vet new years eve and were told that she would have to be put to sleep, I wanted to just give her one more day so we were given very strong sedatives in the hope that she would pass in her sleep.

In the end she was up all that night crying etc and was only half concious, according to the vet, when we did it on new years day. Up till then she had been ok, very wobbly etc but not in visible pain.
    I think in hindsight I would have done it when she wasn't so completely gone. It was more awful seeing her in that deteriorated state then it was to actually put her to sleep.

Aw Im getting all teary just thinking about it! :( It's an awful decision either way

I think it has to be the hardest decission to ever make, even thinking about it now has me upset.

Sorry to hear about your dog perri winkles, didn't mean to upset you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I remember an old westhighland terrier we had was diagnosed with cancer. The vet was very kind and open and said there was nothing he could do.
    I remember asking how long would she have and he said probably about 6 mths.
    Of course I also was aware that she probably would have to be put to sleep so asked the vet about when should she be put to sleep. He just said you will know the time but for now
    bring her home and give her lots of TLC :)
    Well we brought her home and had lots of quality time with her.
    One evening after she insisted on following my Dad for an evening walk in the fields, she collapsed and we just knew that she had taken a turn for the worse and it was time. The following morning I rang the vet and went with her. I stayed with her all the time and brought her home and buried her in the garden.

It was the most heartbreaking thing I had to do but also the kindest thing as I couldn't have seen her suffer any longer!
    I would just follow my gut and look in to your dogs eyes and let him/her tell you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

We had 2 dogs put down in the past couple of years. I know how difficult it is, but as homerhop says, it all comes down to quality of life.

Our oldest, Sam, was 18 or 19. He had slowly been going downhill for a couple of years and the vet said that his liver was failing but that he could survive with very little functioning liver and that when it stopped working he would deteriorate very quickly. Sure enough, about 6 months later it happened and one morning he just couldn't get out of his bed. We took him down to the vet and he was put to sleep. He did lose a lot of weight and slowed right down when out for a walk, but there was no real decision to be made as he was his cheeky self right up until the end so we had no doubt he was enjoying life.

We put Max down last year and that was much harder. Max was a Belgian Shepard and they have issues with their hips. Max was still his bright self, it's just that his hips gave way. He had been given steriods for about 18 months but they could only do so much. He gradually got worse and in the end he just couldn't stand anymore and you could see how miserable he was. Putting him down was the best thing for him, regardless of how difficult it was to say goodbye.

I'd take advice from your vet, but if he seems to be enjoying life to some extent and he doesn't seem to be in pain or discomfort then maybe it's not time just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Incheerocket

it is always the very hardest decision, we had to make ours last year after my 15 yr old weimaraner was collapsing on her back legs, she had been doing it for a while and was on heart medication, but there came a moment when I just knew it was no longer fair on her, and I think you will know in your heart when 'its time'. Like you I wished she would just go to sleep one day and not wake,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

Such an awful day when u realise that you will have to make that decision in the near future. My vet gave me a piece of advice when I was in the same boat as you he told me that the dog will normally let you know when its time. It was true!! One evening we were just sitting watching tv and she just looked up at me from her bed and that was it I knew it was time so we made the appointment. Tears in my eyes still thinking about it but reckon they know more than they let on and if you listen the dog will tell you when its time. As heartbroken as I was I was so grateful to be giving her a cuddle in her final moments and for the fab 13 years she gave me!! Its very hard but she was my loyal companion for 13 years so I owed it to her to make that tough decision and make sure she did not suffer.

Just spent the last 20 minutes talking to him and rubbing him :( he really does look so miserable, I gave him a treat which he wouldn't even eat till I broke it up into small pieces which he then did eat.

Think we will have to sit down tonight and talk about it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

It broke my heart when our little guy had to be PTS. What I will say though is, to make it less stressful for the dog, and for you, see if your vet will come to your home and do it. It meant so much that he was lying beside me on the sofa in his favourite spot being petted and held so lovingly by us.

Oh God, I'm crying at my desk in work. This is embarrassing...

Anyway, speak to your vet and see if they'll do that. It will make the whole thing a lot less painful.

I am so sorry that you are having to go through this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Fingers crossed I have a while before having to make this decision ours are very young, but I found this a while ago, I think it was called what a dog wants
    1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.

7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.

9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.

10. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so.

You've all had me in tears here reading your stories :-(

Janey mack I'm off crying again :( that last bit really really got me as I have been saying for the last few months that there is no way I can go with him when the time comes that I wanted my husband to bring him but after reading that no matter how hard it will be I can't not go with him :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Its never easy, think you know when the time is up. My last dog always loved his walks albeit short walks (he used to do 3 to 4 hr walks every day in his younger days), you could not touch the lead otherwise it meant walk. Then if we touched the lead he did not react to it also his eyes had a yellow tinge. Brought him to the vet who told us what we knew, his liver was failing he could of been put onto cortisone which would only give him 6mths of live but it was not quality life. It was his time which we knew even though it was 6 years ago but it feels like yesterday but knew it was the right decision we made very hard but the correct one.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

Oh Barbiegirl you have me in tears. I did not stay. I could not bear to watch. I just went outside in my car and cried my eyes out. I loved her so much, I could not bare to she her take her last breath. I thought it would be easier for me, but I forgot about her. I so loved her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭jessible

This thread has me in tears. I had to put down my dog few years ago will never forget it. Like your dog he lost alot of weight and went downhill fairly rapidly within the space of 3weeks. I kept on putting it off he was only 11 and thought he'd get better having brought him to the vet on numberous occassions. He had a few things wrong with him and was on meds but because of his condition and age couldnt be operated on.

He was part of the family spoilt rotten and used to sleep upstairs in bedroom towards the end he couldnt even climb up the stairs. He always slept upstairs since he was a pup. Seeing him in so much pain was heartbreaking and I knew that by putting him down it was the right thing to do. I'll never forget it his sad little face looking up at us and all I could do was cry even though I was trying my best to fight back the tears. I didnt want to worry him he hated going to the vets but I think he sensed it I think he knew.

The way I think of it is he had a great life and we def made the right decision even though it was a tough decision to make. To leave him in pain would of been the selfish thing to do. I cried for weeks after but knew he was out of pain. If your dogs in pain dont let him suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭almae

ah god... sad stories and OP what a sad time for you too.
    It is a awful hard decision to make, whenever it happens.

It happed us last July our wedding anniversary my boy Garfield Aged 6 just wasn't himself , 1.5 yrs previous he was diagnosed with Kidney failure.
    The night of our wedding anniversary i brought him to vet on call . and he told me my worse fear , it was coming to an end..
    he told me there was 80% chance of him coming home :(, he started him on drips etc to flush out the toxins in his body and he kept him over night .
    next morning i went straight up to him in vets, he was purring and turning himself inside out for me.
    Vet called me about 2pm to say his urea was gone beyond repair. he said to come up at 4pm to discuss things. we went up , I was devasted. I cradled garfield in my arms still purring and wrapped in his blanket. Vet told us we could bring him home for a day or 2 and then bring him back or leave it for a week. But at this stage he was getting emaciated and was weeing uncontrollably.
    Then I just looked at him and he looked at me as much to say "its ok" ..
    I held him when the vet injected him and he was gone in less than a second...
    I was devasted , i sobbed uncontrollably , I miss him so so so so much its hard to describe...they become more than ur pet.

here is Garfield
    2125861460102916097S425x425Q85.jpg

and video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUrWZKJzKc4

OP , anyone else who has lost a pet or is going to have to make that horibble decision it is very hard.. just grieve when the time comes. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

eeyore2502 wrote: »
    He is having regular check ups and the vet really just looks at us and tells us he is getting old. :(

Not that I want him to but some times I just wish he would fall asleep and not wake so we don't have to make the decisson, if you know what I mean. I have never had to make a decission like this before and it is killing me what if we make the decission and he had some more time.

I wouldnt be able to make this decision....Sorry i dunno what to say..:(

Im afraid of ever having to make that decision with my fella! DEAR GOD!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Had one dog for fifteen years, first dog i ever had. She started to go downhill the same year that I was very sick and my family put off PTS for about six months. They wanted to wait until i was better before letting her go, but half way through I was able to go home from the hospital for a few weeks. When i saw her, I knew it was time. Her legs were extremely weak, she was blind and deaf and she was rapidly losing weight. She was the family dog, but no one else wanted to make the decision so I had to. I'm still upset about it now, but her quality of life had been gone for a while and it was best to let her go.

It is a very hard decision to make, and one thing I will say is i think you're better off if you stay with them right to the end.

Thanks everyone for the replies. We made the decision today and have an appointment for tomorrow evening, my husband is going to bring him down to the vet and stay with him and doesn't want me to go, I think he wants time alone with him as he has always been his dog from day one. Dreading telling our kids (13 and 10) tomorrow they are going to be devasted they have never not had him around.

House is so quite at the moment 3 dogs, 2 kids and hubby all fast asleep. I can't sleep thinking about tomorrow and wishing it wouldn't come :(

sorry to hear that, it is not a nice experience. wish ye all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭JKM

I'm so sorry OP for the unbearable decision you have had to make. But fair play to you for being brave enough to make it. I'm in floods of tears just reading this thread. I'm just praying we will not have to make the same decision in the next few days as we wait to see if our baby Ollie has responded to serious and life saving surgery. I'm so thankful I never had to make that decision with my beloved dog Chucky. It was definately in the pipeline as he was arthritic and had heart disease but he passed away quickly before we were in your position.

JKM hope Ollie is doing well.

Have to say today was worst then I could have even been ready for, our poor kids where devasted but thankfully understood that it was for the best, he had a long good life and wasn't fair for him to suffer.

We spent most of the evening just sitting with him in the sitting room until it was time. I couldn't go with him and my hubby want to go by himself with him, he has always been his dog from day one, was very hard watching them going off in the car :(

Just hope he is in a happier painless place now, RIP Bruno our best friend and campion for that last 15 years, the best friend anyone could ever ask for, miss you always.

4946565520_bf3bea11a1.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

You did the right thing by him. At least you know he is no longer in pain. He was a gorgeous dog, RIP.

The Rainbow Bridge
    By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
    Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
    Where the friends of man and woman do run,
    When their time on earth is over and done.
    For here, between this world and the next,
    Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
    On this golden land, they wait and they play,
    Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.
    No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
    For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
    Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
    Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.
    They romp through the grass, without even a care,
    Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
    All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
    Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.
    For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
    Together again, both person and pet.
    So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
    The time of their parting is over at last.
    The sadness they felt while they were apart,
    Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
    They embrace with a love that will last forever,
    And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭luvdogs

What a lovely happy face he had .....run free at the bridge xxxx

you did the right thing, its harder for us then them i think!! i`ve lost five now and three of those i had to decide when to let them go and it never gets any easier :(

your boy had a long happy life and you let him go while he was still himself...a very brave thing, thinking of you all xxxxxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭purity

It's the saddest yet most selfless thing you can do:( I happened to be in a similar position before and my heart broke. The best option would be to put him out of his misery as he is an old age and will continue on suffering. Remember he has had a great life and 16 is a great age:) Hopefully all will be okay and he doesn't suffer any longer:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭purity

eeyore2502 wrote: »
    JKM hope Ollie is doing well.

Have to say today was worst then I could have even been ready for, our poor kids where devasted but thankfully understood that it was for the best, he had a long good life and wasn't fair for him to suffer.

We spent most of the evening just sitting with him in the sitting room until it was time. I couldn't go with him and my hubby want to go by himself with him, he has always been his dog from day one, was very hard watching them going off in the car :(

Just hope he is in a happier painless place now, RIP Bruno our best friend and campion for that last 15 years, the best friend anyone could ever ask for, miss you always.

4946565520_bf3bea11a1.jpg

He was stunning and yes he is happy:) It's happened to hundreds of people and it's one of the hardest things you will do but time is a healer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Just to send big hugs OP. He was a lovely dog, you did the right thing and someday you will meet again.
    God i'm crying if hubbie wakes up and sees he'll think i'm mad

Advertisement