Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life Festival 2011

Options
  • 28-03-2011 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭

http://www.life-festival.com/

what do people think of the line up then?

I have to say first impressions are this is the best ever line up for Life IMO, it's worth the entrance fee alone to see artists like The Orb, Banco Di Gaia, Jeff Mills, Slam, Man With No Name and Juno Reactor and Ed Rush, i wouldn't be particularly bothered with Digweed thesedays although no doubt a good addition to the line up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

The line up is incredible:

Sandwell District alone does it for me. Then you have Ramadanman, Pinch along with the above mentioned. Just praying my exams are over before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

to be honest i would say at first glance that the line up for a festival like it is a complete joke.

Digweed and Jeff mills, 2 mid 90s burnt out has beens. digweed is the most overrated overpriced dj going,hes nearly up there with sasha. hes not bothered, he made his money back in the vinyl days and nows hes just holding on to it for life.

Jeff mills aint like that, but his techno style is so mid 90s white boy techno. no depth in the techno he plays, just the same old stuff, a sh1t load of hi hats and snears and away we go. there's plenty more innovative and interesting dj s out there that would do a much better job than him.

dr.lektroluv : complete joke

slam : same as digweed, useless, not bothered, lets let a record play for 16 minutes ,stand in front of the record and wave your arms and clap your hands to the crowd and then do a 30 second beatmatch near the end and get away with it coz we are slam,

the orb. isnt it the orb sound system ? which is not the original orb ? confused on that one.

all in all, to cut it short, the only act worth seeing imo is Banco Di Gaia.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Yeah Ramadanman, Pinch & Sandwell District do it for me. Slam would be worth seeing as they've released a few good tracks recently. Mills & Digweed are has-beens living off their 90s reputation.

The psytrance is always a good laugh, so ill be heading down to a good bit of that.
    Equinox is there too, I seen him there in 2009 and he was fairly good. I might check him out too.

Other than that is all about the crack for me. Anyone I know who went last year could only sing its praises. Hopefully 2011 will be good and with little or no knackers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Indeed Life have really come up trumps this time with this very experimental line up, uphill struggle for me to make this as ive a stag in England to go to the weekend after,and so far i don't know anyone going to this as of yet but im hopeful i can make it,i really don't wanna miss out on this, far better than the other commercial rip off festivals.

I'm not bothered with John Digweed thesedays but Jeff Mills is fantastic, a true techno legend.

• Advertisement

Mills would be more suited to the picnic than Life.

Mills would be more suited to the picnic than Life.

Have to say i was a bit surprised to see a Techno DJ headlining this festival, Life used to be about 75% psy trance but seems to be getting more experimental with the line up.

Very excited to see Banco De Gaia, i highly recommend their album
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-at-Glastonbury-Banco-Gaia/dp/B000024E3W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301318228&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

to be honest i would say at first glance that the line up for a festival like it is a complete joke.

Digweed and Jeff mills, 2 mid 90s burnt out has beens. digweed is the most overrated overpriced dj going,hes nearly up there with sasha. hes not bothered, he made his money back in the vinyl days and nows hes just holding on to it for life.

Jeff mills aint like that, but his techno style is so mid 90s white boy techno. no depth in the techno he plays, just the same old stuff, a sh1t load of hi hats and snears and away we go. there's plenty more innovative and interesting dj s out there that would do a much better job than him.

dr.lektroluv : complete joke

slam : same as digweed, useless, not bothered, lets let a record play for 16 minutes ,stand in front of the record and wave your arms and clap your hands to the crowd and then do a 30 second beatmatch near the end and get away with it coz we are slam,

the orb. isnt it the orb sound system ? which is not the original orb ? confused on that one.

all in all, to cut it short, the only act worth seeing imo is Banco Di Gaia.

You're completely wrong about Mills. Whiteboy techno? Mills?

Bang on the money about Digweed (wtf like???) and Slam (zzzzzzz).

Orb Soundsystem = orginal lineup doing a live set with additional members afaik.

As for concluding that Banco de Gaia are the only act worth seeing on that lineup though, all i can say is you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

your brilliant,im having a hard look at myslef right now.

i am not wrong about Mills. just because you might be a fan, doesn't make me wrong, i used to like em back in the 90s and when i hear him today i expect him to be a little bit up to date on his music collection ? but to find out hes just history repeating itself.

so what if he had a famous "controversial" cd out "live at liquid room" which showcased him train wrecking on 3 decks, so what, any fool can do that.
    and i seen another one his jokes of a live performance where he puts a drum machine down on the stage and starts fiddling with it. as if he's being innovatively creative. pffff

its just some simplistic designed 90s techno for little white boys to jump around on pills and head bang too, that's all it is. that specific style of techno is DEAD. because people with at least a half a brain can see it for what it is....ie.. rubbish.

of coarse a majority of the irish will idolise him to the last because they themselves are about 20 years behind on music, so its only natural i suppose...

Jeff mills in 1993 :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WESBdvsWM0k

Jeff mill 3 days ago :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOfTFESIv7k

no difference. same old fashioned drum machine white boy techno jump around whistle get your glow sticks out and whistle some more so it stops you from becoming numb in the brain techno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

Way off the mark with Mills I reckons

Saw him twice last year – and two completely diff type of sets one was way too heavy for me (sleeper wakes), second time was brilliant – music epic, the atmosphere was fantastic, - you cant just post two youtube vids, which are out of context set snippets to back up your point.

He’s also quite deep in his attitude towards the music, the scene and relationship between dj and punters… saw him speak last year and he had just played a gig in nijmegen having not played there for 10 years or something and he was saying that if hes doing a gig like that – he said that he likes to spend a lot time talking to the local promoters to really get a handle on the scene in order to make sure it fits and that he can bring the punters along with him

He was also saying that techno has only fulfilled about 25% of it potential and that he was excited about where it was going (at one point standing up and specifically addressing the media in the room and nearly demanding that they take more chances in giving exposure to people who are being innovative and driving the scene forward)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Actually Chloroplast, speaking as someone who has quite an interest in techno, you're completely wrong. Mills was off form the last few years (definitely unlike what he was at in the 90's) but now with the something in the sky stuff, his sets have gotten a lot better. All recent reports I've heard have been good. I would have been iffy about going to see him, the last 5 years, but he's really back on form.

What you're writing doesn't make a lot of sense to me. He hasn't kept up what he was doing in the 90's and what he's doing now is actually quite good. Also, I'm not sure what white boy techno is. I would have said if anything, that minimal would get that criticism levelled at it.

Sandwell district.....I hope its live, because they've bored the **** out of me dj'ing in the past. Live would be a different game altogether.

tdr.lektroluv : complete joke

What are they at bringing him over?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

your brilliant,im having a hard look at myslef right now.

i am not wrong about Mills. just because you might be a fan, doesn't make me wrong, i used to like em back in the 90s and when i hear him today i expect him to be a little bit up to date on his music collection ? but to find out hes just history repeating itself.

so what if he had a famous "controversial" cd out "live at liquid room" which showcased him train wrecking on 3 decks, so what, any fool can do that.
    and i seen another one his jokes of a live performance where he puts a drum machine down on the stage and starts fiddling with it. as if he's being innovatively creative. pffff

its just some simplistic designed 90s techno for little white boys to jump around on pills and head bang too, that's all it is. that specific style of techno is DEAD. because people with at least a half a brain can see it for what it is....ie.. rubbish.

of coarse a majority of the irish will idolise him to the last because they themselves are about 20 years behind on music, so its only natural i suppose...

listen to this

http://soundcloud.com/r_co/jeff-mills-all-tomorrows-guestmix-for-cgny-july-2010

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

this looks like a good weekend, weather permitting, did it sell out last year? Might wait for the last week and catch the weather forecast, i hate festival with rain ha Anybody ever go to a festival on their own, fun or boring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭blackalicious

think i mite go this, a few of my mates are goin and by all accounts its a deadly festival. the lineup doesn't look to great to me, ramadanman pinch would be the two main ones id like to see and jeff mills.but ive always wanted to go raving to psytrance to see wat all the fuss is about..

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

think i mite go this, a few of my mates are goin and by all accounts its a deadly festival. the lineup doesn't look to great to me, ramadanman pinch would be the two main ones id like to see and jeff mills.but ive always wanted to go raving to psytrance to see wat all the fuss is about..

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Sacred_git wrote: »
    this looks like a good weekend, weather permitting, did it sell out last year? Might wait for the last week and catch the weather forecast, i hate festival with rain ha Anybody ever go to a festival on their own, fun or boring?

The first Life Fest I went to was on my own and I stayed on my own for all of the first hour after which I started chatting with the folks who pitched up next to me and we've been close friends ever since.

Beyond that, I've been to most of them, played 2, couldn't be arsed last year and probably won't go this year either. It's sort of gotten less chilled each year and now that there's no longer a proper chill/downtempo stage I'm not too bothered.

Each to their own but i couldn't see myself going to a festival on my own,a mate of mine from England said he is interested in going to Life,now just trying to get the time and money as ive a stag the week after in England.

I love a bit of psy trance sometimes too:pac:

give me a 'doof in the bush' down in Oz and I'll dance to psytrance all night :)

• Advertisement

old gregg wrote: »
    give me a 'doof in the bush' down in Oz and I'll dance to psytrance all night :)
    :pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

doof in the bush

Is that Aussie slang for getting a kick in the crotch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

The first Life Fest I went to was on my own and I stayed on my own for all of the first hour after which I started chatting with the folks who pitched up next to me and we've been close friends ever since.

Beyond that, I've been to most of them, played 2, couldn't be arsed last year and probably won't go this year either. It's sort of gotten less chilled each year and now that there's no longer a proper chill/downtempo stage I'm not too bothered.

ya and there's a bad smell of 515 in it now too! missed the last 2 and won't be doing this years either.

Gort rocked

Is that Aussie slang for getting a kick in the crotch?
    it's a southern hemisphere outdoor rave in the bush that goes on for an entire weekend non-stop, quite often psytrance or techno.

In Sydney you'd be given a rough set of coordinates for the Blue Mountains (or an area of forestry the size of Leinster) and then at 11pm on a Fri night you'd txt a number and receive the exact location and hope that you don't get hopelessly lost forever finding it.

Up in Northern Queensland it's more remote beach parties - psytrance, pills and cocktails :p

o for endless sunshine :(

whoopdedoo wrote: »
    Gort rocked
    it is a true thing that you say.

The other thing I've often wondered about Gort is that it's full of Brazilians yet they don't have a decent soccer team :p

whoopdedoo wrote: »
    ya and there's a bad smell of 515 in it now too! missed the last 2 and won't be doing this years either.

Gort rocked
    I got a ticket before the line-up was announced but im still going. The line-up is fairly **** compared to last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

was at one of these before, was the worst 4 days ive ever had at any sort of dance event.

music was absolutely appaulling.

the most horrible generic ****e your ever likely to hear.the one guythat played some half decent techno was pulled off after about 40 mins, so that they could continue on playing the horrific psy trance crap.

the majority of the crowd their wouldnt know a decent tune if it raped them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

it is a true thing that you say.

The other thing I've often wondered about Gort is that it's full of Brazilians yet they don't have a decent soccer team :p

my theory on that is that Brazil ships those citizens lacking a congenital Godlike footballing ability off to small villages in the West of Ireland.

the majority of the crowd their wouldnt know a decent tune if it raped them
    can't comment cos I wasn't there (obviously) but as a generalisation I do reckon Australians wouldn't have the most sophisticated of musical tastes so can well see a bunch of folks dancing to psytrance by numbers.
    I on the other hand am an Australian with impeccable musical taste :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

can't comment cos I wasn't there (obviously) but as a generalisation I do reckon Australians wouldn't have the most sophisticated of musical tastes so can well see a bunch of folks dancing to psytrance by numbers.
    I on the other hand am an Australian with impeccable musical taste :p

I heard plenty of good techno in Aus, but this weekend was just a particular sore point, I generally take up any excuse to rant about it :D

Advertisement