Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate to be Micheal Cole right now

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Wrestlezone has it that it has generated real backstage heat towards Cole and that Vince/Dunn would have fired him there and then if he wasn't in the main event at mania

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Its on a few other sites too,even read he is a "Mark for Himself".I can see Vince turning on him very quickly,even though a lot of his character is vince through the headset.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

He was pretty toned down on Raw I thought, apart from the Lawler segment he generally stuck to the stuff he's be doing for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Surprised for many reasons they didn't add a stip that the loser of the match leaves the WWE. Could have been an on-screen reason to have him off air for a bit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Heat on Cole eh?

I seriously doubt it, the guy is probably in line for a massive pay check. Its the week leading to mania and WWE want you, I and everyone to think Cole is an dick so we will be more inclined to buy mania and see Lawler kick his behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

spiralism wrote: »
    Wrestlezone has it that it has generated real backstage heat towards Cole and that Vince/Dunn would have fired him there and then if he wasn't in the main event at mania

Did the website say main event? Just because Michael Cole says it doesn't make it true. ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Just watched some court-room schlock with Matthew McConnehy (sp?). Ryan Phillipe drops a big f-bomb (that word that rhymes with maggot) which is reiterated by the guy reading the statement....But I don't hear GLAAD getting their manties in a twist about it! :rolleyes:....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Just watched some court-room schlock with Matthew McConnehy (sp?). Ryan Phillipe drops a big f-bomb (that word that rhymes with maggot) which is reiterated by the guy reading the statement....But I don't hear GLAAD getting their manties in a twist about it! :rolleyes:....:mad:

Are you for real? If you can't distinguish between these two very different contexts then I don't know what to say to you!

GLAAD have every right to complain about what has been on WWE TV. So we shouldn't make it seem like they are being spoilsports or overly sensitive.

Also there is a colossal difference between the two contexts you give.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Just watched some court-room schlock with Matthew McConnehy (sp?). :rolleyes:....:mad:

Unless a women makes you, as a man you have no excuse to be watching any film with someone as awful as Mc Conny.:pac:

• Advertisement

GLAAD have every right to complain about what has been on WWE TV. So we shouldn't make it seem like they are being spoilsports or overly sensitive. Also there is a colossal difference between the two contexts you give.

I disagree, I think GLAAD should either complain about every damn occurance of homophobic slurs in every facet of the media, like a$$holes, or STFU like everybody else does.

I'm mainly angry at them for shamelessly using this to get free publicity off of WWE during their most visible few weeks off the year. I don't think the timing is a coincidence. Cena's been making homophobic slurs for years. Remember when he ran down the Nexus, insinuating Gabriel was gay - did GLAAD kick up a fuss? Nah, better wait until when Rock and Cena, mammoths in the wrestling industry, say something.

It's no coincidence that other leeches of the wrestling industry have come out of the woodwork at Mania to get some free exposure (eg Chyna)

I don't hear the Anti-Racism League complaining about WWE making fun of sheamus' skin colour. :p :pac: How about the IBS-sufferers when Cena made jokes about Miz making "poopy noises"? Where does it bloody end!
    Rjd2 wrote: »
    Unless a women makes you, as a man you have no excuse to be watching any film with someone as awful as Mc Conny.:pac:

Damn straight. I'm not Super-boyfriend for nothing :p And now i've got this in the back pocket when it's time to watch....

riversmall.jpg

also featuring Kevin Nash, Sycho Sid and WCW's Glacier :pac::pac:

I disagree, I think GLAAD should either complain about every damn occurance of homophobic slurs in every facet of the media, like a$$holes, or STFU like everybody else does.

I'm mainly angry at them for shamelessly using this to get free publicity off of WWE during their most visible few weeks off the year. I don't think the timing is a coincidence. Cena's been making homophobic slurs for years. Remember when he ran down the Nexus, insinuating Gabriel was gay - did GLAAD kick up a fuss? Nah, better wait until when Rock and Cena, mammoths in the wrestling industry, say something.

It's no coincidence that other leeches of the wrestling industry have come out of the woodwork at Mania to get some free exposure (eg Chyna)

I don't hear the Anti-Racism League complaining about WWE making fun of sheamus' skin colour. :p :pac: How about the IBS-sufferers when Cena made jokes about Miz making "poopy noises"? Where does it bloody end!

Damn straight. I'm not Super-boyfriend for nothing :p And now i've got this in the back pocket when it's time to watch....

riversmall.jpg

also featuring Kevin Nash, Sycho Sid and WCW's Glacier :pac::pac:

Theres no much wrong with this post! Comparing the plight of Chyna, Sheamus or IBS sufferers to that of the gay community is so ridiculous I can only assume your posts in this thread are a wind-up. The later have legitimate civil-rights and discriminatory grievances, the former do not.

A high-ranking WWE official called another WWE employee a 'faggot' in the public realm, its absurd the guy still has a job. It doesn't matter whether its Wrestlemania season or not, GLAAD are absolutely right to speak up.

I can't believe I'm defending gay rights on a pro-wrestling forum! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Golddust just called one of his followers on twitter a 'turd burglar'. Will there be the same uproar?

You could also say that they only found out about it because it is the time of year when WWE is most heavily publicised. Cena had ramped up the homophobic references over the past few months. Regardless of how or why, it is only right that somebody complained about Cena's homophobic material. It has been wrong all along (as I've said for a long time too) and it is sad it wasn't highlighted before. But it is good that it has been highlighted now.

Whether people like Chyna are being idiots or not has little to do with GLAAD. And I know you're joking, but Sheamus being pale is not a matter of racism!

Yes maybe it is because wrestling is most visible that GLAAD saw it and complained. I think it's more sinister though, in that I think they're just angling for free publicity...

Wrestling is built on stereotypes and ignorant prejudice and I believe GLAAD have no more 'right' to complain more than blacks (portrayed as criminals), asians (happy, ignorant, non-english speaking idiots) or any other minority who feel they are constantly made light of by the WWE. But they don't give out, but GLAAD are championed for doing so? Everyone who isn't a tall, built, white male gets a slagging, so I'm of the mindset of "jeez, just take wrestling for what it is".

Even Big Show, who fits the criteria, was/is mercilessly made fun of about his weight. As is Sheamus, who gets made fun of his foreign accent and different skin colour (definition of racism, lol!). The Divas are constantly made fun of, whether weight or talent. My point is that everyone is made fun of, so I don't think homosexuals should get special treatment. I don't think it's anything to get upset about or out of the ordinary.

Of course with Shambo i'm taking it to an absurd degree but I'm trying to show you that everyone, not just the gays, is made fun of.

Maybe I don't have a problem with it because there's no actual intolerance/hate of gays etc when Cena or whoever uses homophobic slurs as a generic derogatory term - it's just that, a schoolyard taunt that's instantly forgotten about. I think those terms are so overused and have no genuine venom associated with it that it should be taken as such.

IMO each case of slur should be taken on context and intonation, and in Cena's case I think it's nothing more than padding in a poorly-written promo. Wrestling is a relatively low-brow variety-show programme with bad actors and should be taken with a large bowl of salt.

I know we don't agree, but you get my point, right? :)

Yes maybe it is because wrestling is most visible that GLAAD saw it and complained. I think it's more sinister though, in that I think they're just angling for free publicity...

Wrestling is built on stereotypes and ignorant prejudice and I believe GLAAD have no more 'right' to complain more than blacks (portrayed as criminals), asians (happy, ignorant, non-english speaking idiots) or any other minority who feel they are constantly made light of by the WWE. But they don't give out, but GLAAD are championed for doing so? Everyone who isn't a tall, built, white male gets a slagging, so I'm of the mindset of "jeez, just take wrestling for what it is".

Even Big Show, who fits the criteria, was/is mercilessly made fun of about his weight. As is Sheamus, who gets made fun of his foreign accent and different skin colour (definition of racism, lol!). The Divas are constantly made fun of, whether weight or talent. My point is that everyone is made fun of, so I don't think homosexuals should get special treatment. I don't think it's anything to get upset about or out of the ordinary.

Of course with Shambo i'm taking it to an absurd degree but I'm trying to show you that everyone, not just the gays, is made fun of.

Maybe I don't have a problem with it because there's no actual intolerance/hate of gays etc when Cena or whoever uses homophobic slurs as a generic derogatory term - it's just that, a schoolyard taunt that's instantly forgotten about. I think those terms are so overused and have no genuine venom associated with it that it should be taken as such.

IMO each case of slur should be taken on context and intonation, and in Cena's case I think it's nothing more than padding in a poorly-written promo. Wrestling is a relatively low-brow variety-show programme with bad actors and should be taken with a large bowl of salt.

I know we don't agree, but you get my point, right? :)

I'm afraid I don't take your point. Just because WWE often blasts its Divas over their appearance (like the whole Mickie James 'piggie' stuff) doesn't make its homophobic content acceptable...the wrongness of one doesn't justify the wrongness of the other.

Cena is idolized by many, many thousands of young boys world-wide. It absolutely morally unacceptable and irresponsible for the WWE to script homophobic content in his promos, all it does is serve to breed homophobia in the next generation at a time where slow but steady progress is being made to weed this sort of stuff out.

I meant that you just understand my point of view, but not necessarily agree with it. (All i can ever ask for...on an irish forum!!)

I don't mean that any descriminatory talk is acceptable -- it's all wrong. The stereotypes of blacks, asians, women etc is wrong as is far more damaging than any Cena rap. It shouldn't be done in the first place. What I don't appreciate is ONLY GLAAD is partnering with WWE (and in the process, getting so much free publicity). GLAAD shouldn't get preferential treatment with WWE since so many other minorities/pro-tolerance groups don't. It's not just the gays who get made light of in the WWE.

I also don't see slagging someone using physical, mental, professional etc slurs to be any less hurtful/damaging etc than sexual slurs because nobody that's actually gay gets gay-bashed. Say eg someone called Orlando Jordan the F word on TV - that'd be completely unacceptable, because there'd be truth and venom in the words.

I get what you're saying about the young impressionable minds watching wrestling being made to think that homophobia is ok/shouldn't be encouraged like WWE are doing but honestly I don't think that's the case. I feel that kids view in it's context. Rock isn't gay, and Cena's just making fun of him in a school-yard level forgettable manner. The words have no venom or ill-will and is just synonms for douchebag.

I felt Cena's rap came off as "you left WWE to play terrible parts in terrible movies" or "this is what you had to do to get an acting gig eg dress up like a woman, be a tooth fairy" rather than stay with the WWE.

I feel that kids view in it's context. Rock isn't gay, and Cena's just making fun of him in a school-yard level forgettable manner. The words have no venom or ill-will and is just synonms for douchebag

This is exactly the point though. It should not be seen as normal school yard stuff. Gay is NOT a synonym for douchebag. Kids watching it should not see it used in such a casual manner. Nor should adult fans either. It is cheap, lazy and pathetic.

As are the other lazy generalisations. They are insulting. Wrestling needs to move past it. As they should move past misogynistic stuff. GLAAD should not be mocked because they actually spoke out. Nor are they the first.

Edit: How do you know GLAAD don't complain about every facet of homophobia in the media they become aware of? Context is also important. There can be homophobic material in various media but we are meant to realise that in certain contexts. Whereas Cena is the lead face in a PG wrestling company. And just because others are homophobic, sexist, racist etc, it still doesn't give the WWE carte blance to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

http://glaadblog.org/2011/03/17/wwe-to-partner-with-glaad-on-anti-bullying-messages/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+glaadblog+%28GLAADBlog.org%29

And I quote:
    We are very much looking forward to developing our relationship with WWE, and we thank them both for hearing our message loud and clear, and for planning to send an anti-bullying message of their own.

It's understandable if GLAAD would kick up a fuss. A week later. ;) To be fair they're (supposedly) reacting to complaints they get and haven't even made a big stink about it. The seminar's (supposedly) enough for them.

Last time GLAAD had anything to say about WWE was when WWE (supposedly) manipulated them into supporting Billy and Chuck's 'marriage'. :p

Advertisement