Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate to be Micheal Cole right now

Options
  • 27-03-2011 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭

Just after seeing this, could be VERY bad for WWE this close to Mania
    TMZ.com has picked up the story on Michael Cole calling fellow WWE announcer Josh Matthews a "f-ggot" earlier today via Twitter. This is exactly what WWE didn't want to happen. You can expect the story to appear in numerous media outlets now that TMZ has picked it up. It's obviously not good news for WWE, especially with Michael Cole set for a main event match at WrestleMania 27 next Sunday. Here is the TMZ.com article:
    Less than two weeks after the WWE and GLAAD teamed up to say they were going to work together to curb homophobic slurs in wrestling, one of the WWE's top announcers tweeted one at a fellow announcer.
    Earlier today, Michael Cole simply tweeted one disgusting word towards fellow announcer Josh Mathews. Cole quickly took down the tweet and apologized.
    The WWE and GLAAD announced a partnership on March 17 to try and put an end to bullying based on sexual orientation after a series of homophobic taunts was made by wrestler John Cena.
    WWE said at the time: "WWE takes this issue very seriously, and has already spoken with our talent about these incidents. We are taking steps and working with GLAAD to ensure that our fans know that WWE is against bullying or discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation."
    A rep for the WWE tells TMZ, "WWE has alerted GLAAD to the situation and spoken to Michael Cole about his post. He has removed it and apologized for using hateful language. Michael will be included in the training session being done by GLAAD. WWE takes this very seriously and is against discrimination of any kind based on sexual orientation, gender, race, religion or other."
    A rep for GLAAD could not be reached for comment.
    http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2011/0326/537890/

http://www.tmz.com/2011/03/26/wwe-glaad-gay-slur-homophobic-twitter-michael-cole-josh-mathews/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Wonder will wwe e-mail TMZ & co that they are a entertainment company & not a Rasslin company.Being serious I hate wwe saying the media hate them when they report this all the while wwe pander to the media by putting Snooki in a match at Mania.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

****ing Hell, Cole. What did you think would happen? Even leaving aside the whole GLAAD thing because of Cena, how long have you been on TV?

Idiot. Power went to his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

Seems to be a non-story if Cole retracted, apologised and is getting made part of a seminar. It's already been dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Problem is, he's saying he WASNT told to retract it and did it himself.

WWE told TMZ they had him remove it and apologise.

Their damage control is all over the place. Media will blow it way out of proportion not matter what way it goes methinks.

Media will blow it way out of proportion not matter what way it goes methinks.

That sentance just describes the modern media.WWE should not pander to the media with Snooki & other crap like that. The media don't care about Vince,Wwe or Wrestling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Judging from the comments on TMZ, everyone thinks its pretty stupid calling out WWE on it. Not nearly as offensive a word as they're making out.

What was Cole actually replying to? Or did he just randomly call Mathews a bundle of sticks? ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ridley wrote: »
    What was Cole actually replying to? Or did he just randomly call Mathews a bundle of sticks? ;)

ha ha ha Martin Prince FTW.

mawbhw.jpg

it was just a harmless slag over supporting the Bears I imagine. But nobody even remotely famous or has a job that is seen by anyone can say any kind of slur.

I wonder if Cole said "douchebag" that the douche makers of America would be giving out.

I need to say this :
    F*CK EVERY COMPANY AND PERSON WHO GETS FREE MEDIA PUBLICITY BY ATTACKING WWE DURING WRESTLEMANIA SEASON.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

GTR63 wrote: »
    That sentance just describes the modern media.WWE should not pander to the media with Snooki & other crap like that. The media don't care about Vince,Wwe or Wrestling.

From the first wrestlemania there has always been stars from outside the industry involved. Why change a huge profit making organisation?

If, as ye say, the media don't care then the wwe have nothing to worry about.

Ridley is correct- a non story

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lucky he doesn't work for Sky Sports. <_< They'd have fired him on the spot and the UK media would have a field day...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

OTT PC crap is all this is.

Glaad and their ill just love an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I hope nobody from GLAAD ever plays Call of Duty online if they dont like homophobic slurs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,979 ✭✭✭cena

Well the Blackhawks were playing last night and they are all playing for a playoff spot. Just maybe Josh supports them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I think the African-American Anti-Defamation League should demand Booker T be moved off of colour commentary.... :o

davrho wrote: »
    From the first wrestlemania there has always been stars from outside the industry involved. Why change a huge profit making organisation?

If, as ye say, the media don't care then the wwe have nothing to worry about.

Ridley is correct- a non story

There was a few years when wwe didn't need celebrities to sell events.Don't remember them being needed in wwe's most recent peak period from about 99-03.WWE is only using them cause WWE are worried that Mania is likely to drop in buys like every other ppv they produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Those "seminars" must be interesting. Now lads don't cause offence to gay people, it's bad. Cheers.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I think the African-American Anti-Defamation League should demand Booker T be moved off of colour commentary.... :o

I wonder if anyone will get a sudden push like after Michael Hayes' suspension for his comments to Mark Henry. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Heel cole makes heel bully comment on twitter to face announcer a week before he has a match with other announcer?

Does anyone else think this is a little convenient?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Twitter

What a pile of ****e

And you can quote that.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Twitter

What a pile of ****e

And you can quote that.

You're the Raw GM? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Twitter

What a pile of ****e

And you can quote that.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Hilarious.

But yeah Cole deserves to get the sack after that, incredibly stupid. Funny, but totally inappropriate. Any other company would sack him/severely discipline him on the spot, but something tells me he'll get away with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Yeah I agree Cole would be sacked in most organisations for something like this, particularly organisations that are in the public eye. Dreadful timing with the backlash from the Cena homophobic stuff as well (guessing Rock won't be invited to polish The Rock's balls on Raw tonight!).

Obviously he meant it as a joke and he wasn't being homophobic. But he should know better and he should be more aware of the power of words.

Maybe Josh Mathews is a homosexual though, which would make the matter a whole lot worse for Shawn Michaels Cole.

I'm GLAAD i'm not Cole right now :D

Charisteas wrote: »
    Maybe Josh Mathews is a homosexual though, which would make the matter a whole lot worse for Shawn Michaels Cole

He is married.

To a woman too :P

Charisteas wrote: »
    I'm GLAAD i'm not Cole right now :D

Nice pun there.Can't believe people were saying the Media were overreacting.I'd pay good Money to see Michael Cole say that to Vince,it'd be Priceless to see Vince's Reaction.I hope HBCole isn't punished on screen until after Wrestlemania at least.

Nice pun there.Can't believe people were saying the Media were overreacting.I'd pay good Money to see Michael Cole say that to Vince,it'd be Priceless to see Vince's Reaction.I hope HBCole isn't punished on screen until after Wrestlemania at least.

Given Vince and the WWE's history with homophobia, I'd say he would only be upset at the negative publicity and not Michael Cole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Couldn't agree more. Anyone taking Cole's side on this lives on another planet.

Nice pun there.

No pun intended, i'm just saying Michael Cole has really dropped the soap ball on this, now he's going to have to bend over, backwards, to get back into Pat Pattersons Vince's good books.

• Advertisement

Couldn't agree more. Anyone taking Cole's side on this lives on another planet.

Well people were defending Cena's homophobic material as well, so I'm not shocked. But I agree you are correct!

Advertisement