Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T6BR April Tournament - 23rd April, 2011

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭RedDragonJack

i should be there too, I missed the last one. Don't wanna miss this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

@Triademan

I'll be there, challenge away! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mantys

Don't wanna be a bitch or anything about this, but challengers should show up for casuals this Saturday. They start at 12:00. So it's easier for them to advance even faster! And of course they can challenge AGAIN after the tournament. I mean, an additional 15-30 minutes of play will not kill anyone!

List at the moment:

1) Mantys (org)
    2) BigStupidGuy
    3) Firestarter
    4) James (?)
    5) RedDragonJack
    6) Triademan (K.O.I.F.)
    7) ...

Standings so far:

1) Skeering 82/104
    2) Eon 67 (drp)
    3) Mantys 48 (org)
    4) Triademan (K.O.I.F.) 35
    5) Aaron 33
    5) Firestarter 33
    7) NoviGlitzko 24
    8) James 20 (+3 points remaining from challenges)
    8) RedDragonJack 20
    10) Nani 14 (%drp)
    11) Ezda 11
    12) Adam 7

Here are the results after our April tournament:

1) Skeering
    2) Mantys
    3) Firestarter
    4) Aurongroove
    5) Jun_DP101
    6) RedDragonJack

After the challenges, here are standings so far:

1) Skeering 107/128
    2) Mantys 72 (org)
    3) Eon 67 (drp)
    4) Firestarter 53
    5) Aurongroove 44
    6) Triademan (K.O.I.F.) 41
    7) Aaron 33
    8) RedDragonJack 31
    9) NoviGlitzko 24
    10) Nani 14 (%drp)
    11) Jun_DP101 13
    12) Ezda 11
    13) Adam 7

Let me just say I soooo suck at this game... The final match between me and Skeering was so intense I swear a little pee came out!!! However, it wasn't enough and we tied for the first place. And I lost the tie-breaker match.
    After playing against Jeff, I was quickly put back in my place...
    @Jun: You should show up for casuals every Saturday or Sunday to be able to get more points. You obviously understand the game and you learn very quickly. If you are interested in Tekken, we'll be glad to help you. We didn't have much time today.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭RedDragonJack

Good games everyone, I lost alot as usual, but still had some good games and tekken talk. Thanks to mantys again for organising this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Glad to see you guys are sticking to this despite low turnouts. :)

I'll start playing Tekken... eventually. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Triademan

Hey George,

Little suggestion, I think you should maybe think again your calculation rate for the ranking. I d like to play the guys above me !
    And I dont understand How I can still be far from the top !!1 I played you and won but still there is 30 points beetwen us !!!

Help me there !

Ahahahaha !

TEST YOU WELL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

It works like a league table.

A relegating team aren't going to get 40 odd points for beating a team at the top, they get their regular three points.
    and likewise, you don't just pass somebody out by beating them, you get the score you deserve for winning "a game" in this case: 4 points.

these tournaments are much more about showing up then winning(and rightly so since attendance is such an issue). Yes you can go miles ahead by winning, but like anything else (assignments, exams, meetings, and yes tournaments), not going is far more costly then showing up and doing badly.
    as my points will testify, showing up and doing OK/Badly is better then winning one then vanishing.

Another trend I noticed with some of the better players was their character selection.
    A lot of people tended to use secondary characters when fighting easy players, and sometimes end up losing and then switching to their main.

Example, almost every one of my ending scores yesterday was either 3-0 victory or 3-1 loss.

my 3-0 wins (because I stuck with my main) was because I didn't give away any soft points by picking say, my Leo instead of my Baek, and waiting for her to get beat before switching on the heat.

on the other hand, a lot of people I fought against would bring out a second fiddle character to begin with or if they were ahead, which once they lost with, would switch to their better one. I would then either lose to them (in which case I should've lost 3-0 NOT 3-1) or I would still win anyways (in which case 3-0 to me)

as I play, when I win I give the least amount of points to the other player where as someone else might be up 2-0 and switch to another character.

man, I'm so far behind skeering.
    he did better then me in all the tournaments and went to all of them, whereas I've only been to two of them and a casual.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Triademan

Ok You said you far behind skeering coz he always did better than you in tourneys. Well you see that make sense.
    To me I understand the point that consistency is important, but the ratios for showing up is ridiculously too high. The most important is winning , so that s why I am raising this point now.
    We can t fnish this league and say ok this is mantys the best player in Ireland coz he showed up at all tourneys , I hope see my point now ?
    We need to take in consideration much more results that consistency.
    A solution maybe to have calculation table cleared.
    u win 1 month 10 points
    u 2nd 5 points
    u 3rd 3 points
    Thats it !!!
    And have another league with challenge. Then make the total at the end.
    Challenge league could be like :
    First to 5-
    5-0 = 5 pts for winner -0 to loser
    5-4 = 1pt winner - 0 loser
    5-3 = 2 pts winner - 0 loser
    And u can challenge only someone 4 times a year. This limit the number of times for playing the same player.
    Let me know your thoughts.
    I am happy to keep record.
    @Mantys : can you give me top 3 for each month since january ?

TEST YOU WELL :)

• Advertisement

@Aurongroove

Don't be discouraged it doesn't matter, you only need 90ish points to get invited to the final. Which you'll get (win or loose) if you just show up regularly enough.

@Mantys

Don't say you suck! Because since I just barely beat you I must suck too! :(
    Really good final match BTW. Lily vs Asuka to the end =)

@Triademan

Thanks for the session yesterday. I hope you show up more often so I can mark my progress against you!

:eek:thanks for the reply Big Stupid Guy!, can I have your autograph?

@ traideman. I'd agree with you only but the world (and especially Ireland) is not a perfect place.

these tournaments are very scarcely populated and I'm am pretty sure that if a points system similar to the one you put forward as an example were in place, that people who did badly in tournaments would be extremely unlikely to go again.
    while watching great players face one another is extremely enjoyable and worth hanging round for one you're knocked out, theese lower end players (myself included) would find it difficult to get out of beds, get on a bus, etc just to be beaten at a video game and earn nothing.

the problem with these tournaments is, there aren't enough "serious" players to actually make up a tournament. So the points system has to be set up which allows average and potentially serious players a very good incentive for showing up, i.e. the incentive that if the very good players don't attend, and they do, that they may win.

you say winning is important. well ask yourself why on earth would anyone show up to a tournament then, that they didn't have a chance of winning?
    i would go to these tournaments just as a spectator if they were bigger events, but when I go now I need to play just to fill in the numbers.
    these tournaments need to be scored the way they are or no one would come to them.

Besides you just need to be top 8 and you are. The final will be more the enough to separate the men from the boys(as it were).

:(.............I'm gonna take that as a compliment....

Oh Skeering, you're the very height of just-too-much-ery.

I will try to explain the point system here:

Each player gets one attendance point for each player who paid the entrance fee.

Example: 10 players showed up and paid 5 euro. Each player gets 10 points.
    Reason why: Show up!

For each win in a match against a player, you get one point. You get an additional point for winning that match.

Example: Skeering vs Mantys. Result: 3:2. Points awarded: Skeering: 4 Mantys: 2
    Reason: Keep winning!

Player challenging a player above him in the standings can get up to 3 points to advance faster, but will never get above that player by just challenging that player. he needs to beat that player in an actual tournament.

Example: Mantys is at 15 points. Skeering is at 20 points. No matter how many times I win a challenge against that player I will never get above 20 points unless I beat that player in an actual tournament.
    Reason: (don't laugh at this) Knee decides to come to our last tournament before the finals. He has no points. Everybody knows that he will beat us all. But he can't get to the first place just by showing up to ONE tournament, even if he is better than everybody. All the other players consistently showed up and paid the entrance fee. That's the point.

This system was made ONLY for one reason: To end that stupid childish dispute about WHO IS THE BEST PLAYER IN IRELAND. I personally think it's Jeff. And more people have the same opinion. However, to provide proof, he needs to win in the tournaments. One tournament can easily provide up to 30 points for a player.

And at least: THESE ARE ONLY QUALIFIERS. IT WILL NOT MATTER HOW MANY POINTS YOU HAVE IN THE FINALS. THIS ONLY TELLS ME WHO DESERVES TO BE IN THE FINALS. IT SHOWS ME WHO IS WILLING TO PLAY EVEN WITH BEGINNERS. IT SHOWS ME WHO IS CONSISTENT, WHO SWALLOWS THEIR PRIDE AND PLAYS EVEN AGAINST WEAK PLAYERS JUST TO SHOW THE POINT.

I hope it makes sense.

@Jeff: Basically, if you entered that tournament, you'd have 67 points now and be in the 2nd place. 'Cos you'd win it all.

@all: I am actually talking to our "sponsor" at the moment and there maybe will be some prizes for lower ranked players as well. I can't promise anything "really cool" but ... you know the story.

OUU, I didn't know there was actual "showing up" points

In this respect I would agree with Triademan; points for just registering is not much use to anyone.

In my last post when I said people need incentive to come, the incentive I meant was, points they can earn without needing to win the entire tournament. not just points for finding the gaming centre.

i.e.

Skeering and I go to a tournament
    he wins the tournament with say
    3-0
    3-1
    3-1
    3-2(final)

and I lose,
    1-3
    3-0
    3-2
    2-3

Skeering gets 16pt for his matches and perhaps a bonus of 9 points for coming first so 25 points of whatever

I get 11 points (9 for bouts, and 2 for the two wins) so at least I'm a good 3-4 wins over someone who hasn't shown up, meakes me feel like I didn't waste my time going.

It was this I was referring to as incentive to show up and play even when you know you'll only do so well. this way you know unless you do horrendously badly that you'll at least still get points for each bout you win.

I reckon points for literally "registering" is a little silly. (not trying to poke holes) I don't think I've seen anyone at the tournament who seems incapable of winning a bout.
    I always finish among bottom three, but even I get the occasional 3-2 loss or 3-2 win.

again sorry Mantys I'm not trying to poke holes. but as far as points for registration go, I don't see them being any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 nani

Hey Mantys!

Let me know about the next tournament dates. I will be coming to that one - pretty sure about it.
    Just, I will need some directions on getting from the bus station to the cafe.

Hope to see everyone else there.

I think people should get points for turning up, they are after all supporting the Tekken community and deserve something for that. Having said that though perhaps 10 is a bit much...

Sorry don't mean to offend anyone I am just trying to contribute here! :)

That is exactly why the points are there for showing up. You have to understand that if even 50 people show up, it means that the winner can earn more than 250 points so those 50 for coming are nearly redundant. And for James, it's not points for finding the cafe, but for paying the fee.

The next tournament will be on 28th May. It's Saturday. If Nani can't find the place or the way there, I can come wait for you at the bus stop. Which one is it?

Good luck to everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 nani

I will be set out prabably in the central bus station. Any directions from there would be what I need.

Don't worry about it Nani, I will be there and I'll show you the way.:D Ok? So is it Bus Aras or Connolly Station?

May thread coming soon!

Advertisement