Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New iMac Owner!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Applecare = Extended Warranty = bad value for money.

I agree that you get peace of mind but at the end of the day you are not getting good value for money. Life is all about assessing risks and in the case of consumer goods you could throw all of your money at protecting everything you own but all you'd be doing is lining the pockets of insurance companies.

I repeat what I said earlier, replacing an out of warranty gearbox in a car will cost you far more than a new iMac but only a tiny percentage of car owners purchase extended warranties, the rest of us are prepared to take the risk.

Apple are looking for E179 to cover my iMac for years two and three. Given that the memory upgrade from 4GB to 8GB is E200 on the Apple store while I can buy the same memory from elara.ie for E53, I think I'll give the Applecare package a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

coylemj wrote: »
    Applecare = Extended Warranty = bad value for money.

I agree that you get peace of mind but at the end of the day you are not getting good value for money. Life is all about assessing risks and in the case of consumer goods you could throw all of your money at protecting everything you own but all you'd be doing is lining the pockets of insurance companies.

I repeat what I said earlier, replacing an out of warranty gearbox in a car will cost you far more than a new iMac but only a tiny percentage of car owners purchase extended warranties, the rest of us are prepared to take the risk.

Apple are looking for E179 to cover my iMac for years two and three. Given that the memory upgrade from 4GB to 8GB is E200 on the Apple store while I can buy the same memory from elara.ie for E53, I think I'll give the Applecare package a miss.

you can find legitimate apple care plans on ebay for a lot less then that. of course if you are fundamentally against insurance then its a bad investment but if you are like the majority of people and prefer the peace of mind then you can get that peace of mind for fairly cheap on ebay

I havnt purchased apple care yet but I will more then likely do it right before the year long limit is up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

What actually gets covered under applecare?

What actually gets covered by applecare?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

• Advertisement

Yes. But I mean if you crack your screen is that covered? If you drop the laptop and the HHD stops working? CD drive fails? dead pixels? damaged pixels? battery dies a natural death? Cracked the case? logic board? etc Or do they just give you a new laptop if the hdd or logic board fails?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yes. But I mean if you crack your screen is that covered?
    No.
    If you drop the laptop and the HHD stops working?
    No.
    CD drive fails?
    By itself - yes.
    dead pixels?
    Yes. But they used to require that there be a cluster of them. I'm not sure if that's still the policy.
    damaged pixels?
    Damaged by the user? No.
    battery dies a natural death?
    A natural death, after the expected number of cycles, no.
    Cracked the case?
    If it's a design fault, yes, even outside of warranty as the recent cracked case thread showed.
    logic board? etc Or do they just give you a new laptop if the hdd or logic board fails?
    They'll replace the parts. But if you've had about 3 repairs or so you can usually demand a replacement.

AppleCare is an extended warranty, not insurance.

OK, I dont know. So 250 to make sure the laptop lasts three years, except for damage you cause and the battery. There is always the chance the cd could fail or the ram or the logic board. Plus there is a huge chance the HDD could fail. Buy it if you can afford it and want peace of mind. That said you could get a decent ssd for 250 euro if/when your hdd fails.

Plus there is a huge chance the HDD could fail. Buy it if you can afford it and want peace of mind. That said you could get a decent ssd for 250 euro if/when your hdd fails.

I have been using laptops since the early 1990s, usually they got replaced after 4 years and I have never had a laptop HDD failure.

PeakOutput wrote: »
    you can find legitimate apple care plans on ebay for a lot less then that. of course if you are fundamentally against insurance then its a bad investment but if you are like the majority of people and prefer the peace of mind then you can get that peace of mind for fairly cheap on ebay

I am not fundamentally against insurance, it's just that I have watched a small cross-section of the TV consumer programs which have all come to the same conclusion: extended warranties are bad value for money and given the high prices that Apple charges for all of it's products, their extended warranty is even worse value for money than the norm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement