Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New iMac Owner!!!

Options
  • 26-03-2011 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wanted to post that I just received my FIRST iMac yesterday by courier direct from Apple.

It's a refurb & I am TOTALLY delighted with it & the service from Apple.

I ordered by phone on Wednesday afternoon & by 4.20pm Friday, it was sitting on my kitchen table!!!:D

I want to say thanks to all you Mac people:cool: who took the time to post advice which I gladly took...!:o

I didn't know Apple sold directly & was about to buy one from PCWorld until I read the thread stickies here!:rolleyes:

The one I would have ended up with was running outdated software & was shop soiled but was costing 200 euro more than a brand new up to date model direct from Apple with a higher spec processor, graphics card, etc.!!

So an HUGE thank you to everyone for helping this poor computer illiterate eejit & saving me from a costly mistake.

PS I've always been a fan of Mac but could never afford one...I still have my old Performa 400 (now I'm showing my age!!).:eek:

I've been stuck in the PC trap for about 15 years now....BUT no more!

The initial cost of any Apple computer is soon regained over time compared to using a PC, IMHO!!

No doubt I'll be posting looking for any help & advice from you all...so please feel free to offer any that springs to mind...e.g. recommended software, etc.:o

This is the model I bought;:)

Refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor

Originally released July 2010
    21.5-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory
    1TB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics with 512MB memory
    Built-in iSight camera

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Congrats... very nice buy!

Now go and enjoy! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Before you know it you'll have an iPhone, iPad and a Macbook to go with that machine

• Registered Users Posts: 25,392 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Congrats on your purchase. If you feel the need to upgrade the memory, going from 4GB to 8GB will cost you Eur 200 on the Apple store, I bought the same memory from elara.ie for Eur 78, the price today is just Eur 53. It's Kingston memory, you'll need two of these and installing them is eazy peazy, the Apple details are in the grey bar above the price.....

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MME3428100

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭gartcork

keredern wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just wanted to post that I just received my FIRST iMac yesterday by courier direct from Apple.

It's a refurb & I am TOTALLY delighted with it & the service from Apple.

I ordered by phone on Wednesday afternoon & by 4.20pm Friday, it was sitting on my kitchen table!!!:D

I want to say thanks to all you Mac people:cool: who took the time to post advice which I gladly took...!:o

I didn't know Apple sold directly & was about to buy one from PCWorld until I read the thread stickies here!:rolleyes:

The one I would have ended up with was running outdated software & was shop soiled but was costing 200 euro more than a brand new up to date model direct from Apple with a higher spec processor, graphics card, etc.!!

So an HUGE thank you to everyone for helping this poor computer illiterate eejit & saving me from a costly mistake.

PS I've always been a fan of Mac but could never afford one...I still have my old Performa 400 (now I'm showing my age!!).:eek:

I've been stuck in the PC trap for about 15 years now....BUT no more!

The initial cost of any Apple computer is soon regained over time compared to using a PC, IMHO!!

No doubt I'll be posting looking for any help & advice from you all...so please feel free to offer any that springs to mind...e.g. recommended software, etc.:o

This is the model I bought;:)

Refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor

Originally released July 2010
    21.5-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory
    1TB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics with 512MB memory
    Built-in iSight camera

Once you go mac you won't go back! ;) Enjoy, great purchase.

coylemj wrote: »
    Congrats on your purchase. If you feel the need to upgrade the memory, going from 4GB to 8GB will cost you Eur 200 on the Apple store, I bought the same memory from elara.ie for Eur 78, the price today is just Eur 53. It's Kingston memory, you'll need two of these and installing them is eazy peazy, the Apple details are in the grey bar above the price.....

Just bought extra 4GB Ram there....great spot, thanks a lot. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Lovely

You cant beat a Mac

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Thanks for the info & the link.

Not that IT savvy so just how easy is this to do?:confused:

And if I did upgrade the RAM myself, would this affect the warranty??

Thanks for all the great comments guys...I'm like a child on Christmas morning!!:D:D

Silvine, I have a HTC Desire HD which is out of this world so will not be needing an iPhone just yet...or indeed an iPad!!!:p

Now a Macbook....hmmmmmm...might just check adverts.ie!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

replacing the memory is a user replaceable part so it will not void the warranty
    it is a panel on the bottom of the iMac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP, what did it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Showing €1249 for the iMac the op bought at the moment.

If you don't mind .14Ghz less clock speed and a smaller hard drive and graphics card then you can get one for only €999! Bargain in my opinion.

Don't forget the iMac is overdue a refresh and apparently just around the corner with Sandy Bridge & Thunderbolt. Might be worth waiting for depending on your requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

gartcork wrote: »
    Once you go mac you won't go back! ;) Enjoy, great purchase.

Just bought extra 4GB Ram there....great spot, thanks a lot. :D

did you buy just 4gb of ram or 2 x 4gb ram?

• Advertisement

@ keredern

best advice I can give you is something that got me at the start of my mac honeymoon and that is: to remove software on a mac you has to download a software removal application, see link below for one such application and a few other handy apps for you to look at ;)

http://m.cultofmac.com/50-mac-essentials-24-appcleaner/76547

whoopdedoo wrote: »
    did you buy just 4gb of ram or 2 x 4gb ram?

2 x 2gb ram. I went from 4gb to 8gb. Less than €63 including delivery to Cork.

I'll wait a year or two before I upgrade to 16gb ram ;)

gartcork wrote: »
    2 x 2gb ram. I went from 4gb to 8gb. Less than €63 including delivery to Cork.

I'll wait a year or two before I upgrade to 16gb ram ;)

wowy wee wa, what machine you got? I've got a 2009 iMac so best I can hope for in a couple of years time is an upgrade to 8gb ram and maybe a more reasonably priced ssd to replace the sata drive, I'm hoping that'll do me for another couple of years then :)

whoopdedoo wrote: »
    wowy wee wa, what machine you got? I've got a 2009 iMac so best I can hope for in a couple of years time is an upgrade to 8gb ram and maybe a more reasonably priced ssd to replace the sata drive, I'm hoping that'll do me for another couple of years then :)

2010 27" iMac i5. It supports up to 4 x 4gb ram. :)
    I'm hoping this will do me for many years to come.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

Now I'm feckin jealous!

Did you buy a backup drive?

http://www.glodark.com/computer.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

CongratsOP, and thanks for the RAM tip, just ordered 2 modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭backthephilup

Congrats OP i made the switch myself about two months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

WANT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

banquo wrote: »
    WANT.

GET.

I got an iPhone 4 first, never used any Apple products before. After I had a taste of iOS and a 'good, solid user experience' I bought an iMac. Now yesterday an iPad and my OH has an iPhone 3GS..

It's contagious!

funkyflea wrote: »
    GET.

I got an iPhone 4 first, never used any Apple products before. After I had a taste of iOS and a 'good, solid user experience' I bought an iMac. Now yesterday an iPad and my OH has an iPhone 3GS..

It's contagious!

The morketing people call it the 'halo effect'....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_effect#As_a_business_model

• Advertisement

I already have the first signs of this mega contagious disease...a rash on my typing fingers!!!

Thank you everyone for all the great replys & suggestions!

Keep them coming!!!

An alternative to buying 2 x 2GB to upgrade the memory from 4GB to 8GB on an i3/i5 might be to replace the existing 2 x 2GB memory with 2 x 4GB which will cost you more (Eur 85) than adding 2 x 2GB (Eur 53) but the eventual upgrade to 16GB will cost less since you will only have to buy 2 x 4GB DIMMs instead of 4.

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1927022&productID=S7699985

I don't know if 2 x 2GB and 2 x 4GB can co-exist, I'm assuming they can not.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

OP, Congrats and welcome to the MAC world.
    A word of warning however, I would advise you strongly
    to purchase AppleCare for your imac.
    The software is excellent as you will discover but
    the same cannot be said for all Apple hardware.
    I spent over 2k in late 2009 on a 27" iMAC i7.
    Hard drive went after 12 months, upon getting it back
    the fans were running at full blast all the time and as I
    type this the machine is back again to an Apple Service
    Provider for a new screen/backlight.
    All repairs covered under AppleCare I must stress but
    am less than impressed with the Imac hardware, I'm 15 years
    working on macs without any real major problems but that was on G4's
    G5's and MacPro's.
    I don't wish to dampen your enthusiasm for your new machine
    but it is worth doing in my experience and will give you
    peace of mind for 3 years.

Oh cripes!!! That's not good!!!:(

I always intended to purchase the extended warranty but your story has certainly unnerved me!!:eek:

I know that was not your intention & that not every machine will suffer the same fate!!:rolleyes:

But it is certainly a lesson worth learning...& not the hard way!

Thank you for your excellent advice!

The morketing people call it the 'halo effect'....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_effect#As_a_business_model

It's what I call a bloody big credit card bill! Believe

BTW, what's the point in getting more than 4GB RAM. I've a 2010 iMac with 4GB and the only thing I can think that would make is faster is SSD?

Also, I had screen problems my iMac. Apple replaced it for me as it was under warranty. Does anyone know if you can buy Apple Care several months after purchase?

Mac apps you should consider:

Scrivener, Transmission, Dropbox, SRS iWOW, Bean, Pages, Papers, Alfred, Hazel, Starcraft 2 and Growl.

Also the iMac speakers aren't fantastic. The audioaffair.co.uk sell decent ones. Check out the A20s.

Jabel wrote: »
    OP, Congrats and welcome to the MAC world.
    A word of warning however, I would advise you strongly
    to purchase AppleCare for your imac.
    The software is excellent as you will discover but
    the same cannot be said for all Apple hardware.
    I spent over 2k in late 2009 on a 27" iMAC i7.
    Hard drive went after 12 months, upon getting it back
    the fans were running at full blast all the time and as I
    type this the machine is back again to an Apple Service
    Provider for a new screen/backlight.
    All repairs covered under AppleCare I must stress but
    am less than impressed with the Imac hardware, I'm 15 years
    working on macs without any real major problems but that was on G4's
    G5's and MacPro's.
    I don't wish to dampen your enthusiasm for your new machine
    but it is worth doing in my experience and will give you
    peace of mind for 3 years.

I'm sorry but that just doesn't stack up - you had no problem for 15 years and now just because you got a turkey you recommend that every Mac purchaser pays for an extended warranty?

May I ask if you paid for an extended warranty on your car? A gearbox failure on a car would cost a lot more to fix than the price of a new iMac.

If iMacs had an inherent problem with h/w unreliability then Apple would have sorted it by now in order to preserve their extremely valuable brand name. You appear to have been unlucky but this type of thing happens with cars, ovens, vacuum cleaners and all sorts of consumer goods.

The exception does not prove the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Nice one hope all goes well with your new mac:D
    Last mac i used was running osx tiger 10.4 i think it was(long time ago)
    they are easy to get used to imo and much better than alot of linux distros out there!

id say alot has changed since OSX tiger .that mac i used to use only had 512mb of ram :rolleyes: it ran great for over 4years then started to slow down alot really needed a ram upgrade it did once you have a ram of over 1GB you should be flying along:)

All the best ..:P:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

I'm sorry but that just doesn't stack up - you had no problem for 15 years and now just because you got a turkey you recommend that every Mac purchaser pays for an extended warranty?

May I ask if you paid for an extended warranty on your car? A gearbox failure on a car would cost a lot more to fix than the price of a new iMac.

If iMacs had an inherent problem with h/w unreliability then Apple would have sorted it by now in order to preserve their extremely valuable brand name. You appear to have been unlucky but this type of thing happens with cars, ovens, vacuum cleaners and all sorts of consumer goods.

The exception does not prove the rule.

As I said 15 years virtually trouble free would have led most people
    to buy without Applecare. This is my first Mac for home use and to me
    a 2k outlay was worth insuring.
    Unfortunately I have been proven right to purchase Applecare and
    boy I'm glad I did it now. Indeed it appears I have been sold a turkey and any more failures and the machine is going back for good.
    While my experience may be 'an exception' I would not be the only one who would recommend Applecare.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I would generally recommend getting AppleCare as well. But not because I think Apple hardware is less reliable than it used to be or less reliable than any other computer manufacturer. It's just good to have.

Although it should be pointed out that under Irish law you are entitled to get any faults repaired by the seller for free anyway.

12 months for a hard drive is actually kinda good imo. It doesn't matter who makes them or what computer they are put in, hard drives are not reliable.

Advertisement