Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon now ships large TV's to Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

To be fair though it would be good to ask them to price match, at least give them the opportuniy of a sale and also make them aware what their competitors are doing. (of course they should know this already)

TheCaveman wrote: »
    What I did, and this sould be a rule for everybody that read this, go to Powercity / PC World / Curry's

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Allyall wrote: »
    That works out at €277 :D:D:D
    I bought that TV in Jan from D.I.D for €369 in the sales and it was the best price around. It's a lovely TV.

But best of all? It's easy-peasy to unlock, and once done, it has a built in Media player that even plays MKV files.. :D

unlock?what do you mean unlock?

Soarer wrote: »
    I know Revenue certainly care about where it's stocked.

Not such an issue with amazon as they pay Irish VAT on their sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭TheCaveman

Tony wrote: »
    To be fair though it would be good to ask them to price match, at least give them the opportuniy of a sale and also make them aware what their competitors are doing. (of course they should know this already)

Well, i did that,

I went into PC World, looked at the TV, it was €150 more than on Amazon. After the GF and I waited like 20 min, and all sales persons was either busy talking to each other, or just not interested, we approched them, and, they told us they could drop maybee €10 from the price....

Than, I contacted Richersounds on here, asked them same question, sent 2 pm's few days apart, and still did not hear back from them.

So, at least Amazon have them in stock, ships ASAP, and are cheaper.

And, yes, I did pay vat on the TV, so Mr Revenue will be just as happy as I am now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

crazygeryy wrote: »
    unlock?what do you mean unlock?

The ld450 has certain features disabled, you can reenable them with a series of key presses on a remote.

• Advertisement

yes, if you google it, you will find it quite easily, how to unlock the USB port on the TV, in order to unlock the Meda Center built into the TV, that allows you to play your legally downloaded films ,including MVK on it

Sorry I did not mean to suggest that you did not do this, meant it more as a suggestion for other people thinking of taking adavantage of this.
    Well, i did that,

I'm really surprised that richer sounds did not get back to you as I know the owner takes customer care very seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

What's the difference between "Full HD" and "Freeview HD"? Would a Full HD tv not show HD on any platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,426 ✭✭✭✭ted1

full hd is 1080 resolution
    he ready is 720 resolution

freeview HD is different. the above two are saying talking purely about the resolution. freeview HD is saying that it has a onboard tuner that can recive and display UK terristal in HD.

you more than likely will not recieve terrestial uk channels in Ireland however being Freeview HD compatible means you can pick up the digital Irish terristal channels.

www.saorview.ie for more info on the irish vresion of freeview.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

bmaxi wrote: »
    What's the difference between "Full HD" and "Freeview HD"? Would a Full HD tv not show HD on any platform?

If you plan to use the TV to watch Saorview then you need to take care in terms of what you buy. So far the Samsung and the LG Models discussed in this thread seemed to have worked for Saorview for those that ordered through Amazon.

See the discussion on this thread on the Terrestrial for some explanation of Freeview/ Freeeview HD /Full HD in the context of Saorview
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056219671

In particular read point no. 3 in the long post by Watty. (my understanding of his post is that some Freeview (i.e not Freeview HD) TVs may still be compatible with Saorview. But you need to proceed with caution.

TNT HD capability (and MHEG5 ideally) is what you need to look out for. But as far as I can see, Amazon do not provide much in the way of a tech sheet for the TVs they sell.

So you need to go back to the manufacturers website, look up the model in question and try to find the tech info. Alternatively, confine yourself to TVs that others in this thread have ordered from Amazon and have verified as working with Saorview.

• Advertisement

I am not sure, but, TV is deffo Saorview compliant, the one I got.

What I did, and this sould be a rule for everybody that read this, go to Powercity / PC World / Curry's

Pick the 2 TV's you like the most, find out all you can from it in the shop. Note the model number, than, go check the price an amazon, and the cheaper of the 2, buy it, and save a lot of money

That is what I did

To make yourself feel even better about how much you are saving have a look at the Argos catalogue. The LG LD450 42 inch is advertised for € 629.99 :eek: in the Spring/Summer 2011 edition. Its about €420 from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Trevord wrote: »
    To make yourself feel even better about how much you are saving have a look at the Argos catalogue. The LG LD450 42 inch is advertised for € 629.99 :eek: in the Spring/Summer 2011 edition. Its about €420 from Amazon.

Currently at €559.99

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=13352&langId=111&searchTerms=LG+42LD450&authToken=

That is the one i got, and the figure that came off me Credit Card was €409 :D

That is the one i got, and the figure that came off me Credit Card was €409 :D

Can you confirm that the Mheg5 worked for the new RTE teletext thingy and that you have the HD version of RTE2 ?

I use it in the bedroom....

The only thing that is plugged into it is the WD Live box

But, when I switched it on first time, it asked for Language, and country, and once I said Ireland, it started the scan process, and asked me how I want to store the channels, but I wasnt paying to much attention to it , and I just cancelled it

I use it in the bedroom....

The only thing that is plugged into it is the WD Live box

But, when I switched it on first time, it asked for Language, and country, and once I said Ireland, it started the scan process, and asked me how I want to store the channels, but I wasnt paying to much attention to it , and I just cancelled it

So that means you did not confirm for sure that the actual tv that was delivered does proper Saorview ?

Granted the model you picked should do Saorview but before others take the plunge it would be nice to have someone confirm that the LG LD450 for sale in the shops here is identical to the one one shipped by Amazon and that the Amazon one isn't some special version of that model specifically for the UK market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Granted the model you picked should do Saorview but before others take the plunge it would be nice to have someone confirm that the LG LD450 for sale in the shops here is identical to the one one shipped by Amazon and that the Amazon one isn't some special version of that model specifically for the UK market.

There has been a lot of discussion of this in the TV forum. For what it is worth the conclusion was that Panasonic and Phillips were selling models crippled by firmware in different markets, but that Samsung and LG really only had one Euro model. Which is not to say that the LD450 does Saorview.

It would be good if someone with an aerial would try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭finbarrk

If you purchase a TV with a Freeview HD tuner it will work with Saorview which officially launches next month.

Can we be sure of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

finbarrk wrote: »
    Can we be sure of that?
    Have a look through the Terrestrial forum and you'll soon see that you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

finbarrk wrote: »
    Can we be sure of that?

As a general rule yes.There are some exceptions. Some may not be fully compatible though will deliver Saorview and some brands are better than others.

See Wattys post #5 here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71364939&postcount=5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The only TVs that are officially saorview certified are listed on saorview.ie.

Other TVs may be saorview compatible but do not carry the official saorview certification.

ardmacha wrote: »
    There has been a lot of discussion of this in the TV forum. For what it is worth the conclusion was that Panasonic and Phillips were selling models crippled by firmware in different markets, but that Samsung and LG really only had one Euro model. Which is not to say that the LD450 does Saorview.

It would be good if someone with an aerial would try it.

Ok, I will plug in a ariel lunchtime, and let you all know

I do apologise for not awnsering your questions better. As i did not relise people out there were decieding based on that if they will buy this TV or Not

I will set the record straight, and will take a picture or 2 to prove my findings, whether it works or not

So, please check back around 3pm today for my results

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Is anyone else getting the stock "no delivering tv's to Ireland" message again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

skywalker wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting the stock "no delivering tv's to Ireland" message again :(

I tried 7 TVs and only one wouldn't ship ( using amazon eu s.a.r.l )

Make sure Amazon is the seller, just tried it with a 60" and it worked

Can you boys try these for me then? Both are sold by Amazon, & Ive tried addressess in both Dublin & Meath with no joy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0039SLYIM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-P50G20B-50-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B0039SLYGE

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

Can you boys try these for me then? Both are sold by Amazon, & Ive tried addressess in both Dublin & Meath with no joy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0039SLYIM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-P50G20B-50-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B0039SLYGE

Yes those 2 cannot be shipped for me either

Important Message

The following items cannot be shipped to the addresses you selected. (Learn more.) You may either change the shipping addresses or remove the items by clicking Delete.
    • Panasonic TX-P50G20B 50-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 600Hz Neo Plasma TV with Freeview HD and Freesat HD cannot be shipped to the selected address.
    • Panasonic TX-P50S20B 50-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 600Hz Plasma TV with Freeview HD cannot be shipped to the selected address.

Nooooooooooo. I had the cheaper one order yesterday fine, & then the other came into stock this morning so cancelled the orig one to order that, & much to my horror Im now coming up against this message now for them both! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Problem seems to be with 50" Panasonics, I can order 42" Panasonics or 50" other brands.
    This happens with Amazon sometimes, for no good reason they won't supply certain items from certain suppliers.

• Advertisement

Yeah Ive done a bit of checking with various models & those seem to be some of the small selection they now wont ship, really annoyed cause they're the ones I have my heart set on. Balls to it anyway.

Advertisement