Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Luck in GAMSAT 2011!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wilhelmet

Haha magic eight ball would be very handy! I was at the UL open day and I liked the look of it and all those campus bars were a lot better than ucds!:P I did my undergrad in ucd and i'd also be happy to go back there cos I loved it too! Cork sounds amazing with the small class size and cork is such a great place. I have UCD, UCC and UL anyway on cao I'll be delighted with anywhere basically this has been a long time coming..!!

Hey Neuro,

While you were in UL, did you get any idea of how the new Medical Building is coming along? I've seen artists impressions of it, and it looks lovely, but I heard the contractors went broke, and construction has stopped, meaning completion is delayed. Would love to hear if you saw anything. Many thanks.. W : )

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sparrow3

Jaysus this waiting around is killing me - 38 more days to go !

Similar to Wilhelmet and Neuro, im applying with a score achieved in UK Sept 2010. Please God the number of people utilising previous scores isnt too great to cause an increase in points for UCD/RCSI.

My thinking on the whole issue of previous scores is that it is pretty much a constant - each year, a proportion of people will apply with scores achieved in previous sittings and the percentile curves have not changed dramatically in last 2 years.

Last year, there was a very small increase in places (UL) and points didnt increase substantially (bar RCSI). The fact that there are fewer applicants this year ( whether these are people who sat the March Exam or the Sept Exam in UK is unknown) and a large increase in places in UCD and UL gives me hope that points are not going to change substantially.

Wilhelmet - in relation to your question about UL's Med Building - the project is stalled at the moment. The builder originally commissioned to construct the building went into recievership after constructing only the shell of the building. The problem at present relates to who takes responsibility for the work already done. UL want whatever builder who comes in to be responsible for all work done in constructing the building while the interested builders are unwilling to accept any potential liability on work already done by a different builder - from my understanding and what people have told me, this dispute is what is holding up construction but it should be sorted before the end of the year.

The reality is that we have a significant less number of applicants (people who sat Gamsat in UK 2010 and Ire 2011) compared to last year

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭EugeneOnegin

Haha magic eight ball would be very handy! I was at the UL open day and I liked the look of it and all those campus bars were a lot better than ucds!:P I did my undergrad in ucd and i'd also be happy to go back there cos I loved it too! Cork sounds amazing with the small class size and cork is such a great place. I have UCD, UCC and UL anyway on cao I'll be delighted with anywhere basically this has been a long time coming..!!

Yeah back to the alma mater eh? I'm still considering whether that's a good thing or a bad thing :D To be honest though, all the courses have their pros and cons. I'm sure, wherever we get (assuming we do!!!) we'll settle in pas problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭hurdygurdy85

Well we're one step closer to the end with the final closure of the change of mind today. Hurry up with the offers!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 MedGal

Offers out 3rd Aug. I mailed CAO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 melanie87

MedGal wrote: »

So just over 4 weeks?

I feel sick thinking about it!

Hey ya'll,

Wonder if I could ask for an opinion. One of my friends caught up with me over the weekend only to tell me they got a 58 in GAMSAT and are applying only to UCD and RCSI. I didn't want to be too negative when chatting to her, but what do you think? Is there chance for her getting UCD? I don't know much about the UCD course either tbh as I'm set on staying in Munster.

Any information/opinions on the matter???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

Hey ya'll,

Wonder if I could ask for an opinion. One of my friends caught up with me over the weekend only to tell me they got a 58 in GAMSAT and are applying only to UCD and RCSI. I didn't want to be too negative when chatting to her, but what do you think? Is there chance for her getting UCD? I don't know much about the UCD course either tbh as I'm set on staying in Munster.

I'd be suprised, her problem if she doesn't apply to the other schools :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭del85

Hey ya'll,

Her chances aren't great.

I have a 60, and I'm not holding out much hope for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭pollypigwash

I've just received an email from UL about their scholarship programme. I would have liked to applied but I can't see how I can given it's 3rd on my list of choices, but I expect to get offered my first choice.

It's leaving it very late by UL, they've requested forms be sent in by 29th July only days before the first round offers come out. Does this mean that only those that accept an offer with UL will then be considered? I definitely would go to UL if I could get a grant (I'd go anyways if I was offered a place). It's a bit sh!t. anyway here's the text of the email
    Dear Applicant,
    We note that you have expressed a preference through the CAO for LM101 Graduate Entry Medicine at the University of Limerick.
    We are writing to inform you about the UL Graduate Entry Medical School Scholarship Scheme 2011. This Scheme is targeted at socio-economically disadvantaged students applying for the Graduate Entry Medical Programme in 2011.
    The criteria considered under this Scheme are inter-alia: under-represented socio-economic groups in higher education, social welfare dependence and limited family income. Further information about the Scholarship Scheme is available on the Graduate Entry Medical School’s web site at: www.ul.ie/medicalschool
    If you believe you meet the above criteria and wish to be considered for the Graduate Entry Medical School Scholarship Scheme, you must complete the application form which is available to download from the Graduate Entry Medical School website www.ul.ie/medicalschool . Completed forms must be received via email to medicalschool@ul.ie or via post to Scholarship Programme, Graduate Entry Medical School, E1-025, University of Limerick, Limerick by 5pm Friday July 29 2011. LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
    Please note that all applicants to LM101 are being contacted in relation to this scholarship regardless of whether they satisfy minimum entry and GAMSAT requirements. This email has no bearing on the determination of your eligibility for admission to LM101. The assessment of your application is based on the detail you provided to the Central Applications Office (CAO) who communicate with you separately in relation to same.
    Kind regards
    Scholarship Committee
    UL Graduate Entry Medical School
    Room E1-025
    Email: medicalschool@ul.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Hey ya'll,

58 is probably a bit too low for UCD this year. Probably. But probably not by much due to the 40% increase in places.

Hey ya'll,

I think that if she has her heart set on Dublin-which I can understand as a lot of people don't want to relocate to Limerick/Cork, then she will prob have to re-sit the GAMSAT. 58 will deffo get her into UL. Maybe UCC. But (and I could be proved very wrong as the cut-offs might be much lower this year due to extra places) I don't think 58 will be enough for UCD. And deffo not RCSI. I have a feeling that the points will go up again after this year once the difference between applicants & this years' increase in places is balanced. So maybe it wasn't a wise decision to exclude non-Dublin colleges.
    Lots of people have repeated and gotten into a
    Dublin college so it is possible if thats what it comes down to. I hope it works out for her though!

I've just received an email from UL about their scholarship programme. I would have liked to applied but I can't see how I can given it's 3rd on my list of choices, but I expect to get offered my first choice.

It's leaving it very late by UL, they've requested forms be sent in by 29th July only days before the first round offers come out. Does this mean that only those that accept an offer with UL will then be considered? I definitely would go to UL if I could get a grant (I'd go anyways if I was offered a place). It's a bit sh!t. anyway here's the text of the email

I just got this aswell. I dont know whether they left it so late to inform us on purpose or not. If they had informed us before 1st July it might have changed my choices. Can't knock a free medical degree + living expenses. Very badly organised this year. Im the same as you now, its 3rd on my list and my score will prob (hopefully) get me an offer from the first two choices. Prob no point even applying for the scholarship. I even sent them an email months ago asking if they were going ahead with it this year and got no reply.
    As coined in Father Ted, "Shoddy workmanship". Not impressed. :mad:

Thanks for the all input guys :D Unfortunately, I share your viewpoints.

Looks like she'll have to re-sit alright, but here's hoping that herself and indeed everyone else gets a deserved place. 58 is good score after all, maybe not good enough to compete with the world and his mother who are applying to RSCI and UCD.

I read that e-mail from UL today also, but it does look like it's targetted solely at those considered socio-economically disadvantaged. Strange to offer a scholarship when the banks are more than willing to grant the special loan products for GEM students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 watawaster

Anybody have any idea what UL's definition of 'socio-economically disadvantaged' would be? :confused:

I'm thinking it's aimed at those who may be for e.g. supporting a family + have a mortgage, and the likes, whereby the GEM loan would not be a viable option.. or may be refused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 watawaster

spagboll wrote: »
    RCSI
    Tuition Fees 25780
    HEA Grant -11000
    RCSI Grant -1200
    Tuition Payable 13,580
    Student Contribution Fee 2000
    IT Fee 475
    Vaccination Fee (first year only) 250
    NUI (first year only) 135
    Student Centre Levy n/a
    TOTAL 16,440

UCD
    Tuition Fees
    HEA Grant
    RCSI Grant
    Tuition Payable 13,915
    Student Contribution Fee n/a
    IT Fee n/a
    Vaccination Fee (first year only) 230
    NUI (first year only) n/a
    Student Centre Levy 154
    TOTAL 14,299

Will people please add in UL and UCC ( i dont have figures), this would be very helpful for applicants. Also we could compare the loan packages in a similar manner

Did ya'll notice that UL updated their fees?.....

EU fees for 2011/12 are €13,915.
    The first instalment is paid prior to registration and a bank giro form will be sent out with the orientation packs.
    The second instalment is due on 20th January 2012.
    Non EU: €38,500.

watawaster wrote: »

RCSI
    Tuition Fees 25780
    HEA Grant -11000
    RCSI Grant -1200
    Tuition Payable 13,580
    Student Contribution Fee 2000
    IT Fee 475
    Vaccination Fee (first year only) 250
    NUI (first year only) 135
    Student Centre Levy n/a
    TOTAL 16,440

Non EU: €38,500.

E16,440 is taking the piss completely. Did they only release that figure after the change of mind deadline passed?

del85 wrote: »
    E16,440 is taking the piss completely. Did they only release that figure after the change of mind deadline passed?

That figure has been up for weeks as a guide.
    RCSI have confirmed that the actual figure will be €500 less (this is in another thread).

See Below

Graduate Entry Programme (RC101) EU Fees 2011 / 2012 - Confirmed 14.30hrs 1.7.2011

Tuition Fee 25,780
    Less HEA Grant 11,000
    Less RCSI Grant 1,700
    Plus IT Fee 475
    Plus Student Contribution 2,000
    Total 15555

Other charges to be aware of (one off payments)
    NUI Fee 135
    Student Vaccination Programme 250

Best regards,

RCSI Admissions

Overall its an increase of €800 in line with the increase in fees in all other Universities, RCSI just happens to be bloody expensive.

Overall its an increase of €800 in line with the increase in fees in all other Universities, RCSI just happens to be bloody expensive.

That's mental.

Considering the max loan is 25,000 pa, it's incredible that they can charge that much.

del85 wrote: »
    That's mental.

Considering the max loan is 25,000 pa, it's incredible that they can charge that much.

I know ya. I made that point to RCSI before the meeting to try and encourage them to absorb the costs of the increase. They absorbed the €500 increase in the student contribution which was good but its the HEA grant that is decreasing every year that is screwing us. The actual tuition fees for all the courses have stayed the same.

I went with UCD in the end, its a bit cheaper, but certainly not cheap (went up by €800 again).

To be fair I don't want them to increase the loan amount that we can get per year, that's just putting the problem onto us and further down the line. I'd just rather the HEA didn't chip away at the grant year on year.

They complain about not having enough doctors everywhere but yet people that want to do it by the graduate route may be discouraged in the coming years as it will be impossible to finance.

That or everyone will apply for England insterad where the NHS pays you're final three years AFAIK.

Still though I'm delighted to be in and nothing will take the grin off my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

If the HEA would pay back a portion of our fees for every year spent working in the HSE, people might be more inclined to stay, as they do in the UK. You get your fees paid after first year, but you are then tied to the NHS for a few years post graduation.

The way it is, the HEA are paying good money after bad to educate Irish doctors to work in New Zealand and then passing on the fruits of that terrible system onto us in the form of a rapidly reducing grant.

They'll eventually take the grant off us entirely unless we sign up to the HSE for a number of years. And we'll probably be glad to.

*My take on it at least having watched an episode of The Frontline :o

• Advertisement

watawaster wrote: »
    Anybody have any idea what UL's definition of 'socio-economically disadvantaged' would be? :confused:

I'm thinking it's aimed at those who may be for e.g. supporting a family + have a mortgage, and the likes, whereby the GEM loan would not be a viable option.. or may be refused

From my understanding of the UL scholarship scheme having emailed them about it last year-the decision on the successful applicants is made a few weeks into the course. After the fees were paid. Now maybe I have this wrong-please correct me if I do. Surely the whole point of the scholarship is to provide money to candidates who possibly don't qualify for the loan. But if you don't qualify for the loan you can't register or start the course. So what does your situation have to be in order to qualify?

Or maybe the scholarship simply goes to the poorest students in the year who did qualify for the loan but are in a less favourable financial situation than others. Which would lead me to think, would we not all be in the same boat financially speaking having availed of the same loan package give or take a little? Other than those with children of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

From my understanding of the UL scholarship scheme having emailed them about it last year-the decision on the successful applicants is made a few weeks into the course. After the fees were paid. Now maybe I have this wrong-please correct me if I do. Surely the whole point of the scholarship is to provide money to candidates who possibly don't qualify for the loan. But if you don't qualify for the loan you can't register or start the course. So what does your situation have to be in order to qualify?

Or maybe the scholarship simply goes to the poorest students in the year who did qualify for the loan but are in a less favourable financial situation than others. Which would lead me to think, would we not all be in the same boat financially speaking having availed of the same loan package give or take a little? Other than those with children of course.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with you but I seem to remember the most important aspect of the scholarship criteria was that you received a grant doing your undergrad. I genuinely don't see the point of the scholarship scheme for some of the points you've just made, everybody basically qualifies for the loan and are in the same boat. The people that probably need the loan the most are actually the wealthiest people on paper, the people with houses, cars, mortgages, children, debts, bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

The point of the scholarship is to facilitate people from lower socio-economic backgrounds that are not traditionally represented in medicine into that field. That means children of farmers and working class/unemployed parents. The form focuses on your background, parents income and whether you qualified for a grant before etc. Your current income and status didn't seem to have much to do with it from what I can remember. I just found it so odd because I have been financially independent of my parents for so long it seemed stupid.

That said as the lady from UL said to me, if you aren't in you can't win, so I'd urge anyone thinking of going to UL to at least apply for the scholarship for the first round.

Yillan wrote: »
    If the HEA would pay back a portion of our fees for every year spent working in the HSE, people might be more inclined to stay, as they do in the UK. You get your fees paid after first year, but you are then tied to the NHS for a few years post graduation.

The way it is, the HEA are paying good money after bad to educate Irish doctors to work in New Zealand and then passing on the fruits of that terrible system onto us in the form of a rapidly reducing grant.

They'll eventually take the grant off us entirely unless we sign up to the HSE for a number of years. And we'll probably be glad to.

*My take on it at least having watched an episode of The Frontline :o

I share your view Yillan. How the established health and educational agencies operate often bewilders me. I've worked in the health service and also had some exposure to the workings of educational agencies. It's slimey culture of stagnation and stymie.

However, I would think that the those in undergrad. medicine are more to blame than the grad. meds- HEA grant only began with the first lot who came out of Limerick this year.
    I think you'll agree that the best thing to do in these situations, is to do what happens in every college in Ireland- blame the undergraduates :D

As for the UL scholarship, I guess it really is an access programme of sorts. I've just spent five years in college, just scrapping by. I'd apply for the UL scholarship only for the fact that the loan package is equivalent to a lotto win for me.

Imagine, I may actually have some "disposable income" as opposed to "Hmm, I'm going to live on lentils and those scraps I find in the neighbours' bins".

Clearly, I never received the grant (AKA le holy grail)

I genuinely don't see the point of the scholarship scheme for some of the points you've just made, everybody basically qualifies for the loan and are in the same boat. The people that probably need the loan the most are actually the wealthiest people on paper, the people with houses, cars, mortgages, children, debts, bills.

I wasn't so much trying to make a point. More just wondering out loud as to what kind of scenario successful candidates might be coming from.

Guess there's no harm in applying for the first round anyways as was said above.

28 days left till offers are out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cill5

Hi, it's not about qualifying for the loan as such. Once you are accepted to medicine you qualify for the loan, everyone I know got the loan accepted. The scholarship is aimed at people from low socioeconomic backgrounds to help them out and yes having qualified for this in your undergraduate will help you for your application in med. The scholarship doesnt really make sense to be honest because at the end of the day, no matter what your socioeconomic background is, we are all going to be in the same boat and up to our eyeballs in debt once we leave college. As for the dates, I dont know when you are notified, but contact the college, im sure they'll let you know. I do know that they pay for the fees and also give you money for living expenses for the year, somewhere in the region of 8 grand. Also the bank will make the 25,000 that is available to students without the scholarship available to the student with the scholarship also....you don't need to take all of this out and obviously it is advisable to do so, but that money is available to you too. You can ask them to make 10,000 available, then you don't need to spend it, and the money you don't touch, you won't get charged interest on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cill5

well tbh i hardly expect a student from UL to admit the flaws in their course. I mean you're opinion is obviously going to be biased with you trying to convince yourself that your money has been well spent, rather than accepting the fact that you're paying 13 grand a year to teach yourself medicine off the internet.

the very fact that you've said biochemistry and microbiology are not important shows your complete ignorance towards the subjects. they underpin everything that goes on inside the body; an understanding of them is essential, hence why medical schools across the world have taught them for decades now.

you mention you've started to incorporate some pharmacology this year? what about the last four medical years from UL? are you saying that they received no pharmacology teaching?! because if so then i can assure you, they will very much be incompetent doctors.

i'm not sure if you're aware of it, but pharmacology and physiology are the two most important subjects you need to know to be a competent doctor. almost everything you do will involve drugs.

physiology you can teach yourself from a book to a certain extent....pharmacology not so much.

and fyi, no, i wont be using wikipedia this september. because in rcsi you are given notes, and lectures and you actually have proper classes where you are taught properly, and hence i wont need to use wikipedia as the main source for my medical learning, and i wont be learning anatomy from a picture book either.

bottom line, UL medicine is a second rate medical education, anyone who tells you otherwise is just trying to convince themselves that they've not be taken for a fool.

Hi

Just wanted to make a few points. They might be coming a bit late but to be honest I was concentrating on my exams over the last few weeks so didn't have the time to contribute.

One, if you take the opinions of someone who is neither a doctor nor has ever been to medical school, and most of all is posting this stuff anonymously online, then you are more the fool.

Two, I have spoken to a lot of Irish doctor's and a lot of my family work in the profession, they always have said that RCSI is not accredited as being a good medical school. UCD and UCC are the main medical schools in Ireland with the best reputation, so I don't know where all this RCSI carry on comes from...if you're basing your choice on which school has the highest entry requirements, then that really speaks for itself. I'm not trying to take anything away from RCSI, it's a good school and produces very fine doctors, I also have friends that have gone there, but holding it above all the other schools is just ridiculous.

The thing is a majority of the people attending the medical schools in Dublin have either forked out thousands for these grad med prep courses or have sat the GAMSATs on many occasions. Therefore it doesnt make them any better than the munster contingent. I have friends attending these schools in Dublin so I have first hand information.

Personally, I came from a business background, studied hard for the GAMSATs, sat them, did well enough to get into medical school so had to make a decision. Sit them again and take a year out of my life or else start medical school. I consulted my family and also got opinions of other doctors. The point is, get into medical school and half the battle is done. I didnt want to waste another year of my life sitting around doing the GAMSATs I wanted to study medicine and was happy to do so at any opportunity. Like most of you on here I had a few concerns about going to UL, I also just missed out UCC on random selection. But I spoke to doctors about it and they said, go to med school, get good results and get into a good postgrad scheme after that. That's all that matters. This years graduating UL med students got accepted for their internships at hospitals all around the country, including very big hospitals in Dublin, Galway and Cork. So they are well on the way.

Sid Justice paints a very good picture of what it's like as a UL student. Honestly, if I knew what I know now I would've put UL first. Call it bias or whatever you like, but I love the way it's taught, you really have to work hard, but it's enjoyable for the most part.

Remember that most of the comments on here are opinions!!!! Talk to your family and doctors before you make your decision. At the end of the day we are going to be doctors and its up to you how hard you want to work to get to where you want to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

With the UL scholarships timing - Having only sent out forms to people recently, does that mean that the only people who will be considered are those that have UL as #1?

Someone living in Dublin that would otherwise qualify would be mad to put it as #1 (discounting personal preference) in that if they get the place but not the scholarship, they're adding more costs on to their already increasing grad med bill. Can anyone shed some light on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

cill5 wrote: »
    Hi

Just wanted to make a few points. They might be coming a bit late but to be honest I was concentrating on my exams over the last few weeks so didn't have the time to contribute.

One, if you take the opinions of someone who is neither a doctor nor has ever been to medical school, and most of all is posting this stuff anonymously online, then you are more the fool.

Two, I have spoken to a lot of Irish doctor's and a lot of my family work in the profession, they always have said that RCSI is not accredited as being a good medical school. UCD and UCC are the main medical schools in Ireland with the best reputation, so I don't know where all this RCSI carry on comes from...if you're basing your choice on which school has the highest entry requirements, then that really speaks for itself. I'm not trying to take anything away from RCSI, it's a good school and produces very fine doctors, I also have friends that have gone there, but holding it above all the other schools is just ridiculous.

The thing is a majority of the people attending the medical schools in Dublin have either forked out thousands for these grad med prep courses or have sat the GAMSATs on many occasions. Therefore it doesnt make them any better than the munster contingent. I have friends attending these schools in Dublin so I have first hand information.

Personally, I came from a business background, studied hard for the GAMSATs, sat them, did well enough to get into medical school so had to make a decision. Sit them again and take a year out of my life or else start medical school. I consulted my family and also got opinions of other doctors. The point is, get into medical school and half the battle is done. I didnt want to waste another year of my life sitting around doing the GAMSATs I wanted to study medicine and was happy to do so at any opportunity. Like most of you on here I had a few concerns about going to UL, I also just missed out UCC on random selection. But I spoke to doctors about it and they said, go to med school, get good results and get into a good postgrad scheme after that. That's all that matters. This years graduating UL med students got accepted for their internships at hospitals all around the country, including very big hospitals in Dublin, Galway and Cork. So they are well on the way.

Sid Justice paints a very good picture of what it's like as a UL student. Honestly, if I knew what I know now I would've put UL first. Call it bias or whatever you like, but I love the way it's taught, you really have to work hard, but it's enjoyable for the most part.

Remember that most of the comments on here are opinions!!!! Talk to your family and doctors before you make your decision. At the end of the day we are going to be doctors and its up to you how hard you want to work to get to where you want to be.
    this is some good information, do you have any information on how american/canadian students did on CaRMS or USMLE/2011 match?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

MedGal wrote: »

Eight hours to go then..... maybe

Advertisement