Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was war in Libya deliberately timed to take attention away from Fukushima?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

Another Earthquake and Tsunami alert off Northern Japan.

Japan issues new tsunami advisory after earthquake
    (CNN) -- Authorities issued a tsunami advisory Monday morning for coastal areas of Miyagi Prefecture in northeastern Japan after a 6.5-magnitude quake struck the region, the Japan Meteorological Agency said.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/27/japan.tsunami.advisory/?hpt=T2

If another big one hits them, with a significant tsunami, it will be game over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

uprising2 wrote: »
    Another Earthquake and Tsunami alert off Northern Japan.

Japan issues new tsunami advisory after earthquake
    (CNN) -- Authorities issued a tsunami advisory Monday morning for coastal areas of Miyagi Prefecture in northeastern Japan after a 6.5-magnitude quake struck the region, the Japan Meteorological Agency said.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/27/japan.tsunami.advisory/?hpt=T2

If another big one hits them, with a significant tsunami, it will be game over.
    2 foot high or less, how is this news lol

digme wrote: »
    2 foot high of less, how is this news lol

Yeah agreed, a bit of an over statement about the tsunami, I heard it and posted it, then went looking for a link to back it up, not much of a tsunami, but all these 6+ Mag earthquakes must be weakening the plant even more, bit by bit, then all that MOX and other crap sloshing about in their pools can't be a good thing.
    And "if" another tsunami were to come in again can you imagine the crap spread from that, these pools of radioactive water washed out of the plant and carried a mile or two inland wouldn't be good.

They "think" a reactor "may" have a crack, earth movement will only worsen any cracks and possibly create new ones.

I know, 6 is a pretty big earth quake.I'd say that core has to be cracked pretty bad now.Another big quake and bye bye japan.

Radiation Danger Stalls Efforts to Repair Damaged Japan Reactors
    March 28 (Bloomberg) -- Hazardous radiation levels found at two damaged reactors delayed work at the Fukushima Dai-Ichi power plant, site of the worst nuclear disaster since Chernobyl.
    Tests detected radiation yesterday at the No. 2 unit that might cause vomiting, hair loss and diarrhea upon exposure. Water may be leaking from the reactor, Sakae Muto, a vice president at plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co., said at a news conference early today in Tokyo.
    Thousands of tons of water dumped on the reactors may now be leaking radioactive elements outside the plant. Engineers are working on ways to drain and store the contaminated water.
    http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-03-27/radiation-danger-stalls-efforts-to-repair-damaged-japan-reactors.html

Just when I thought the bullsh1t couldn't get any worse, I came across this sad excuse by the Tepco chief, 5 days after the earthquake I'd say it finally dawned on him what was happening and he pulled a sickie or was genuinely having a nervous meltdon.

Japan's Tepco chief 'was sick during nuclear crisis'
    OSAKA - THE president of Tokyo Electric Power Co (Tepco), the operator of the stricken Fukushima nuclear plant, was sick and off work for several days during the crisis, local reports said on Monday.
    But another Tepco employee, described as a senior official, said Mr Shimizu had been so sick that he had stayed 'mostly in bed' in a separate room in the building where the task force was meeting, the newspaper said.
    Mr Shimizu has not appeared in public since attending a press conference on March 13, leading to local media criticism that he had been irresponsible. A Tepco spokesman declined to elaborate on his health condition, but said he did not fall over or require an intravenous drip, Kyodo said.
    http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Asia/Story/STIStory_650179.html

"This disaster is 60% man-made," said one government official. "They failed in their initial response. It's like Tepco dropped and lost a 100 yen coin while trying to pick up a 10 yen coin."

Government efforts also were plagued with delays. Japan's military, the Self-Defense Forces, didn't participate in cool-down efforts in a big way until Wednesday, after four of the six reactors had suffered damage and the remaining two showed signs of heating as well. A military spokesman said forces didn't move in because they weren't requested by Tepco. A Tepco spokesman declined to comment on the issue specifically, saying in general the company is in contact with the government.

Bid to 'Protect Assets' Slowed Reactor Fight
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704608504576207912642629904.html?mod=WSJ_hp_mostpop_read

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Russian media quoted a U.S. scientist who said the international community should deal with the Japanese crisis instead of bombing Libya.

Russian media quoted a U.S. scientist who said the international community should deal with the Japanese crisis instead of bombing Libya.

Well if the money and effort were put into that instead of being put into stealing oil spreading freedom, it would be money better spent

It's getting worse by the hour, traces found in Scotland, radiation in the sea rising sharply.

Japan nuclear crisis: Seawater radioactivity 'rises'
    Water near the Fukushima Daiichi plant's reactor 1 contained radioactive iodine at 3,355 times the legal limit, a government agency said.
    Earlier samples had been put at 1,850 times the legal limit.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12903072

Japan on 'maximum alert' over nuclear plant
    One tunnel alone holds 6,000 cubic metres (212,000 cubic feet) of contaminated water, more than two Olympic swimming pools. Still, the only choice for now is to keep pumping water, said government spokesman Yukio Edano.
    http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/japan-on-maximum-alert-over-nuclear-plant-20110330-1cfot.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

Japan has been offered international help, it's a crazy situation though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

What more can the international community do?

digme wrote: »
    2 foot high or less, how is this news lol
    Any abnormal rise in water level is a concern, all it would take would be a few more feet wash sea water into the contaminated land and overflow pools and then carry it out to sea, thats if this has not happened already.

"Fukushima nuclear plant to be entombed in concrete as Japan admits it has lost battle with crippled reactors". Three weeks behind time on this one. It is the last resort and looks like the only way of putting a sticky plaster on the situation, but unlike Chernobyl Japan will now have four sleeping monsters instead of one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/readerCommentsSecurity.html

• Advertisement

Concrete Solution

Dumping concrete on the plant would serve a second purpose: it would trap contaminated water, said Tony Roulstone, an atomic engineer who directs the University of Cambridge’s masters program in nuclear energy.
    “They need to immobilize this water and they need something to soak it up,” he said. “You don’t want to create another hazard, but you need to get it away from the reactors.”
    The process will take longer than the 12 years needed to decommission the Three Mile Island reactor in Pennsylvania following a partial meltdown in 1979, said Hironobu Unesaki, a nuclear engineering professor at Kyoto University.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-30/record-high-levels-of-radiation-found-in-sea-near-crippled-nuclear-reactor.html

Pumping Operation Stops at Plant

Pumping Stops Amid Storage Strains; Radiation Levels Rise in Nearby Ocean

TOKYO—The battle to prevent a crippled Japanese nuclear facility from leaking radioactive water into the ocean faced a series of new problems Wednesday, underscoring the challenges government and utility officials face as they improvise solutions to the chaos at the plant
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703712504576231983520924172.html

Radiation in seawater around Japan plant 4,385 times over legal limit
    (Reuters) - The levels of radioactive iodine found in seawater near Japan's stricken nuclear power plant was 4,385 times more than the legal limit on Thursday, the nuclear safety agency said.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/31/idUSLKE7DP00S20110331

Low Levels of Radiation Found in American Milk.

This will no doubt cause over reaction and panic in the States.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/31/us/31milk.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Low Levels of Radiation Found in American Milk.

This will no doubt cause over reaction and panic in the States.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/31/us/31milk.html

Only if they don't actually read the article:
    Radioactive materials in liquids are measured in pico-curies per liter, and the sample, taken March 25, showed a reading of 0.8 pico-curies, the agency said. Those numbers, it said, would have to be 5,000 times higher to reach the “intervention level” set by the Food and Drug Administration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

humanji wrote: »
    What more can the international community do?

Every little bit helps. Been to a few fundraisers and there's another one in the works. On an individual level; that's about all I can do, short of go out there.

For now we must rely on the boffins and the heroic efforts of the teams in Fukushima.

King Mob wrote: »
    Only if they don't actually read the article:
    They won't. :p

They won't. :p
    Well we know you didn't anyway.

Well we know you didn't anyway.

Kingmob are you here to discuss the nuclear disaster thats getting worse by the minute or just to disagree with every thing?
    It's getting worse and worse and all the ideas are starting to run out, in your own opinion do you see a safe and happy ending to this?, can science control what it create's?, what is the outcome you imagine?

Crews 'facing 100-year battle' at Fukushima
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/04/01/3179487.htm

Japan nuclear watchdog: radiation may be leaking continuously into sea
    http://af.reuters.com/article/energyOilNews/idAFS7E7ER00820110331

Kingmob are you here to discuss the nuclear disaster thats getting worse by the minute or just to disagree with every thing?

You mean like RtdH's insistence that the evil controlled media are trying to scare people, yet also post the fact that they say there's nothing to worry about in the same article, which kinda shows he's continuing his habit of not reading beyond the headline?
    Or how the theory proposed is that the evil powers that be are trying to distract from the nuclear disaster, but then we get a few pages of you posting new articles from the mainstream media every day?

So what exactly is the conspiracy being discussed?

So what exactly is the conspiracy being discussed?

Well to be honest I was going to start a thread about whether the Nuclear disaster was being played down bigtime, which it was/is, they are starting to come round to the idea of maybe it's "bigger than we said, vewy sowwy".

But this thread was already here so rather than start 2 threads on basically the same thing I just joined in here with my bits and pieces.

I don't trust the main stream media, but thats not to say that they don't print facts, such as Madeline McCann vanished, FG won the election, Gerry Adams is a TD, etc, these are things that can be twisted from one paper to another, but the fact remains the same, no paper in the world would print "Japan nuclear disaster didn't happen", that would be silly, it's the spin added to the facts that cause concern, the ommitted news, the downplaying, the exaggeration, the half truths.

So I cant deny that the twin towers fell on 9/11, but I can dispute the news reports leading upto and after the actual real life event happened, and point out spin or downplaying when I see it, thats the route I'm taking on this Nuclear reactor in Japan issue.

Well to be honest I was going to start a thread about whether the Nuclear disaster was being played down bigtime, which it was/is, they are starting to come round to the idea of maybe it's "bigger than we said, vewy sowwy".
    Or maybe they never tried to downplay it? They reported the facts as they came in and the scale and actual damage wasn't and couldn't be known at the time? And that your bias made you think they are downplaying for non-specific evil purposes?

But this thread was already here so rather than start 2 threads on basically the same thing I just joined in here with my bits and pieces.

I don't trust the main stream media, but thats not to say that they don't print facts, such as Madeline McCann vanished, FG won the election, Gerry Adams is a TD, etc, these are things that can be twisted from one paper to another, but the fact remains the same, no paper in the world would print "Japan nuclear disaster didn't happen", that would be silly, it's the spin added to the facts that cause concern, the ommitted news, the downplaying, the exaggeration, the half truths.

So I cant deny that the twin towers fell on 9/11, but I can dispute the news reports leading upto and after the actual real life event happened, and point out spin or downplaying when I see it, thats the route I'm taking on this Nuclear reactor in Japan issue.
    But you're not pointing out any of the "spin" or "omitted news" or any of the stuff you say they're doing. Nor have you shown anything to suggest that they are doing any of it.
    In fact you often seem to be taken in uncritically by the more scary sounding articles.

• Advertisement

In fact you often seem to be taken in uncritically by the more scary sounding articles.

Well how about for the first time in history you add something of your own, reveal your hand, what outcome do you see from this nuclear disaster, please answer the question, just your very own opinion, if you dont know say it, if you think something say it.

I have focused on the scary articles because I believe they are closer to the truth of the matter than the "everything is fine" one's.

So please state where you stand on the matter, your opinion like, instead of your fence sitting approach, with wave after wave of questions.

Well how about for the first time in history you add something of your own, reveal your hand, what outcome do you see from this nuclear disaster, please answer the question, just your very own opinion, if you dont know say it, if you think something say it.

I have focused on the scary articles because I believe they are closer to the truth of the matter than the "everything is fine" one's.

So please state where you stand on the matter, your opinion like, instead of your fence sitting approach, with wave after wave of questions.
    Ok, the reactors are going to shut down and buried. Japan's economy is going to suffer pretty badly from the delayed exports and losing a major plant, on top of all the damage done by the tsunami. The radioactive materials released will decay pretty quickly and with careful monitoring the damage to people will be negligible. People ignorant of the facts will assume this disaster is as bad as Chernobyl and anti nuclear lobbyists will capitalise on this. Heads of state will call for more regulation like Sarkozy did, but probably won't follow it up. None of the most science ignorant sources will feel no repercussions from making terrible, scaremongering stories and continue to do so for the next disaster.
    Ultimately the people in the area will recover, rebuilt and move on as best they can.

But that's just my opinion. It's open to change as facts become available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ok, the reactors are going to shut down and buried. Japan's economy is going to suffer pretty badly from the delayed exports and losing a major plant, on top of all the damage done by the tsunami. The radioactive materials released will decay pretty quickly and with careful monitoring the damage to people will be negligible. People ignorant of the facts will assume this disaster is as bad as Chernobyl and anti nuclear lobbyists will capitalise on this. Heads of state will call for more regulation like Sarkozy did, but probably won't follow it up. None of the most science ignorant sources will feel no repercussions from making terrible, scaremongering stories and continue to do so for the next disaster.
    Ultimately the people in the area will recover, rebuilt and move on as best they can.

But that's just my opinion. It's open to change as facts become available.
    I think the economic impact of the plant itself wont be as bad as you think. There is the issue with the Exclusion zone and all that, but the Energy it produces wont be consumed because - face it, a good portion of Japan has been scrubbed off the map. Consumption will remain down for a long while.

Where it's really going to hit is perhaps Tourism, with Radiophobic issues playing a major concern on everyone's mind if they consider traveling to Japan at at; and already you've probably seen mass cancellations of visits due to National Travel Advisories to not travel to Japan for the moment.

No doubt Japan will recess this year by a couple percent but depending on a few things I think they'll rebound with very strong growth 5 years from now.

Overheal wrote: »
    I think the economic impact of the plant itself wont be as bad as you think. There is the issue with the Exclusion zone and all that, but the Energy it produces wont be consumed because - face it, a good portion of Japan has been scrubbed off the map. Consumption will remain down for a long while.
    Well it's not just the power issue, it's the fact that all the workers of the plant are out of a job. And nuclear plants require a lot of highly trained staff. And then there's all the infrastructure needed for the plant, transport, maintenance etc. And then there's all the businesses that serve the families of the workers who live in the area.
    Where it's really going to hit is perhaps Tourism, with Radiophobic issues playing a major concern on everyone's mind if they consider traveling to Japan at at; and already you've probably seen mass cancellations of visits due to National Travel Advisories to not travel to Japan for the moment.
    Absolutely, given how most people don't understand what radiation actually is or how it works and the crap science reporting as usual most people have no idea what the problems are over there.

I plan on going to Japan myself next year but the disaster hasn't changed my mind in the slightest.

I can't be arsed to gather how many employees Daiichi and Daiini had in full swing but Im going to guess you're only talking about a couple hundred at best. Not nearly as big an impact as say, what Toyota may have to employ, or companies like Toshiba which is a major *major* hardware vendor for everything from iPad2 components to most conventional laptop parts. And their own laptops are pretty sh*t-hot too. Not to mention countless other industries affected by the quakes and waves, but my interests are in Tech. http://www.businessreviewaustralia.com/sectors/other-supply-chain/earthquake-tsunami-japan-delay-launch-apple-ipad-2

I can't be arsed to gather how many employees Daiichi and Daiini had in full swing but Im going to guess you're only talking about a couple hundred at best.
    well quick google gives me http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/world/asia/15nuclear.html which says 800 workers, but isn't clear whether this is the usual amount or not.
    It wouldn't be as damaging to Japan's economy on the whole right away, but if a small town like the one I grew up in lost 800 jobs at once, the town would be all but dead, and that's without a tsunami on top of that. This will cause a lot of instability in the economy as the jobless families move away from the town and go to other areas. And with less people in the town, local businesses suffer and put more people out of jobs.

But that's not a death blow and it won't be as bad as the damage from other sectors, but will still be very bad for the economy in the end. And this was the point I was making.

well quick google gives me http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/world/asia/15nuclear.html which says 800 workers, but isn't clear whether this is the usual amount or not.
    It wouldn't be as damaging to Japan's economy on the whole right away, but if a small town like the one I grew up in lost 800 jobs at once, the town would be all but dead, and that's without a tsunami on top of that. This will cause a lot of instability in the economy as the jobless families move away from the town and go to other areas. And with less people in the town, local businesses suffer and put more people out of jobs.

But that's not a death blow and it won't be as bad as the damage from other sectors, but will still be very bad for the economy in the end. And this was the point I was making.
    cool comic book bro.

• Advertisement

^ ?

800 * ... 3.5 = 2800 people... family population like. It's a definite Ding on the Economy but nothing compared to the number of things which must have surely been washed out in the tsunami, things like shipping, coastal tourism and the like. countless shops, restaurants, services, etc. you're talking tens of thousands of job positions I reckon. It's still important to remember the much more massive human tragedy of the Tsunami and Quakes as a Whole; it is too easy to focus on the reactor scenario.

Advertisement