Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was war in Libya deliberately timed to take attention away from Fukushima?

Options
  • 24-03-2011 5:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Over the last week the war in Libya has taken a dominant role in the media in both broadsheet and tabloids. Could this invasion have been "put off" for a few weeks or was it a perfect way to distract the media and populations away from a very serious issue?

Is there something out there that experts know about but preferred to suppress it and keep it in the back ground?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

Japan is still firmly in the news. Gadaffi was probably only a few weeks from defeating the rebels, and the only reason that the Allies weren't in there earlier was becausing of all the humming and hawing at the UN until they could finally agree something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

I don't think they just went to war to take attention away from Japan, they just fancied a kick about.
    Although I don't think the whole truth is being told about Fukushima either, not by a long way, the radiation threat is being played down.

The radiation leaking into the air and sea is being played down bigtime, it's slowly seeping out, it's a slow disaster happening.

Japan detects radioactivity 30 km off coast: IAEA
    VIENNA—Japanese scientists have found measurable concentrations of radioactive iodine-131 and cesium-137 in seawater samples taken 30 kilometres from land, the UN nuclear watchdog said Thursday.
    http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/960432--radioactive-elements-found-in-seawater-off-japan?bn=1

Report: Emissions from Japan plant approach Chernobyl levels
    http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/03/report-radioactive-emissions-from-japan-plant-approach-chernobyl-levels/1

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

As long as we're talking Theory you may be right. But the remaining fact is theres **** all we can do about the Fallout except let it come.

The importance of downplaying it should be obvious though, the panic has already caused shortages and more importantly hoarding of iodines and kelp products. I have confidence they will warn people when it's time to start taking iodine but I don't think we're there yet. If we'll get there at all. Though I agree MOX complicates the issue somewhat.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Is there something out there that experts know about but preferred to suppress it and keep it in the back ground?.

Stuxnet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Stuxnet can cause earthquakes and tsunamis now? Holy ****! :pac:

• Advertisement

gizmo wrote: »
    when it takes control of HAARP it can ;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

While the mass media has all but dropped its interest in the Fukushima crisis to focus on Libya and meaningless side-issues like the death of Elizabeth Taylor, the nuclear nightmare only worsens, as Japanese authorities admit that reactor number 3, which is the only reactor to contain MOX plutonium, is now leaking.

http://www.infowars.com/japanese-authorities-admit-deadly-mox-plutonium-reactor-is-leaking/

While the mass media has all but dropped its interest in the Fukushima crisis to focus on Libya and meaningless side-issues like the death of Elizabeth Taylor, the nuclear nightmare only worsens, as Japanese authorities admit that reactor number 3, which is the only reactor to contain MOX plutonium, is now leaking.

http://www.infowars.com/japanese-authorities-admit-deadly-mox-plutonium-reactor-is-leaking/
    Well for one that's completely incorrect, EVERY news report I've seen across multiple news channels have either had Japan as the first or second story. I know I should allow for such inaccuracies from Alex Jones but ffs...

On this note however, the government also announced today that the three workers who suffered burns while trying to cool that very same reactor (#3) were exposed to radiation levels over 10,000 times higher than safe levels. Looks like the containment has indeed ruptured which means attempts to cool it are now the least of their worries.

The reactor 3 situation is going to hit the fan sooner or later. That Plutonium will make its own headlines.

I dont like saying that in the AH thread though. Most people don't honestly need to hear that right now, especially when its still in only speculation at this point, however potentially accurate it may be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Overheal wrote: »
    The reactor 3 situation is going to hit the fan sooner or later. That Plutonium will make its own headlines.

I dont like saying that in the AH thread though. Most people don't honestly need to hear that right now, especially when its still in only speculation at this point, however potentially accurate it may be.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-03-25/reactor-core-may-be-leaking-at-damaged-fukushima-plant-1-.html

Its pretty much official given the main news media is reporting it now.

This is bad bad news.

• Advertisement

Japan yesterday advised more people living close to the nuclear plant to evacuate because basic goods are in short supply, while assuring them that radiation levels haven’t risen
    :|

Yet you know the japanese people are smart enough to know thats a BS line. Im just amazed they can remain calm.

Dangerous breach feared at Japan nuke site

'We are not in a position where we can be optimistic,' prime minister says; workers hurt after wading into water 10,000 times more radioactive than normal

TOKYO — A possible breach in the core of a reactor at the stricken Fukushima nuclear plant could mean more serious radioactive contamination, Japanese officials revealed Friday, as the prime minister called the country's ongoing fight to stabilize the plant "very grave and serious."
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42263856/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

Japan's nuclear nightmare 'nowhere near' over
    http://news.scotsman.com/world/Japan39s-nuclear-nightmare-39nowhere-near39.6740583.jp

Reactor Core may be leaking.
    http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/25/japan-reactor-core-may-be-leaking-radioactive-material-official-says/

It just gets worse by the day, and thats the stuff that's being told, I read somewhere that the radiation released so far is something like 40% of chernobyl, could be wrong.

For the most advanced nation on earth they just showing how ill equipped the whole world is for a disaster.
    Before this I would have foolishly assumed that Japan was ready for everything concerning earthquakes, tsunami's, and even a nuclear disaster, but it seem's they weren't, unless the translator on NHK is very bad, the official spokesmen I've seen being interviewed so far look like a pack of incompetent "beat around the bush" sidesteppers, I have never heard them answer a question with a straight answer, it's all waffle about what could,would,should be, but very little about what is actually happening.

Reporter: Is there any threat of radiation killing millions from cancer because you's idiots built sh1t nuclear power stations with the back-up generators below ground level, beside the pacific ocean, where there are LOTS of earthquakes?

Official: Well you see, we are seeing steam, this means that water is evaporating and maybe the fuel rods are exposed, but if we look at another prefecture you will see that we have no radiation there so that is a good sign.

I honestly can't see any easy way out of this now, if they concrete it, that brings it's own problems, masses of land off limits, constant contamination of the sea, I dont know where it will lead but I believe it has the potential to become the biggest disaster of this kind ever witnessed, hopefully it won't, but the truth is nobody knows where this is or isn't going.
    5 years from now I think the effects will be a lot more far reaching than anybody is willing to predict, potentially millions of deaths attributed to this in one form or another.

gizmo wrote: »

Nope. Never said it could.

But it can **** about with the cooling system which is exactly what has happened in Fukushima.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

I've heard some far fetched conspiracy theories, but this is the best yet. Are you serious? Surely you don't actually believe this? Anybody got a straight jacket ? :rolleyes: ;)

:rolleyes: ;)

You didn't think this through did you?. Winking and rolling eyes at the same time.

Makes you look like you have some kind of weird facial tic.

You didn't think this through did you?. Winking and rolling eyes at the same time.

Makes you look like you have some kind of weird facial tic.

Yes thats mental. As opposed to thinking the UK, Canada, USA, some of the Arab countries, France etc etc etc all got together and came up with the idea to invade Libya so as people will stop worrying. Can't believe I put a rolling eyes and a wink though.

Yes thats mental. As opposed to thinking the UK, Canada, USA, some of the Arab countries, France etc etc etc all got together and came up with the idea to invade Libya so as people will stop worrying. Can't believe I put a rolling eyes and a wink though.

I'm sure your quite fond of the occasional wink. Who said anything about attacking people so people would stop worrying?

I'm sure your quite fond of the occasional wink.
    Well done, I seen what you done there ;);)

So what else would the point be of distracting the media away from it other than to prevent people from worrying and panicking?

Sometimes one has to dig into the alternative news sites to get the links with information that would not normally appear in mainstream.

Japan PM: N-situation could deteriorate.

Japan nuclear safety officials suspect that high-level radiation may be leaking from a reactor core at the Fukushima nuclear plant, with the country's premier warning that the situation could deteriorate.

Tehran-based columnist Nader Mokhtari says Japanese officials have not been transparent with regards to the extent of the disaster in the country.

“Fukushima has six reactors; we are seeing four Chernobyls. Two reactors are already in meltdown and two are fast approaching meltdown,” Mokhtari said in an interview with Press TV on Thursday.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/171599.html

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) says it cannot tell when the radioactive leakage from the disaster-hit Fukushima nuclear power plant in Japan could be contained.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/171683.html

Nope. Never said it could.

But it can **** about with the cooling system which is exactly what has happened in Fukushima.
    Well I was joking in fairness. :)

But with regards the cooling system, I'd suspect it has more to do with said earthquake knocking out power to the coolant systems and demolishing half the plant which has led to their current predicament.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

It may be the other way around op,they used the Japanese crisis to take the eye off Libya? Or both of them to take the eyes off them and what they are doing to the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭MRPRO03

MRPRO03 wrote: »

Others may find this interesting:

Workers evacuated as radiation soars at Japan reactor
    March 27, 2011 - 4:04PM

Extremely high levels of radiation were detected in water leaking from reactor two of the stricken Fukushima nuclear plant, forcing the evacuation of workers, its operator said Sunday.
      A spokesman for Tokyo Electric Power said the level of radiation found in the leaked water was 10 million times higher than it should be for water inside the reactor, indicating damage to the fuel rods.
      http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/workers-evacuated-as-radiation-soars-at-japan-reactor-20110327-1cbod.html

Workers evacuated as radioactivity rises in reactor
      OSAKA - EXTREMELY high levels of radiation were detected in water leaking from reactor two of the stricken Fukushima nuclear plant, forcing the evacuation of workers, its operator said on Sunday.
      A spokesman for Tokyo Electric Power said the level of radiation found in the leaked water was 10 million times higher than it should be for water inside the reactor, indicating damage to the fuel rods.
      http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Asia/Story/STIStory_649927.html

MRPRO03 wrote: »

Ahem.......

Tokyo Electric Power (Tepco) said initial reports of levels 10m times higher than normal in parts of the No 2 reactor were inaccurate, although it was unable to say by how much.
      "The number is not credible," a spokesman, Takashi Kurita, said. "We are very sorry." Kurita said officials were taking another sample to get accurate levels, but did not know when the results would be announced.
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/27/japan-nuclear-error-radiation-reading

So the readings of 10 million times higher than normal were "inaccurate" or so they say, but by how much they "don't know", so I wouldn't be celebrating an end to this disaster just yet.
      Maybe it's only 1 million or 8.9 million times higher than normal, but whatever the true figure is I imagine it is still an awful lot higher than anybody was hoping for.

Radiation scare at Japan nuclear plant
      "It is an extremely high figure," nuclear safety agency spokesman Hidehiko Nishiyama said, adding there was a "high possibility" that the contaminated water had leaked from the reactor.
      TEPCO, however, retracted an announcement that the radiation levels were 10 million times higher than usual, saying it had made a mistake.
      http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/radiation-scare-at-japan-nuclear-plant-20110327-1cbqb.html

What worries me very much is that you have an incompetent bunch in charge of this whole mop up operation that cannot correctly read a geiger counter and at the same time hand out inadequate footwear PPE to their workers. God knows what else they have slipped up on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Not to mention the damage it has already done to wild life and sea etc...

What worries me very much is that you have an incompetent bunch in charge of this whole mop up operation that cannot correctly read a geiger counter and at the same time hand out inadequate footwear PPE to their workers. God knows what else they have slipped up on.
      No consideration for them being experts then, who have been strung out on what must be little to no sleep for 2 weeks in an environment which fits the definition for primordial stress?

Overheal wrote: »
      No consideration for them being experts then, who have been strung out on what must be little to no sleep for 2 weeks in an environment which fits the definition for primordial stress?
      This even makes the situation even more grave when you have an over stressed tired and and worn out management team trying to tackle what could become the worst nuclear accident in history.

No expense should be spared by the Japanese Government to get fresh relief expertise involved.

• Advertisement

I think thats happening but you get difficulty with the whole Japanese thing. The language of the workers, the controls, everything. I believe they're trying, but I dont fathom it's easy.

My dad told me that when he was in the Coast Guard during TMI that he recalled being asked (among many) for volunteers to go there and take part in the effort, some to transport physicists and such. He doesnt recall whether he agreed to standby to help or not, he just remembers not being anywhere near TMI.

/wait, that was irrelevant :p

Advertisement