Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused a scope for a licensed .22??????

Options
  • 23-03-2011 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Dear all,

I have a semi auto .22 for rodents and occasional target practice. The crack off the semi is significantly louder than my old bolt action for whatever reason. Wrote to my local super a month ago to ask for the noted addition of a suppressor and scope on my license. I knew the suppressor could be a point of contention but he called me today to state he is refusing both. He said that either or both additions alter the rifles original stated purpose. He further said, "he would consider it if I had a deer hunting license". Personally I thought it was illeagal to shoot deer with a .22lr round but I'm sure the Gardai know better. Question is.... do I fight it, or sigh and put it down to the State we live in. If I challenge it in the District, I have little doubt that I will be make an enemy of a new Superintendent and no one wants that.

Suggestions welcomed...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

You do not need permission for a scope. Just go out and buy one and put it on. As for the moderator, they can refuse you that if they wish and there isn't a whole lot you can do about it.
    It does however sound like the particular individual doesn't know a thing about firearms since he has told yo you will need a deer license for a .22lr.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

You don't need a licence for a normal scope sight only laser sights that project a beam or night vision sights. He is right on the suppressor, thats up his own whim but could be fought. Maybe a polite word with the firearms officer would help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

For an ordinary telescopic sight you do not need permission, go out, buy it, mount it.

"Sights" refer to night vision sights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

I'd say he's just a bit confused :confused: about it. You should go and explain again before you go any other route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

boc121 wrote: »
    I'd say he's just a bit confused :confused: about it. You should go and explain again before you go any other route.
    No need to go explain anything, he was told no to a mod and NV sights

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

boc121 wrote: »
    You should go and explain again before you go any other route.

Absolutely NOT.

There is NO license for a scope, unless, as mentioned above, it falls under the Nv, laser, etc guidelines. To give the Super's incomptence, any sort of recognition by asking permission for something that neither requires nor needs it, will only add to his incorrect and false sense of "right".

To the OP. Go out and buy your scope. Mount it and enjoy it. The moderator is the only item that requires permission from the Super. As to the statement from the Super that you need a deer license to get a scope for an ILLEGAL deer caliber rifle, i would pay that as much attention as his refusal to "license" a scope for you.

This is not our word versus his, or just do as you please. This is fact. You CANNOT be prosecuted or even bothered by mounting a rifle scope on your .22lr.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

What i meant was explain about mod as the op said he does'nt want a row.
    Much easier to explain as he obviously has'nt a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I was going to comment but its all been said.... and these people are our thin blue line??, but then again and without being harsh the OP needs to brush up himself on basic licensing requirements.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I agree with the whole "power is knowledge" thing. I believe that going in with all the knowledge you need is better than having to look it up after a problem arises.

After saying that even if you have all the facts, alot of young lads would go into a meeting or submit an application and get refused for a poor or non legit reason, and accept it as they beoieve the person giving the judgement (Super/Chirf Super) is "beyond reproach".

I have said many many times that i have a great deal of respect for the Gardai, in all levels, however i will not be "fooled", "conned", or talked into something simply because the person telling me has a uniform. I dare say i know more about the licensing procedures in Ireland and alot of the appropriate laws/SIs than 85% of the Gardai.

The same can be said for the majority of the lads here. If shooting is your sport be it hunting or target, etc. than its your business to know as much as you can about all aspects of it.

Apologies. Went of on a little speech there, but you all get the idea. Now i'll get my soapbox.:D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Ezridax wrote: »
    Now i'll get my soapbox.:D

:eek: Thought you were going to get off it, not get it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement