Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard Littlejohn's take on the Tsunami

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

It's a complete trash piece.

One thing caught my eye though, about the militantly racist part. I don't know how true it is. But what I have heard from people that went teaching there is that the Japanese are extremely insular.

Anyone who has experience in the country or knowledge about them want to enlighten me on what Japan is like? Save this thread from the bilge that is the Daily Star/Mail/Sun or whatever it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

man's got a point - those crazy japs are only now learning the meaning of karma.
    When you say it like that it sounds racist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Buceph wrote: »
    It's a complete trash piece.

One thing caught my eye though, about the militantly racist part. I don't know how true it is. But what I have heard from people that went teaching there is that the Japanese are extremely insular.

Anyone who has experience in the country or knowledge about them want to enlighten me on what Japan is like? Save this thread from the bilge that is the Daily Star/Mail/Sun or whatever it is.

Japan, like any other country, has right wing "patriots"; some of whom hold political office and blame foreigners for crime, disease and so on. Sounds depressingly familiar, eh? Some of the "patriots" are Yakuza and permeate all strata of society; they glorify the country's military past and claim they are descendents of Samurai (this is highly debatable).

The Japanese can be insular, after they (rightly, in my book) told the Jesuits where to go, the country was closed off to foreign contact, until the arrival of Captain Perry's Black Ships in the 1850s (iirc). They were then forced to trade with the rest of the world. With more exposure to the West, Japan's imperialism began to surge and disputes with Russia and China over islands became commonplace. The ancient religion of Shinto became "politicised" and Japan became heady with the idea of destiny.

I will never be an apologist for its crimes during the Pacific War but I know and love Japan; my wife is Japanese and I've never met a more warm, friendly and polite people. All countries have bloody pasts but people like Littlejohn like to perpetuate the hatreds. There is insularity of course but I've met people at home who have never left Ireland or even visited Dublin!

The people who suffer from the "second class citizen" snobbery in Japan are Koreans and Chinese, some of who's families changed their names to sound more Japanese. Also, those Brazilians (and Peruvians) who are of Japanese descent - many came to the land of their forefathers and found they were given the crappiest jobs and not made feel welcome. Some stayed, some went home.

Japan's previous isolation, mixed with island mentality has resulted in its "otherness", for sure but you visit the place and I guarantee you'll be seduced by it's beauty and charm. Unless you're a budding Littlejohn, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

"Richard Littlejohn, c*nt. Not someone who works as a c*nt."

• Advertisement

old hippy wrote: »
    snip

Thanks for that.

One other thing, I know someone who was big into anime (although he finds recent stuff pretty crap.) And was quite enamoured with Japan. He slowly stopped though, partly because of the weird **** that seems to come from their internet but also because he heard pretty bad stuff about how they treat their disabled citizens. Keeping them hidden and at home, and how they're not seen in public. He's in a wheelchair himself.

I don't know how true it is, can you shed any light on that?

Thanks for that.

One other thing, I know someone who was big into anime (although he finds recent stuff pretty crap.) And was quite enamoured with Japan. He slowly stopped though, partly because of the weird **** that seems to come from their internet but also because he heard pretty bad stuff about how they treat their disabled citizens. Keeping them hidden and at home, and how they're not seen in public. He's in a wheelchair himself.

I don't know how true it is, can you shed any light on that?

I know a guy who was big into his Irish roots and talked incessantly about the occupied 6 counties and the evil British but after being exposed to the reality of modern Ireland he turned tail and is one of the biggest critics of Ireland. He writes to many Irish publications on the US East Coast decrying us Irish at every chance. I have no idea what made him a bit skittish but there you go. Something personal, no doubt.

I cannot speak for all Japanese families but my father in law was an invalid towards the end of his life & I can guarantee you he was not hidden or spoken about in hushed/shamed tones!

:)

old hippy wrote: »
    I cannot speak for all Japanese families but my father in law was an invalid towards the end of his life & I can guarantee you he was not hidden or spoken about in hushed/shamed tones!

:)

Ok. I'll look into it more. Maybe it's different with the elderly, or maybe my friend is wrong. Just wanted to get the thread onto something actually about Japan rather than about hate.

Ok. I'll look into it more. Maybe it's different with the elderly, or maybe my friend is wrong. Just wanted to get the thread onto something actually about Japan rather than about hate.

I positively encourage you to explore the truths and myths. There are elderly people in care homes here in the UK that are abused and treated badly but this is not representative of the whole country and I imagine the same goes for back home.

Sometimes it's easier to promote fear and negativity than the opposite?

Obviously I don't know your friend but I would urge him not to ignore a rewarding art form because of some negativity. If he goes to Japan he will find he's catered for and treated as normal as everyone else.

His problem with anime doesn't really come from the attitudes he's heard of the Japanese.

I think he's just watched all the greats made since the 80s and finds the newer ones (which he watches a bit of once they come out) to be a bit childish. His big hatred is the lack of adult characteres in anime. Even if it's still aimed at teenagers, he'd like to see more dealing with adult characters. He's just too old for most of it I'd say.

Although I do love me some Hunter X Hunter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The minutes silence was for the Sunderland Liverpool game and was because there are close ties there with Japan, through the Nissan factory, workers, management, work and money. Can't believe he's cribbing about that.

As for racism, same could be said of most countries to some extent.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

His problem with anime doesn't really come from the attitudes he's heard of the Japanese.

I think he's just watched all the greats made since the 80s and finds the newer ones (which he watches a bit of once they come out) to be a bit childish. His big hatred is the lack of adult characteres in anime. Even if it's still aimed at teenagers, he'd like to see more dealing with adult characters. He's just too old for most of it I'd say.

Although I do love me some Hunter X Hunter.

Ach, you're never too old for anime/manga/comics etc. IMHO, natch. It's perfectly acceptable for an adult in Japan (and France, too) to be seen reading a "comic" - manga caters for everyone in Japan; housewives, salary men, students, goths, cosplay folk and yes... the odder types out there!

What gets up my nose is when there's a high profile murder and the Western press find out that the perp was into some of the weirder manga. Cue dozens of articles about "this sick culture" etc :rolleyes:

Man, they said that about rave, punk, rock and roll and jazz. Nothing changes :)

Every strand of culture has its dark corners; you know it. Up to the individual whether they subscribe to it or not.

Bumped

Tabloid Watch on Littlejohn's "journalism"

http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.com/

Advertisement