Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youths Rugby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Munster u19s beat connacht 23-13 tonight

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

under 18 rugby in connacht, Munster, leinster is played with age eligibility date as July 1st not January 1st like the under 13 to 17 grades.
    So it's under 18.5...

Why did it change?

Anyone see any of the u18 games today?

Friend saw some of the Munster leinster clubs game. Wasnt able to go myself as was travelling. Should be able to go to some of the next rounds.

Didn't think Munster were great. Leinster quite impressive

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2019/08/17/u18-mens-interprovincial-festival-round-1-results/

• Advertisement

Why did it change?
    Imagine clubs see change will get more playing

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Imagine clubs see change will get more playing

The main reason is too bridge the gap to U20 ( which is actually 20.5 too) and to Adult.. with U18 you had players that were still 17 years old at the start of the season meaning they couldn't play junior rugby until potentially the new year as you have to be over 18 years old to play Adult rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Garfin

Why did it change?
    Club rugby is 18.5 July 1st in Connacht so players don't get caught in no mans land where they are too young for adult rugby but too old for U18. The rep sides are Jan 1st for all the teams U16, U17, U18, U19.

[quote="Garfin;111014356" The rep sides are Jan 1st for all the teams U16, U17, U18, U19.[/quote]

So is the connacht team playing interpro u18. 5 or u18? I'm thoroughly confused lol

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

So is the connacht team playing interpro u18. 5 or u18? I'm thoroughly confused lol

The Rep sides are all Calendar year.

The club competitions are now at 18.5 everywhere except Ulster

• Advertisement

As above all the Connacht youth teams(U16,17,18,19) are 1st of Jan 2020, as are all the club cup and league grades with the exception being U18.5 boys and girls for the reasons previously referenced.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The main reason is too bridge the gap to U20 ( which is actually 20.5 too) and to Adult.. with U18 you had players that were still 17 years old at the start of the season meaning they couldn't play junior rugby until potentially the new year as you have to be over 18 years old to play Adult rugby.
    the birding gap to 20snisnt helping more clubs field at 20s or keep players interested as beyond a few city clubs no clubs play regular under 20 rugby through season in Munster.
    Connacht doesn't have a league at 20s but still has been blitz style competitions for clubs at u20 grade past few seasons.
    its not that confusing..
    All rep sides in Ireland are calender year playing off January 1st eligibility criteria
    The Rep sides are all Calendar year.

The club competitions are now at 18.5 everywhere except Ulster
    crazy that we cant get all provinces to have same system.

the birding gap to 20snisnt helping more clubs field at 20s or keep players interested as beyond a few city clubs no clubs play regular under 20 rugby through season in Munster.
    Connacht doesn't have a league at 20s but still has been blitz style competitions for clubs at u20 grade past few seasons.

I'd agree - The U20 competitions (excluding Leinster) are generally a mess as there are simply not enough clubs fielding teams.

In Munster you have 50-60 clubs fielding teams in the Munster Cup/Plate/Bowl competitions at U18.5 each year , but at best about a dozen fielding teams at U20. That's a huge drop off.

There was a proposal to shift Youths to U19 and scrap the U20 level in Munster entirely.

That would bring the competition back under Youth Rugby and might help keep players playing immediately after they leave school , but it was rejected.

crazy that we cant get all provinces to have same system.

Ulster are always different , Junior cup is U15 there , U16 everywhere else as well.

I'd agree - The U20 competitions (excluding Leinster) are generally a mess as there are simply not enough clubs fielding teams.

In Munster you have 50-60 clubs fielding teams in the Munster Cup/Plate/Bowl competitions at U18.5 each year , but at best about a dozen fielding teams at U20. That's a huge drop off.

There was a proposal to shift Youths to U19 and scrap the U20 level in Munster entirely.

That would bring the competition back under Youth Rugby and might help keep players playing immediately after they leave school , but it was rejected.
    there is too much focus of some clubs having to be at top table in 20s. And then all senior clubs in cities at that level and not wanting to be in a second division and many rural clubs simply wont be able to compete with the cons etc at 20s so then dont field. 10 Years ago there was strong division 2 for clubs like kilfeacle, nenagh, dolphin,
    Moving back to 19s isnt the answer
    Getting more one off blitz days and putting them into a series would be a step forward
    Ulster are always different, Junior cup is U15 there , U16 everywhere else as well.
    I know. But isnt it u15.5....

https://www.connachtrugby.ie/two-changes-to-connacht-u19-team-for-visit-of-leinster/
    Connacht U19s named for tomorrows game with Leinster.

CONNACHT U19s v LEINSTER, 2.30pm 21st August 2019 @ The Sportsground
    1. Conal O’Griofa (Corinthians RFC)
    2. Eoin DeBuitléar (Corinthians RFC)
    3. Alan Duffy (Ballina RFC)
    4. Cathal Fleming (Monivea RFC)
    5. Darragh Murray (Buccaneers RFC)
    6. Diarmuid McCormack (C) (Corinthians RFC)
    7. Gavin Meagher (Roscrea RFC)
    8. Donnacha Byrne (Sligo RFC)
    9. Aodha Hession (Creggs RFC)
    10. Cian Treacy (Ballinasloe RFC)
    11. Rory McCleane (Corinthians RFC)
    12. Cathal Forde (Corinthians RFC)
    13. Shane Jennings (Ballinasloe RFC)
    14. Hubert Gilvarry (Sligo RFC)
    15. Conor O’Shaughnessy (Galwegians RFC)
    16. Matthew Earley (Carrick RFC)
    17. Caolan Hopkins (Ballina RFC)
    18. Cian Scanlon (Corinthians RFC)
    19. Martin Fallon (Buccaneers RFC)
    20. Hubert Costello (Corinthians RFC)
    21. Harry Ballsiger (Buccaneers RFC)
    22. Luke Hogge (Sligo RFC)
    23. Diarmuid Kilcommins (Corinthians RFC)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Connacht 7-0 up with 20 minutes played on a rotten day in Galway.

7-0 at half time. An individual effort from Shane Jennings the difference between the sides. Connacht were winning the vast majority of collisions but Leinster seemed to be turning the tide somewhat in the last 10 minutes or so.

7-0 at half time. An individual effort from Shane Jennings the difference between the sides. Connacht were winning the vast majority of collisions but Leinster seemed to be turning the tide somewhat in the last 10 minutes or so.
    Delighted with that news Shane is a special player, this game was always going to be a big ask especially after the contrasting fortunes at the weekend. Hopefully they will be able to sustain their competitiveness in the second half.

7-7, try for Osborne was too easy.

14-7, Jennings again.

• Advertisement

Try for Soroka under the sticks, 14-14. Connacht 18 in the bin.

14-17

Try for Soroka under the sticks, 14-14. Connacht 18 in the bin.
    He is a quality player saw him last year in UL U18s Interpros and he was the standout player.

Great effort from Connacht to go through 20+ phases and win a penalty on halfway. Concede a penalty for a technical infringement from the resulting lineout, game over.

Garfin wrote: »
    He is a quality player saw him last year in UL U18s Interpros and he was the standout player.

Connacht dealt with him very well for the most part, stopped him on the gainline and/or forced a knock on a few times. He was still clearly the most powerful forward on the pitch though and demonstrated that on numerous occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Garfin wrote: »
    Delighted with that news Shane is a special player, this game was always going to be a big ask especially after the contrasting fortunes at the weekend. Hopefully they will be able to sustain their competitiveness in the second half.

Excellent all around athlete it seems. Man of the match in the All Ireland minor hurling final last year at full back. Diarmuid Kilcommins was very good too. Hopefully hurling’s loss is Connachts gain.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Excellent all around athlete it seems. Man of the match in the All Ireland minor hurling final last year at full back. Diarmuid Kilcommins was very good too. Hopefully hurling’s loss is Connachts gain.

Has he committed to rugby? He's definitely a top prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Has he committed to rugby? He's definitely a top prospect.

I don’t know for sure but I was talking to someone involved in Galway hurling who was lamenting his loss and said he hadn’t played a game of hurling since final last year so think rugby is his priority currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

The Ulster v Munster game wasn't the greatest display of rugby but I thought Munster were the better team and were unlucky to lose. Both teams tried to keep the ball when playing into the wind, but Munster were much more effective at it, and were able to essentially build phases the whole way up the pitch. Tbh, I don't think anyone really stood out, but both centres threatened half breaks every so often, and the no. 8 was strong and looked dangerous when the Ulster defence weren't set and ready for him. Munster's defence wasn't great in the short periods where Ulster were able to raise the intensity.

Ulster will be disappointed with their performance despite getting the win. Don't want to be too negative about individual performances - but from a team perspective, the line speed was slow, easy tackles were missed and Munster were never troubled at the breakdown which allowed them to walk up the pitch (I think the only turnover they won was to win the game). Suspect kicking and inexcusable knock-on's were other problem areas. On a more positive note, I thought the no. 7 and no. 2 put themselves about in attack and defence, with the hooker setting up Ulsters second try with a break from the halfway line into the 22 after a strong hand-off and an offload to the scrumhalf.

Bad conditions, a lot of work on's for both teams.

• Advertisement

The Ulster v Munster game wasn't the greatest display of rugby but I thought Munster were the better team and were unlucky to lose. Both teams tried to keep the ball when playing into the wind, but Munster were much more effective at it, and were able to essentially build phases the whole way up the pitch. Tbh, I don't think anyone really stood out, but both centres threatened half breaks every so often, and the no. 8 was strong and looked dangerous when the Ulster defence weren't set and ready for him. Munster's defence wasn't great in the short periods where Ulster were able to raise the intensity.

Ulster will be disappointed with their performance despite getting the win. Don't want to be too negative about individual performances - but from a team perspective, the line speed was slow, easy tackles were missed and Munster were never troubled at the breakdown which allowed them to walk up the pitch (I think the only turnover they won was to win the game). Suspect kicking and inexcusable knock-on's were other problem areas. On a more positive note, I thought the no. 7 and no. 2 put themselves about in attack and defence, with the hooker setting up Ulsters second try with a break from the halfway line into the 22 after a strong hand-off and an offload to the scrumhalf.

Bad conditions, a lot of work on's for both teams.

I take it this was the u19 game?

Advertisement