Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youths Rugby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭rugby_fan

Any stand out players on either side BigHeel?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 melpat54

round 4 of the shane horgan cup has been played at cill dara and as north midlands beat south east they are now on equal points with the north east until the final match

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭muscleshirt

ormond lad wrote: »
    Final will be super game. 2 strong teams.
    2 north munster south munster finals to be played in a few weeks in musgrave. Any links to match reports from the weekends games?
    garryowen had at least 4 irish youth internationals with a few munster lads as well ,bandon i don't think had any rep player but they outplayed g/o on every facet of the game,well drilled,well coached,well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

garryowen had at least 4 irish youth internationals with a few munster lads as well ,bandon i don't think had any rep player but they outplayed g/o on every facet of the game,well drilled,well coached,well done
    Madigan, Enright and a few others. Pity none of these lads clubs could field at 19s but at least they have rugby for the season.
    Hopefully next year these lads clubs will field at 19s.
    Bandon had a few players on south teams(93s,94s) but have a very strong team and are very well coached

Waterpark beat Nenagh in the East Munster u15 League Final on Sunday 14-5. This win on sunday means Waterpark are this seasons champions in the u13/15/17 and u19 East Munster Leagues. This is the first time in East Munster history that this has happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 skip64

Waterpark beat Nenagh in the East Munster u15 League Final on Sunday 14-5. This win on sunday means Waterpark are this seasons champions in the u13/15/17 and u19 East Munster Leagues. This is the first time in East Munster history that this has happened

excellent for a Waterford based team.. its a pity some of the other clubs don't have the numbers or may a City in the midst of its surrounding. but lets not take it away from them. a great Club.
    note - Dungarvan Under-15's... lost to Waterpark by 3 points...and drew with them in Waterpark. Fethard bet Dungarvan U-15's by 3-points... in my estimates the best Under-15 Rugby game that i saw in the past 12 months. WELL DONE TO ALL... another year over.
    Am i still correct in my assumption at the start of the year on Bruff winning the UNDER-17's.

skip64 wrote: »
    excellent for a Waterford based team.. its a pity some of the other clubs don't have the numbers or may a City in the midst of its surrounding. but lets not take it away from them. a great Club.
    note - Dungarvan Under-15's... lost to Waterpark by 3 points...and drew with them in Waterpark. Fethard bet Dungarvan U-15's by 3-points... in my estimates the best Under-15 Rugby game that i saw in the past 12 months. WELL DONE TO ALL... another year over.
    Am i still correct in my assumption at the start of the year on Bruff winning the UNDER-17's.
    Munster branch should be doing everything they can to improve waterford city rfc. City the size of waterford should have at least 2 strong clubs underage.
    Year not over yet skip, cups and plates not finished yet.

I think you may be correct on bruff at 17s, i know a few people who've seen them play and they are a fine side with a monstrous pack of forwards and if they are to be beaten it will be a very good side that does beat them

Agree on the Waterford City ... it is also a fine club but seems to be the poor relation to the Park. Youghal/Dungarvan/City are tying to keep guys playing for another couple of games at Under-19. good game last Saturday...Ballincollig V Youghal . collig put it up to the guys with Youghal coming away 17-10 winners. i had an email with a couple of friends regarding Under-19's ...and numbers. see G/own bet by Bandon...but i have my reservations on the likes of G/own pulling in players from well outside its region and other clubs...

Agree on the Waterford City ... it is also a fine club but seems to be the poor relation to the Park. Youghal/Dungarvan/City are tying to keep guys playing for another couple of games at Under-19. good game last Saturday...Ballincollig V Youghal . collig put it up to the guys with Youghal coming away 17-10 winners. i had an email with a couple of friends regarding Under-19's ...and numbers. see G/own bet by Bandon...but i have my reservations on the likes of G/own pulling in players from well outside its region and other clubs...
    Good to see Dungarvan, Waterford City and Youghal combining to play in the south league when it looked like 3 clubs wouldnt have any more games for their players to play in. Hope next season more clubs can look to their example as well as Shannon-St Marys and combine to ensure the 17/18 years around the province get regular games
    Feel the same about Garryowen, when you looked at their 19s they had 3 or 4 munster or irish youths and all of them only joined the club this season. While in some cases some of those players original clubs struggled to field(or didnt at all) if those clubs had their munster/irish youths players they could have used them to help bring in numbers and fielded in their respective leagues
    Structure of 19s league should be look at again by the regional and provincial youth committees. But what changes can they make??

Personally... i think the media needs to cover the club games with the same emphasis it does to the collage games...the rest i need to think about. but i am sure there are way to fix it...and not to have potential drifting by the wayside..

• Advertisement

Personally... i think the media needs to cover the club games with the same emphasis it does to the collage games...the rest i need to think about. but i am sure there are way to fix it...and not to have potential drifting by the wayside..
    Dont you mean secondary schools not colleges??
    The Munster Youths Committee doesnt have a PRO afaik, and that impacts slightly on their ability to promot the Pan Munster Leagues.
    If even just to send the results of games to all the newspapers and to ensure all results are sent in to the munster website on time so players/coaches/parents know who'll theyll be playing next and where and when etc.

While getting newspapers involved should happen, the first thing that needs to be done is ensuring results are sent into the munster website on time as if you look at the fixtures and results some clubs are very slow at sending in results.
    A great way to promote the Youths structure in munster/ireland would be to invite all the major rugby journalists to the provincial/all ireland finals as if the likes of thornley/ward/toland etc were there and did reports etc on the games it would be great publicity for the youths structure

Dont you mean secondary schools not colleges??
    The Munster Youths Committee doesnt have a PRO afaik, and that impacts slightly on their ability to promot the Pan Munster Leagues.
    If even just to send the results of games to all the newspapers and to ensure all results are sent in to the munster website on time so players/coaches/parents know who'll theyll be playing next and where and when etc.

While getting newspapers involved should happen, the first thing that needs to be done is ensuring results are sent into the munster website on time as if you look at the fixtures and results some clubs are very slow at sending in results.
    A great way to promote the Youths structure in munster/ireland would be to invite all the major rugby journalists to the provincial/all ireland finals as if the likes of thornley/ward/toland etc were there and did reports etc on the games it would be great publicity for the youths structure

I am always of the opinion... that a great idea should be followed through :-).. I must get on my bike as i have a meeting... good to chat. will follow up later with my thoughts... I am sure there are other great ideas out there that could plant a seed of thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 clubrug

Clubs like Garryowen, having 3-4 youths representatives do not guarantee results, Bandon were unlucky two years ago and are a fine team. We all know that just because these lads have been representatives, do not make them far superior than good club players, also the fact that these youths have not really had much of a break from rugby maybe for 18 months can affect form also. The kids cannot blamed joining the likes of Garryowen and best of luck to them, but cannot see them go back to their native clubs, especially if they are encouraged lets say to go to college in Limerick. I wonder did any other players from the likes of Charleville or Abbeyfeale or the likes transfer to Garryowen also? I have no beef against that club and in all honesty most clubs would of welcomed those lads with open arms.

Problem with 19s have been there for years and nothing much has been done to address the issue, not easily addressed, but what really annoys me is that from the age of 7-8 we coached lads and seen them develop not only as rugby players but fine young men and with the hope that they may play and enjoy the game for sometime, bring maybe 5-6 players to first and seconds etc yet instead it appears that far too easily they are left to drift away. The majority of kids want to continue playing, enjoy it and play with lads that they may play against in the GAA, but if the club is not successful, what chance have they to keep boys playing. How many clubs can field U21 teams, 19s the new 21s?

Amalgamate clubs, seems to be the way. Think the best way to "promote the Youths structure" is to actually have each and all clubs have a game each weekend, bring province I know.

Ormond Lad, you mentioned Munster A Schools trials, how would I get them to have a look at a maybe 3 of our lads? heard nothing about trials, again feeling neglected, but would have maybe 2 in mind that would be hungry and good enough to make the squad, the other might just be good for his confidence and a experience for him.

clubrug wrote: »
    Clubs like Garryowen, having 3-4 youths representatives do not guarantee results, Bandon were unlucky two years ago and are a fine team. We all know that just because these lads have been representatives, do not make them far superior than good club players, also the fact that these youths have not really had much of a break from rugby maybe for 18 months can affect form also. The kids cannot blamed joining the likes of Garryowen and best of luck to them, but cannot see them go back to their native clubs, especially if they are encouraged lets say to go to college in Limerick. I wonder did any other players from the likes of Charleville or Abbeyfeale or the likes transfer to Garryowen also? I have no beef against that club and in all honesty most clubs would of welcomed those lads with open arms.

Problem with 19s have been there for years and nothing much has been done to address the issue, not easily addressed, but what really annoys me is that from the age of 7-8 we coached lads and seen them develop not only as rugby players but fine young men and with the hope that they may play and enjoy the game for sometime, bring maybe 5-6 players to first and seconds etc yet instead it appears that far too easily they are left to drift away. The majority of kids want to continue playing, enjoy it and play with lads that they may play against in the GAA, but if the club is not successful, what chance have they to keep boys playing. How many clubs can field U21 teams, 19s the new 21s?

Amalgamate clubs, seems to be the way. Think the best way to "promote the Youths structure" is to actually have each and all clubs have a game each weekend, bring province I know.

Ormond Lad, you mentioned Munster A Schools trials, how would I get them to have a look at a maybe 3 of our lads? heard nothing about trials, again feeling neglected, but would have maybe 2 in mind that would be hungry and good enough to make the squad, the other might just be good for his confidence and a experience for him.
    19s certainly isnt the new 21s
    On Garryowen, having 3 or 4 interpro players doesnt guarantee results at all but does help a huge amount as these players will have played at a higher level and generally 1 or 2 players make a huge difference in underage games
    You never know about them going back to their original club, depends on their ties to the club
    Amalganating clubs is the way to go. In East Munster for example there is 12 clubs and this year at 17s every club fielded seperate teams and at 19s 3 clubs fielded on their own and 8 clubs combined to make up another 4 teams
    On the A schools. There is 2 more sessions before an initial squad is picked. The next session is not for a few weeks afaik.
    Ed Daly one of the branch development officers was running the session. If you have a branch red book, i think contact details for ed are in it, if not try here which is a way to contact the Munster Domestic Game Department
    Dont worry about not hearing about the sessions as most people involved in clubs didnt as most players at the session were from the B schools

most if not all club and school secretaries were notified about the munster A schools screening

most if not all club and school secretaries were notified about the munster A schools screening
    Most certainly were not notified for 1st session as quite a few lads from other clubs in tipp had heard nothing about the 1st session. they will be notified about the 2nd session

Most certainly were not notified for 1st session as quite a few lads from other clubs in tipp had heard nothing about the 1st session. they will be notified about the 2nd session
    everyone in west munster were informed,if was up to your community rugby officer in your region to keep the schools and clubs up to speed

• Registered Users Posts: 27 clubrug

No secretary at our club or a couple of others notified and was told there was no players from the O' Brien cup schools final. May be their plan to view lads at another screening, hope so.

clubrug wrote: »
    No secretary at our club or a couple of others notified and was told there was no players from the O' Brien cup schools final. May be their plan to view lads at another screening, hope so.
    Contact the branch or get your youth officer to ask your regional youth committee when the next training sessions are on

Both Munster finals set for paddys day according to munsterrugby. The 17s final is set for a 12pm kick off with the 19s set for a 1.30pm kick off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭BigHeel

rugby_fan wrote: »
    Any stand out players on either side BigHeel?
    Gorey 1 to 8 were excellent. Although I understand from some of the Gorey people there that they were missing their best player with the flu that day.

South Munster 17s and 19s Cup Draw have been made

Round 1
    Saturday 10th March
    A. Crosshaven v Cobh Pirates
    Saturday 24th March
    B. Highfield v Fermoy
    C. Clonakilty v Youghal
    D. Kanturk v Bandon
    Semis
    A v B
    C v D

South u17 Cup
    1st round
    Crosshaven v Cobh Pirates
    Skibbereen v Highfield

South u17 Development Cup
    Dolphin v Dunmanway
    Kinsale v Midleton
    Mallow v Youghal

Leinater U17 Premier Final on tomorrow in NUIM at 12.30. Should be a cracking game between Navan and Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭KJY

BigHeel wrote: »
    Leinater U17 Premier Final on tomorrow in NUIM at 12.30. Should be a cracking game between Navan and Mullingar.

Any word on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭munsterfan2

Navan with a late try to win 10 - 7 AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 barnhallblues

is there any professional rugby players who never made underage ireland/provincial teams?
    if so , a list would be appreciated
    thanks

Navan with a late try to win 10 - 7 AFAIK
    Yes Navan squeezed in for a try right at the death while Mullingar had one pleyer in the Bin.

still no bit of promo for sat club finals on the munster site,all about the schools final

still no bit of promo for sat club finals on the munster site,all about the schools final
    Would imagine something will be up on the munster site tomorrow or thursday

North Munster cup draws have been made. the full draw not up on munsterrugby.ie but Ennis fixtures are up on their website
    http://ennisrfc.ie/?page_id=526

• Advertisement

Dungarvan bet Waterpark in under-15 cup on Sunday. 27-17. Waterpark went ahead 12 nil. Dungarvan guys worked hard with a never say die attitude. Well done !!!

Advertisement