Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

making raised veg beds

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Reclaimed sleepers can be used for flower beds but I wouldnt uses them for growing any veg...for obvious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭madchild

Great advice here i got 8 four foot scaffolding planks about an hour ago after reading this thread 1.50 each and he has plenty more along with 8 foots but as my garden is small i,ll stick with the 4 foots now to get some soil to fill them:D

Oh forgot to mention a look on donedeal in my county and the lad lived a mile away from me and 4 foots fit easily in the car too..

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

madchild wrote: »
    Great advice here i got 8 four foot scaffolding planks about an hour ago after reading this thread 1.50 each and he has plenty more along with 8 foots but as my garden is small i,ll stick with the 4 foots now to get some soil to fill them:D

Oh forgot to mention a look on donedeal in my county and the lad lived a mile away from me and 4 foots fit easily in the car too..
    Your county??? Louth??

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

Gavin wrote: »
    200 euro for a raised bed and soil !! Holy Guacamole !

The soil mix is the expensive bit. A regular mix can cost €75 per tonne. Add on transport...

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

Sorry, just realised that this thread is two years old and has been dug up (npi).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭madchild

Mylow wrote: »
    Your county??? Louth??

CAVAN east 45 mins from Dundalk

• Registered Users Posts: 1 walsha23

AnthonyB wrote: »
    Scaffolding planks are 8 feet by 9 inches by 3 inches. And yeah, they're not as tidy. But one fifth at the cost, even at €3 versus €15. If you're only buying three or four it's not too bad, but it still adds up!

Where would I Buy new Scaffold Planks in Dublin for 3 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

A suggestion, know anyone getting a new roof, offer to 'take' old rafters off their hands. I kept the old rafters when I got the house re-roofed, loads of timber for projects now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Same here - I kept our old floor boards & joists when we had them replaced a couple of years back. As it happens, I'm in the middle of building a raised bed with them this weekend. I had to buy a couple of posts from Woodies, but other than that it's all free wood that has been sitting in the garden under cover. I know the floorboards aren't necessarily going to last forever, but it's not like I can't replace them again.

The attached photo isn't the best, but it's still a work in progress. It might look pretty high, but I'm dealing with a slope (two slopes actually) as well, so that corner is going to be extra deep. I'll stick my carrots there - give them plenty of room. ;)

z

Woodies might be pricey for posts, I got some in the nearest agri-store, 2x2 fencing posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Sometimes I envy country folk. My nearest agri-store is . . . I don't know where it is, but its a long way from me anyway. I know the price in Woodies was a lot more than I needed to pay, but I only needed to get a couple. 4 * 1.8m posts was something like €18 which is a lot more than it's worth, but it allowed me to get building Saturday morning. I only used 2 of them so I could have got away with €9 or so. Certainly, if I was buying the boards for the bed I wouldn't have gone to Woodies or it would have been in the hundreds.

z

Sorry zagmund, living in the back of beyond I forget there's civilisation out there! Good on ye for being determined to get the project done!

Advertisement