Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

making raised veg beds

Options
  • 22-03-2011 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

is it ok/safe to use pressure treated sleepers to make raised vegetable bed. i have read conflicting information so i'm all confused now

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

They'd be perfect IMO. However, if you're worried about timber preservative getting into your soil tack a sheet of weed suppressant membrane (terram) onto the inside of the timber so it forms a barrier between the timber and your soil. This is available in most garden centres, Woodies etc.
    If the timber has just been pressure treated and not treated with preservative then this will not be necessary.
    Raised beds are a really good way to grow vegetables especially if ease of maintenance and tidiness are priorities for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭AnthonyB

is it ok/safe to use pressure treated sleepers to make raised vegetable bed. i have read conflicting information so i'm all confused now

thanks

We looked at railway sleepers but they are really expensive, and while they look nice, sheesh...

What we ended up doing is getting scaffolding planks. Chadwicks or anyone who used to hire out scaffolding when we used to have a building industry are throwing them out the door - I got a bale of 50 for €140, and built great big beds three planks high to plant trees in. You'll generally pick them up for €3 a piece, or even less. As opposed to sleepers which will cost you €20. Just make sure and treat them with some kind of wood preservative on the inside before you build the beds, and give them some time to dry. We painted the insides with a regular brown wood preservative, and the outside with a green stain. Was a great days work!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

AnthonyB wrote: »
    We looked at railway sleepers but they are really expensive, and while they look nice, sheesh...

What we ended up doing is getting scaffolding planks. Chadwicks or anyone who used to hire out scaffolding when we used to have a building industry are throwing them out the door - I got a bale of 50 for €140, and built great big beds three planks high to plant trees in. You'll generally pick them up for €3 a piece, or even less. As opposed to sleepers which will cost you €20. Just make sure and treat them with some kind of wood preservative on the inside before you build the beds, and give them some time to dry. We painted the insides with a regular brown wood preservative, and the outside with a green stain. Was a great days work!

8 foot long new pressure treated sleepers arent expensive.

8 feet long,5 inches thick,9 inches tall is size.

15-18 euro a sleeper here in Dublin.

I bought a load of them recently for 15 euro.:D

paddy147 wrote: »

Scaffolding planks are 8 feet by 9 inches by 3 inches. And yeah, they're not as tidy. But one fifth at the cost, even at €3 versus €15. If you're only buying three or four it's not too bad, but it still adds up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Original genuine railway sleepers are treated with creosote which is not good for raised veggie beds.

A potential compromise between the roughness of scaffolding planks and the price of 8x2s is fencing d-rail. I am using 1.2m lengths of d-rail to build beds. The smaller lengths make it more convenient to transport in a car. Price works out at 2.25 a length. 3 high is 30cm, a reasonable depth. Pressure treated.

• Advertisement

Gavin wrote: »
    Original genuine railway sleepers are treated with creosote which is not good for raised veggie beds.

I used old reclaimed sleepers for a raised back garden and just for planting,and I used brand new pressure treated sleepers (non creasote) for raised veg beds.

taytoo wrote: »
    Have a look at us on [URL="http://ie[/URL]

Great 1st ever post for a complete newbie.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Crazy prices,you can buy it elsewhere or make it yourself for a fraction of those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

thanks for all the information everybody

paddy, the sleepers look lovely. when you put one on top of the other, what do you use to secure them?

thanks for all the information everybody

paddy, the sleepers look lovely. when you put one on top of the other, what do you use to secure them?

The 1st/base row of sleepers were layed in a trench of leveled sharp sand,then 2 x 2 pressure treated wooden stakes,hammered into the ground behind the sleepers at various intervals.

Each sleeper was then fixed to the stakes from the inside with 100mm long outdoor screws.100mm screw right through the stake into the back of the sleeper.

Also each sleeper was also fixed to the sleeper below it with the same screws screwed in at a 45 degree angle.

Solid as a rock and wont move an inch either.:)

taytoo wrote: »
    Paddy,

Sure the price is as low as possible, we use ...... expensive but renewable, durable and splinter proof, unlike what looks like creosote rail sleeper in the photo you attached. You can no longer get creosote as it poisons the soil. Really like your design though, maybe you could overcome the creosote (if it is creosote)by lining the raised garden with plastic.

I see you are back again,still trying to plug your company and the expensive stuff you sell.You aint fooling me though.And somehow,I dont think you will fool the mods either.

The old sleepers havent done any damage to any of my plants/flowers or trees or any other gardens that I have seen them used in.They are also used in state owned gardens and castles like Phoenix Park and Ardgillan House too,again they dont do any harm to the plants,flowers or shrubs (anything non vegetable/edible).

Old sleepers have been used for generations all around Ireland for borders and rasied beds for planting and garden features.

I used the old sleepers for raised beds for plants,flowers and shrubs only.

I used the new 8 feet long pressure treated sleepers (non creasote) for raised veg beds/plots (8 x 4 feet in size).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 adrnola

Hi All -

Like lots of other people I am looking to get a "raised bed" garden up and going.

Does anyone know where I can get Scaffolding Planks ? I am located in Gort Co. Galway.

Thanks,
    A

3 euro 50 cents each for an 8 foot long,9 inch high and 2.5 inch thick scaffold plank here in Dublin.

4 foot planks are 2 euro 50 cents.

Perfect for making an 8 x 4 raised veggie bed.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

adrnola wrote: »
    Hi All -

Like lots of other people I am looking to get a "raised bed" garden up and going.

Does anyone know where I can get Scaffolding Planks ? I am located in Gort Co. Galway.

Thanks,
    A
    3 euro 50 cents each for an 8 foot long,9 inch high and 2.5 inch thick scaffold plank here in Dublin.

A - call the building hire companies around you these guys have stacks of them lying around. I also saw a heap for sale on Done Deal down Offaly a couple o weeks back plenty out there OK for little money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭oneill787

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

thanks for all the advice and info everybody....as of a few days ago i am now the proud owner of two raised beds!!! my husband made them from scaffold planks. am so delighted with them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

oneill787 wrote: »

200 euro for a raised bed and soil !! Holy Guacamole !

15 euro for an 8 x 4 foot raised bed made from 2.5 inch thick scaffolding planks.:D

This crowd are seriously taking the pi55 and living in a dream world.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

15 euro for an 8 x 4 foot raised bed made from 2.5 inch thick scaffolding planks.:D

This crowd are seriously taking the pi55 and living in a dream world.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

€200 that's unreal and I bet they are selling a couple too.

Scaffold planks all the way for me too mind you I removed the metal end protectors got them chrome plated and replaced them for a bit o bling :P

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Anthonyk2010

I have a good few old creasote sleepers, if i lined the inside of them with plastic would they be safe to use for raised beds?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭l5lr

Made 5 giant beds out of the same decking planks for under €100 in under 6 hours. Bet he's making a killing because some people are too lazy to make their own :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭vaalea

l5lr wrote: »
    Made 5 giant beds out of the same decking planks for under €100 in under 6 hours. Bet he's making a killing because some people are too lazy to make their own :eek:

I bet you that no one is stupid enough to buy them at that complete and utter ripp off price (especially in this day and age).

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

A local sawmill has 16' lengths of timber around 10"x2" for €12 each. Perfect for raised beds. Still haven't picked up mine yet, have to get a friend with a trailer to pick them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

First Paddy, love ur pics, very very nice.

Second where did you get your scaffolding planks from for €3.50, Ive been quoted €5

Third where did u get your brand new pressure treated sleepers (non creasote) from and for how much?

Please and thank you
    Regards
    Iba

iba wrote: »
    First Paddy, love ur pics, very very nice.

Second where did you get your scaffolding planks from for €3.50, Ive been quoted €5

Third where did u get your brand new pressure treated sleepers (non creasote) from and for how much?

Please and thank you
    Regards
    Iba

Chadwicks in Midleton (Cork) selling them for €3 each, €150 for a bale of 50. They're really handy. I sanded some down and made a potting bench against a wall and a work bench for the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

AnthonyB wrote: »
    Chadwicks in Midleton (Cork) selling them for €3 each, €150 for a bale of 50. They're really handy. I sanded some down and made a potting bench against a wall and a work bench for the garage.

Sorry should have said Im in Dublin.

Chadwicks in Lucan have queoted €5.50

iba wrote: »
    Sorry should have said Im in Dublin.

Chadwicks in Lucan have queoted €5.50

Maybe they'll give you a better price for a bale, if you can use that many (my beds are three planks high). Also, other Chadwicks in Dublin might have different prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Whereabouts Paddy? Down in Wicklow myself and the local builders merchant is quoting me a tenner. Worth a travel for your price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Yika

Hi can you send on to me contact? I wanna get 15 (oak) sleepers but cant get them under 25€.
    Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I have a good few old creasote sleepers, if i lined the inside of them with plastic would they be safe to use for raised beds?

perhaps for flowers but i would be very wary of using them for vegis.

Advertisement