Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thyroid misery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

CathyMoran wrote: »
    In my case my father knew that I had it (as he, my aunts, uncles and grandparents on his side had had it) - he got me tested by an endochrinologist. I have a few other overactive imune system illnesses (Type 1 diabetes diagnosed when I was 10 and sarcoidosis diagnosed when I was in my mid 30's). There are worse things than graves and I have some of them:P

So you have more than one autoimmune problem. Sorry to hear that btw, I have a few other things going on, but gp didn't think there was a link between autoimmune diseases.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

inocybe wrote: »
    So you have more than one autoimmune problem. Sorry to hear that btw, I have a few other things going on, but gp didn't think there was a link between autoimmune diseases.
    I am also a 6 year oesophageal cancer survivor so the thyroid of all things really gets relegated but it gets tested the same time as the diabetes. I was always told that people that get one ovetractive immune illness are more likely to have others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

My dad, uncle and aunts are all type 1 diabetics, one granny had graves, the other diabetes,an underactive thyroid and pernicious anaemia. I'm checked regularly for diabetes etc: there is a definite link afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭LimerickBishop

Diagnosed NOV '09 TSH of 75. Put on 75mcg of Eltroxin. 100KG
    Blood Test MAR '10 TSH of 17. Kept on 75mcg of Eltroxin. 95KG
    Blood Test JUL '10 TSH of 15. Put on 100mcg of Eltroxin. 93KG
    Blood Test SEP '10 TSH of 12. Kept on 100mcg of Eltroxin. 92KG
    Blood Test NOV '10 TSH of 10. Put on 125mcg of Eltroxin. 91KG
    Blood Test JAN '11 TSH of 5. Kept on 125mcg of Eltroxin. 90KG
    Blood Test APR '11 TSH of 4.18. Kept on 125mcg of Eltroxin. 89KG
    Blood Test JUL '11 TSH of 2.40. Kept on 125mcg of Eltroxin. 84KG
    Blood Test SEP '11 TSH of 6.04. Kept on 125mcg of Eltroxin. 85KG
    Blood Test NOV '11 TSH of 3.00. Kept on 125mcg of Eltroxin. 85KG
    Blood Test MAR '12 TSH of 11.80. Put on M-F 125mcg /S-S 150 mcg of Eltroxin. 86KG
    Blood Test JUN '12 TSH of 5.10. Kept on M-F 125mcg /S-S 150 mcg of Eltroxin. 89KG
    Blood Test NOV '12 TSH of 6.00. Kept on M-Th 125mcg /F-S 150 mcg of Eltroxin. 86KG
    Blood Test MAY '13 TSH of 1.70. Adjusted to M-W 125mcg /T-S 150 mcg of Eltroxin. 88KG

Hello All,

My TSH went right down to 1.7 recently. I was surprised since I didn't feel much different on a physical level, however on an emotional level things have been much better as my love life improved significantly - I'm sure this has something to do with TSH as no other changes occurred since November of last year apart from giving up cigarettes completely again (only 1 or 2 a day).

I'm still a little overweight, but that's because I like my treats (which I will try to give up soon), and I'm waiting for summer to kick in with a bang before I take up jogging again, although I have enjoyed swimming in the last 2 weeks while I was on holiday.

Ferritin came in at 375 ug/l, good range is 30 - 400, so I'm just inside it. Is ferritin something to do with T4 does anyone know?

My GP advised a slight change in dose, up 25mcg per week when I saw him 3 weeks prior to the blood test.

Is going hyper now a risk after moving from 6.00 to 1.70?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭lovelystuff

Hi all,just back from the endo, who told me my tsh is now 1.1 (last appointment I was at 5.5,felt terrible!)this is after a year of levothyroxine for underactive. Its weird though,because although this is the lowest tsh I have ever had, I have been so wrecked the last week! The Dr said it was probably unrelated. Gah! Frustrating, but maybe Im making the mistake of blaming everything on thyroid when it may just be general sickness! At least my numbers are good I guess,and I have lost weight so who knows! Thanks for reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pixied

Hi

Im new to hypothyroidism and would like to get myself good treatment.

Can anyone advise of a great consultant and dietician in Dublin. Im based in south-west Dublin, bordering Kildare.

A family member sees Dr B#rg#rry in the Charlemont Clinic for diabetes but Im not sure if he is good for hypothyroidism as well.

I had chest pains recently and passed out as Im adjusting to eltroxin (25) and Im also having short term memory loss so any advise or help appreciated.:)

Thanks!
    Pix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

Pixied wrote: »
    Hi

Can anyone advise of a great consultant and dietician in Dublin. Im based in south-west Dublin, bordering Kildare.

A family member sees Dr B#rg#rry in the Charlemont Clinic for diabetes but Im not sure if he is good for hypothyroidism as well.

I had chest pains recently and passed out as Im adjusting to eltroxin (25) and Im also having short term memory loss so any advise or help appreciated.:)

Thanks!
    Pix
    First rule: it's not all the thyroid. Having thyroid disease does not stop you getting any other disease or illness.

You had chest pains, short term memory problems and passed out! Unless you know why, do not put it down to the thyroid. Get checked out. See your dr. Any dr.

About 50% of Irish people struggle with weight. That means that every second person with thyroid disease that is perfectly controlled, will have weight issues.

10% of Irish people suffer with depression so 10% of people with perfectly controlled thyroid disease will have depression.

By extension therefore 5% if people with perfectly controlled thyroid disease will be depressed and have weight issues.

Finally 1 in 3 Irish people will get cancer and 1 in 3 will get heart disease. That means that 66% of people with thyroid disease will get cancer and/or heart disease.

Just my little rant. Look after yourself (as everyone else should) and remember, it's not all about the thyroid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Diagnosed NOV '09 TSH of 75. Put on 75mcg of Eltroxin. 100KG
    Blood Test MAR '10 TSH of 17. Kept on 75mcg of Eltroxin. 95KG
    Blood Test JUL '10 TSH of 15. Put on 100mcg of Eltroxin. 93KG
    Blood Test SEP '10 TSH of 12. Kept on 100mcg of Eltroxin. 92KG
    Blood Test NOV '10 TSH of 10. Put on 125mcg of Eltroxin. 91KG
    Blood Test JAN '11 TSH of 5. Kept on 125mcg of Eltroxin. 90KG
    Blood Test APR '11 TSH of 4.18. Kept on 125mcg of Eltroxin. 89KG
    Blood Test JUL '11 TSH of 2.40. Kept on 125mcg of Eltroxin. 84KG
    Blood Test SEP '11 TSH of 6.04. Kept on 125mcg of Eltroxin. 85KG
    Blood Test NOV '11 TSH of 3.00. Kept on 125mcg of Eltroxin. 85KG
    Blood Test MAR '12 TSH of 11.80. Put on M-F 125mcg /S-S 150 mcg of Eltroxin. 86KG
    Blood Test JUN '12 TSH of 5.10. Kept on M-F 125mcg /S-S 150 mcg of Eltroxin. 89KG
    Blood Test NOV '12 TSH of 6.00. Kept on M-Th 125mcg /F-S 150 mcg of Eltroxin. 86KG
    Blood Test MAY '13 TSH of 1.70. Adjusted to M-W 125mcg /T-S 150 mcg of Eltroxin. 88KG

Hello All,

My TSH went right down to 1.7 recently. I was surprised since I didn't feel much different on a physical level, however on an emotional level things have been much better as my love life improved significantly - I'm sure this has something to do with TSH as no other changes occurred since November of last year apart from giving up cigarettes completely again (only 1 or 2 a day).

I'm still a little overweight, but that's because I like my treats (which I will try to give up soon), and I'm waiting for summer to kick in with a bang before I take up jogging again, although I have enjoyed swimming in the last 2 weeks while I was on holiday.

Ferritin came in at 375 ug/l, good range is 30 - 400, so I'm just inside it. Is ferritin something to do with T4 does anyone know?

My GP advised a slight change in dose, up 25mcg per week when I saw him 3 weeks prior to the blood test.

Is going hyper now a risk after moving from 6.00 to 1.70?

How are you feeling now?

I got myself some NDT and have begun self medicating. Only day two but feel good so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Rosie1983

Pixied wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks!
    Pix

I go to see that Endo in Charlemont clinic. He's definitely been a lot more helpful amd knowledgable than my GP. I would say he's worth going to see. After trying Eltroxin for two years and not getting anywhere, he has now prescribed Erfa. It's only been 8 weeks or so, but I had a blood test done at around the 5 weeks mark and my TSH and T4 had come back into the normal range, but my T3 was slightly higher than normal. So I think it's agreeing with me more than the Eltroxin, as that's a fairly quick turnaround, but it's early days so we'll have to wait and see...

Best of luck. If you're anything like me (and most thyroid patients) it will take quite a while to get under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Belladawna

How is the efra working for you now Rosie?

• Advertisement

Hi Belladawna,

So far so good I think. Definitely feeling a bit more like myself. It's so hard to describe thyroid symptoms and it's only been about 12 weeks since I started. But my mood seems more stable, and my energy levels are definitely better. I also took up running about 8 weeks ago, something I never thought I could do! That's really helped my energy as well. I can't imagine doing that earlier in the year. It's a bit of a chicken and egg thing, because if you're underactive, you have less energy, which makes you less likely to exercise, which means you have even less energy...

I'm due to go back to have a bloods done in about 2 weeks. I'll keep you all posted. I think I've lost about 7 pounds since I stared in April. But my scales is useless so I'm not quite sure. Still have a long way to go to lose the other two stone though... Feeling more hopeful now. I do think the Erfa is working for me better than the Etroxin ever did! :)

One thing I've noticed this past year is I've had loads of bad colds and flus! I never used to have so many. I'm not exaggerating when I've say I've been sick every two months or more since last October. My immune system is useless! It could also be because I've been doing a college course and so I'm in contact with lots of people and their germs, but it's driving me mad. I'm going to ask my Endo if this is something that is common with hypothyroid, does it weaken your immune system. Also, since I've been on the the Erfa, I seem to be sweating a lot more, but that could be the hot weather. I'm definitely sweaiter than most people! And it all seems to be coming out of my head/face! Very frustrating!

haha....great to hear. I am so impressed with your running! It's important to find exercise we enjoy.

I am on a different brand of NDT, but am a bit the same as yourself: feeling a lot better mentally and mood-wise, but still having issues of one sort or another. My weight is still very up and down, I can go up and down a half-stone in a week and often do :(
    ....but I freely admit I haven't been exercising at all. The hot weather is not my cup of tea, and like yourself, I notice I have been sweating a lot more too, which also makes me not want to go out. I am only now beginning week 6 of NDT, so it's early days yet but I am down a half stone from where I started, officially, not that it really matters, as like you, I still have two more stone to go!Only when I add regular exercise and weights back in will I feel good about getting healthy, as this up and down crack might just be water/sodium issues.

I am optimistic though. Am starting an exercise regime next week, as my food is a lot better now and I have a handle on what is good for me and what's not so good (gluten, too many goitrens, etc) though I do worry a little bit about the flouride in the water, but ah, life is too short to be worrying about things I can't control. I was buying bottled water from the North but it became too bothersome and I hate having all the plastic bottles about.

Looking forward to hearing your blood results, my next text is end of August, will share my own then too.

Take care:)

I mean to ask you Rosie, re: your colds/immune system...are you taking supplements? Far as I can tell it's really really important for us.

I am taking loads now: selenium, magnesium, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Iron, Vitamin B, have to buy Vitamin K today as I heard the Vitamin D might not be working right without it.

Plus: gut health. I am trying to remember to take some apple cider vinegar in water everyday, as I heard we don't have good gut health and this can prevent proper absorbtion of nutrients in food, etc.

Belladawna wrote: »
    I mean to ask you Rosie, re: your colds/immune system...are you taking supplements? Far as I can tell it's really really important for us.

I am taking loads now: selenium, magnesium, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Iron, Vitamin B, have to buy Vitamin K today as I heard the Vitamin D might not be working right without it.

Plus: gut health. I am trying to remember to take some apple cider vinegar in water everyday, as I heard we don't have good gut health and this can prevent proper absorbtion of nutrients in food, etc.

Yep I normally take a solgar multivitamin for women. I take that about 75% of the time. And I get bad hayfever every year from end of May/ beginning of June til mid July, so I've been taking a Solaray supplement called QBC Plex which is a natural antihistamine with a high dose of Vit C, but I started taking it a bit late this year as I had to order it online.

I get my Vit D checked every few months. Last year it was a bit low, so I started taking liquid Vit D3, solgar as well. Brought it up to a very good level within a few months. My endo was very impressed! Haven't taken it in a while though, must stock up.

Supplements definitely help. Luckily my gut seems to be fine - the only complaint I have is the fat sitting on top of it!! Haha! I have fairly good digestion. Probably because I eat quite well, with as much organic, local food as possible, and drink lots of water every day.

I think this year my hayfever was worse on my sinuses and nose than usual, and may have given me a bit if a sinus infection... Still very phlegmy now...

I think it's nearly always better to take a good quality multivitamin and then supplement with whatever you're actually deficient in, than to take individual vitamins. They all work together, so taking single ones isn't a great idea. At least that's what my other doctor told me. Makes sense. Keep an eye on your Vit D, get it checked when you're getting your thyroid bloods done.

I've now made it to my goal of running for 30 mins straight without stopping!! So chuffed! It's definitely helping my energy and my mood. Making me more hungry though - so have to be careful.. Going back soon to have bloods done. Very curious to see what they say. Been on the Erfa about 13 weeks I think..

Great! I am curious to see your results as well, good luck.

Ps: I bought 5 bags of various 'sea vegetables' today.....hoping this will give me a good boost as well. I really need to increase my water intake though, thanks for the reminder :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Rosie1983 wrote: »
    Hi Belladawna,

So far so good I think. Definitely feeling a bit more like myself. It's so hard to describe thyroid symptoms and it's only been about 12 weeks since I started. But my mood seems more stable, and my energy levels are definitely better. I also took up running about 8 weeks ago, something I never thought I could do! That's really helped my energy as well. I can't imagine doing that earlier in the year. It's a bit of a chicken and egg thing, because if you're underactive, you have less energy, which makes you less likely to exercise, which means you have even less energy...

I'm due to go back to have a bloods done in about 2 weeks. I'll keep you all posted. I think I've lost about 7 pounds since I stared in April. But my scales is useless so I'm not quite sure. Still have a long way to go to lose the other two stone though... Feeling more hopeful now. I do think the Erfa is working for me better than the Etroxin ever did! :)

One thing I've noticed this past year is I've had loads of bad colds and flus! I never used to have so many. I'm not exaggerating when I've say I've been sick every two months or more since last October. My immune system is useless! It could also be because I've been doing a college course and so I'm in contact with lots of people and their germs, but it's driving me mad. I'm going to ask my Endo if this is something that is common with hypothyroid, does it weaken your immune system. Also, since I've been on the the Erfa, I seem to be sweating a lot more, but that could be the hot weather. I'm definitely sweaiter than most people! And it all seems to be coming out of my head/face! Very frustrating!

Same here re sweating, very bad lately and I'v been on my meds and have'nt changed them in the last 2 years. Waste of time putting on moisturiser or sun cream because it wont get time to soak in. Wonder what's causing it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 foreverbright

Have been diagnosed with overactive thyroid today I am devastated I have had barely any symptoms barr a slight tremor, doctor has put me on NeoMercazole three times a day. She doesn't seem to thing it is that worrying I don't really have a clue what to expect and hate the idea of long term medication.

Have been diagnosed with overactive thyroid today I am devastated I have had barely any symptoms barr a slight tremor, doctor has put me on NeoMercazole three times a day. She doesn't seem to thing it is that worrying I don't really have a clue what to expect and hate the idea of long term medication.

I have to say I cannot for the life of me understand why so many Gps seem to treat these thyroid conditions like they are nothing. Far from it in my experience, and if not for all the great thyroid patient advocates about the internet, I'd still be in the dark about my own.

You are in for one hell of an education I'd say! This thread is a great start, you're in good company here :)

Hiya, have you been referred to an endocrinologist? If not look for a referral. It is awful to get the news of any long term illness, but I was diagnosed with an over active thyroid at 16 and it is managable.

Over active is vastly different to what most people here have which is underactive. If you have thyroid antibodies its likely you have Graves Disease. If not it maybe that you have a transient case, and while its rare it may mean you might not be on tablets for life.

The reason I say to look for a referral to an endo, is because with An over active thyroid, neomercazole isn't considered something to be on forever. This is particularly true if your a woman who wants to have kids at any stage. An endo is an expert who will hopefully sort the best treatment options for you.

The tremor will go, I've suffered with them on and off enough to know how crappy they are. Hope you get sorted soon but it is a shock to get used to.

I've had to go back on eltroxin so a combo of T3/T4 for now: my TSH is high: but I'm pregnant again so it's probably my hormones going nuts again :) hopefully won't last too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

cyning wrote: »
    I'm pregnant again

Wow! Congrats - hopefully without all the dreadful sickness this time round!!!

• Advertisement

cltt97 wrote: »
    Wow! Congrats - hopefully without all the dreadful sickness this time round!!!

Haha definitely minus the dreadful sickness! I'm sick but a manageable sick :) I have lost 10 pounds but that's ok I had it to lose and I'm 10 weeks so I should be over the worst of it!!

Annoyed my thyroid went a bit out of whack but to be expected I guess!

Haha definitely minus the dreadful sickness! I'm sick but a manageable sick :) I have lost 10 pounds but that's ok I had it to lose and I'm 10 weeks so I should be over the worst of it!!

Annoyed my thyroid went a bit out of whack but to be expected I guess!

Congratulations on the pregnancy that's great! I'm underactive and have been really freaked out by my endo regarding pregnancy because he tells me pretty much every time I go that I might have difficulty getting pregnant at all with my thyroid. Hard to hear aged 27,so great to hear you're doing well :)

Congratulations on the pregnancy that's great! I'm underactive and have been really freaked out by my endo regarding pregnancy because he tells me pretty much every time I go that I might have difficulty getting pregnant at all with my thyroid. Hard to hear aged 27,so great to hear you're doing well :)

I have a 1 year old too :) once it's controlled it should hopefully be fine, but I had a TSH of over 40 when I got pregnant with C! I'm 27 too. I've had a miscarriage aswell but so do lots of people. I'm currently breastfeeding which supposedly reduces fertility: like everything else to do with thyroid I wouldn't worry unless it actually affects you when you do start trying :)

I have a 1 year old too :) once it's controlled it should hopefully be fine, but I had a TSH of over 40 when I got pregnant with C! I'm 27 too. I've had a miscarriage aswell but so do lots of people. I'm currently breastfeeding which supposedly reduces fertility: like everything else to do with thyroid I wouldn't worry unless it actually affects you when you do start trying :)

That's really reassuring thanks :) good luck with the rest of your pregnancy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 foreverbright

Belladawna wrote: »
    I have to say I cannot for the life of me understand why so many Gps seem to treat these thyroid conditions like they are nothing. Far from it in my experience, and if not for all the great thyroid patient advocates about the internet, I'd still be in the dark about my own.

You are in for one hell of an education I'd say! This thread is a great start, you're in good company here :)

God I really hope I am not in for one hell of an education!!! I am really worried about it! I have hardly any symptoms I have been feeling fine apart from the tremor! I really hope it is just a transient case, the doctor never mentioned anything about Graves disease at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Foreverbright, if you haven't already, get a copy of your blood results from your GP & make sure they include the lab ranges as these vary from lab to lab. Then work out where your result is in relating to the "normal" lab range. You can ask for help here by posting them if necessary. These will tell you what exactly your GP checked. You can then follow up with more requests for further tests if needed. I agree that you need a referral to an endo, although many GPs are equally as good, thyroid malfunction is a much misunderstood illness.

I was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid in my late teens, many years ago, and had a subtotal thyroidectomy at 19. I was put on Eltroxin later and functioned perfectly for 30 years. I had 4 children, 3 before I went on Eltroxin, so, lovelystuff, don't be worrying needlessly about not conceiving.

More recent years are a different story with my thyroid but sin scéal eile, as they say!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 _EimearNi_

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Foreverbright, if you haven't already, get a copy of your blood results from your GP & make sure they include the lab ranges as these vary from lab to lab. Then work out where your result is in relating to the "normal" lab range. You can ask for help here by posting them if necessary. These will tell you what exactly your GP checked. You can then follow up with more requests for further tests if needed. I agree that you need a referral to an endo, although many GPs are equally as good, thyroid malfunction is a much misunderstood illness.

I was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid in my late teens, many years ago, and had a subtotal thyroidectomy at 19. I was put on Eltroxin later and functioned perfectly for 30 years. I had 4 children, 3 before I went on Eltroxin, so, lovelystuff, don't be worrying needlessly about not conceiving.

More recent years are a different story with my thyroid but sin scéal eile, as they say!

Was just wondering about these 'other tests' that I'm reading on here. I have been having my T4, TSH and iron checked every six weeks for nearly a year now. I'm feeling very little change in myself even though there has been dramatic change in the TSH levels. Can you give me some advice on the other tests to be looking out for, as I feel a lot of these symptoms could be resulting from something else and are probably easily fixed once I know what they are. My GP is a bit useless to be honest, so I feel like the more prepared I am going into to see him the better off I'll be. He's constantly brushing aside any mention of there being something else causing these symptoms. I have fairly low iron levels as well, and I feel this are adding to the thyroid symptoms, I should be feeling a lot better by now like.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

_EimearNi_ wrote: »
    Was just wondering about these 'other tests' that I'm reading on here. I have been having my T4, TSH and iron checked every six weeks for nearly a year now. I'm feeling very little change in myself even though there has been dramatic change in the TSH levels. Can you give me some advice on the other tests to be looking out for, as I feel a lot of these symptoms could be resulting from something else and are probably easily fixed once I know what they are. My GP is a bit useless to be honest, so I feel like the more prepared I am going into to see him the better off I'll be. He's constantly brushing aside any mention of there being something else causing these symptoms. I have fairly low iron levels as well, and I feel this are adding to the thyroid symptoms, I should be feeling a lot better by now like.

Thanks!

Check your Vit D, next time u do bloods, mine was low so was hubbie & 2 kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 _EimearNi_

Thanks, will do! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

Hi everyone,

I have just received a note from my pharmacist that Neomercazole is no longer available, has anybody else heard this? He says he may be able to supply an alternative but does anybody have any ideas why Neomercazole isn't available anymore?

Advertisement