Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N18 dual-carriageway speed limit?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

update please testament?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Sorry, been flat out with college work this week so havent had much time for anything else, including this speed limit business. I produced my insurance cert at Ennis Garda station today and I asked the Guard in there about it and he just told me if I want to contest it I'll just have to wait for the summons :rolleyes:

Im not sure what station the Guard was from that stopped me but I'll ring Henry Street station first I suppose and see if they can tell me if they had a checkpoint set up that night.

I've been on that road since myself since and I couldnt spot any signs indicating a 60km/h limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

try mayorstone first, its their region AFAIK.

Right so I went into the station there today and told them my story. The 2 Guards at the desk both agreed that its not 60km/h where I was stopped. They said that my best bet is to wait until I get the notice so I'll be able to prove the location. They also said theres a chance that I might not get any notice if the Guard realises his mistake. So I guess I just have to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Keep on at them and get a name and id number for every garda you speak to.
    I got pulled last year on the bike and had left my wallet with licsens tax disk etc at home and had to produce documents yadda yadda.
    I did so and still got a summons for "no insurance, no tax, no production of documents .." and a few other things. Dont take anyones word that "It'll be grand"
    Also re: waiting for it to go to court, as soon as you get the summons (if you do) go in and insist that it be struck out, find the garda that wrote you up and get it in writing, why should you have to take a day off work or pay a solicitor to go to court over their incompetence.

• Advertisement

Thought I'd give this a quick bump. A little over 4 weeks on and I haven't heard any more on this since. No letter came in the post so I'm presuming that the clown of a Guard realised what the speed limit actually is on that road!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Testament1 wrote: »
    Thought I'd give this a quick bump. A little over 4 weeks on and I haven't heard any more on this since. No letter came in the post so I'm presuming that the clown of a Guard realised what the speed limit actually is on that road!

I got a summons about 4 months (maybe more) after being pulled saying I didn't produce my license in the Garda Station. It was a mistake by the Gardai as to be on the safe side (well I thought I was doing the right thing) I produced my license and insurance in Henry Street about 6 days (was given 10days) after being pulled. When I received my summons I notified the Gards what happened and I had to talk to the Gard that pulled me over. First of all it took ages to track down the Garda that pulled me over as he was supposedly always out on duty. When I finally I got him I was told the Garda on duty the day I produced my documents must have only put down I brought in my insurance. I was told that it would be quashed, that there was no reason to go to court and not to worry about it. 3 weeks later a fine for 400euro, 200 for not producing my license and 200 for not appearing in court. Again I had to go down to the courts about this to put in an appeal which took about 3 hours out of work before I found out what the story was. A few weeks later I received a letter telling me when my appeal was being heard. Again another 4 hours out of work was spent down at the court only for it to be quashed straight away.

Moral of the story: If you are asked to produce any documents in any Garda Station make sure you get some kind of reciept to confirm you did so. DO NOT take the Gards word for it that it is sorted.

Also another mate of mine got a summons close to a year after being pulled over for not having a full licensed driver with him so you may get a summons yet. I would think you will win your appeal very easily though and the Gardai should be very embarrassed.

I have another story about something silly a Garda tried. My girlfriend who was in Mary I at the time parked on South Circular Road and when she returned to her car there was an A4 piece of paper stuck to her windscreen saying to expect a parking ticket. It looked like something I'd do up on my computer. She was parked perfectly legal, not on yellow lines, not in a disc parking only area, not blocking a driveway and not near a bend. She then noticed this particular Garda had given about 6 more cars in that area (all parked perfectly legal) the same A4 piece of paper. Luckily my girlfriend took pictures of where she was parked and when her ticket arrived she sent it straight back to the super intendant saying she would not be paying the parking fine and with pictures as evidence. He agreed she was in the right and that they would look into it. To me that reeked of this particular Garda chancing his arm giving a load of people tickets because the mood struck him. It was quashed and we never heard anymore about it. Was he trying to fill some kind of quota? A lot of people do park illegally up there or used to anyway so he probably thought why not give out a few more while I'm up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

sorry for bringing up an old thread but google threw this up when I searched N18 speed limits, the speed van was at the exact spot before you leave the dual carriage way going into limerick, just before the radisson. I was doing about 80kph and noticed a flash coming from the speed van, does that mean im caught or could it have been a car behind me?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

sorry for bringing up an old thread but google threw this up when I searched N18 speed limits, the speed van was at the exact spot before you leave the dual carriage way going into limerick, just before the radisson. I was doing about 80kph and noticed a flash coming from the speed van, does that mean im caught or could it have been a car behind me?

The limit there is 100kph. It doesn't drop to 80 until your on the slip road.

great must have been a car behind me so maybe coming around the bend, but flash went off when I was right in front of the VAN

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

great must have been a car behind me so maybe coming around the bend, but flash went off when I was right in front of the VAN
    Garda van or go safe van?
    Is your car taxed, insured, not declared off the road and is it nct'd. Not sure about nct and insurance, but the vans with ANPR could check a lot more than speed now...

Garda van or go safe van?
    Is your car taxed, insured, not declared off the road and is it nct'd. Not sure about nct and insurance, but the vans with ANPR could check a lot more than speed now...

everything up to date

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

Just passed the go safe van between the clonmacken and coonagh roundabout

Advertisement