Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N18 dual-carriageway speed limit?

Options
  • 21-03-2011 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

Specifically the section just before the turn off for Limerick (near the Radisson)? I was always under the impression that it was 100km/h but I got pulled by the Guards last night around 11.30pm who informed that I was clocked at 97km/h and that it was a 60km/h zone. I know that the section closer to the Coonagh roundabout is 60km/h alright but I didnt think the bit where I was pulled was 60km/h especially since the slip-road off it is 80km/h :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Until you get onto the dual carriage way (in line with the tunnel) it's 50/60kph. The old section of dual carriage way is now peppered with commercial and residential exits and roundabouts so the speed has been lowered along that section.

It is now more like the section of dual carriage way between the Groody and Parkway roundabouts, instead of a full on dual carriage way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

What direction where you coming from Testament?

Coming from Shannon Direction it is 100km/h and 80km/h when you take last exit before tunnel to the roundabout next to Two Mile Inn where it becomes 60km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Twin-go wrote: »

Coming from Shannon Direction it is 100km/h and 80km/h when you take last exit before tunnel to the roundabout next to Two Mile Inn where it becomes 60km/h.

I was coming from Ennis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Think it is the same as twin-go says, 100 till the turn off, 80 down the slipway. Ill double check tomorrow though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Its 100, 80 down the slip way toward the raddison, then changes to 60 when you enter Limerick, just before the clondrinagh roundabout. If I'm reading what you said right, there is no way that is a 60 zone.

• Advertisement

They pulled me just before the slip road down to the roundabout by the Radisson. Exit 4 I think it is for Limerick and Caherdavin. They pulled one or two cars who were going straight on towards the tunnel aswell. I was very surprised to hear him say it was 60km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If you were on the dc then it is 100km/h.

If I'm reading your posts correctly. Ring the Garda station they hail from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Definetly 100kph!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

ya, thats 100kph, feckin idiots. sure the camera van thats parked there every day would have me a million times if it was 60. ring the station and rip into the super.

this has made me quite angry, if its where its supposed to happen, guys getting paid to work sat there for the night issuing tickets to innocent people? Hope they get a bollocking, imagine if the tickets get to court, the amount of time and money wasted...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

My neighbours also got pinged on that route even though they were on DC and were doing below 100!

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    My neighbours also got pinged on that route even though they were on DC and were doing below 100!

Did they get pulled over?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Nope - sent a letter with their reg and the speed they were going. Will have to ask if they got off with it

zuroph wrote: »
    this has made me quite angry, if its where its supposed to happen, guys getting paid to work sat there for the night issuing tickets to innocent people? Hope they get a bollocking, imagine if the tickets get to court, the amount of time and money wasted...

Has also made me highly irate.

I have just drove from Cratloe in to town and back. Its without doubt 100. There are no speed limit signs until you are on the off ramp.

I was thinking as much....When he was taking my reg and checking tax I could see that the sign on the slip road said 80km/h and I was wondering how the f*ck the slip road could have a higher limit than the dual carriageway!

Our conversation went like this:

Guard: Do you know what speed you were doing?

Me: About 100km/h

Guard: Do you know what the limit is here?

Me: 100km/h

Guard: Guess again

Me: 80km/h???

Guard: No its 60

Me: :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,886 ✭✭✭✭phog

If you're sure about the signs, go back out there tomorrow and record the route you drove and ensure the speed limit signs are visible. Then head off to your solicitor.

phog wrote: »
    If you're sure about the signs, go back out there tomorrow and record the route you drove and ensure the speed limit signs are visible. Then head off to your solicitor.

Just so you dont get yourself arrested for dangerous driving, have someone else record while you drive, or vice verca :P
    You are definitely in the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Testament1 wrote: »
    I was thinking as much....When he was taking my reg and checking tax I could see that the sign on the slip road said 80km/h and I was wondering how the f*ck the slip road could have a higher limit than the dual carriageway!

Our conversation went like this:

Guard: Do you know what speed you were doing?

Me: About 100km/h

Guard: Do you know what the limit is here?

Me: 100km/h

Guard: Guess again

Me: 80km/h???

Guard: No its 60

Me: :confused:

If that was me my blood would be boiling and I would be finding it very hard not to get myself in more trouble. I would have asked him to show you where the speed sign for 60km/h is on that road.

I'd be supprised if you actually get a ticket.

On a side note I got pulled over there nearly exactly a year ago when there still was road works. can't remember what the reduced limit was but he showed me that I was clocked at 122km/h :eek::eek:. I was ready for a trip to the station as I also didn't have my lience on me. But, he just took my details and said I'd get the fine/point in the post. The letter never arrived.:cool:

If that was me my blood would be boiling and I would be finding it very hard not to get myself in more trouble. I would have asked him to show you where the speed sign for 60km/h is on that road.

I asked him where the 60km/h limit started and he just said "A good bit back, you're not on a motorway here only a dual carriageway" ....what the f*ck like?!
    Anyway I dont want to press him too much in case he decided to kick up a fuss over my exhaust or my blown headlight (bulb had blown on the Sunday and has since been replaced BTW)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's 100kph. I'd have been quite cross too, but not till afterwards.

I suggest you write to the chief super and provide full details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I was just driving in from Shannon there and turned on my sat nav which tells you your current speed and also what the speed limit is for the road your on. It did switch down to 60 for the section of the dual carriageway about 1km before the turn-off!!
    I always drive that road at 100 and have passed the camera van loads, never got a ticket so I don't know! Also was keeping an eye out for speed limit signs, didn't see any until the 80kph on the turnoff!!

• Advertisement

Of course you didn't see any signs Alan.............because they don't exist.

Stupid stupid Gardai in my opinion. They will get their asses handed to them by the Sergeant/Super from all the complaints they will be getting from that night(most likely)

I recall that, during the roadworks it WAS 60....because it was reduced to one lane as far as the slip road. The signs are since removed making it 100 again. Obviously this Garda has been out of the loop

Berty wrote: »
    Of course you didn't see any signs Alan.............because they don't exist.

Stupid stupid Gardai in my opinion. They will get their asses handed to them by the Sergeant/Super from all the complaints they will be getting from that night(most likely)

I dont know if there will be all that many to complain.....only about 3-4 cars came up on me while I was pulled and I'm fairly certain from the way I saw them come around the bend in my mirror that they werent doing 60km/h either.......still though only one of them got stopped, dont know how long he was kept there because I was just pulling away when they stopped him.......maybe the Guard just didnt like the look of my Levin :rolleyes:......either way I must take a spin out that road again tomorrow and if theres no signs indicating a change from a 100km/h limit to any lower limit then someones going to get one angry f*cking phone call :mad:

Testament1 wrote: »
    I dont know if there will be all that many to complain.....only about 3-4 cars came up on me while I was pulled and I'm fairly certain from the way I saw them come around the bend in my mirror that they werent doing 60km/h either.......still though only one of them got stopped, dont know how long he was kept there because I was just pulling away when they stopped him.......maybe the Guard just didnt like the look of my Levin :rolleyes:......either way I must take a spin out that road again tomorrow and if theres no signs indicating a change from a 100km/h limit to any lower limit then someones going to get one angry f*cking phone call :mad:

Rather then an angry phone call, a civil visit to mayorstone gardai station might get you further

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

no need to go and check, I came back that way this evening from Galway, the last speed limit sign before the exit is way back just before exit 5 Cratloe, its a 100 kph sign. the next sign is a 80kph on the sliproad for caherdavin (exit 4), or if you stay on n18, a 100 kph reminder beyond the junction

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yup just double checked on the way in there. There is certainly no 60kph sign anywhere along the dual carriageway.

I did the same thing this evening and even got angry on your behalf.

Coming back down the N18 and it was clearly 100km/h although my Sat Nav varied between 50/60 and 100km/h along the route clearly down to the fact Tom Tom are useless beggars.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

Okay so today I had to go to limerick from the Shannon side,so I turn left instead of going straight [the tunnel] anyway just as i turn left there is a 80 kph ,I approach raddison go straight another 80 kph sign,driving on towards Coonagh as I get to around the car lot on the left there is a 60kph sign and a good few more 60kph signs all the way till I get to Coonagh roundabout....If i were you I would contact the traffic patrol unit along with the info you have and see what happens.They have been known to rectify situations.All the better if you had a photo of the signs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

The N18 dual carriageway is 100km/hr from junction 3 to junction 9. The only section where it is 80km/hr is through the Limerick Tunnel and 60km/hr at the toll plaza. There should be no need to check signs. NRA will even say it is and they are over the national primary road network.

• Advertisement

Berty wrote: »
    I did the same thing this evening and even got angry on your behalf.

Coming back down the N18 and it was clearly 100km/h although my Sat Nav varied between 50/60 and 100km/h along the route clearly down to the fact Tom Tom are useless beggars.

I also had a look at tomtom on phone this morning, from about 2km back it dropped to 80, then down to 60km about 1km back, despite all the signs saying 100!

Fight the power!

Advertisement